Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / June Book Club
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-04 7:44 AM
What's on your plate for the start of summer break?
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-06-04 8:04 AM
I borrowed the Human Stain by Philip Roth from the library. Actually wanted to borrow some other books by this author but they only have 3 English books by him (the rest all Dutch translations).
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-06-05 10:41 AM
After reading this interview, I'm tempted to read The Ghost Writer.  I read a novella of his and it didn't do much for me.  As often as I've seen Portney's Compaint referenced, you'd think I'd read that, or at least want to.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-06-05 1:15 PM
Well, I really want to read Portney's, but that book wasn't available in English and I don't want to read it in Dutch.
Incidentally, the two other books available are later books in trilogies or others, so don't really make sense unless you read the other books first. Exit Ghost being one of them (the third book in the trilogy which starts with the Ghost Writer).

Ghost Writer is only 180p so I would definitely go for it.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-04 8:22 AM
I finished The Outsider on Friday, so that counts as a June book, right? I hadn't read any new S. King for a while, and I think it took me less than 3 days to read - I thought the resolution was a little bit of a letdown, but the story itself was an interesting premise and I enjoyed it.

book club pick for this month is Firefly Lane haven't started yet, but I've got 20+ days to knock it out.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-04 9:14 AM

>I thought the resolution was a little bit of a letdown

Shocking that a SK book had that :laugh::wink:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-04 9:24 AM
at least it wasn't aliens with a big giant glass dome :laugh:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-04 9:35 AM
Worst ending ever.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-04 9:35 AM
Yes, yes, that's what she said.:roll:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-04 9:45 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-04 10:33 AM
One of the rare books where I just gave up reading......so glad I didn't waste my time finishing it.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-04 9:26 AM
I have to reserve The Outsider-i'm curious about it. SK books are usually quick reads.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-06-04 12:04 PM
I just downloaded The Outsider from Audible and am looking forward to listening to it.  I'm psyched to hear Holly Gibney is back. :cool:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-05 10:21 AM
Really?  I love Holly!!
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-06-05 11:19 AM
Me too! :grin:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-04 8:54 AM
To Die But Once, the latest Maisie Dobbs mystery by Jacqueline Winspear. Set in the "Bore War" period after the declaration of hostilities in September 1939 but just before Dunkirk. All hell is about to break loose in France and the lead character, a private investigator in London, finds out that the death of a young apprentice painter working on applying fire retardant emulsions to airfield buildings may not have been the accident it appeared to be.

Halfway through and enjoying it. Well written series. Starts out just after World War I and follows Maisie through a number of cases in the period between the wars.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-04 8:55 AM
Book club book for this month is Wild, I've read it before but will probably reread. Last month's was Anita Shreve's The Stars are Fire.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-14 5:41 AM
I have enjoyed Anita Shreve's books in the past.  I have read most of them, I will have to check out The Stars are Fire.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-04 9:29 AM
I am currently reading A Higher Loyalty the James Comey book. It is good, but somewhat sanctimonious. I am glad I am reading it though.
Next for me are An American Marriage, Asymmetry and The House of Broken Angels  They are all due back at the library on 6/20 so I may not get through all of them. So many books, so little time!
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-06-04 12:05 PM

> It is good, but somewhat sanctimonious

Our thoughts exactly!  (S&F and I listened to it on a long drive back in April.)
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-13 12:23 PM
This weekend I finished Asymmetry, very good, but a bit confusing.

But then I started An American Marriage, and wow, I love it. If I could take a day and just curl up with that book I would be pretty happy.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-14 6:05 AM
You've given me some ideas.  I have reserved An American Marriage from the library.

