Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Seeing Tuesday - 5/22/18
- - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-05-22 8:05 AM
See anything good (or bad) on your runs lately?
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-05-22 8:19 AM
I see lots of good things when running, mainly my reflection in windows :laugh:: pbbt:

Running 4 or so at lunch time. Recovery continues. Legs doing pretty good so far.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-22 8:49 AM
Do you poop when you see your reflection?  (a nod to my weekend post about the neighborhood robin)
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-05-22 8:23 AM
Watched a pretty good "running" movie last night on netflix. I Mile to You based on the novel Life at These Speeds
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-22 11:17 AM
I just finished reading Eat and Run. He has recipes at the end of every chapter which I found very awesome!!! Then I read North. Wow!! I just can't imagine. But I bet you could. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'll have to check that movie out. Is running in quotation marks for a reason? It's raining so a perfect movie day.

Good to see you!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-22 8:46 AM
Easy day today. Went to the gym. 1 mile warm-up on the treadmill and then some weights (but nothing too strenuous.)

Saw lots of things at the gym today. In particular, I was noticing how people walk today. Some walk like their on a mission and some meander. 

Work is the same as always. For everything I do, 2 or more new things come in. My list gets to the point of being ridiculous. I have been doing a better job of identifying the important items and focusing on them, but some days (like today) it is overwhelming and crushing to see how much stuff is supposed to get done.  I need to get focused or this day will be spent accomplishing nothing but worrying about everything.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-22 8:52 AM
:cry:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-22 8:59 AM
I've been gawking at the spring flowers and manicured yards.  And swatting gnats - they love me.

Tonight I'm pretty sure we are dissolving our running club.  We have the final 4 mile time trial followed by a pizza party.  After pizza we are discussing if we have enough interest to continue the club.  We have split off into several smaller groups; those who want to run fast, those who prefer to tri, and our ultra runners.  I've been a member for 17 years and it's been a good run. Pun intended.  We just don't have anyone with the desire and/or time to run the thing.  Still, looking forward to tonight's fun run and gnoshing on whatever folks bring to go with the pizza.:happy:

cold, damp, drizzly here this morning.  But look out in a couple hours - predictions of wild sunshine driving the heat index into the 90's.   Poor Misha in her winter coat.

I understand a certain Moose is having a birthday today - Happy Birthday Mike:grin:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-22 11:12 AM
You sound like me. I tried doing some yard work earlier but ended up being a meal! :mutmad: I was amazed at the iris in the yard though they were just buds yesterday and today they are open and beautiful.

That's sad about your club. I have never found a running club I fit in. They are either fast runners who have no time for the likes of moi, or slow runners who don't want to slow me down, very cliquish, or run long distances. So I feel no one wants me in their club. :sad::sad:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-05-22 11:34 AM
That's too bad about the running club.  I have never belonged to a running club.  Living in a rural area I would have to drive at least 30 minutes to meet up with a group to run.  I've always thought it would be fun to belong to a club.  Thanks for the birthday greeting. :happy:
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-05-22 12:40 PM
50,000 plus people in my town. No running club that i know of.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-22 5:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your running club:sad: I've never been able to find a running group that worked for me.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-22 11:31 AM
Today is an easy day for me too. Tried to do some yard work, but was being feasted on so... Did a 30 minute walk, then did some light stuff at the gym. My plastic surgeon left some fatty areas after my surgery. Supposedly he's a perfectionist. I say : pbbt: He said the only way to fix it is of course more surgery, and that working out will only make it worse. So I have decided to try getting back into lifting (which they all say not to do) light weights/high reps just to see if I can tone it up. I don't believe surgery is the only way. Yes I have a huge middle finger to the medical community at the moment. : pbbt:: pbbt:: pbbt::roll:

Two days back in the gym and I feel so much better! When I went back to the gym the staff were so nice and welcoming me back. I was surprised so many people remembered me. So yay!

A high school friend (who I haven't seen since high school, but we connect through social media) just had his grown daughter get in touch with me. So we are planning a hike on Friday. Should be fun.

Good-- birds and flowers and the smell of summer. The calm, quiet, of early morning running before the world has stirred the pot. Nothing like it.
Bad -- squished critters in the road and people in a hurry.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-22 5:47 PM
Glad to hear the gym is helping! I'm starting to lift some light weights myself. This lymphedema is bothering me a lot and I'm hoping light weights along with the stretching will help. I haven't been able to go to my PT in a few weeks and I can definitely tell that I haven't been doing enough on my own. I don't blame you for not wanting to have to undergo surgery again.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-23 6:41 AM
How many nodes were removed? Everyday I do the self massage to help move the lymph move. Every time I start to get that "oh S***" feeling I do the lymphatic massage. I roll my lat a lot too. Yoga has helped me a lot. And really watching my diet. When ever I eat processed food I have a flare up. Surprisingly, (ok, knock on wood) I haven't had an episode in a while. But I have been so vigilant about my diet and stretching and not overdoing activities that stress my shoulder. And meditation. and drink lots of water!!

Yeah for what he wants to do, basically just lipo near my armpit. I have to wear a band for 3 weeks, not use my arms, etc. And the drugs they use to put me under make me sick even with the little patch-- for days. I hate it!!

