Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Monday dailies
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-11 7:46 AM
5.2 miles running. Bike commuting.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-06-11 11:27 AM
Yesterday was 7 miles late afternoon in light rain at Coventry Woods, Saturday was a humid 3 mile trail jog with the Lady at local trail, and Friday was a spiffy somewhat zippy 7 miles for me on the easy side of Green Lane reservoir. Not sure of plans today. Due for a day off but cool here still thus I will probably get the Lady out for a run at French Creek tonight. Look to get in 6-8 miles.

We've been on operation ready house for company, and finished cleaning and sealing the tile floors yesterday, re-arranged the family room and shifted furniture all around. Blasted some old Journey (pre Steve Perry days) during the furniture move. Only took 2 cd's to get it right. First 2 journey albums. Rock fusion jazz type stuff. Really good. That old stuff always reminds of that summer day at Cleveland Municipal Stadium where we saw them in 77', world series of rock, sitting in the infield getting rather toasted. :blush:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-11 11:37 AM
We did the Operation Ready House For Company a few weeks ago.  So exhausting.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:11 PM
this weather is gorgeous!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:20 PM
Definitely take advantage of the cool weather.
Being able to blast music helps me power through mindless chores.:cool:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-11 4:43 PM
I should be on operation ready house for company- SIL is arriving tomorrow- but I decided I can do it all tomorrow morning. On the bright side, I should win 1st prize in the procrastination contest, when I get around to entering.: pbbt:

Journey. I'm not sure what to think!:laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-12 5:22 AM
:laugh:Good luck with your preparations!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-06-12 7:30 AM
We had not done a deep cleaning in some time, plus my nephew's wife has issues/allergies with dog hair, so there is a challenge!

You laugh about Journey but their first 3 albums before Steve Perry were very awesome progressive rock stuff.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-11 11:27 AM
Nice.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:11 PM
:cool:
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-11 9:21 AM
Nothing yet. I had a 7 mile run on Saturday and a 6 mile run on Sunday. Planning to go to the weights class tonight.

In other news my husband is assembling our recent IKEA purchase (2 loveseats and a couch). I'll let you know how that goes.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-11 11:27 AM
blazerman loves to put stuff together.  About 17 years ago, he built one of those crazy, wooden swingsets with a clubhouse and slide on it, in our yard.  He laid out all 489 million pieces on a few tarps and spent a week building it.  He is the sort who will all the directions carefully, twice, while I am the sort of person who would just hire a guy to do it for me.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:22 PM
We've got one couch together. I'm hoping I don't have 2 boxes still sitting there next month now that the excitement has worn off.:laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-06-11 11:29 AM
I don't know if I would trust sitting on furniture I put together.  Not so handy. :laugh:

Nice runs this weekend. :happy:
:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:12 PM
Nice mileage! :cool:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-11 4:46 PM
I bought some IKEA bureaus years ago. Put the whole thing together, only to find that I had about 4-5 screws left over.:wtf: Sure enough, about 2 weeks later the bureaus started to tilt like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Now I follow Blazer's strategy of putting stuff together.:laugh:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-12 5:25 AM
So far so good. Although we did have little trouble figuring out which cover goes with with cushion. We have 1 couch and a loveseat assembled.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-12 6:28 AM
Awesome! Do you make house calls to NJ?: pbbt:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-13 5:51 AM
This is all my husband's doing so I can't take credit.  I only do the cushions.
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-11 11:20 AM
3.10 miles w/ benji this morning. saw lots of people out walking & with dogs, but nobody else running.

family bike ride tonight
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-11 11:27 AM
Have fun with the bike ride!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-06-11 11:33 AM
I saw a guy running the other night on the trail by the lake (think rolling mountain bike trail) with his son behind him on a mountain bike. By the look of it, his son might not have been having the best of times in the fun section with the small rolling hills.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:18 PM
Family bike ride :hug:
Yeah for dogs! Maybe they were on there Gallo stretch.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-11 11:35 AM
16 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday in the HOTT. Today, as much as it drives me crazy, I joined the ".2" club this morning.  I ran a different than normal route and realized at about 5 miles, I was going to be a bit over 6 miles. So, 6.2 miles for me.  Will go to boxing class tonight.

