Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Bribery will get you to the Sundaily
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 7:22 AM
The question for today's Sunday daily:  how do you get yourself to do the stuff you don't want to do?  What bribes do you offer yourself or others, are you more a "virtue is its own reward" sort of soul, or do you go low and resort to blackmail:evil:

Tell us how you got things done today and how you got others to do what needed to be done.  If you really want to spice things up, tell us about one of your most successful bribery schemes or of course, a big fat fail.   Post away!!
Parent - By IB Date 2018-06-03 7:09 PM
I just do what I have to do.

-  --  -  --  -  --  -  --  -  --  -

30.8 miles

warm & sunny most of the day

Saucony Peregrine 4.0
Parent - - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-06-04 10:08 AM
I'm not bribable when it comes to running though sometimes I'll negotiate with myself-- OK you don't want to do ten, lets just warmup... Oh look a shiny object up the road there.

I got out of bed (though a little bit lazily as I was dancing for about 5 hours Saturday) went to church and then went running.  The bribe was running in my favorite place on the planet (which is worth the 80 miles or so of driving I did). 

10+ miles on the dipsea trail.  The last 9 photos here are from yesterday (many of the others are also on or near the dipsea).  I am signed up for the double dipsea in two weeks.  Fortunately the cutoff for me is 5 hours and 14 minutes (the race is around 14 miles) because I found out I'm really slow right now.  There is a world of difference between running on a nicely groomed fireroad on Mt. Diablo and running on trail on the dipsea and I'm really slow.  I just can't seem to get my off the ground but I was going so slowly that I really didn't slow down over the run and felt like I could keep toddling along. 

Best part of the day was reading the dedication on the water fountain at the top of cardiac.  Its dedicated to the late great Sam Hirabayashi.  Sam was a stellar masters runner about 30ish years older than I am.  15-20 years ago we were about the same speed (remember I was 40 and he was 70) and ran lots of the same races.  He was funny, humble and extremely gracious and had a pretty awesome finishing kick for a 70 year old and exuded pure joy whenever he ran.  A water fountain right where thirst runners need it is a fitting tribute.

Heres a link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.36077824170.42410.694549170&type=1&l=3bebb920e7
Parent - By IB Date 2018-06-04 8:55 PM
:cool:
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 8:23 AM
:Crickets: :roll:  I tried.  Bribery plays a huge role in my running here during the summer especially.  I have to get out the door by 6:30 at the latest, so I promise myself good coffee when I get back.  That's the first bribe.  If I'm running more than 5 miles, I might also bribe myself with some shot blocks or sport beans.  I probably don't actually need them, but hey, they can sure taste yummy, and if the promise of a treat gets me out the door, why not do it? 

Today it took all of the above plus a good dose of Gatorade to get me to face a 7-mile run.  I ran 4 recovery miles yesterday and felt the effects of the humidity so badly, I just completely stopped with only half a mile to go :wtf:  The effort was still labored today, but it is done and I didn't try to die in the last half mile :smallvictory:

My last bribery story had to do with getting my garmin synched, or something to do with my cell phone.  I was still working at the running store, DH was working out of town, and I needed help, so I showed up to work with freshly baked cookies and offered them to whomever could fix the phone.  The phone was nearly broken as two guys struggled to be the one who fixed the problem :grin:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-06-03 8:36 AM
Love the cookie bribery. :laugh:
I often do my long summer runs on a greenway that has parking behind a McDonald's. Half way into the hot run I start thinking "frozen Mocha at the finish". :grin:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 9:38 AM
Yum, frozen mocha!

