Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Memorial Weekend RR/NRR
- - By swandive Date 2018-05-25 7:28 PM
The May NRR thread is getting long and I don't think we've had a daily thread all week!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-25 7:32 PM
Sorry for my lack of contribution to a daily thread.  Things have been crazy here.  I ran Tuesday then had an USDO Thursday but ran this morning instead.  Planning to do a "long" run tomorrow, though the nasty weather is supposed to continue for ever and ever so I expect it to be miserable.

On the NRR front, BIL was released from the hospital today.  He seems to be doing much better and, as my sister said, the "it looks like there was a horse head in our bed" has been cleaned up.  The children have been exceptionally loud.  I'm really not certain how people deal with this much screaming and constant noise.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-26 11:56 AM
You'd hate my house with the noise:cry:.  Glad your BIL is doing better.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-05-26 2:17 PM
I cannot abide constant screaming.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-26 3:15 PM
Ironically, I like some music with screaming/growling vocals. :laugh:  I'm definitely not a fan of the non-melodic variety of screaming, though.
Parent - - By Gunna [dk] Date 2018-05-27 3:50 AM
Glad that BIL is doing better! Yes, those of us who don't have kids are not used to the noise. I feel the same way when I visit my nephew who has 3 young children.
Parent - By Gunna [dk] Date 2018-05-27 3:53 AM
And yes, I'm in Denmakr. It's H's niece's confirmation day and we are here to celebrate with the family who live here in Jutland. And the weather is beautiful, so great to get some sunshine. We could even sit outside last night, yay!!!!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-26 7:10 AM
I started a daily on Monday but have been so busy since then that I haven't had time.

This morning: 20 minutes, we tried a shakeout run and I had to cut it short and head back to the bathroom. Traveling = issues. We all made it to Maine safely, looking forward to the race tomorrow!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-26 10:36 AM
I'm out of the loop on what race you're doing, but good luck tomorrow!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-26 4:34 PM
Pineland Farms 50K. Runnertype is here too. :grin:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-26 6:15 PM
Fun!
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-26 11:56 AM
Hope you enjoy Maine.  One of my favorite spots.  Where at in Maine?  Good luck tomorrow!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-26 4:34 PM
New Gloucester.
Parent - - By Gunna [dk] Date 2018-05-27 3:54 AM
So is it a full marathon?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-27 4:17 AM
50K, so full plus some.
Parent - By Gunna [dk] Date 2018-05-28 10:55 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-26 10:35 AM
14 more miles done.  It was every but as nasty out as I expected -- low 70s and dew point at 69°.  Ugh.  It was a slow, sweaty slog, but that's every run in the summertime.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-26 11:55 AM
Yes, much muggier than I expected.  Great job on getting in such a long run.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-26 11:58 AM
Finally got a short run in today.  Scheduling issues and I was sick with a cold as well.  I only ran 25 minutes and towards end started coughing more so just walked rest of way homt.  It wasn't as warm as usual but disgustingly muggy out.  Super light sprinkle but not enough to help.  Pouring out now though.  Hope to run again on Monday.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-26 12:12 PM
I hope you get feeling better soon!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-05-26 2:07 PM
Sun was out, air is 65. Water around 50. Beautiful swim. I felt like I could have stayed in forever.

I've been working with my therapist on some deep family of origin issues, and on the way to the beach today I had a moment where things really opened up in me and i cried the whole drive, it was tears of relief and letting go. Therapy is an amazing thing, and the emotion came out when my mind was calm enough to let it.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-26 3:16 PM
Hooray for a good swim!

Also glad to hear about the progress with therapy. :hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-05-26 2:19 PM
No running for me this weekend, but my tibia and heel are back in alignment and everything is moving properly...but OMG, the plantar fascia tendons and the tendons controlling my big toe are super sore now that the stress is off them. They are getting babied with heat and ice and gentle movement.

