Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday Is Around Here Somewhere
- - By judyruns Date 2018-06-01 5:07 AM
Post. :grin:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-06-01 5:15 AM
Thursday was an interesting 60 minute run out the trail. There were a few raindrops but it didn’t matter since I was wearing the kerchief with larger ice cubes.  After seeing some old friends I continued on to the more woodsy part of the trail. Just ahead of me was a young deer munching on leaves. She waited until I got there, grabbed a nice mouthful, turned and leisurely walked into the woods. She followed me several yards away in the woods in a parallel line to my path until my turnaround point. There was a bunny and many birds. On the return trip I saw and heard the catbird. Ospreys are attending their nest.

By the river, two sets of Canada goose parents had their goslings with them. One group was quite tall, still fuzzy but with grey fuzz. The other smaller group still had some yellow fuzz. Soon they will start to feather out, tail feathers first. The Golden Rain Trees have produced many very light green seed pods.
The trip helped me to live in the moment. I didn’t take pictures, but mentally wanted to absorb what was happening.

In the afternoon, DC and I did 2 hours of volunteer work.
Today I’ve got to get out there because thundery weather is supposed to arrive around noon. I’ve also got to plant my yellow beans this weekend.

Happy runs, All!  :hug:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-06-01 6:50 AM
I trotted along for 5 miles.  I mostly felt like I was pushing the limits of how slow it was possible to go and still be moving forward. :roll:  Honestly, I was running at a pace that would be slow for a long run.  Thunderstorms + some intestinal discomfort meant I didn't get a great night's sleep and I feel just straight up lousy this morning.  I swear my entire body feels sore and stiff and tender, even though there's no one thing specifically wrong.

I'm just a ball of sunshine this morning. :roll:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-06-01 9:36 AM
Great work for the 5 miler. Humidity is awful and there are definitely times that you feel painful soreness, etc. more than others.
Hope the innards feel better today. I suspect that my own innards have to get used to the hotter weather microbes and the additions to the water by the water dept. to combat them. :meh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-01 9:56 AM
May I make a suggestion that you do some self care? You've been taking care of EVERYONE in your family.  Can you take a book to a coffee shop and be alone for a few hours? That might help with the exhaustion.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-06-02 5:49 PM
Thanks. :hug:  I do need to do something like that soon.  Yesterday I ended up spending all day going to IKEA to get stuff for A and running a couple of other errands, then today I spent all day helping my dad move out of his shop (he is officially retired now!).  I'm supposed to do a (not very) long run tomorrow, but hoping to not do a whole lot else.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-01 9:55 AM
Did a mile in the lake last night. A swim buddy runs a business that basically teaches people to open water swim. She does low-risk events, no timing chip, LOTS of kayak support, and no time cut off. She commits to everyone having fun and being safe. It was one of her events that first got me able to swim in the Sound. I did a mile with her event, and then was confident to swim with my swim group without the kayak support and cheerleaders.  She always asks a more experienced swimmer or two to come and share a bit about swimming and swim at the event. So last night was my turn.  At the first buoy, there was a swimmer holding on to the safety paddle board, so I asked her if she wanted to swim, head up breast stroke, and chat with me a bit until her breathing recovered and she felt safe. She took me up on the offer and we swam together for about 10 min and she said she didn't realize she was allowed to do strokes other than free. I said unless she was wanting to win an event, any stroke was ok, and that I do breast if I"m seasick and breast or side if I just need a rest.  She finished the half mile. There was a guy near us at that point too, who chatted with us also. He was swimming the mile.  He was the only swimmer to finish after me.  When I spoke to him at the end, he said he's got a half ironman in three weeks and he needs to swim 1.2 in under 70 min.  He doesn't care if it is 69 min an 54 seconds, it just needs to be fast enough for him to not get a DNF.  I'll be rooting for him!  Another swimmer only made it to the first bouy and back. She was very upset. I told my friend that I'd swim with her next time if she wants a swim buddy. She said she might take me up on that.

I love my swim community!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-01 10:45 PM
Sounds like a very supportive community! I think swimming is quite possibly scarier than running. Nice that the woman learned she could do any stroke.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-06-02 5:50 PM
That does sound like an awesome community you have! :hug:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-06-02 7:41 PM
The open water swims sound like such a great idea to help swimmers. Really practical support!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday Is Around Here Somewhere