Great race you posted about yesterday!! You rock!!! :grin:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-06-03 11:45 AM
Thanks. I think the competition were running a very relaxed half. :laugh:
BTW - I goofed in my report. I decided to run the half on Thursday not Wednesday. :roll:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-03 8:43 AM
Your bribery story.:laugh:

Humidity kills me.:meh: It was so bad last week at the Buffalo Marathon I was down on the ground with cramps by mile 15.:shocker!: I suspect the severity of the cramping had to do with a salt supplement I took for the first time about 30 minutes before, it threw something way out of balance, but dang! I don't know how you do it all summer!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:39 PM
Yes, it's definitely the humidity that's the real killer.  Either I blocked it out of my memory or the high humidity set in here earlier than it did last year :mutmad:  It's good motivation to keep working on that damn sorting and packing.  Dew point here today was 77; where our son lives it was 49 :meh:  That's just wrong.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 9:39 AM
Glad you had a good run!
We actually have a good breeze today! Like a small cold front. : pbbt:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:41 PM
We had a light breeze from the east.  I loved running east!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:28 PM
6:30? For anything more than 4-5 miles, that is currently too late for me. The sun kills me even more than the humidity.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:37 PM
I run a fine line between having enough light to see and avoiding direct sun.  When we lived in Allen, I didn't have as much trouble with running in the dark -- don't know if it's age or lighting or whatever, but I lack confidence to run in the the dark here.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:31 PM
Sound like a pretty good 7 mile run to me. Whatever it takes!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-03 2:17 PM
that's a great cookie story!  :laugh::laugh:

ugh. it would take a lot more than that to get me out the door and running in that weather. i don't know how you do it.
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-03 8:40 AM
It's tough. I'm the world's biggest procrastinator. If it's something unpleasant, like cleaning up all the mice crap in the basement and I can't put it off any longer, I'll promise myself that I'll get the tv remote that night and watch whatever I want to watch, not Philip's shows about WWI that he's seen eight million times.:roll: If I'm not motivated to run for whatever reason, the promise of ice cream will usually get me out the door.:laugh: If ice cream doesn't work, then nothing will.

6 miles today, first run since my disastrous marathon last week. Felt pretty good, not slower than expected. Much lower humidity than it's been, and that made a huge difference. I had a big green smoothie for breakfast.:hug:

I'm looking at an 18 week plan for Mohawk Hudson, starts June 11. It was created by a Peloton instructor who's also a competitive runner, and it incorporates spinning so I don't have to think about it. Hopefully I'll be feeling better about things by then.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 9:39 AM
Your training plan sounds good! :cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:30 PM
I do not understand why a person with two children ever has to clean up mouse crap. You know what I have never done? Cleaned up mouse crap? Or dog poop or any other gross job a child can do for me. Get with the program!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:42 PM

>if ice cream doesn't work, then nothing will

I agree . :laugh:

I prefer Netflix on my iPad to wrestling the remote away and listening "How much longer is that show on?" all night. :roll:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:43 PM
If ice cream doesn't work, then nothing will.:laugh:  I need more ice cream in my life. 

Gawd, you ran a marathon last week.  I can't believe you're thinking about running another one already.....especially after a move :shocker!:

How far away is the new place?
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-04 4:18 PM
The new place is about 2.5 miles from where I am now.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-03 2:20 PM
i hope all the move stuff will settle quickly. i think that played a big part in the tough marathon.

and congrats to Isabella! I can't believe she's graduating too.  :shocker!::hug:
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2018-06-03 5:28 PM
18 weeks until Mohawk starts tomorrow but who's counting. Is that plan online anywhere?
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-04 4:20 PM
Click. I'm jumping in at week 19.

I feel like it needs more mileage, but the point is that I need to sub spinning for some of the "filler" miles, I'm just breaking down too much.
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2018-06-04 4:54 PM
I can relate to the breaking down which is why I haven't run a marathon since Philly 2015. Increasing your mileage per run and run less times a week and sub spinning the other days will help. You did a great job with that for your Spring race.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-06-04 6:12 PM
Yes, I was really happy with how subbing spinning for the shorter easy runs worked for the Two Rivers Marathon in late March. It reinforced my belief that there are only 3 runs per week you must do for a good Marathon- the long run (duh, right?), speed work of some kind, and either a tempo or a MP run. The rest of the “miles” can be some kind of challenging cardio, like spinning, rowing, whatever.
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2018-06-05 5:19 PM
I think at our age you have to find the right balance to stay injury free and get to the starting line in 1 piece. I have added much more core now and doing some easy runs on golf courses to give my legs a break. Are you running Sunset this year? I should be there.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 9:38 AM
:laugh:

More often than not, my bribery is food related :roll: Like yes, you can eat that brownie and ice cream later if you run.

