Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / New Month, New NRR- June
- - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-01 9:57 AM
Happy June everyone.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-01 10:59 AM
I've been making yogurt regularly for the last month or two. The yogurt I made this time is amazing!! I've been reducing the fat, at first it was full fat, and this round was 2% milk.  I would have thought this would make it runnier, but it seems to be making it thicker.

In other news, my car is not totaled and comprehensive insurance covers animal accidents, so I've got a low deductible and it will be restored fully next week.
Parent - - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-02 4:15 AM
I tried making yogurt once, I didn't go well with our old oven since it was very unreliable. I should try again. How do you make it? In the oven at low temperature or some other way?

Glad you got good news on the car and that you have good insurance.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-04 2:29 PM
I use the Instant Pot and it controls the temp really well.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-06-02 8:22 AM
What happened to your car? I missed it.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-02 10:08 PM
Reebs' car vs. raccoon. Car won but sustained serious damage in the process.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-06-03 5:24 PM
Oh no! Glad you are ok.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-04 2:30 PM
A very large raccoon made me make the choice of killing him or hitting the car next to me.  So I killed him. :sad: And he did about 1.1k of damage to my car on the way. :shocker!:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-06-05 10:46 AM
Oh no. :shocker!:
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-06-04 8:38 AM
My instant pot has a yogurt making function but I haven't been tempted to try it yet. Good to know that homemade can be so good. :happy:

I'm glad it won't be difficult or too expensive to fix your car.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-04 2:29 PM
That's how I do it.  It is SO easy and so good! Plus, making plain I can control the sugar and flavor by adding other things to it-- jam, or honey, or herbs.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-04 8:39 AM
Greek style yogurt or regular? I do like the nonfat Greek yogurt they sell at Costco. Especially with berries.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-04 2:30 PM
regular, I guess. I think the only difference is how much they've strained it, so I could strain it more.  The yogurt is very smooth.
Parent - - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-02 4:26 AM
Happy June! Hope June will be better than May over here, we had rain every day in May and got a record amount of it. I really didn't want to go back home from Denmark where it was so sunny and warm. But you know, jobs, family and all that.. :wink: Actually, Denmark, Norway and Sweden are dealing with water shortages and too much heat while we are freezing over here.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-06-02 8:18 AM
May here we had rain every day and got a record amount of it. But I guess at least I am not freezing!
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-03 5:03 AM
No I'm guessing we had different temperatures! :laugh: We also had very strong winds, unusual for May.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-06-03 5:24 PM
I'm glad your getaway was sunny.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-06-04 2:39 PM
June is weird... after May had days of high 80° and 90°F temperatures, we had a really chilly first weekend of June with evenings in the 50° range.

But... 7 girls aged 5-10 and 4 adults went on a "Backpacking 101" class that I coordinated. It was semi-supplied - the girls only carried in part of their gear, the adults carried in more, and the rest was driven in to the site earlier in the day.  (like the "backpacking tents" that council supplied us that weighed at least 15 lbs each :meh:)

Friday - met after dinner, hiked in about 1.75 miles, took forever (2.5 hours) to do so as the kids were not used to the idea & anything unknown is scary.  Set up tents on the isthmus/dam between the lakes, goofed around, and had some fun. Drove one family home at 10pm because a girl spiked a fever of 103, wound up being treated for strep.:sad:

Saturday - painted the "Scary Pavilion" in a no-longer-scary color (20'x20' probably, took 4 gallons of paint) as a service project & then hiked 2 miles out to a restaurant for burgers and ice cream, plus 2 miles back quickly to get in before the rain showers.  The girls made that hike back in less than an hour. :grin:

Sunday - pack up, hang tents in the shelter to dry because there were heavy storms overnight: 5 flashes of lightning over 10 minutes, so I went with 'shelter-in-place' rather than dragging children out of tents in pouring rain at midnight to force-march to a true shelter building...yours truly didn't get much sleep overnight while watching the weather radar. I went back with strep family (now on abx) and sorted/stowed the now-dry tents while those girls got in some more camp time.

7-8 total miles hiked, half with a full pack :cool:

A gorgeous weekend, some mosquitoes, but nothing oppressive. Saw squirrels, rabbits, enormous carp in the lake, turtles, deer and a fawn, and a gazillion bugs I cannot identify, but didn't really bother us.  I now have three new families converted to "growing into backpacking" and some talk was made of doing the Ice Age Trail in short weekend stints as a group. Hopefully council will learn from this event that we can use the back side of camp without putting any strain whatsoever on the 'front side' and let us use that pavilion during the summer as a rest stop or location for other events.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-04 3:46 PM
I love the idea of a backpacking trip that lets you hike to a restaurant for dinner!!:laugh:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-06-04 9:12 PM
We picked that because we could hike for ice cream.  Kids will do a LOT if they know ice cream is at the end :cool:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-04 10:29 PM
Truer words were never spoken.

