Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Feeling Friday
- - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-25 6:24 AM
Happy Memorial Weekend start.   Put up your doings.

QOTD>  How you feeling about this weekend?  Your memories about great or bad feelings after a big race?
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-25 6:46 AM
Good Morning Tom and others to follow.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the weekend weather - the forecast calls for 100+ degrees.  It seems I was just getting back at old man winter for keeping in the house for so long and now his counterpart is after me.   I'm dressed and ready for a run; just waiting for my sunblock to kick in.  I haven't run this early in forever; well probably just since last summer.:roll:  Gotta beat the heat.

My worst post race feeling was a 1/2 marathon PW.  I complained to you all and the overwhelming response was to consider it a training run and just find another the next weekend.  Sorry guys but that made me feel worse.  I wasn't in any shape to have run the first one let alone find another a week later.:cry:   But you all redeemed yourself a couple years later when you encouraged me thru my first marathon.  That one was the biggest feeling of accomplishment and/or relief ever.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-25 6:58 AM
I am enjoying your used weather.  But I think I will pass on the next batch.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-25 9:06 AM
I am with you Dawn. From 40° to 80° :mutmad::cry::shocker!:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-25 6:55 AM
I decided my body needed rest after yesterday and the rest of the week.   I got up, built a fire in the potbelly out back and sipped coffee and listened to birds.  Ahhhhhhh.  The rest of today promises to be too full. 

Yesterday. 
    Clothing bank....way too many huge trash bags of clothing to pick up and deliver.   We could use a few dozen volunteers to sort clothing.
    Then to Aunt Shirley having a bad day.  Visiting nurse is there, alarm guy doing annual inspection, Empowerment Center calls me on cell, physical therapist on the house phone.   Too much all at once
     At the Empowerment Center...Bank of America drops off food for Memorial weekend picnic.  It could feed 300.  Close to a hundred pounds of pulled pork and chicken, shrimp fried rice and over 300 hot dogs and buns.  Problem is it came near closing, where to store it and we typically only see about 30 clients a day.   I am tempted to load up my Flex and drive to Bowie, MD and hand it to Rob. 

QOTD.  I like to do something on Memorial Day to remember those who died in battle. 
           Races....Best feeling was finish line at JFK 50 and the HUGE support from my forum friends.  It says a lot about life and how encouragement will get us to do things we never thought possible.   Worst feeling...about a week after Steamtown Marathon.  A certain piece of male anatomy (those little round things) started to swell and turn blue and hurt like hell. (please don't fall off like a toe nail.:laugh:)  Doc said it was insufficient support during marathon. Extremely uncomfortable for about 2 weeks.   I had lots of support during JFK. :grin:

Happy last day of school Moose.:cool::cool:    My old school has teacher professional day today.   Diversity training.  There are 13 teachers retiring. They told them that they don't have to come in. 

Tom in DE
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-05-25 11:24 AM
That JFK 50 is my favorite race.  It was so much fun meeting up with you and the others.  I see why Steamtown is your worst feeling.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-25 7:03 AM
Got in my hoped for 8 miles this morning before work. 62°, which was 4° cooler than last Friday, and it was less humid. I ran over 14 minutes faster than last week.

In 2004 I set a goal to break 2 hours in a half, followed the Higdon Intermediate Half Marathon plan to a T, and blew it away with a 1:55. I remember feeling strong over the final 5k, passing people left and right, and zipping into the finish. That felt great.  Even when I ran a faster half 7 years later I did not feel as great as I did that day.

My last couple half marathons have been real duds and I felt terrible at the end. I am hoping to at least get down to a 10:00 pace in a fall half and get that good feeling back.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-25 10:26 AM
That is a great memory!! I’d be happy to run a half again. I’m cheering for ya Dave!!
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-25 9:29 AM
Hi Tom and all!

I decided to run this shortish trail nearby. The town says it's 1.9 mi I ran/walked the entire trail and my watch never started. So I ran by feel and walked the rock and root covered parts because I'm a klutz and I have a race tomorrow.  I got back in my car and my watch says "LETS GO". So I'm thinking that felt like a short 2 miles so decided to go using my watch--since now it is ready to go. :roll: When I finished my watch said 1.45. I'm not sure how they get 1.9 mi because it says yellow trail = 1.9. so what ever... the last set was half way through a run interval so I ran down a blue trail until it I was in a walk interval. I ended up with 1.8 + my whatever I ran before.

