Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / FriDaily
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-08 7:40 AM
Post 'em!

If you had the time and means to do go back and study another field, what would it be?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-06-08 1:29 PM
A nice 7 with the Lady on the hilly trails of Birdsboro watershed last night. Very pleasant weather. Just on the cusp of being shirtless running weather. I forgot that this place is young lovers (and pot smokers) paradise on weekday evenings as my runs there lately have been on weekend mornings. Lots of young folks hiking up and around the picturesque reservoir.

Today, planet of fitness at lunch and probably 5-7 miles over at Green Lane tonight.

I probably would have dug deeper into mathematics. Sick, I know.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-08 7:46 AM
Mile to the gym, 50 minutes of circuit training , three miles home. Blazergirl decided to join the 5:45 am circuit training class before work  this morning and was a beast! She lifted heavier weights, ran faster, and did more burpees than me. <wipes a tear of pride>

If I could quit my job, I would love to go back to school and study the earth sciences. I am a totally obsessed with all this volcano stuff right now.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 7:57 AM
Go blazergirl! :cool:

Earth science is cool!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-08 8:17 AM
Go Blazergirl!!! Impressive!
:cool:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-08 8:45 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-08 9:58 AM
N wants to be a geologist/earth scientist right now. I think it is because she likes to smash rocks. But one of the scientists who got the same recognition R got recently has some elements of geology/earth science and N thinks she is the coolest.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:14 AM
The science course I took in college was Earth Science and I actually thought about changing my major.  My sister's ex-husband was a geology major, it was the most interesting thing about him.:laugh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-06-08 11:43 AM
Nice work, blazer girl!  My DD can kick my butt, easily, but I am not nearly as fit as you are.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:38 PM
You and Philip!:grin: He's been watching videos of Hawaii for days.

BG.:cool::hug:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 7:57 AM
How about those Washington Capitals!!!! Stanley Cup winners!!! :grin::grin::grin::hug::hug::hug: I have been a huge hockey fan since college (my college even got a shout out last night during the game :cool:), and a Caps fan all that time, so it's awesome that we finally won the Cup!!! :cool::cool:

300 yards in the pool last night. My swims have all felt really short and easy so I guess that means my swim fitness hasn't really waned that much since last summer. Yay! :grin: DH is not a strong swimmer, so he's been struggling so far. It's weird to be better at something than him since I am so used to him kicking my ass on the roads all the time. He will probably kick my ass on the bike too so I will just relish this while I can. : pbbt:

No workout on the schedule today so I'll probably just take the dog for a long walk after work.

If I could go back and study something else, it would be exercise science and nutrition. That still might happen in my lifetime. I would be a professional student if I could.

On a related note, I am putting together a PowerPoint presentation for Monday when I get my annual review (first one in 4 years :roll:) about why I deserve a hefty raise. I am including competitive salary information, my accomplishments over the past several years, the promises for raises/promotions that my boss has given me for the past year and a half, and anything else I can think of that will bolster my case. Wish me luck!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-08 8:18 AM
Good luck!!! :grin::grin:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-08 8:22 AM
ooh, hope the presentation goes well and that you get a hefty raise!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-08 8:45 AM
All the best!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-08 9:58 AM
Get that raise! You totally deserve it.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:03 AM
Sounds like you are doing all the right things to get a raise.  If they don't come through, will you be willing to make a move?   The only time I ever asked for a raise, was when blazerman got laid off.  I KNOW I can go elsewhere and make more money and so does my boss.  I told him he had two weeks to tell me what he could do, I got a raise one week later.  You need to be ready to put your money where your mouth is.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:57 AM
I am ready to walk, but my boss doesn't know that yet. He does know that I can go elsewhere and make more money (he actually did that...he left our company to go elsewhere and then they hired him back here at a way higher salary than he was initially asking for the first time around), and he doesn't want to lose me. I just need to let him know that I am a flight risk. It's time for him to put up or shut up!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-06-08 11:42 AM
Good luck! :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:36 PM
Good luck!
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-08 8:20 AM
There was a cool breeze in the air this a.m. so I had to go for a short run!

3 miles run
1.25 mile c/d and Olive walk :hug:

I'm about to take the kids to a kids yoga class. They're excited!