Grownups will do a lot for ice cream too!
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-05 8:21 AM
that's what I was thinking :laugh:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-06-05 11:07 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-06-05 4:50 PM
One must know what properly motivates the troops :wink:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-06-04 7:09 PM
All things considered, it sounds like a very successful backpacking class/trip! :cool:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-06-04 9:13 PM
It was :cool: I'm hoping this is the first of many.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-06-05 11:07 AM
"Scary pavilion"?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-06-05 4:48 PM
https://www.gswise.org/content/dam/girlscouts-gswise/documents/Camp%20Silverbrook%20Facilities%20and%20Fees.pdf

the site called "Eagle Pavilion" is supposedly scary :roll:. It's a picnic shelter with manual well pump and pit latrines where you can pitch a tent with nobody around you for at least 1/4 mile.

But, it is now a lighter shade than those photos. Looks lovely with a fresh coat of paint. :grin:  I might get photos on Facebook sometime in the next week
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-06 3:26 AM
It does look a little spooky...
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-06-05 11:06 AM
Still working on right lower leg issues. The leg/ankle/foot bones are all back in alignment and everything is working...more or less. The muscles are still sluggish and need some extra stimulation to "wake up" and start firing normally again. I tried a little run yesterday and it was encouraging in that everything was moving the way it was supposed to, and my joints didn't feel jammed up and hurty, but my right leg felt like it was pushing through knee-deep mud. That should improve pretty soon as I keep using the muscles.

T-Bone and I attended his father's funeral last week. The military service was very proper and very moving, and the extended family gathering afterward was just lovely. T-bone's stepmom's family is large and Irish and close-knit and they clearly love each other a lot and seem really happy together. They also very clearly embraced T-bone's dad as "grandpa", and his children as part of their clan, too. It was so sweet to see that. T-bone was pretty wiped out from the emotional aspect of losing his dad, but he was buoyed by the family contact after the funeral.

He and I are now looking forward to going on a trip to Holland and Norway in a few weeks. We're traveling with a couple of friends and have planned an FE with Magali and her BF in Amsterdam. :happy:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-05 1:08 PM
Sounds like an overall positive experience at the funeral.

Enjoy the vacation, sounds like fun
Parent - By kcp65 [us] Date 2018-06-05 10:04 PM
Oh, Zip, I can relate to the "not quite right" feeling even as you are able to be active again. My knee is not painful, but it gets very stiff and just doesn't feel right. Now that I am out of the insane work situation I was in, I am hoping to have more time to focus on things like physical therapy, which I shortchanged the first time around. :sad:

Friends of mine who have had knee and hip replacements or other surgeries swear that things DO get back to normal, so I am holding onto that.

Sorry to hear about T-Bone's dad. Losing a parent sucks (to quote one of my dear friends). Glad to hear that he has support from his family and of course from you. :hug:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-06 3:24 AM
When I had my ACL surgery things felt very similar. It was very frustrating. And some of the issues I encountered came from trying to do too much too soon. Also very frustrating and sometimes hard to tell the difference. It does get better. It will come back.

Incredibly jealous of your trip! And the fe! Say hello from us! And eat all the herring you can get your hands on.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-06-08 5:09 PM
Yes! After my own ACL surgery, my quad muscles took a while to wake up. Same sort of thing with the misalignment: it takes the neural connection a bit offline until things are back in place and the nerve signalling resumes. FWIW, it's been a few days and it feels like everything is working now. I am ramping up activity slowly, because the sidelined muscles are getting super tired with just minimal activity. They need time to rebuild.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-06 1:19 PM
You are pealing back the layers of injuries.  Hopefully, it will wake up quickly.  I can echo kcp's sentiment of "tight, and doesn't feel quite right".  I still have swelling, and think it's mostly from the microfractured area.  Biking is fine, but hiking I am still limited to 4-5 miles, and very little downhills.  I have lots of swelling for a week after hiking.  It seems upsetting, but a few months ago, I would have swelling from using the stairs at work, or if I went for a walk at lunchtime, I couldn't bike that evening...so there is progress, it is just slower than one would like.  I have done a 48.5 mile hilly ride and been fine.  Now I am trying to deal with not taking the anti-inflammatory, as it gives me night sweats and it's just too hard to sleep.  So, I'll see what kind of exercise I can do if I don't take it for a few days.

It's so nice that the funeral was moving and that the family is so close like that.  :hug:

Have fun on your trip!  :cool:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-05 12:16 PM
Random question for those who have a spouse/partner or other adult that they live with.  How often do you communicate during your work day? What modalities? What topics?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-06-05 12:24 PM
T-bone and I text or e-mail a couple times a day about...whatever. Sometimes just to check in and say hi. Facebook messenger is sometimes what we use, but he can't use it at work; only when he is out of his office for lunch. Today, for example, I e-mailed him some information about our upcoming trip. Yesterday he texted me a couple times about how work was going.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-05 1:06 PM
Text (or FB messanger if sending random FB things back and forth). Sometimes it is only 1x (as in one small text back and forth) othertimes could be 10x just depends on the day. Today it was me sharing a deal on diapers I found, followed by commentary on a cute picture of baby B from daycare, and then him finding random shopping deals and sharing. Sometimes about dinner plans or random happenings at work. Just depends.

