Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Mundane Monday Dailies
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-21 9:10 AM
Because I couldn't post yesterday...
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-21 9:11 AM
Wanted to put this up yesterday but couldn't copy and paste. I need a mouse at home. (Not likely to happen with 7 cats...)

Exhausted. I spent yesterday at Born to Run with RN and the rest of her crew. She has been training hard and smart for the 100 miler.

Born to Run is in rural Santa Barbara County, it's held on a cattle ranch that's mostly oak savanna and chaparral, rolling hills. The course is basically a figure 8, the Pink Loop and the Yellow Loop. Yellow is a bit longer and a bit harder than Pink, though the race says the loops are both 10 miles we're of the opinion that it's more like 9 for Pink and 11 for Yellow. You can figure out the ribbon colours.

So the 4 day event starts on Wednesday, 200 mile starts on Thursday, the 100 mile starts Friday at 6 PM, and the shorter races (60, 30,10) all start at 6 AM on Saturday. End time for all events is noon on Sunday. 4 day and 200 entrants are allowed pacers at any time, 100 mile entrants can have pacers after 60 miles or when it gets dark, shorter races don't get pacers. RN and her DH went up there Friday morning and set up camp. She started running. She was allowed pacers almost immediately because 6 PM start means the first loop may be in daylight but the second 10 mile loop will not be. Starts with pink so finishes with yellow. Two other friends, M and A, came up Friday night to run with her. A took two yellow loops, M took the pink in between.

I arrived Saturday at 10 AM and RN was out doing her 6th lap. She came in at 11:15, having done 60 miles, and took a 15 minute nap while her crew restocked her hydration pack. Change of clothes and socks and she and I headed out for her fourth pink loop. That took us 2 1/2 hours. We were not going very fast, it was a run-hike-run pace. I handed her over to M who was going with her on the next yellow loop, then A was doing the pink loop, and the last loop would be either me or RNDH. Hung around -- crewing an ultra runner involves a lot of hurry up and wait -- saw the afternoon festivities and a wedding involving at least one runner (I think both bride and groom were running but I never did get their names), and RN and A came in after 9 PM, well after dark, and RNDH allowed me the honours of the last loop. He's had some injuries. We got her dressed for the cold (40s, foggy, and a brisk wind) and she and I took off at 9:20 or so. That was the yellow loop, almost all walking. Pitch dark except for our flashlight and headlamps, no moon, no stars due to cloud cover. Trees, dirt, rocks, brush, up, down, up, down. I imagine it might have some nice scenery if one could see one's surroundings. Two aid stations, one near the beginning which had grilled cheese and avocado sandwiches, one near the end which had chicken soup -- RN had two cups and that helped her a lot, both the hot food and the salty fluid, I think. I ran out of bad jokes partway through that loop. We slogged on, RNDH came out about a mile to meet us, and we finally saw the campsites that indicated we were getting close. RN crossed the finish line in 32 hours and a few seconds. 4th female overall, 1st in her AG.Very proud of herself and rightfully so -- this is her second 100 miler.

It's a 2.5 hour drive from the ranch back home, and I had to be at church at 7 AM to open up for the early service. RN crawled straight into the tent, I headed home. Made it about 1.5 hours and knew I wasn't going to be able to go the rest of the way without a nap. Got off the freeway, found a place to park in an industrial area (nothing stirring on Sunday morning), set my phone for an hour and went to sleep. Back on the road and got home with enough time to shower, do kitten care, and eat breakfast (hadn't had much on Saturday) before church. Needless to say no run for the rest of the day.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-21 9:11 AM
And no run this morning either. I was too tired to get up.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-21 9:33 AM
Well done RN! :cool:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-21 1:25 PM
Oh, and if you were doing the math, yes, 32 hours from 6 PM Friday is 2 AM Sunday morning. So that last loop took us over 4.5 hours.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-21 2:50 PM
Wow, good on RN and wow are you an awesome friend! I’m sure she really appreciated all of your help. Gosh I’m exhausted after reading that :laugh:
Parent - - By AmyDel Date 2018-05-21 4:22 PM
nicely done Arimathea and RN - I'm an almost-RN, looking to find my love of running again. :wink:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-21 9:50 PM
Hi Amy! Hope you do.