Yesterday, after my run, I joined 20 yo blazergirl on the patio as we both enjoyed our coffee.  I was reading and she was listening to a podcast.  The podcast was simply listening to people playing Dungeons & Dragons.:wtf:  She is in a D&D club at school, during the summer, she plays it online and now, she apparently listens to people playing it. :roll::roll:  She is such a weirdo, it is a miracle she actually got a boyfriend (who does not play D&D).
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-06-11 11:49 AM
.2  :meh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:14 PM
You could have just said 10k and gotten rid of the pesky decimal
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:23 PM
Tomorrow on to a new distance.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-11 1:17 PM
DH watches some card game thing on line. he doesn't actually play it. :roll::meh: blazergirl is not such a weirdo. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-12 6:30 AM
:laugh:

BG reminds me of my FIL, who was an avid golfer and would always watch golf on tv- and I mean always, the golf channel was on ALL the time. I never got watching golf.:laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-12 7:23 AM
Since I watch golf on TV, I can see why your FIL watched it. Different strokes! :punintended:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-11 11:57 AM
I taught 2 spin classes this morning.  I also did hip & shoulder exercises and swam 250 meters in between the classes.

Yesterday I would up with an 800 - 1100 yard swim (per people who tracked theirs with GSPS watch devices)...or longer, then an 11.5 mile bike.  These were supposed to be 1 mile and 23 miles respectively but Mother Nature had other plans.  The triathlon's scheduled 7am swim start...from a ferry in the Delaware Bay off Cape May, NJ...was delayed a couple of times due to heavy fog.  By 8am they made the decision to pull the ferry close enough so that the shoreline was visible thru the fog and announced they would cut the Olympic swim distance down to the same as the Sprint (.35 mile).  Also, since it was late starting and the Olympic bike course was to be a double loop of the Sprint bike course, they shortened the Olympic bike down to be the same as the Sprint.  In the original plan, the Olympic swimmers would have started first, then the ferry would reposition for the Sprint start and the Olympic competitors would have enough of a head start to be clear of the Sprint competitors on the bike course.  So, it all made sense...for the safety of the athletes competing.  Unfortunately, I think our swim was more perpendicular to the shore the entire way which meant the current, which typically would have been with us for most of the swim, was hitting us from the side as we tried to swim forward.  Anyway, the current & my apparently poor sighting skills in not calm water led me to take far from a direct line to the swim finish on the beach.  I wasn't alone.  I was more fatigued then I should have been at the end of my swim :sad:  then had a 10:28 "T1" time which included leaving the beach, running (sort of) 4/10 mile from there to the actual transition area where the bikes were racked and changing out of a wetsuit, getting bike shoes on & out of transition.  I actually got into a gait that (remotely) resembled running but it was a rough road surface and I couldn't keep up running on it barefoot for long.  I should have had a better bike leg but I was pretty wiped out and it was what it was :meh:

Since I didn't end up competing at the distances I expected I was willing to cover a spin class this morning so a teammate could attend a thing at her son's school.   

On Saturday I drove 90ish miles to Cape May and then rode my bike the 2 miles from race shuttle parking to the ferry terminal parking lot (the parking lot was the transition area where bikes were racked & so unavailable for cars). 

Tomorrow evening I put on my RD hat for the first race in the series that our club puts on each summer.  Good weather with no fog :roll: is in the forecast!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:18 PM
Sorry to hear the race wasn't what it was supposed to be for you. :sad: Mother Nature is a fickle beast.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:41 PM
I got to jump off a perfectly good ferry boat (again) and the current didn't sweep me away into the Atlantic Ocean...so there's that!  :laugh:

I also going to sign up for Masters Swim coaching classes they are going to have where I teach spin.  One morning (6:30am...on a morning I don't teach) a week for 6 weeks, starting at the end of this month.   Won't address my open water sighting issues but any improvement to my form would help.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:52 PM
Swim class sounds good! :happy:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:36 PM
Your race experience really nails one of the differences between triathlons and running races.....weather!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:47 PM
Lightning could cancel both triathlons and running races.  Thankfully tomorrow's forecast calls for 0% chance of rain, 71 degrees and 51% humidity for the start time of the 5K I RD tomorrow night!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-11 2:40 PM
Yeah, but fog and wind don't affect a running race.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-11 1:16 PM
good job not letting all the changes derail you completely. it sounds like you still got a very good (swim) workout in! joining a masters program will help a lot.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-11 1:41 PM
man, what a bummer about your race :sad:
it was nice of you to cover for the other  instructor today :cool:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-11 4:39 PM
Sounds like a mess. I'm sorry things didn't work out for your event.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-11 4:49 PM
:sad: Mother Nature can be such a biatch. But I bet your spin colleague appreciated it when you could cover for her. :silverlining:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:07 PM Edited 2018-06-11 12:16 PM
No run yet today. I don't have one scheduled today but I might go anyway. I will do a core workout tonight.

I had my annual performance review today and asked for a huge raise. It went as well as could be expected, I suppose, since my boss agreed with every point I brought up. He is going to escalate it to upper management and tell them that I am an imminent flight risk, but he cautioned that they might say no (duh :roll:) and then told me he would do all he could to help me get a new job that pays me what I am worth. So, kinda mixed messages there, but I know a lot of this is out of his hands. I know he'll do whatever he can for me to get this raise, but he didn't seem too confident that it would come through. So. I might have a new job soon! :laugh::meh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:24 PM
You got to start somewhere and you asked which is the first step to getting.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:38 PM
Seems like that went as well as could be expected!  Well done and fingers crossed.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:44 PM
Good luck!  Is the amount you asked for a "going in" position or a "meet my full demand or I'm outta here"?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:54 PM
I had a "here is what I know I'm worth" figure (vetted by a bunch of research) and a "but I will settle for this" figure (which was solely for my boss's benefit). Hoping if I ask for what I know I'm worth that they will come back with something around what I will settle for.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-11 4:01 PM
:hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-11 1:14 PM
congrats! I hope they come through.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-06-11 2:44 PM
Good luck!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-11 4:50 PM
Good luck Beastie!
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-11 1:13 PM
busy long weekend with a lot of fun things. so fun that i had to take a day off to fit it all in. : pbbt::grin:

friday - 90 minutes running with DH on roads. we went to a local musuem for a very nice exhibit on pre-impressionism with my mom.
saturday - 2h30 minutes running on trails. it was really pleasant out there except that as soon as i got home i had to go look up what cougar scat would look like. I couldn't tell if what i'd seen was that or maybe a coyote or just a big dog. :shocker!: Ballet in the evening.
sunday - 90 minutes hiking/running on trails. i picked a trail system that is all up or down just because need that more hiking strength. Evidently i found it because my glutes are sore today.  :roll:

today was a day off. :grin:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 3:26 PM
Fun weekend! :grin:

So what type of animal was the poop from? :wtf:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-11 5:38 PM
no idea. dog, coyote or cougar. it wasn't bear. it was on three different trails and all along where a course was marked for a race that was happening that morning. I hope it was from a dog that they had along with them. But i am surprised they didn't pick it up as people are generally very good about doing that on those trails. :meh:
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-06-11 3:55 PM
I read about the 2 bikers up there that were attacked by a cougar. Total panic cost that guy his life. :sad:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-11 5:39 PM
i know. that made big news out here. :sad:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-06-11 1:30 PM
4 miles at noon

I’m going to keep my mileage low for June to recover a bit and work with my PT to address weakness areas. The sky was getting pretty dark and the thunder started booming when we got back to the Y. The shower stayed just a little south of town so we never got any rain.

I finished painting my daughter’s main living space over the weekend and did a few other odds and ends. I was amazed that I got the wiring on her programmable thermostat correct on the first try. Now, I have a few things at our house that I need to work on before any more work at her place.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-11 3:27 PM
How is the PT going? Are your weak areas places you have had problem with before?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-12 5:29 AM
I hope your PT helps you correct your weaknesses.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-11 1:31 PM
35 min yoga and planks here at the house
2.1 mile walk with Olive and the kids rode their bikes.

Late baseball tonight!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-11 1:43 PM
:happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-12 5:30 AM
I am returning to doing planks again thanks to you. So much simpler than trying to recall ab exercises.
- By Tim [us] Date 2018-06-12 9:00 AM
:roll:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Monday dailies