Occasional emails too, usually just if one of us found a link to share when we weren't on our phone.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-06-05 4:10 PM
Texting.  Rarely email.  Even more rarely phone.  If we're both in the same city, texts are usually about logistical stuff: groceries to pick up, who's taking 2.0 to biathlon practice, etc.  If I'm away on work travel, then texts are more along the lines of "how's your day going" and "good night, love you."  I'd say it's rare that there are no texts, so the usual range would be 2-10, probably, with an average maybe of 5-6.
Parent - By kcp65 [us] Date 2018-06-05 9:59 PM
Texting. Usually 3-4 times a day, just to check in and see how things are going!
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-06 3:17 AM Edited 2018-06-06 3:19 AM
Text and gmail chat. Depending on the day it's either just one or two messages or way more. Topics: coordinating schedules/dinner/social engagements, interesting articles, or work related questions or just checking how things are going.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-06-06 6:15 AM
text, usually several times per day. Sometimes about kid related logistics. More often about random news articles, funny stuff, I love you, etc. Probably once a week or so a phone call, usually when I'm going to be gone later in the evening, then I'll call just to chat.
Parent - By BoredTemp Date 2018-06-06 7:07 AM
we do not communicate during the work day. (well, during *his* work day - he's a teacher, I'm in finance)

We see each other in the morning
He calls me around 4:00 when he gets home to check in and ask what is for dinner and if I have any instructions for the child for the evening
I call when I get on a train so he knows when I'll be home (usually around 6 or 7)

I will sometimes send him an email or something knowing he won't see it till after he gets home, but that's about it.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-06-06 7:39 AM
We usually send Skype chats a few times throughout the day: usually a check-in, an interesting link or two, and then something related to commute logistics (what time we're planning to wrap up, etc.).
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-06-06 9:55 AM
I will text J occasionally (once a day if that) at work but I don't typically expect an answer and I only call him if it's something REALLY important (not sure when the last time I actually called him at work). He is a pharmacist and his store is very busy so it's not easy to get to him. Also his work building is funky and while he can get texts and emails and stuff he often can't open if pictures or documents are attached. He said one of his partners gets calls from his wife a LOT and it makes him (the partner not J) nuts because it's disruptive and hard to get things done (attention to detail is very important for a pharmacist). The partner has asked her not to call him so much but she's needy. He does choose not to answer if she calls his cell but if she calls the store he has no choice but to answer.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-06 11:20 AM
Interesting. I was thinking about this because MCF and I are totally hit or miss as to talking during the work day. Sometimes it is a phone call of up to 20 min if we have something pressing to discuss, other times it is not at all.  we never text and we only email if it is a "i was thinking about this, get back to me on your own time" kind of discussion.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-06 2:50 PM
Yes, that's what we are like. Not much contact unless there is something we need to decide or discuss.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-06 1:12 PM
Mostly email.  Sometimes not at all, but other times many emails per day, very short ones (something funny happened, or a single word: Lunch?).  I can't have my cell phone near me, but will get texts on the way to the bathroom; so it drives me nuts if he texts me something urgent.  We never have long conversations during the work day; and we almost never call.
Parent - - By kcp65 [us] Date 2018-06-05 9:59 PM
Happy June, everyone! I'll get right to the point: I have a new job! And... it's the one I really wanted! Back to public education for me (with a union to boot)!

It still hasn't quite hit me yet. Cleaning out my classroom and saying all of the good-byes seem surreal after 14 years.  This past year was it for me. Aside from the ever-increasing toxicity and abuse we were subjected to, I realized that the school I knew and loved is gone for good.

I leave with a clear conscience, knowing I did everything I could -- and more -- to try to spur the people who are ultimately responsible for overseeing the school to action. I paid a heavy price for my outspokenness, and they ultimately refused to listen to the overwhelming evidence presented to them by countless faculty/staff members.

So, to quote Rod Stewart, "...there ain't no point in talkin' when there's nobody listening..." :wink:

Thanks to all of you who listened to and supported me through these years of struggle! :hug:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-06 3:15 AM
Wow, congrats on getting out of the crappy environment and landing where you wanted to be. :) 14 years is a long time.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-06-06 7:40 AM
Wow, congratulations on making the change! I hope you enjoy your new job. :hug:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-06-06 8:55 AM
Congratulations on the new job!  I know you've been frustrated for long time, so I hope this new start will be good for you. :happy:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-06 10:58 AM
Congrats! Onward to new (old) adventures
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-06 1:20 PM
Congratulations!!  I'm so happy for you!
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-06 2:50 PM
Congratulations! :grin: Hope you will be a lot happier in your new workplace.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-06-07 6:48 AM
wow, that is truly wonderful news! Congratulations, and best of luck with your new adventure. I know these past several years have been so trying for you.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-07 3:32 PM
Congratulations on the new job -- with union protection as well!