I may try to read Asymmetry after that. I was kind of frustrated by the lack of information available online about this book. The reviews were all positive, but reviewers must be not wanting to give away the plot because nothing is revealed other than a May December romance and an Iraqi-American man being detained at the Heathrow airport.  Somehow these stories are supposed to converge. :wtf: Any way there were no copies at the library so everyone must be wanting to know more about the connection. :laugh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-14 8:32 AM
I think there is little information because it is difficult to characterize. There are links between the stories, but they are not obvious. It is they type of book that would probably benefit from multiple readings. Beautifully written though
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-06-05 10:43 AM
Currently reading An Anthropologist in Mars by Oliver Sacks, and REAMDE by Neal Stephenson. Both are quite fascinating, albeit in different ways. I made the mistake of picking up REAMDE before bed one night and found myself having to force myself to put it down about 3 hours later. It is non-stop, seat of your pants gripping. Typically Stephenson's novels have some slower sections where he lays the groundwork for a certain plot device or technology, but he got all that out of the way in the first 100 pages and then just launched into the action.
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-06-22 10:09 AM
I just re-read It's Already Tomorrow Here by Lucetta Zaytoun.  Apparently you can only get it on Amazon. I will admit I ordered the book because I used to know the author. But it was total fascination that made me read this book twice. When Lucetta's life fell apart she took off for Central America and then Africa - and not ritzy touristy places . Her honesty and courage in telling her story and getting her life back together left me in awe. This is a book I may have to read again sometime. As it is I am thinking of ordering copies for friends.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-04 8:43 AM
I'm about 3/4 of the way through a reread 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I ordered the Dark Tower Omnibus comic collection and will start that next.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-11 7:47 AM
The Dark Tower comics are AWESOME.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-06-11 11:03 AM
Comics don't count as books.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-13 12:48 PM
This one weighs about 10 lbs.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-22 8:23 AM
I finished the comics portion and have moved on to the supplementary materials book. It does a solid job of telling backstories and legends from Mid-World. Not necessary to like the main book series but, man, it's cool to know.

I really want to buy The Gunslinger Omnibus that covers much of the book series in comic form but the least expensive price that I can find it at is $200. I'll get it eventually, even at that price, but it won't be right away.
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-04 9:12 AM
Finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.  It's a book set during WWII about...well a bunch of stuff. Very well written and I highly recommend it!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-05 12:07 PM
I keep picking that up when I'm in the book store.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-06-05 3:07 PM
I liked that one too :shocker!:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-06-11 10:48 AM
me three :shocker!:
- - By jennyO Date 2018-06-04 12:07 PM
Recently finished Ian McEwan's Amsterdam and wanted something lighthearted, so I started Maria Semple's Where'd You Go, Bernadette?  It's great so far!  Really funny.  Almost done listening to Jane Harper's Force of Nature, which is unobjectionable but also kind of :meh:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-04 12:10 PM
I LOVE Where'd you go, Bernadette. It is going to be a movie soon!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-05 1:48 PM
It is going to be a Richard Linklater movie! I plan on reading the book this summer so I can see the movie.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-05 12:11 PM
Reading The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett. Maybe a quarter of the way in and enjoying so far.

I did like Katherine Graham's autobiography, A Personal History which I finally finished a week or so ago. It did start to drag in the end and I thought she went on much too long about the Post's labor struggles, but for the most part, it was an interesting read.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-06-13 11:21 AM
I almost started Patchett's Commonwealth last night but picked up the Donoghue book instead.  I've really liked the other Ann Patchett books I've read.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-06-14 6:29 AM
I liked Commonwealth but so far my favorite of hers is Bel Canto. Really liked The Magician's Assistant too.
- By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-06-11 10:53 AM
Just finished Virgin Territory last night. Ok bio of Craig Virgin. With most runner based bios it gets pretty dry at times just going through different race names and results. Who he lost to or who he beat. Doesn't make much of a story.
No clue what I'll read next.
- By jennyO Date 2018-06-13 11:20 AM
Just started Emma Donoghue's The Wonder and am listening to Stephen King's The Outsider.  I loved Room, but The Wonder is historical fiction, which is apparently more typical of Donoghue.  It's good so far.
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-13 2:40 PM
Why did Bill Clinton and James Patterson write a book together?
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-13 6:06 PM
To get to the other side?

Is this a riddle?
Parent - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-14 12:58 PM
So many questions...did Clinton actually write any? How did this come about?
Parent - By Quagmire [us] Date 2018-06-21 12:20 PM
Actually, whether you intended it to be or not, your answer is exactly right.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-06-18 2:12 PM
I read a review of the book in the WSJ which answers your question.  Here is an excerpt from the (scathing) review by Barton Swaim:

"Mr. Patterson’s purpose in collaborating with the 42nd president, one gathers, was to supply the narrative with a fuller and more accurate depiction of life as president. Indeed, there are compelling bits in “The President Is Missing” about decision making in the Situation Room, the experience of living with federal agents always nearby, the succession-of-power protocol and so on. But an industrious author could easily discover or surmise these details without access to a former president.