Hmm, I would study landscape architecture. I dabbled in that and kind of wish I had kept going.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-08 8:22 AM
it really was a nice morning :happy:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-08 8:48 AM
Glad you had more reasonable weather:happy:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-08 9:59 AM
today felt pretty good!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:04 AM
That would be both a fun and interesting thing to study!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 11:04 AM
Kids yoga, how fun! :grin:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-06-08 11:42 AM
Nice run!
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-08 8:21 AM
good morning!
3.10 with mrbarney, benji and our foster mary anne. we left molly at home snuggling w/ the youngest boy :hug:
we saw 7 walkers and six dogs - and for the first half of the run, mary anne sounded like a wheezy old lady, going for runs is too exciting and sometimes you just don't know how to pace yourself :laugh:

I would love to go back and do trade school for plumbing, electrical, welding, etc. and then I would have opened my own contracting/handyma'am business and catered to single female homeowners that don't want strange dudes in their house fixing stuff. plus, all of those trades are in high demand right now and I could make my own hours and work for damn self. :cool:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-08 8:48 AM
Tell me about Mary Anne.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-08 9:16 AM Edited 2018-06-08 9:18 AM
we pulled her out of the Dallas shelter on Valentine's day w/ the foster group we work with, Dallas Pets Alive. She had been found in January and had been hanging from a fence by her back leg for 7 hours :sad: she was also pregnant. she was scheduled to be put down the day we took her out - they had spayed her, but her back leg was a mess and she walked like a zombie dog, turning her foot under and had a lot of atrophy in her flank.

from day one, she and Molly have been best friends and they run and wrestle and play non stop. I think it has been very instrumental in her getting full function back in her leg. she's just over 30lbs, black w/ crazy ears and she licks you any chance she gets, legs, hands, face, doesn't matter - she's just the happiest dog. she reminds me a lot of Parker in size and color :hug:

Here is her adoption page
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-08 9:41 AM
What a sweetie! :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:07 AM
SO CUTE!!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-06-08 11:40 AM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:00 AM
I like your alternate work plan.

I didn't realize you were in Dallas. Are you in the city?
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:11 AM
I am - I live north of Love Field in Sparkman Club :happy:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:26 AM
ok-not too far. I live south in Oak Cliff.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 11:04 AM
handyma'am
Love this! :grin:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-06-08 11:41 AM
Wow, that alternative plan sounds really smart and viable.  Any chance you'll go ahead and do it?
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:44 PM
maybe once all the boys are out of the house (8 more years) and we don't have to feed an army, mrbarney would be okay w/ me quitting my full time gig and pursuing this. and if we've paid the house down far enough, he just might join me since he hates corporate america too :laugh:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:33 PM
I would hire you in a heartbeat to get my new house into shape!:cool:

Your foster pup.:hug::hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-08 3:00 PM
:hug:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-08 8:53 AM
Rest day today though I will be out and about on campus a bit taking photos so I will likely get a couple miles walking.

Looks like we will finally have a rain free, warmer weekend!

My hamstring is feeling almost 100% better. Still debating whether I should just walk this weekend or do some running..

I think I might like to do something like what squirrelgirl does with research/history. I find that I get really absorbed in stuff like that. I recently had to track down some old photos at the local historical society and really liked that. And recently I put together a powerpoint on how our campus developed and really enjoyed tracking down old photos...stuff like that.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-08 9:16 AM
enjoy your rain free weekend! and good news about your leg - hamstring pain is the suck :happy:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:08 AM
I love looking at old photos of areas I am familiar with to see how things have evolved.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 11:05 AM
Yay hamstring! :grin:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-06-08 11:39 AM
Nice forecast!  Can you do some run/walk, to test out the hamstring, or do you prefer to just do one or the other?
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-08 11:48 AM
Ha! I was just thinking about that. Yes, I can. That may be the plan tomorrow.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-08 9:10 AM
31.25 mile bike ride. I rode out to Middleton to see three of the six Buckyon Parade statues that I haven’t seen yet. Sadly one of them was “in the hospital” due to storm damage so I’ll have to go back.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:09 AM
I just looked up the statues.....how fun!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 11:06 AM
:cool::cool:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-08 9:55 AM
7.25 miles. It felt better today than yesterday, those storms helped.

If I could go back and do it over, I would study more history/political science OR library science.

We are heading to Philly for the weekend for my ILs 50th anniversary. 50 years is amazing and should be celebrated, but I'm not really excited about spending time with people I haven't spoken to in a year.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-08 10:11 AM
While a totally impractical degree, mine is in Political Science. I ended up double majoring in Economics so I could get a job.:laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:24 PM
Double majoring while working full time. Impressive, Blazer!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 11:06 AM
Good luck with the family time!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-06-08 11:38 AM

> I'm not really excited about spending time with people I haven't spoken to in a year.