T-bone and I are having a nice weekend. Some parties. Some smiting. Some time at the gun range. He is doing some armoring and I am finishing up painting the porch. The weather is really pleasant.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-26 3:17 PM
I hope you can get your body back into proper working order.  I'm jealous of your pleasant weather!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-05-26 6:31 PM
You must have some special mojo, because my foot has actually been feeling markedly better as I have moved around a bit today. :hug:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-27 4:30 PM
Maybe it was the "wands" (a.k.a. sticks) my nieces were playing with earlier. :laugh:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-05-26 3:49 PM
Half marathon as part of my last big training run. 74 degrees at start and quickly to mid 80s :meh: felt great first 7 in the shade running 7:20s then we turned on road and no shade :cry: 1:40 finish with some extra easy miles before and after. Now 95 degrees, ugh! We went straight from winter to summer, I miss spring
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-27 4:31 PM
That is nasty weather, especially when you don't even have time to acclimatize. :cry:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-28 3:58 AM
Ugh on the mid 80s with no shade -- and on the 95 degrees.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-05-28 5:03 AM
That sounds miserable. Great job!
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-05-27 3:29 PM
I have been pretty absent here. Sorry. I have been running and working out a lot. G and I even did a final 5K in May although he isn't all that thrilled to run anymore. The good news is he seems to like lifting so we agreed to go to they gym 3 days a week and lift. I know enough to be able to design a program for him that is simple but effective. I figure he has no where to go but up and we write down his progress each time so he is already seeing some small results. I am also hoping puberty may kick in and give him an boost. Poor kid he just has a belly hoping adding muscle and him growing will help. He also likes the elliptical and I seem to have found a good use for Fortnight - he will play it for much longer than he needs to be on the elliptical!

My job ended in May so I am now looking again. But it's ok - I had not been all that happy there for a while.

G graduated from elementary school this past Friday. It is the end of an era. I no longer have a small child.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-27 4:32 PM
I'm glad to hear you've been working out with G and have been able to find workouts he enjoys!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-28 3:58 AM
Figured you were busy, glad you have been running and working out. Lifting might help G, also do the Scouts hike?

Fortnight? Computer program? Whatever gets him working his body!
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-05-28 6:36 AM
You clearly do not have 11 year old boys in your house.

Fortnight is a new multi player game they are all obsessed with. Its actually kind of fun. Adults do play too. It made the NYT kids section this Sunday!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-28 9:47 AM
I ran a very slow 5.7 this morning.  It is still very warm and humid. :roll: The last day of school was Friday and today is a holiday, so at least there wasn't much traffic.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-28 4:04 AM
Finished the 50K in 9:46 and have an official time, so Maine is on the books! Runnertype did the half.

And I was not DFL for the 50K. There was one person behind me -- another of the Axe Murderers, Kat from Texas. We also had two women from Michigan and one from California who are either on the runningahead board or in a FB group but used to be on either RA or RWOL.

Full race report later. Feeling OK, left ankle hurts as usual. And my left knee where I fell on it. (Sigh.) Driving back to Detroit today.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-05-28 6:13 AM
Nice job!
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-05-28 6:37 AM
Great Job! I think I saw an FB post about the axe murderers were they part of the AMR (another mother runner) group?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-29 2:35 PM
Nope, we are not part of the another mother runner group. There is an FB group for former RWOL, I think.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-05-28 1:54 PM
Excellent work on the 50K! Sorry about the fall. :cry: Where does the ankle hurt? :sad:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-05-28 7:18 PM
Congrats on another state! :cool:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-05-29 6:31 AM
:cool::cool:
- - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-05-28 8:11 PM
The scoutlettes made poppies to hand out at the memorial day parade again this year...except the one troop that gave out freeze-pops : pbbt: and the one that still throws candy :roll:

The public feedback from the poppies is amazing, though - we spent some time this year talking about the meaning of the remembrance poppies & reading In Flanders Fields poem. The girls were explaining to some people why they were giving out poppies instead of candy :hug: The VFW even called them out at the cemetery & thanked them for the poppies.

Now, I just need to figure out how to make it through the memorial day ceremony without tears, because the girls want to know who I'm crying for :sad:. Sweet of them to be concerned for me & to remember my shipmates.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-28 8:25 PM
I didn't realize that Memorial Day parades were a thing. :wtf:  Anyway, it's very nice of your scoutlettes to give out poppies, and certainly more appropriate than candy.

I think tears on Memorial Day are ok. :hug:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-05-29 5:53 AM
It's not a parade in the traditional sense... it's VFW, American legion, Scouts, Fire & Police departments in dress uniform, high school marching band playing patriotic songs.  We form up at the VFW post, march along the main drag, stop at the war memorial to post the colors, and then continue to the cemetery for military honors & taps.

Not a popular parade for many families (they prefer Christmas parade with floats, etc), but I think it's more of a citizenship exercise for the Scoutlettes.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-29 2:36 PM
Thank you to the scoutlettes from the families. My grandfather served in WWI.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Memorial Weekend RR/NRR