Mr. Clinton’s compositional contributions, if I’m right, consist mainly in the fictional president’s first-person reflections on life and politics. President Duncan, in essence, is President Clinton as President Clinton imagines himself to be. There are a couple of obvious differences—President Duncan was an Army Ranger and had a loving wife (now deceased). But this chief executive is a principled and idealistic Southern liberal who eschews petty political motives and whose determination to protect the American people is thwarted chiefly by a sickeningly unprincipled speaker of the House. The latter character’s name is Lester, but it might as well have been Newt.

President Duncan is given to shallow and, I think it’s fair to say, rather Clintonian reflections on what ails politics in modern America. “All too often,” he observes in a bit that sounds as if it were lifted from a State of the Union address in the late 1990s, “those who rail against ‘them’ prevail over earnest pleas to remember what ‘we’ can be and do together.” Or this: “Participation in our democracy seems to be driven by the instant-gratification worlds of Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, and the twenty-four-hour news cycle. We’re using modern technology to revert to primitive kinds of human relations. The media knows what sells—conflict and division. It’s also quick and easy. All too often anger works better than answers; resentment better than reason; emotion trumps evidence.” (Trumps evidence—we see what you did there, Mr. President!)

These platitudinous interjections weigh the book down, even if they don’t ruin it. Mr. Clinton adds nothing to the book’s value as a thriller but much to its capacity for publicity. Dramatic rights to the book were acquired months ago by the cable network Showtime; the story is expected to be a TV series next year. Mr. Clinton’s name shows up on the title page in the same way it forever besets American politics. His foundation’s scandalous solicitations, his party’s struggle with the legacy of his sexual behavior, his wife’s failed candidacies: The one thing Bill Clinton never seems to be is missing. "
- By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-06-15 2:04 PM
Ukraine: A History by Orest Subtelny - over 580 pages, perhaps a bit TMI :laugh: but so far, it's been a good read. 

My two take-aways, and/or questions, so far - and I'm barely 10% of the way through it:
- with all the migrations into and out of the area, just what exactly does it mean to be a Ukrainian, ethnically or otherwise? 
- the role of the church, both Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, in bringing more social and gov't structure, is pretty amazing.
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-18 10:07 AM
Finished The Color Purple last week. I think I read that back in Junior High but I can't remember for sure.  Not sure saying "good book" is appropriate for this situation but I'm glad I read it (again...I think).

I'm currently reading Hello, Universe to my kids. It's an adventure book in which one of the characters is deaf. She is called "retarded" in passing by a bully. After the chapter was over I said to my boys "that wasn't very nice, was it? She's really getting bullied". I wish I had said more...this weekend I heard my youngest call my oldest retarded in front of some family :sad::sad: I pulled them aside and talked to them then about how terrible that is and what an awful word it is etc etc. I was so upset with myself for not talking more about it at the time we read that part. I'm hoping later in the book they come back to this and deal with it as well.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-18 10:27 AM
how old are your kids? My daughter is probably younger but she/we just read the graphic novel El Deafo and it was absolutely amazing. It is autobiographical and deals with deafness and being treated differently. I highly recommend it.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-18 10:29 AM
(almost) 10 and (just turned) 7.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-18 10:31 AM
ok. mine is 6 and a bit too young for the book. I am not sure what a 10 year old would like, but the 7 year old definitely could like it. I liked it and I'm almost 45. :wink:
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-18 1:23 PM
Just ordered it :cool:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-19 7:49 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-18 10:40 AM
El Deafo is fantastic.  My son and i both enjoyed it a lot.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-06-18 11:06 AM
I keep telling people about it because it was so great!
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-18 11:55 AM
I've given it as a gift a few times and have recommended it a lot.
- By old turtle Date 2018-06-22 10:11 AM
I just re-read It's Already Tomorrow Here by Lucetta Zaytoun.  Apparently you can only get it on Amazon. I will admit I ordered the book because I used to know the author. But it was total fascination that made me read this book twice. When Lucetta's life fell apart she took off for Central America and then Africa - and not ritzy touristy places . Her honesty and courage in telling her story and getting her life back together left me in awe. This is a book I may have to read again sometime. As it is I am thinking of ordering copies for friends.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / June Book Club