Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Saturday dailies
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-02 7:28 AM
12.2 miles for me. Ran around the north end of Lake Monona, around Capitol square, down State Street to the Union and back through the isthmus. A lot cooler today than it’s been.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-06-02 7:37 AM
:roll:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-06-02 9:30 AM
7 for me last night on the trails of Green Lane and 6 this morning at Coventry Woods. I think it was about 85 last night, so not too bad, and I felt I ran pretty solid but a so-so time for the route according to the watch. Not quite yet 80 this morning so took the Lady along and we trogged up and down the damp sometime sloppy trails in a moist green forest. Black fly season has begun. Lots of buzzing going around my head and no not from any funny stuff. I only killed about 5 today.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-02 11:37 AM
One thing I don't miss about Michigan are the stupid, biting flies. They are the worst!
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-06-02 11:48 AM
I hate the black flies. :mutmad:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-02 3:24 PM
Sounds like a nice run-minus the flies.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-02 11:36 AM
Nice run.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-02 2:51 PM
wisconsin?
- By Tim [us] Date 2018-06-02 7:37 AM
:roll:
- - By old turtle Date 2018-06-02 10:28 AM
13.1 unplanned half
Wednesday my husband and I were walking on the greenway. He sees a sign saying there is going to be a half on the greenway.
Him: Did you know about this?
Me: Yep
Him: Are you running it?
Me: No
Him: Why not?
Me: I don't want to run another one until I'm trained to do well in it.
Him: Do It anyway.
Me: :roll:  This is the one that I got injured in last year. It's going to be hot and humid. I'm not ready for it.
Me 2 hours later: I'm signing up for the half.
Him: :shocker!: Is it because I shamed you into it?
Me: Sort of. But also because I would like to know I can do this without injury and I was going to run this distance Sunday anyway. At least people will be handing me stuff to drink.
It was hot. It was humid. There were awful hills :cry:, music:grin: and a lot of runners. It was very well done. I beat last years time by 13 minutes and some seconds. First in age group. Out of 500 female finishers I was the oldest finisher and I came in 174 out of 500 female runners. Ok. I'm happy that I ran slow but steady, didn't get hurt and I finished with a respectable place. :happy:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-06-02 10:32 AM
:cool: :happy:

Love it.. that is a great read! Bravo to your husband... and you too!
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-06-02 10:35 AM
Thanks. I think my husband is relieved that I came home happy. :laugh:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-06-02 10:40 AM
I'm hoping you celebrated together :laugh:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-06-02 10:40 AM
:cool::cool: You did very, very well!!  Very impressive.  :hug::hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-02 11:38 AM
This is the best! Congrats!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-02 3:08 PM
:cool::grin:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-02 3:24 PM
I love that story. :hug:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-06-02 10:33 PM
:cool:  Congratulations on a great result!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-04 7:31 AM
That's awesome! Congrats on the AG win! :grin::cool:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-04 8:33 AM
nicely done! :cool:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-06-02 10:38 AM
Maybe this should go in the "unburden yourself" thread:

Nothing.  Nothing since last Sunday's 50k.  Since I've been home, it's been all mowing grass and working in the garden.  It's my first serious attempt at a garden in several years, so there's a lot of reclamation going on: tilling under weeds and grasses, digging up volunteer catalpa, mulberry, elm and hackberry trees, and rescuing red raspberries and strawberry plants from 15 in tall grass.  It's a work in progress...
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-02 11:39 AM
That all sounds exhausting!
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-06-04 6:13 PM
It is.  But in a good way!
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-06-02 11:45 AM
reclaiming the garden - it will be worth it in the end.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-06-04 6:13 PM
Like most of my hobbies/obsessions, there won't be much payoff financially, but I'm experiencing a lot of moments of zen right now, and I like it.  :hug:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-02 3:06 PM
i've been redoing a walkway that has needed it for some years. took out a lot of overgrown plants, dug out the paving stones and regrading and resetting stones. very satisfying work! Grass is the worst!
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-06-04 6:11 PM
Grass and crabgrass.  The root systems are unbelievable!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-02 3:25 PM
It's not just gardening-it's active recovery.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-06-04 6:11 PM
I like that :hug:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-02 11:45 AM
Planned on 14 this morning, but with all the picking up and dropping off the various four gals who joined me for portions of the run, it ended up being 16 miles. Since it was going to be HOTT today, I started a bit before 6:00 and ran 5.5 before I picked up a blonde. It was 80 and Danish when I started and 86 and sunny when I ended. It wasn't as bad as it could have been.