5 miles with 2 friends :hug::hug: I came in, did a 2+ minute plank, walked Olive and then 42 burpees.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:31 PM
Nice, well rounded workout!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:32 PM
I would run a loooong way for that.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 2:35 PM
What are you trying to say? :laugh:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 3:29 PM
Well, if you promised me that and say you were 15 miles away, I would run there to get it. On the other hand...in order for me to justify both brownies and ice cream, I should probably run as far as I can because that's more calories than I usually consume in a single sitting. : pbbt:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 4:17 PM
:laugh::laugh: understand!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:45 PM
Did you watch the cross-fit competition yesterday on TV?  They were doing lots and lots and lots of burpees.  Ugh! 

What's your obsession with the number 42?  Are you a Jackie Robinson fan? :cool:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 4:19 PM
I didn't... they do their burpees much quicker than I do. :laugh:

So, I just turned 42... but recently I decided I should do my age in burpees several times a week. I started not to long ago at 41... well, on May 28, I had to add an additional burpee so 42 it is! I have a whole year to keep it up. Sometimes I'm silly and try to match the mileage or spin time, etc. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-03 5:33 PM
I'm sure glad I didn't decide to do stuff the number of times of my age!  : pbbt:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 6:21 PM
: pbbt:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 5:54 PM
It was part of some cross fit championship and the competitors weren't doing them all that fast :roll: but they were doing a LOT of 'em!  BTW, happy birthday!!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 6:22 PM
Thanks!
Okay, sometimes they seem to go so fast! I always hated having to do things for time in class. :laugh:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-06-03 9:51 AM
Parenting fail from many years ago:

Walked down to the hardware store with my daughter in the stroller (she was probably about 2 years old at the time)
Bought whatever I needed to buy at the hardware store
Hardware store was giving out free helium balloons; they gave one to my daughter

On the way home, I tied the balloon string around her wrist. She didn't like that. I tied it around the front railing of the stroller. She insisted on me letting her hold it. I tried to talk her out of it. I warned her that the balloon would fly away if it wasn't tied to anything and she let it go. She still insisted. She proudly held onto the balloon for a few blocks, with kind of a "See, I told you so" expression and body language. And then she let go of it by mistake, and it was gone up into the sky. She started crying. So I came up with the genius idea of telling her she gave her balloon to the birds, and now the birds were playing with it, and wasn't that a nice thing of her to do. It worked like a charm. She stopped crying.

Two days later: When are the birds going to give me my balloon back?
Me: :shocker!::wtf:Um, uh...um...they're not...

Plantar fasciitus has reared its ugly head - no run for me today and I need to take some rest time. Will bike later.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 10:14 AM
It would have popcorn lost its helium anyway. At least you didn't prolong the agony.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:33 PM
that's supposed to probably not popcorn.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-03 11:26 AM
FUPF :cry:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-06-03 12:31 PM
Those terrible, selfish birds!  :mutmad::laugh:

Smart move to back off at the first signs of PF - stretch stretch stretch that foot!
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-06-03 2:13 PM
The nice thing about working in a very casual environment is that I can take off my shoe and stretch and massage my foot during the workday.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:32 PM
Ugh on the PF!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:32 PM
Brilliant cover story for the balloon :grin:

I was talking to a runner last week who was going to have to take time off for knee surgery.  We agreed that if you gotta miss some running, the heat of the summer is the time to do it.  Of course, the heat of summer in South Texas might not be quite the same as the heat you have in New England, but hey, at least you have a good excuse to sleep in. 