QOTD> I am excited to be running a trail run with my boy. First trail run in 20 years I think. First run post BC. First run with just Jesse.

Funny story about how I found this ^ trail race. My PW (like Dawn) was a half in 90° weather. I walked the last 7 miles I think. After the race so many people were dropping that they had a hose your could run through to cool down and they gave you a shirt from a trail race but the same director to change into. Which ended up being one of my favorite shirts -- wicking light weight tech shirt. I was changing out my winter to summer clothes a few weeks ago and came across the shirt. So I googled it and asked my son if we could do this instead of the mothers day race. He is more of a hiking person so he was all in. It gets even more ironic. I was washing it Wednesday and looked at the date May 26, 2013. So tomorrows race will be 5 years to the date that shirt was made for. Coolness?!?

So do I wear the shirt? I didn't really earn it, and I usually just train in it for that reason. It is amazingly comfortable.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-25 9:58 AM
Wear the shirt.  Good history, great karma.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-25 12:30 PM
Sure! Wear it. I never really understood "don't wear it if you didn't run it". How many people own a Football (or Hockey) jersey but never played a day in the NFL?
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-25 1:09 PM
Didn't really earn it:wtf::wtf::wtf:  You sure did earn it.  Anybody who does a half in 90 deg and is handed a shirt EARNS IT...a bonus earning!

Looking forward to a good race report.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-25 1:24 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: that was definitely the toughest half I ever did. and 90° in Maine :shocker!: something you never really think about.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-05-25 11:21 AM
It's the last day of school!  Also, Makayla graduates high school tonight.  I thought she was just in kindergarten last year.  The high school hosts a "Project Graduation" for graduates who want to stay all night at the school with a trip to the cinemas and other activities.  She's allowed to invite one guest so her boyfriend, Isaac, will be there.

Tomorrow we are having a graduation celebration for Makayla.  My parents and sister, Melissa's family will be there as well as some friends.  Makayla wanted a taco bar so that's what we are preparing.

6 miles this morning.  Longish run tomorrow morning.

Great race feeling are many.  My PR at the Columbus Marathon in 1995 was a special great feeling.  Worst was my 1999 Flying Pig Marathon.  I crashed and burned so bad.  That was my 5th marathon and I vowed to never run another marathon again.  2.5 years later I broke that vow.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-25 11:35 AM
special day at your house.  Congratulations mom and dad, you got them both thru high school. Will Ryan be home to see his sister graduate?    I hope Makayla and Isaac have a fun evening.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-05-25 11:46 AM
Thanks.  Ryan wants to come in, but that's if he can get away from his job.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-25 12:22 PM
Congratulations to Makayla.  Tacos sound good right now.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-25 1:12 PM
Way to go Dad.   Have a great weekend.  Enjoy the family time and tacos.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-25 12:27 PM
Howdy Masters.

No running the last few days because of scheduling issues. But hope to be able to get out there tomorrow while Katy is taking her riding lesson.

Worse memory would be the Columbus Marathon. Trained and felt good about my chances for actually break the 4 hr barrier. But alas, I got violently ill the night before, stayed up most of the night puking, so had to register a DNS.

Best memory is finishing my first 5K. Nothing special really about the race, but my first thought when I passed the finished line was "Holy COW! I finished, I ran all the way - and I didn't die!" :roll:

Mark.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-25 1:14 PM
These last few weeks and next few weeks are just amazingly busy for you.  But enjoy them.
Parent - - By Ron274 [us] Date 2018-05-25 4:22 PM
Memorial Day, I like to give thanks for those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our country.
Biggest let down after a race was missing the cutoff by 6 minutes on my 50 mile attemp. I rolled that one around in my brain for a while.
What I might have done better Etc.
I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.
Run safe!
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-25 6:59 PM
Come back soon Ron.  Fill us in on more of your life.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Feeling Friday