Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Stamina Saturday 26-May-2018
- - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-26 6:59 AM
A lot of us seem to be "slogging" through "stuff" in our lives right now.

Thought https://zenpencils.com/comic/160-edgar-albert-guest-it-couldnt-be-done/
this comic did a pretty good job at illustrating the mental aspect of running and what it can bring to life.

post what you got.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-26 7:16 AM
It would have been sooo easy to just lie in the hospital bed after the surgery rather than get up and do the rehab.

I liked what one of the commenters said :

The best and worst part about being a distance runner is that the one saying “It cannot be done” is often yourself.

3+ miles planned for this early afternoon.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-26 9:52 AM
have a good run Mark.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-26 12:29 PM
The riding lesson was cancelled so, I came home and ran the Lenape Trail instead.

Wow. I had forgotten how tough a run that was. Add the humidity and double wow.

4.08 miles covered. Maybe I ran 2.5 miles of that? Doesn't really matter. Next time will be better.

A squirrel and I startled each other. He went nuts dashing back and forth trying to decide which way to escape. I just stood there trying to figure out what was about to kill me :laugh:

Mark.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-26 7:22 AM
Thank you neighbor for the start.  Oh my i needed that. 

I slogged for over an hour through downtown Newark this morning.  I even got up close and personal with the pavement this morning running through town.  I didn't quite lift my foot high enough to clear the curb.   No serious damage done, just a layer of skin missing on knee and leg.  Humidity is up there today. 

Graduation Day at UD today.  One of the latest college graduations in America.   Interesting crowd in town and makes for entertaining run.

I was looking forward to coming home to a cup of coffee and sitting outside.  A jackhammer next door on the neighbors pool.   Some serious work going on.  I thought they just did it last summer.  Remind to never buy a house with an in ground pool.

Tom in DE
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-26 7:49 AM
You were just doing an engineering check on the pavement to see if it needed replacing. I hope you email your findings to the City. All citizens need to be that diligent.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-26 8:49 AM
I could file the first law suit in front of the new hotel.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-26 9:47 AM
This morning was the book study and coffee with the guys.

Next, I was determined to remove the insulation improperly installed in the rafters of space above our garage. A roofer told me that having insulation where ours was could trap moisture and cause mold or damage.  So up I went in jeans, long sleeve shirt, hat, glasses, and dust mask.  I got it all down, but I was really hot and sweating.  I came inside, stripped down to my shorts, and started drinking water. I was feeling pretty sick for about 20-30 minutes.

I am fine now, but my plans to go to the gym for a few miles on the treadmill has been canceled. No sense attempting to kill myself twice in one day.

It seems like I am affected by heat more than normal. When I run in warm weather I really take a huge hit. I just slow way down to get it done (or skip it altogether.)  Other people I talk to don't seem to have as hard a time with heat.  Oh well, a man just has to know his limitations.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-26 9:52 AM
I'm assuming it wasn't fiberglass insulation or you would be itchy on top of hot and sweaty.   Good to get a start on a nasty project early in the day; now you have the rest of the day to do as you please.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-26 9:50 AM
Thanks Mark, love it!

I had a terrible run yesterday.  Glad that it is out of the way, only good ones to follow.  I started with sciatic nerve pain from the very first step.  Somewhere in mile 2 I had to walk - I couldn't take the pain and thought why in the world am I trying to outrun it.  I was able to run some more in the latter half of mile 2 and for most of mile 3.  Very discouraging but I'll just let it go as there's not a whole lot I can do about it. 

I'm just back from the store and saw a runner out on one of my old "out of city limits" routes.  I wished I were him.  On the other hand, I got to laze on the patio this morning with a couple mugs of coffee and the scent of lilacs while he was out pounding the pavement in the heat.   Trade offs.

Our Michiganders are in Iowa for a wedding today.  They will circle through Wisconsin a bit tomorrow visiting friends and if it all works out will drop south and pay us a visit before they head back.
I stocked up at the grocery store just in case. :grin:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-26 11:17 AM
I may be in Wisconsin late July.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-26 12:05 PM
what part?
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-26 7:41 PM
Lauderdale Lakes area. We are driving to visit our friends that have a lake home. They go up every summer.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Stamina Saturday 26-May-2018