I hate PF.  FWIW, my remedy is immersion in ice water, which I completely hate.  My foot just laughs at an ice pack alone.  When I need to get out the big guns, I
alternate one minute in ice water followed by 4 minutes in hot water.   It's so messy I only use this remedy when there's a serious problem.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-06-03 2:13 PM
I think I might give that one a try.

The heat of summer up here isn't nearly as bad as it is down there.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-03 2:21 PM
ugh. FUPF!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-03 4:20 PM
UGH. PF is the pits. I'm still working mine out.
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 9:54 AM Edited 2018-06-03 10:12 AM
What I do is make a list and put it on the list. I try to put it at the top of the list so I will do it before I can do something I'd rather do.

I guess I fail when I manage to misplace the list and forget everything on it!  Then there's the list on my phone I forget to look at. :blush:

Today I did a walk/jog recovery run and then finished up by walking each of my dogs. I have to walk them separately. It gives them both some quality one on one time with me plus they have different walking styles. Kind of like two runners who would not make good running partners because they go out at different pace. : pbbt:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:33 PM
I saw a woman twice on my run this morning and each time I saw her, she was walking a different dog! She must do the same thing you do! I am guessing she wasn't a dog walker since I saw her about 6:20 am and then again about 7:10 am.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:37 PM
If I keep this up, I may need to switch them to shorter walks.  I was tired when I got through. :laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:34 PM
I have to make lists, too, and I don't find the phone lists nearly as effective.  Why is that? 

Nice you could give each doggie a walk at its own pace :hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-03 2:23 PM
i often choose not to make lists.  :blush::grin: But i agree, that can be effective.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-03 11:32 AM
If you ignore the stuff you don't want to do long enough and it doesn't go away, it usually becomes so critical that you HAVE to do it...often right away!  ...or so I've been told :wink:

I swam 1200 meters this morning. 

Joined my running buddies at Starbucks after their run/my swim.  Since all our club officers would be there this morning we scheduled/held an hour long club officers meeting (after socializing) to go over some club business.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:36 PM
Since blazerboy is now lifeguarding, he has started swimming laps for exercise after he gets off his shift. I am fairly certain he can swim no where near as long as you can!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:46 PM
If you leave it until the last minute, then it should only take a minute to get done, right?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-03 5:35 PM
I wish!
- - By skigirl Date 2018-06-03 11:47 AM
Interesting question today!  In terms of how I set up motivational rewards for myself - I have a few small things.  The gym I belong to has fabulous showers - strong water pressure and lots of hot water.  Many times I've used the promise of a shower there to motivate myself to head over for a workout.  Other times I persuade myself by reminding myself how much better I sleep when I'm exercising regularly.  The runango step challenge has also been motivational - I am definitely walking more now that I am thinking so much about how many steps I take on a daily basis. 

My family does one or two long backpacking trips in the mountains each summer.  Of the three of us, I am by far the slowest and have the least amount of stamina.  I have to work out year-round just to be able to complete those trips without misery.  Having done a couple of trips that I was under-trained for, the memory of how awful that felt is a consistent motivator to keep training. 

And then there was the summer of 2007 - we had just acquired a super-energetic four-month-old puppy from the Humane Society and it quickly became clear that the only way to keep her from remodelling the house was to give her lots, and lots, of exercise.  So I was out with her, running and walking, twice a day!  I lost 12 pounds that summer.  :laugh:  Come to think of it, I have some weight to lose now - maybe we need to get another puppy.  :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:35 PM
My brother lost weight by walking his dog. The dog needed to lose weight so the two of the worked together.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:38 PM
I think I need to add a long walk into my days if I want to shake off my extra 5-7 pounds.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:48 PM
I lost 12 pounds that summer  :laugh::laugh:

It's pretty intimidating to think of you having the least speed and stamina in your family.  You guys must be a bunch of badasses!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-03 2:23 PM
that's what I was thinking!  :cool:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-03 12:45 PM
10 miles this morning. Usually we meet up on Sundays at 7:30, but that is too late this time of year so I headed out at 6:25. I forget how much less sleep I get in the summer because all the morning runs are earlier.  I want to take a nap, but have two graduation parties today. I really think I am going to skip the second one as I am getting grad partied-out. The one we went to yesterday was held in grad's backyard. And while they have a lot of shady trees and put up tents for the sun, it was 100 degrees out. I suspect that is why I feel so beat down today!

I don't think ever really think about bribing myself to do my exercise, but I definitely think about rewarding myself afterwards. Yesterday, I rewarded myself with a calorie laden frappacino after my hot, sunny, humid 16 miler.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 1:50 PM
All those parties :cool:  Graduations are the best!!

Stay cool!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 8:28 PM Edited 2018-06-03 8:33 PM
Yum! I have never had a frappacino but they look so good.

Ironically when my daughter was a senior, I wanted to go to some of the parties. Unfortunately, i was so worn out from running, working and my own daughter's graduation(we did not have a party just family but still), I failed in that regard. I try to go things as much as possible but sometimes you just can't.
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-03 2:15 PM
hmm. that's an interesting question. i guess i don't tend to bribe myself or reward myself like that. any treat? i'm just gonna eat it regardless of what i did or did not do. :roll::grin: sometimes i do promise myself that if i can knock some work out quickly without the usual dawdling or procrastinating then i can take an evening off to do whatever and not feel guilty. i am a very good dawdler/procrastinator though so that doesn't happen to often. :blush::laugh:

well the "trail date" was a huge success. :cool: 9 miles / just over 2 hours of running on trails with a new-ish running partner. She is in her 60s and while i'm overall faster, she is much tougher than me and has much more experience with suffering. :laugh: I think we are very well matched for the event we'll do this summer (along with two other friends - one who is currently not running). I was really worried that i'd not be able to reign her in (she tends to charge out too fast and hard at beginning and uphill) and she'd be resistant to the hiking i have to do uphill in deference to my hip. I need not have worried. She was perfectly content to let me set the pace and I think towards the end was tending to fade a bit. She also said that i'm an easy trail companion and as a bonus "don't talk too much."  :grin::laugh: Yay! I'm relieved and we really had a nice run. I was able to take us to some trails that i haven't been to in a while as they are farther out. 

I got a lot of work done in the yard yesterday. Laundry is done. It's supposed to start raining a bit this afternoon (good! we need it) so i'm not sure i'll do any more work in the yard. I need to cook dinner for the week (lasagna) and do a bit of work. 10 yesterday / 9 today? i am thinking i need a short nap too. That might be a reward for me! :blush:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-06-03 2:29 PM
Glad to hear it worked out. :happy:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 7:15 PM
Nice of you to make the effort and even nicer it all worked out.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 8:32 PM
Hope the running partnership continues to work!
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-06-03 5:07 PM
Happy Sunday,

I had a nice run today - cool, clear and sunny.   Cruising through the pine trails today and one of those effortless runs.   I've been doing some hill repeats once a week when my girls are at soccer.   There is a nice 1K trail loop that I can do and then finish with some repeats on the short, steep hill by the field.   Luckily it's out of sight from parents and players :laugh:   I used to hate going to soccer practice but now I love it.   Added bonus don't have to stand by all the parents leering at their kids lol...

As for motivating myself to do things like cut the grass, pull weeds, do taxes, I tell myself that it won't be occupying my mind space if I do it so get it done !!!  I find my stress level builds if I have these things lurking in mind that I need to get done.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-06-03 7:13 PM
Luckily it's out of sight from parents and players:grin:

Lucky find!!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 8:30 PM
I think that's terrific time management.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Bribery will get you to the Sundaily