Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thirsty Thursday, 31 May 2018
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-31 8:25 AM
Another month down in the books!

It is hot everywhere, so we all need to hydrate.  What is your favorite drink?

Post, post, post....
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-05-31 8:53 AM
Early morning workout with Sam (at the Gym you pervs). Lifted weights for 45 minutes than ran home from the gym, 3.17 miles.

QOTD-water and coffee. That's about all I ever drink. Unsweetened iced-tea on occasion.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-31 3:14 PM
Planet Fitness opens up next month and I am excited.  I will have a place to workout without having to get up at the crack of dawn this summer.  Plus all my friends will go up north to their summer homes.  So I will need a place to hang out.

I am a water, coffee and tea person also.  And an occasional drink or two on Fridays.

Hope the grandbabies are all doing well!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-31 11:15 AM
Darn hot for sure!  I aim for 100 oz of fluids a day and most of that is water.  There is coffee (of course!) and milk, juice, and lemonade.   Of all those, coffee is my favorite though it is not much good for staying hydrated.

Today might be the last of the hot hot days for awhile.  It has felt more like July than May with 90-100 each day of the last 5.  Next week should return us to our normal 70s.

I see a few runners now and again but I'm not one of them.  There's always next week.....:grin:

Picking out countertop and backsplash this afternoon.  For the 3rd time.  Maybe Matthew the Carpenter will get around to installation before these choices too are discontinued.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-31 3:15 PM
I wish I could say that today would be the lost of the hot days for a while.   But no such thing.

New countertops and backsplash -- what colors?  Materials?  It's always exciting to upgrade a room.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-31 1:17 PM
Ran 2 this morning.

Then a meeting with our accountant to get some ideas. If our daughter in Florida moves we'd like to finance their house. We'd take some out of our 401k to do it but there is no way around the huge tax bill we'd have. He did have a couple ideas for us to ponder.

Then Cindy had lunch with a friend while I walked around Midland. I ran into the one guy who I would really like to spend some time with. He was sitting by the river with someone else. So I barged into their little meeting and had a good 45 minute chat.

Now we're at our "rustic" motel in Farewell Michigan where we'll be the next 3 nights. Costs the same as 1 night in a real hotel..... It's going to be interesting.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-31 2:16 PM
Welcome back.  Pure Michigan has missed you.

ps: don't touch that 401k.:shocker!:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-31 6:01 PM
The money we withdraw would be in a safe, if not liquid, asset. So it would actually be a good thing to move some to a house. And we have to pay taxes when we start drawing on it so that isn't a big deal. But we will be in the top bracket on this withdrawal if we take out enough to finance a mortgage. The tax cuts that went in place this year save us a lot.

Cindy's parents financed our second home and it was a big help. Costs are lower, we would keep the interest rate lower than a bank. It would give the kids a good boost.

That's what saving all your life is for, right? Do some good?
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-01 5:12 AM
Absolutely!  Money only does good things when you spread it around.  I just meant you have to analyze those tax consequences from A LOT of different angles.   For me, the attractive part of 401k was based on that whole "lower tax bracket when you retire".  And that part has not been true.

I think the biggest shock has been my finance guy telling me I turn 59 1/2 this year.:shocker!: That magic number always seemed decades away:laugh:
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-01 7:15 AM
We're looking at making them wait and withdrawing over a couple years and some other options.

Looked into a self directed IRA that can own real estate, but it's tricky and you can't buy a house and have family live in it. It has to be a strict investment.

First they have to actually find jobs where they want to live so it's all up in the air right now.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-31 3:16 PM
Enjoy your time in Pure Michigan!

Are you having nice weather?
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-31 6:02 PM
Just as hot these first 2 days as WV, but looking great for the next 3.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-31 3:19 PM
Early this morning, my friend and I did our PW and then I went to see my hairdresser.  Yea!

Just finished handing over the treasurer's responsibilities to the new treasurer.  Double yea!

I am in the mood for a nice, slushy drink -- does not need to include alcohol.  I saw a recipe for an icy lemonade last year and made it, but I was disappointed.  However, now that I have a Vitamix, perhaps I should give it another try. 

My crazy husband and his friend are playing golf this afternoon. 

Stay cool.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thirsty Thursday, 31 May 2018