Same grade level and subject?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-06-08 5:10 PM
:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

This is GREAT news, kcp!!!
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-06-07 10:21 AM
I'm heading to camp Woodruff on Saturday as part of the adult leadership group with the scouts - it is also Gavin's first time as well. So many sad and mixed emotions I hope I don't end up paying emotionally for this trip. I had a very hard time afterwards when I took G out to California in January to the amusement parks we would have gone to with Evan (and had in the past) it just made me so sad and depressed. Gavin on the other hand had a blast. Woodruff is the scout camp Evan went to twice, the summer before his diagnosis and the summer right after he finished chemo - I took him that summer and drove him around - and he never made it to a third. He had almost a spiritual experience there he really fell in love with scouts and the outdoors the first time and it just gave him so much to look forward to during the dark days of his chemo. It figured prominently in his final poem as well. But Gavin deserves to have a fun experience too. I spend most of my sad emotional life hiding it from him, he knows I'm sad but to see or hear me talk about it really puts him in a dark place. Pray for no rain, rain sucks sleeping in a tent even if it is platform.
Parent - By BoredTemp Date 2018-06-07 1:07 PM
:hug:  I hope you find some peace in the woods and that Gavin has an amazing time.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-06-07 2:05 PM
:hug:
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-06-07 2:37 PM
You are such an amazing mom. My prayers that it will be better, emotionally, for you than what you are expecting; and that Gavin will have fun too. AND no rain. :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-07 3:34 PM
Praying that Gavin has a fun experience, you will not suffer unduly, and that the weather stays dry.

And no unwanted critters.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-06-07 6:34 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-08 3:36 AM
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-11 9:35 AM
:hug::hug:  I hope it goes as well as expected, and that you can find peace in the woods.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-06-12 11:55 AM
sending so much love. I hope you are having a restful and enjoyable week. :hug:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-06-18 9:00 AM
Camp went very well. For those on FB there are a ton of photos and comments. For those not, why are we not friends? : pbbt: Gavin overall had a very good experience. I missed Evan so much but I seem to have escaped relatively emotionally intact. So far.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-06-11 9:45 AM
June is busy for me!  Just got back from a wedding in Nebraska, for my nephew!  This is my second outdoor summer Nebraska wedding, and they have both been beautiful, but so hot and humid that it was an event to survive more than anything else.  The heat index was 103...  :cry:   A grooms man almost passed out, wobbled over to the shade to get attended to, within minutes of the event starting!  Well, we had all been there for 3 hours prior to the event starting...  Then he later passed out and got attended to again.  The brides great-grandma passed out, fell and bumped her head.  I think she was OK, but didn't really hear anything about it after the initial report. Mostly, I fanned myself, sweat running down my body (and I was wearing a sundress!), while also using the fan as a flyswatter for the horseflies that were eating me! 

The bride and groom are .. not very organized.  The groom's sister gave us a ride to the airport yesterday, as she was also taking a few of the items that her brother and new SIL forgot to take to their honeymoon.  Like...drivers license (but they had passports), casual clothes, phone charger, and ... birth control pills!  Hope they don't end up with a honeymoon baby!!  :laugh::cry:

Is it common now to have the attendants bar hop for an hour between the wedding and the reception?  This is the second Midwestern wedding I've been to where this happened.  I find it very rude...
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-11 9:48 AM
That whole wedding sounds poorly planned. The only way it would be ok for the attendants to bar hop would be to provide EVERYONE with appropriate alcohol and food for that hour. Yes, it is rude.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-06-11 12:31 PM
We had alcohol (beer and wine) and popcorn.  The dinner starts after they get back.  But the reception and wedding are at the same site, so we are all sitting around a hot barn (where the reception is held) waiting for the wedding party to get back...  In addition, they chose 12 people out of the crowd to help serve, so they had to dish up from the buffet and take the plates to people.  I was shocked and wondered why some stranger gave me their food!  Then I later had to go back for mashed potatoes, as a tablespoon is not enough!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-11 9:31 PM
They chose people to serve? Um, NO. If it is a buffet, everyone gets in line.

And no I do not think it is acceptable for the wedding party to take off and bar hop. If the newlyweds and their families are off taking pictures, I think it should be the wedding party's role to be hospitable for all the guests. There are many other times when they can hit the bars. Not when all the guests are sitting around waiting for dinner.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-06-11 10:58 AM
I went to a wedding in Nebraska a few years ago where the wedding party took a trolley car from the church to the reception.  They all got drunk on the way and the bride was vomiting most of the night.  Naturally we could not start eating until the wedding party was seated, including her highness.  :roll:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-11 12:32 PM
:roll::mutmad:
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-06-11 11:58 AM
I have been to several weddings where the wedding party disappeared for at least 90 minutes between the church and the reception venue. Typically there has been a cocktail hour for the guests at that time, but I (selfishly) find it annoying because I don't drink, hate small talk, and at that point probably just want the damn thing to be over so I can go home and put on my pajamas. :laugh:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-11 12:32 PM
Yes!!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-11 9:31 PM
The usual reason for that is pictures, right? That is kind of acceptable but I think pictures should be taken before the ceremony and not when all the guests are waiting for dinner.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-18 10:02 AM
Yea I think that used to be the reason since pictures before weren't super common but now it seems like almost everyone takes the majority if pictures before the ceremony. I think it is crazy when people do a big break like this between ceremony and reception when it is as the same venue. Unless you're giving people real food/appetizers, it is weird to just stand around for an hour with nothing to do!
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-06-18 1:48 PM
there was the old tradition that the groom shouldn't see the bride the day of the wedding until the wedding so pictures couldn't be done until after - but since they live together now a days.....
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-18 2:29 PM
True, but if the wedding is in the afternoon or evening, it's either do the pictures beforehand or lose the light.