We had HS graduation last night. It was 95 when we got to the stadium, but "cooled down" to 86 by the time it was over. At least I didn't have to wear a cap & gown like Mr. 25th from the end of the class of 1560!  He didn't seem to mind as they allowed the boys to wear shorts instead of pants with shirt & tie.

We have graduation party this afternoon and one of our good friends turns 50 today, so we are also going to his party.
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-06-02 11:47 AM
Well done on the run and congrats to the graduate. :grin:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-02 3:05 PM
i wanna know what sort of conditions are Danish? :wtf::laugh:

congrats to Blazerboy!  Have fun partying. :cool:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 5:55 AM
I was thinking that was intended to be "dawnish".:wtf:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-04 8:34 AM
sweet bread like w/ a fruit filled center kind of conditions? :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-02 3:27 PM
Congrats to your son!

I'm glad the run got done.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-02 1:06 PM
SDO for me today.

A couple of friends and I tried to schedule a long bike ride (take our bikes on the train into Philly & tide to Valley Forge & back) but the forecast for the past few days wasn't promising and we'd have been a long ways from home without shelter.  One of them texted me at 6:30 this morning I wasn't up yet  :shocker!:  to ask if I wanted to join him on a more local ride.  A weather app I use said it was raining...it wasn't :wtf: with T Storms for the next couple of hours. His weather app indicated differently.  It was very overcast. I passed on the ride.  Since I was now up I decided to drive a few miles over to support some running club friends doing an 8K race.  The sky had turned blue by then :wtf::wtf:  Hasn't stormed yet but they are coming soon...maybe.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-02 3:04 PM
that is frustrating with the weather. :meh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-02 3:28 PM
I almost think weather apps are mixed blessing. So much frustration with something we can't control.
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-02 1:40 PM
Just checking in to let everyone know I'm still alive. No death from heat exhaustion or thunderstorms derailed my race.

I would have done the 7.7 but I got a free entry so I decided to give the 1/2 a try. I'm glad I did because even though it was as dreadful as I remember (why do good races feel like bad hangovers?), I had PR for the course which makes me happy.  :happy::happy::happy::happy:

This race has always been my nemesis due to the 5 killer hills and June heat. While I have one 1/2 marathon PR for the 1/2 marathon in general, this one has always been my worse race time wise so I consider it in a class by itself. To date my fastest time has been 2:12 which is way off of my usual 1/2 times. This year I nailed 2:05:35 so I lost 7 minutes.  :cool:

Next year, I may try this one again and if I do I'm going to try to get my time under 2 hours. :grin:  First, I have to get over how poorly I feel right now, but I'm thinking about it. :laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-02 3:02 PM
congrats! that's a huge course PR for such a hilly race (and heat!). how was the weather? i know how the hills were. :grin:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-02 3:29 PM
It was hot and humid. :laugh: A rain storm came through about an hour before. There ws lightening around so they delayed the start by 30 minutes. It was actually a little cooler than predicted.