Have you seen this blog? http://workoutnirvana.com/how-to-strength-train-after-a-mastectomy/

I apologize for those reading this asking WTH for going off topic.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-23 8:24 AM
I had 11 nodes removed. I'm working on getting rid of all processed food, and sugar. Also cutting way back on salt, dairy, and some other things that seem to affect me in some way or another. I'm also giving yoga a shot again. A yoga instructor has been offering free outdoor (under a pavilion) yoga classes at a park that is less than a mile from my house. The classes are every Tuesday and EVERY Tuesday since I heard about them, we have had severe storms, or something major was going on to prevent me from going:sad: Good for you for taking control of your health! You are an inspiration! Thanks for the link also....checking it out now!

And I apologize for going off topic as well!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-23 8:46 AM
Hey Pam, I'm dealing with kidney disease which is a breeze compared to what you've been through.  I too have to cut back the salt and the sugar.  Curiously dairy is my friend and never has been.  It is a whole new way of eating for me too.  My body is continually complaining about the change but I just have to ride it out.

please give yoga another shot; if the meditative parts don't click for you at least you are getting a good stretch and darn good balance workout.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-23 8:54 AM
I knew you had changed some things with your diet, but somehow I missed the kidney disease part. I am so sorry you are dealing with that, but glad you are also taking control and making changes that will help. So far, I'm not sure which is the hardest change for me....the sugar, or the salt! I do love them both:cry:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-23 9:01 AM
I'm having a heck of a time finding foods that are low salt but high calories.  I know that so many would like to have my problem, but I'm losing too many pounds.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-23 8:58 AM
I didn't know you had kidney disease. :sad: what changes did you have to make? Hope things are going better.

Yes yoga is wonderful. Last night I did Yin yoga it is a lot of meditative yoga but amazing.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-23 9:05 AM
most plant based foods are on the watch list.  So say goodbye to leafy greens and wheat.  No bran or whole grains. Broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are good.  No nuts.  No beans. No potatoes.  No tomato sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce, but raw tomatoes are ok.  No citrus fruits, but orange juice and lemonade get 2 thumbs up.   It is just weird.  I have to look up everything I eat.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-23 9:10 AM
That is odd. Sounds like I'd starve. I eat nothing but grain, beans, potatoes and leafy greens. And nuts are my snacks. I don't know that sounds pretty tough Dawn! That would make me crazy. :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-23 8:55 AM
Processed foods and sugar cause inflammation so get rid of those. I know it's hard. I had been a vegetarian/vegan for years then stopped. When I got breast cancer I decided to go back to mindful healthy eating. I was never able to handle dairy. My son was born with a dairy allergy so raising him I didn't eat a lot of dairy. But when the kids left I quit eating healthy. Eating out, package foods and yogurt.

Downward dog is supposedly bad for lymphedema, so I am careful when I practice that pose. I alternate with child pose and have never had an issue. Last week I did DD when the class did and no issue. Keep at it!! You are doing awesome!!!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-23 8:43 AM
Please don't apologize for going off topic.  There is not one of us in the world that doesn't have a loved one with a cancer diagnosis.  I am inspired to read how you are taking charge of your health.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-05-22 11:32 AM
It's usually dark when I run on most days, so I don't see much.  This morning I got out for my usual 8 miles. 

Today is the local primary election in Kentucky.  My school district is shut down for kids since some school buildings, including mine, are used for a polling place.  It's still a work day for me.  Teacher professional development.  We are in team groups working on various projects.  My group is finished, but I can't leave until 3.

Makayla is not scheduled to work tonight, so I can spend my evening with her and Melissa.  There are a lot of days I don't even see Makayla with school and her evening work schedule.  I'm always asleep when she gets home from work.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-05-22 12:40 PM
Happy Birthday Mike.
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2018-05-22 3:02 PM
Happy Birthday Mike!!
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-22 12:50 PM
Happy Birthday Mike.   Enjoy a good evening of celebration with your family.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-22 2:09 PM
Happy Birthday!!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-23 6:24 AM
Happy Birthday!!!
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-22 2:09 PM
Good afternoon! I sometimes see a donkey that lives about a mile from our house. He's kinda cute!

I survived last nights lacrosse banquet! It wasn't fun watching everyone eat food from my favorite Mexican restaurant, and the cake looked pretty good, but I kept telling myself that it will be worth it when the weight starts coming off a bit faster! Yeah, that's what I kept repeating to myself as I was drooling over the queso dip.:roll: Conor received a scholar-athlete award. Head coach announced he and one of his assistants are leaving. That along with the 15 seniors graduating tells me it's going to be an interesting senior year for Conor.

I had a meeting at the school today with Conor's counselor to sign some papers for his dual enrollment next year at the local college. All of this end of the year stuff is wearing me out!!

I'm waiting for Alex to get home so that we can get out for a walk together this evening. I started to go out after my meeting at Conor's school, but it was SOOOO hot and humid then. I would rather be able to chat with my girl anyway!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-22 3:02 PM
Congrats to Connor.  And also good news that he will do dual enrollment.  That saved us lots and lots of $$$$$
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-22 5:41 PM
Thanks! Saving $$$$$ is always a good thing!
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2018-05-22 3:07 PM
The Tuesday club ride for me. I do the announcements, try to heard the riders into groups ( speed ) levels and find out their destinations.
Sometimes like heading cats. I led two groups of 8 riders each on a 45 mile ride through horse and cattle country.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-22 5:27 PM
Geese. I'll leave it to you decide if that is good or bad.

3.04 nice miles this evening in the cool.

Mark.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-23 6:25 AM
When I lived in the next town over geese would chase me all the time. And if there were babies :shocker!::shocker!::shocker!: they are vicious. Hissing and spitting. And turkeys. Turkeys would chase me too.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Seeing Tuesday - 5/22/18