Times do change but I'm not sure why the tradition that the groom shouldn't see the bride until the wedding? Unless he was supposed to be gobsmacked by her dress or her looks.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-06-19 5:55 AM
Yes, they live together and were running around taking pictures before the wedding with the photographer.  First the pictures with the bridesmaids in matching robes, pictures of the dress hanging there.  Then pictures of her in the dress, then finally "First look" pictures where he got to see her in the dress for the first time.  They never got to the family pictures, the ones we showed up for at 1:00.  Ran out of time before the wedding started (late, at 4:15).  They got a party bus to drink and bar hop for an hour after the wedding.  Then they make a big entrance into the reception.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-06-19 7:53 AM
yeah - no, that's just rude.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-19 5:05 PM
I agree with BT. That's rude. And if one of the couple's parents was paying for the pictures, I think they should have stopped the other photos and gone to family pictures.

And drinking and bar hopping while most of your guests are waiting for you to arrive at your own wedding reception? Self-indulgent and discourteous.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-06-18 11:45 AM
Most weddings I have attended have 4-5 hours between the 3 hour ceremony and the start of cocktail hour - makes the guests frustrated, at least me. And like runnertype, as I do not drink or do small talk, I often want it to be over and go home to get into night clothes
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-06-19 5:56 AM
4-5 hours?!  :cry:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-06-19 12:44 PM
:cry: indeed. And there is another one of these to attend in the next weekend.:meh:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-19 3:16 PM
:cry::cry:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-19 5:03 PM
3 hour ceremony? Wow. I've been to one Greek Orthodox wedding that lasted several hours. Even worse because GO churches don't have seats. Good luck with the one this weekend.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-06-20 9:41 AM
Yes, the ceremony goes on... and on.... and.....
Many parts, many participants, and much 'equipment' for the rites means many moving parts that can go wrong and have to be corrected as they go. At some weddings they allow the guests who are not participating in a particular part to wander in and out during the 'less-critical' bits and get food, mingle with each other, pass comments on the proceedings... Some even encourage playful rowdiness towards the 'other' side of the family, etc.  The downside, of course, is that the actual wedding process often ends up being shouted or confused as they try to keep going despite chaos. At other weddings they keep things more orderly, but then the downside is that guests end up very hungry and fidgety and often bored through the proceedings and then lose interest.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-06-21 12:24 PM
So now it transpires that I will only have to go to the actual wedding, not the reception. Still a 3+ hour ceremony to endure, but at least I can skip the gap time and the reception of everyone getting crazy.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-11 9:54 AM
Friday I spend 8+ hours on a boat observing a swimmer in a 20k swim.  It was such an interesting experience.  The rules of marathon swimming (usually we use "Channel Rules") mean that for a swim to be official, it needs to be verified by a third party observer who makes a set of formal notes every 30 minutes or so.  Those notes include the progress the swimmer has made (GPS if they have that capability, for me it was landmarks) what they eat and drink, and what their physical and mental state are, as well as the swim conditions (wind, temperature, waves, etc).  The conditions were awful for observing, but good for swimming- raining and 60* (no sunscreen needed). And I was in a ski-boat (no bathroom-- so had to dip in the lake every few hours). We finally put up the awning about half way through and that helped with rain protection.  The swimmer was amazing.  She's done the English Channel and scheduled to do Catalina next month. I did stroke counts on her every half hour and she was like a metronome.  Her counts varied less than 4 strokes a min through the ENTIRE swim. 10 other people started the event and 9 others finished. It really was an interesting experience. And so fun to be part of this swim community. (And she's now trying to get me to do a longer swim!! She's from Vancouver and is suggesting the Indian Arm for 5-10k.)
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-06-11 10:59 AM
:cool:
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-06-11 11:59 AM
sounds interesting indeed. Ugh on the bathroom situation though....
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-11 1:05 PM
:shocker!::cool::cool:  That's amazing!
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-11 7:39 PM
Wow! Will you do it?:grin:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-12 12:59 PM
Probably one day.  Not likely this summer (though I did start thinking in the pool this morning.....)
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-06-15 10:37 AM
:cool:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-11 6:49 PM
USC needed to win the 4x400 to win Nationals.  Did they do it?  Gooo!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-15 11:04 AM
My outfit today. Purple pants, black top, purple streaks in my hair. Purple glasses.

I've officially turned into an adult that would humiliate my teenage self.

What do you do now that would embarrass your prior selves?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-15 3:40 PM
Sing out loud.
Flip off motorists who don't look for pedestrians. Also shout imprecations at said motorists.
Pet other people's dogs (with the owner's permission).
Run along the side of the road and stop to pick up change or recyclables.
Talk to strangers.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-06-16 6:40 AM
The talking to strangers is a big one for me.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-16 1:15 PM
Pretty much everything! :laugh: Like saying "My how you've grown!" and "When I was young... bla bla bla".
Parent - - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-17 2:29 PM
I hust had a super nice FE. Donnybrook and her partner Andrew are here and I met them for coffee. Really, really nice people and I hope they have a great stay here. Their plans sound very good at least.
We are over the moon here after our draw with Argentina in the soccer world cup. We never expected to win so this was huge. I'm becoming a soccer enthusiast in my dotage. Who would have thought??
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-06-17 4:41 PM
Oh awesome!  I've never met Donnybrook, but I hear she's good people.  I saw she was in Iceland, so I wondered if you would meet up.