:sad:  Will be it be stressful seeing them this weekend?
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-08 11:59 AM
yes, but more so for my husband. I think this will be the last time I see them for a while.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-06-08 12:20 PM
:hug::hug::hug:  I can relate to tough family stuff.  I hope it's manageable for the two of you.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:26 PM
That's tough. I don't speak to Philip's family unless forced to, so I get it, and it does suck.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:50 PM
Things weren't great last time we saw them a year ago. I wrote a letter to my MIL and she never responded. So I have basically had no contact with them at all. R has, and N has, but it is minimal.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-08 12:14 PM
I hope everything goes okay :hug:
- - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-06-08 10:27 AM
6.50 miles
6:43 pace

Zzzzz
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 11:07 AM
Nice pace :cool:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-06-08 1:15 PM
how's wkh doing?
- - By skigirl Date 2018-06-08 11:36 AM
I'd love to do a PhD in the area of policy studies.  I find that area more and more fascinating, plus having a PhD would give me way more credibility (I work in academic research).  I don't have the energy to do a PhD while working, and I don't have the money to quit my job, so it will remain a dream.  : pbbt:

Walked back and forth to Pilates today.  I want to have a streak of hitting 10K steps every day this week, and I'm only at 7,970 currently, so will need to get out for a walk or something later today as well.  :happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:49 PM
Not sure I ever noticed your tagline before. I like it!
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-06-08 12:09 PM
Garden and lawn stuff in the early AM.Later 2 gallo miles followed by what seems to be a weekly MD visit :roll:
Dinner date wirh DW tonight.:happy:

If I were to return to academe, I would study literature  , I guess. Being a techie all my life, I often seem to miss themes and such when I'm reading, so I frequently solicit opinions from others about books in common.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:22 PM
Have you ever joined a book club?
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2018-06-08 12:31 PM
No--I've not joined any book club.The local ones I have  heard about do not seem very attractive from the comments Ive head from members.
But admittedly, I'm not a joiner by nature . :roll:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:49 PM
Enjoy your date! :hug:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:20 PM Edited 2018-06-08 12:22 PM
6 miles this morning with 3 miles at MP. It was hard.:meh: I'm starting to think running is silly.: pbbt: I did an hour spin class last night, supposed to do a 45 minute spin tonight. I walked a few dogs, including a new client, a pitbull named Nala.  She is the sweetest dog, but is absolutely skeletal, really emaciated.:sad: The owner said last year she was actually overweight. She's had every test at the vet, and the strongest guess is IBS.:wtf: It makes me sad just looking at her, poor thing is so skinny!

If I could study anything, I would study veterinary medicine. I'd make back my tuition on my animals alone.:roll::laugh:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-08 12:41 PM
I went to college starting as a bio major thinking I would study to be a vet, but looking back now, I don't think I would be able to deal with the emotional aspects.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 1:35 PM
Yes, that would be the hard part.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-08 12:49 PM
Why are you doing speedwork so soon after your marathon? :wtf:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 1:34 PM
Not really speedwork, more like an MP mile, then an easy mile, then an MP mile... for 3 MP miles, just to get my legs feeling like they can move again.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-08 1:02 PM
I went to the gym this morning and did a "shake out" 800 meter swim, pre Tri on Sunday.

Even if I had the time & means, at a couple of weeks shy of 65, I wouldn't have the motivation to go back...now!  If I was 17 again, I'd study finance instead of economics, pay more attention, work managing other people's money and be filthy rich! :laugh:   I did sort of go back ~10 years ago when I took an 18 credit program in the County Jr. college on Personal Training.  It wasn't necessary for the cycling instructor classes I teach now but was a good background and indirectly led me to cycling class instructing.

...sorta related to that, my favorite Spinning instructor who I took classes with before and then after I got certified to teach and relied on some as a mentor when I first started, posted on FB about moving.  After someone else I know, who lives around the block from me, posted "Welcome to the neighborhood" :shocker!:  I took another look at the front door of the house in the photo and realized it's 2 houses from mine! We were both leaving our houses at the same time this morning so I welcomed her to the neighborhood in person!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-08 1:32 PM
Aw, that's so nice about your fave spin instructor! But I didn't know you were moving!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-08 2:37 PM
Spin, you really need to slow down & pay more attention when reading these posts.  She moved, not me! : pbbt:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-09 6:25 AM
You're right, I missed the "this morning" part, thought you said you were both leaving your houses... I need more time to do my computer thing!:laugh:
- By JimGo1 Date 2018-06-08 7:54 PM
Happy Friday !

5 miles easy today.  Nice run.

I studied computer science and it has been an interesting and enjoyable career.

If I could do it over ?  I love bow hunting and would move to the Yukon or B.C. and guide bowhunters.  I would hunt, fish, garden, run, and bike the trails.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / FriDaily