I got a l little weary of all the people complaining about the heat days before the race even started. Hello? Did you do any research before you signed up for this race?  :roll:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-06-02 3:49 PM
Congrats on the PR!
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-06-02 4:47 PM
Nice going on losing 7 minutes. Dang good race!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-04 7:33 AM
Congrats on the course record! :grin::cool:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-02 3:00 PM
10 miles this morning. I ran a couple miles to the start of the group run, grabbed chalk and then started off to chalk the 5 mile loop. We went through a very hilly park that has really nice old growth forest in seattle. Hilly and not trails that people typically get onto so that was fun if slow and lots of turns (ie lots of marks!). I did get dive bombed by a crow a couple times. I then added on more miles through the same park to make it an even 10. Pancakes then lunch :roll:, yard work, laundry and now settling down for a bit of work and then hopefully a nap. :grin: There is a soccer to watch too later today.

tomorrow i'm going out trail running with someone. it's kind of like a running date. we'll see if we are compatible. She's in her 60s and kind of a crazy hard charging runner and monster endurance person. i'm overall faster than she is but she's certainly tougher. :laugh::hug: We will be doing the big event this summer together and i hope we can work out a way of running/hiking together that will work. I"m a little nervous. :blush:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-02 3:35 PM
Good luck with that tougher person!:laugh:

Interesting to hear how you mark your course. I used to use little flags, but this was road and not trail.  Picking them up after was a pain.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-06-02 3:39 PM
i carry a water bottle with a bite valve that is filled with "chalk." Now i had some guy come up to me when i was running in the park who was obviously going to get all bent out of shape about me using "chalk" to mark in the park. I can't remember how he was asking but he was concerned about using actual chalk. I'm actually using flour that has a little bit of contractor's chalk in it to make it a slightly orange color. very easy to put down in arrows and with rain, it just washes away. So no need to pick it up although in some parks we really try to put minimal arrows or come back through and scuff out the arrows.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-06-03 6:02 AM
The woman who does it now and I have talked about being watched by the cops when putting out our flags.  (I have been asked a few times if "everything is ok?" )It does look a little suspicious but legally you are not even supposed to put up garage sale signs though everyone does it.
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-06-03 4:53 AM
Hope the running friend works out. Let us know how it goes.
- By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-04 9:24 AM
drove up to Durant, OK for the Magnolia Rotary Club bike tour. I think it was their 4th year doing this and bless their hearts, they could use some more help w/ set up. We paid online and I mailed in our waivers about 3 weeks ago. When we got to the school, we were registered, but they made us resign the waivers because "oh, all of our mail got stolen so they probably took your forms too" what?

Ride started at 8am and we were signed up to do the 67 miles. The weather was in the low 80s and just a bit of wind, so I figured we'd be good to go. Rest stops were pretty paltry, homemade oatmeal cookies (which were delicious), bananas, water and maybe protein bars. the second stop was right across from a convenient store so we ran in there and filled our bottles all the way with ice, since they didn't have any available at the tables. and it's a good thing we did. The third stop which was the turn off (67 miles go straight, 41 miles take a left) had 1 banana, and some cookies. they were completely out of water and had no sports drinks at all. some old coot was giving the volunteer the what for, about how poor their planning was, and the danger that it posed in the heat (it was probably close to 90 by now) and they should have been aware of how many riders they had and how many supplies they would need. apparently last year they had about 40 riders and this year close to 100 - so one would think that buying enough waters for everyone to get one would be common sense, but I guess that wasn't that case this time. The roads were good, and the route was well marked, so I wouldn't mind going again next year, but I think I would be hesitant if they don't get their act together.

About 5 miles before that stop, mrbarney ran out of gas. he said his legs were jello, and he was struggling to keep a decent pace. I felt really good, and had really hoped to knock out the full 67 miles, but it was obvious that just finishing 41 was going to be a struggle for him. I told him that if he had had something besides popcorn for dinner the night before (at the movies) maybe he would feel better. the last stop was much better stocked with pickles, water, cookies, etc - so we drank some pickle juice and headed out to finish up the last 7 or 8 miles to the high school. mbarney struggled the whole time and about a mile to the finish the sag truck even went by and asked if he needed a ride in (he refused of course). we made it to the finish - grabbed our bags and got nice warm showers - which was one thing that was done well - then went to get hot dogs that the rotary club was grilling. turns out that's all they had. no chips, no soda, just hot dogs. and some waters. :roll: :sad:

on our way out of town we filled up the gas tank, and I got some chips, a dr pepper and a milky way and that made me happy. mrbarney just laid back in his seat and felt miserable for the 95 miles home.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Saturday dailies