Congrats on your World Cup non-loss!  I don't follow soccer, but apparently we didn't even make it in. :laugh:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-18 4:05 AM
Thanks, yes everybody here is really excited about the soccer, it's our first time. Donnybrook is very nice and so is her partner. :happy:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-17 7:04 PM
Fun! Donnybrook is a great person. :happy:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-18 4:04 AM
She is. :cool:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-18 2:30 PM
Haven't seen DB in ages...glad you had a good FE!
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-19 12:35 PM
For those of you who want to follow a bad ass woman on her adventure--- a swim acquaintance of mine is going to be doing a self supported bike and raft trip through alaska for 1,200 miles.  Her blog is here: https://evergreenendurance.com/river-meets-road/
- - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-06 3:14 AM
Heh. I was doing some math problems with ministicky in the car today.
Me: if cousin A had 5 oranges, and cousin N has 2 oranges, who has the most?
Mini: cousin A!
Me: good! Now if you go and ask cousin A for some oranges and she gives you three, now who has the most?
Mini after some thinking: Me, but it's not OK! We need to plant an orange tree!
:laugh:

Also, reading some classic children's books with the #metoo movement in mind is pretty challenging. We read Pretzel by Margaret Rey, which was written in 1944, and I kept thinking, damn it, Pretzel, she isn't interested! No means No! And sending her gifts doesnt mean she owes you anything, and stalking her from afar so that you can rescue her when she gets into trouble is creepy. I had fond memories of it, but we may have to retire that book...
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-06-06 7:47 AM
Mini is smart!

Funny about the book. :cry: I don't remember that one but I am sure there are many older stories I'd want to retire!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-06-06 8:54 AM
Creative math. :laugh:

I don't think I've read Pretzel, but reading classic children's books as an adult I've found that a lot of them have rather questionable story morals.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-06 3:27 PM
Mini's reaction at first is obviously what the book intended - that's not nice that she doesn't want to play with him! So I tried to explain that you're allowed to say no to people. But on the other hand, she was saying no cause she didn't like the way he looked ( he was a wiener dog who could twist himself into a pretzel shape), so you also shouldn't judge people for their looks, and she also didn't say thank you for the gifts he gave her which isn't polite, but doesn't entitle him to have her play with him.
Meanwhile DH thinks there's all sorts of inuendo since it's a dog who everyone is in awe of cause he's so long and the girl dog doesn't like dogs that are that long until she falls into a hole and he's the only one long enough to reach into the hole and pull her out. :roll:

The whole thing's ruined. : pbbt:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-07 3:35 PM
I think DH's interpretation is even worse than yours. Even Freud said that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-06 10:08 AM
I saw the musical Heathers a few weeks ago, it is based on the movie I LOVED as a young adult.  It has major #metoo and school shooting issues.  :sad:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-06 10:59 AM
:laugh: go Mini!
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-06 1:23 PM
Mini!  :laugh:  Oranges for everyone!

I see some of the old movies and think the same things!  The lady is saying no and the guy pulls her to him and kisses her forcefully and .. she melts.  Ugh!
Parent - - By BoredTemp Date 2018-06-06 2:51 PM
mini sounds like a really awesome kid. :hug:  This and his "toasters are not tasty" crack me up. :laugh::hug:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-11 7:45 PM
We think he's pretty awesome, but we're biased.: pbbt:

I realized that most of my knowledge of random facts and trivia comes from long car rides with my parents when we were growing up - the hop in the car, we're driving to Paris, or the Ardennes kind. Math, world capitals, geography, word games...We so rarely go on long drives here. I suppose that makes up for the 40 hr flights.: pbbt:

We'll have to supplement mini's education some other way.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-06 2:52 PM
Mini is a smart kid. :cool: Yes, a lot of books/films etc. are wierd when you look at them with this in mind.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-07 3:37 PM
I pulled out some kids books for the LFL and decided they should not be put in there. Some authors have not stood up to the test of time and changing social norms.

The only book that can get away with the N word is Huckleberry Finn IMHO.

I believe Nomad has read a lot of the books I used to love and am now somewhat horrified by. Nomad, you want a box of Enid Blytons? I can ship to Sedona!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-07 4:27 PM
I LOVE Enid Blyton!! I was trying to collect all of the St. Claires books for a while, but one that I got had the right cover, but an entirely different book inside. :sad:  I haven't read them recently to see how they hold up, but my dad would bring me back one every time he went to London for work (which was about twice a year).
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-07 9:42 PM
You might want to reread a couple -- they are not at all modern in their outlook.

That said, I have a bunch that whoever asks first may have. If you like St. Clare's, I'm guessing you would also like the Malory Towers series.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-08 3:40 AM
Famous Five all the way.:cool: Followed by Adventurous Four and Secret Seven if the library was out of the Five.

A pity George didn't know how to act like a real girl. Hopefully Anne will show her in time so someone will help her with the cooking.: pbbt:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-07 5:05 PM
I love Enid Blyton too.:cry: Read them all. I think someone was modernizing them possibly.:wtf:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-07 9:43 PM
Sorry, not shipping halfway around the planet. Will you be coming through CA any time soon?
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-08 1:20 PM
Ca is no where near half way. You're what we consider close and a short flight. :laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-10 8:52 PM
Wow. Short flight? I am afraid to ask what constitutes a long flight.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-11 7:35 PM
You're a direct flight! Long would be anything longer than 18-20 flight time, plus connections. My longest so far was one where I got on a plane on a Sunday night, had a series of delays and missed flights, until I finally stepped out of the airport on Friday afternoon.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-11 9:33 PM
:shocker!: Five days of travel? That is Hell.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-19 10:21 AM
:shocker!: how is that even possible
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-19 12:16 PM
Actually, she crossed the international date line, so that was arriving the Friday before she left. :wink:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-20 4:44 AM
flight 1 (approx 5 hr flight) delayed --> missed connecting flight 2. next flight only 24hrs later. Flight two (a 15 hr flight) delayed --> missed connection to flight 3. Placed on a different flight, flight 3 (approx 8hr flight). Connected to flight 4, another 3 hr flight.

And somewhere along that journey, managed to get food poisoning. :grin::cry:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-06-20 5:24 AM
:cry::cry::cry:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-20 7:24 AM
:cry:  that makes more sense. I thought like you never left the initial airport and I was all sorts of confused. I have no idea what kind of job you do but that sounds like miserable travel :cry:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-20 9:03 AM
Ugh. Especially the food poisoning. Hope the delays were the airline's fault so they had to reschedule you, at least.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2018-06-08 7:10 AM
I've certainly read them all :laugh: But don't need any more clutter thanks all the same :wink:

Honestly they hadn't stood the test of time when I read them in the 1970s - they were terribly anachronistic even then. But I'll give her credit for having 2 series exclusively with female protagonists, plus let's face it - we all wanted to be George, not Anne, regardless of where the books seemed to be pushing us!
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-06-11 11:00 AM
Go Mini!  :laugh::laugh:

And yes, many children's books don't hold up now.  :sad:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-13 11:18 AM
Smart kid! :laugh:
- - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-08 5:47 AM
Anthony Bourdain? Aw man...:sad:
Parent - By BoredTemp Date 2018-06-08 7:13 AM
He, like Kate Spade, leaves behind a daughter almost the same age as mine.  So sad. :sad:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-06-08 8:33 AM
I'm heartbroken.  I had the chance to work with him when he first joined CNN.  He was amazing.  Gracious, giving, willing to listen to our ideas and try them out.  Not at all like many of the celebrities I had to deal with.  You never know what demons people are fighting.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-06-10 7:59 PM
No, you don't.

I have a voice in my head that tells me every time I have a setback that I would be better off killing myself, that no one would care, that I am too tired and too damaged to keep fighting. When I get triggered over something and have the PTSD/panic/anxiety attacks, it feels like I literally lose my sanity and get stuck on the tornado of hate and hurt and injury that flares up in response. I can't feel any hope or any happiness or anything good at those points, and it takes tremendous willpower to ride it out and remember it will subside. I worry that someday I will lose to it. I've made it this far, but my defenses are really low these days as I sort out the various traumas. I feel more sensitive than I used to, and a lot weaker. It's scary. Counseling and therapy are helping me feel calmer and some triggers have been extinguished, but I am wondering if I'll ever feel strong and capable again.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-11 9:26 AM
:cry::hug::hug:
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:19 PM

I know it's not much, but I would miss you terribly.  I'd miss your insights, your funny stories, your fabulous feats of endurance, and your updates about your amazing love.  I'd miss you.
Parent - By elmtree Date 2018-06-11 1:25 PM
In spite of everything between us, you can always call or text me if you need help getting through those moments.  You matter, you belong here, and you would be missed.  Remember that those voices lie to you and you would not be better off dying by suicide.

Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-06-11 7:36 PM
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-11 9:34 PM
I would miss you. Many people would care.

And yes you will feel strong and capable again. You are a very strong woman and you deserve happiness.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-06-14 12:12 PM
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-15 4:30 AM
Lots of people would miss you, myself included. :hug: And yes, you will feel strong and capable again. You are working through a lot of difficult things it seems, but when that's done, you will feel better.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-09 6:21 AM
Yes, that was a shocker. :cry: So full of life and passion! Just goes to show what depression can do to people. What a loss!
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-06-11 9:34 AM
:cry::cry:  I wish there was better mental health in our country.  I've lost 2 members of my family to suicide in the last 2 years; it just kills me to see their parents and immediate family trying to cope with the lose and pain of it all; wishing they had done more.  I think it's a misnomer to think that maybe your love could have saved someone; and thus maybe you didn't make your love clear to them...when it is really like thinking you can love someone enough to rid them of cancer.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-06-11 12:03 PM
Your last sentence is SOOO important. Ultimately, none of us has that kind of power.

We've got a lot going on right now in this country. We've got social and political isolation going on, which contributes to a sense of powerlessness that a lot of folks struggle with; we've got epic rates of opiate addiction and an alcohol culture that normalizes heavy drinking (both of which exacerbate existing depressive symptoms and reduce inhibition around self-harm), AND we've got a woefully inadequate system of care for mental health. :cry:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-13 11:07 PM
More kittens! Four this time. D group, not yet named. One gray tabby, one brown tabby, one black and white (he'll be a longhair), one black. As soon as the scones come out of the oven I'll go in and pet them a while.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-14 5:54 AM
Scones and kitties, sounds like a perfect day :hug:
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-06-14 12:13 PM
I love kitties. I don't know how you part with them.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-20 10:00 PM
For the most part we know going in that we are not going to keep them, so we don't get attached to them. We love them dearly but we can kiss them goodbye and wish them well when we drop them off to be fixed and go to the adoption center.

And often we hear that they have been placed in permanent homes so while we will never know specifics, we know we did all we could to give them a good start in life.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-14 12:45 PM
:hug:  Kitties and scones!  What a great day!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-15 9:41 AM
Dixie, Dezekiel (DS named that one), Dwight, and Domino are all doing well so far, though they have no idea how to wash their bottoms and since they have been in the shelter the past 9 days the fur around their buts is caked with poop. I gave them bottom-half baths yesterday. They were not at all happy and Dwight, who is going to be longhaired I think, was mistrustful of me the rest of the evening.

Domino is named because he was listed as a black and white kitten. After close all over examination including taking off his collar I found one little white spot under his chin and another very small white spot on his tummy. All the rest of him is black.  Ergo, Domino.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-18 2:34 PM Edited 2018-06-18 2:37 PM
And Domino has turned out to be syndactl. I noticed he favors his right hind paw when he runs (though it is more like a kitter skitter at this stage, they don't run so much as scamper). Picked him up and examined the paw. He's missing two toes on that foot, and it is twisted, though there is no open wound. I'm guessing a slight issue during fetal development. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all but I will have the vet take a look at it when they go in for shots.

Dwight's bum is still sore. He was all set to be indignant when I applied a dab of Vaseline to it yesterday, then he realized that it was soothing and actually felt good. :laugh:
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-14 6:00 AM
Woke up this morning to Cooper having a seizure. So confused at first because in my sleepy state what was going on. He was quite lethargic after and confused but is better. So scary watching him just collapse afterwards. Talked to the emergency vet but they are across town so advised we just watch since he is better now and take to our vet when they open. Send healthy puppy vibes our way :hug:
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-06-14 7:20 AM
:sad: Poor Cooper! Sending you healthy puppy vibes. :hug:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-14 9:44 AM
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-14 10:12 AM
Back from vet, now we wait on labs and just keep an eye on him. :hug:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2018-06-14 10:18 AM
The dog we had when I was a kid (Timex - she was a "watch"dog lol) had epilepsy.  Scary but manageable!  :hug:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-14 2:40 PM
Love the name!
Parent - By elmtree Date 2018-06-14 3:12 PM
She was the funniest little dog.  Black hair kind of like a poodle - she was a mix of peakinese, poodle, cocker spaniel, and a bunch of other stuff.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-06-14 12:13 PM
I will be thinking of him and sending out positive vibes.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-06-14 12:45 PM
:cry:  That is so hard to watch!  We had a dog that had seizures and we put him on meds.  Then another had seizures when older, but it was a brain tumor.  Poor doggies.  But Cooper is young, so hopefully the meds work well and stop the seizures.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-14 2:42 PM
He's 4, vet wants to wait on meds until we have labs and see if he has any more seizures.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-15 9:41 AM
Poor Cooper! How old is he?

[edit] Never mind, read the thread after I responded.
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-17 8:12 AM
For those not on FB, I had my first DNF yesterday. After 34 marathons it finally happened. We are having such strange weather and it was 40s and windy, then started raining and I started getting painfully cold and shivering. I tried convincing myself one more mile and finally a little before 20 I dropped when I couldn't stop shivering. Tough decision but I knew I would only get colder, my hands were painfully numb (stupid Raynauds) and I couldn't even grab a cup of water. I was on perfect pace to PR and running felt good but I think I made the right decision. It is always tough to quit when it is such a big race and part of me still struggles with the decision. Considering my training was horrible 3 months ago due to anemia and had no idea if I'd even get to the start line I am thrilled with what I was able to do those 20 miles. On to the next! Spend the 2 hour ride home looking for more races. Got home and it was 40 degrees warmer :shocker!:

In other news all of Cooper's labs are good, so no idea on the seizure. We just watch and see if it happens again. And we have accepted an offer on our house! :grin:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-06-17 1:11 PM
Sorry about the DNF. :sad:  It does sound like the right thing to do, but I can't imagine being cold in June!

Congrats on accepting an offer on your house!  Assuming the deal goes through, will you be closing before your new house is ready?

Cooper. :hug:  I hope it was just a fluke and that it doesn't end up happening again.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-17 7:06 PM
We will be living with my parents for about 2 months between :meh: Could be interesting!
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-06-17 2:30 PM
That must have been a hard decision but it sounds like it was the right one. :hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-18 2:38 PM
Part of racing is knowing when it's time to pack it in for the day. Good decision.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-06-19 10:20 AM
So true! After 34 marathons plus countless other races this is my first DNF and first time I actually felt miserable and it wasn't the actual running making it that way!
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-20 7:00 AM
Oh, how horrible.  Sorry about the DNF, but such a good decision. Raynauds is so painful and you just don't expect to have it while running in June!  It's great that your training and health is so much better than 3 months ago!  Crazy that it was 40 degrees warmer at home!!  :shocker!:
Up Topic Communities / Women / New Month, New NRR- June