BTW, RN = Running Neighbor. She is not actually an RN, she's an accountant, lives up the street from me. I use "RN" to preserve her anonymity online.

How much longer do you have in school?
Parent - - By AmyDel Date 2018-05-23 6:43 AM
:grin:   I have to get thru the Fall semester & then I take my boards - so this time next year I should be an RN... Running Neighbor AND Registered Nurse.: pbbt:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-05-23 8:24 AM
:cool:  What kind of nursing do you want to do?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-05-22 10:16 AM
Wow...what an adventure!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-05-22 1:08 PM
Wow! That's awesome! A friend of mine did a 6 day race this past weekend (well last week/weekend) and ran 253 (I think, I know it was over 250 just not sure of the exact number) miles. It was a 1 mile loop over and over and over :shocker!: She is amazing and slightly insane!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-22 6:18 PM
:shocker!:  I can't begin to imagine how mind numbingly awful that would be. :cry:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-22 9:59 PM
I can, because I have done a race like that. But I gave up after 54 laps.

I have also done a marathon which was 12 2.2 loops. kellyv was also at that race, which is mostly a relay but which has a solo division. That was pretty awful too.
Parent - By BoredTemp Date 2018-05-23 10:07 AM
at least you know where the hydration and rest stops are though on races like that.  <silver lining>
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-05-25 10:15 AM
This was the race she did. I was wrong she did 258. However in looking at the results, some lunatic actually did 547 miles :shocker!:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-05-23 6:06 AM
Congrats to RN! You are a great friend.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-05-23 6:55 AM
Wow congrats RN!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-05-21 2:30 PM
Weekend--

Sat, 45 min in water that is approaching 50. It felt so good. the water was really still and flat, which is rare. Murkey and a bit stinky, but a great swim
Sun, 2 hour synchro. We are really getting better!! There is a woman in the group, P, who has a developmental disability. She's a strong swimmer, but struggles to keep focused and to remember choreography.  The coach is now choreographing for me and the other swimmer, S, and P is my "understudy".  This is typical with synchro, you have to plan for those who always show up, and P doesn't always show up.  However, yesterday she got very frustrated that she didn't have a "partner" when S and I do (each other). She really relies on watching someone else to keep up.  She was supposed to watch me, but for whatever reason, that wasn't working for her.  As someone who spent my life doing disability work, I really want her to participate. At the same time, the whole point of synchro is that we are all doing EXACTLY the same thing at the same time (seriously, I watched the senior team members spend 30 min one day on exactly the angle of their fists for a pose that lasts about 2 counts!!). I have really mixed feelings about the whole thing. I want her to swim if she can keep up, but I'm only willing to slow down so much to include her.  Perhaps that makes me not the best disability advocate.

Today, had yoga planned. MCF was awake when I got up, so did a different kind of yoga instead. :wink:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-21 2:52 PM
Gosh, that is a difficult situation. I admire you for owning your feelings and interrogating them. I’m not sure how I would respond in our situation. Very tough.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-21 9:50 PM
Good thing yoga mats are washable. :wink:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-21 2:54 PM
Hi all! 5.5 beautiful sunny miles this morning at a blistering sub 10 mpm pace! I’m actually being serious. I felt really good for the first time in awhile.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-21 9:51 PM
Wow! I couldn't pull out 5.5 sub-10 miles now and I am not pregnant.
Parent - - By BoredTemp Date 2018-05-22 7:12 AM
isn't it funny how different people have different strengths?   I am faster than you, but could never dream of doing the mileage you do.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-22 8:45 AM
what BoredTemp said!!!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-21 9:52 PM
And I have a run! 4 miles after work. It's cool and foggy and I am done with classes so can run some evenings!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-05-22 10:23 AM
No run for me today: my heel/ankle bones are a bit jammed up again and need to be pulled back into alignment. So a chiro visit, and then I think some stationary biking and upper body weights. The good news is that my heel/ankle misalignment is resolving itself; the muscles and tendons are gradually accepting proper alignment.

The bad news is that when it's out of whack, I feel a lot like the Little Mermaid in the original story, whose every step on land when she was given human legs felt like walking on knives. Okay, yeah, that is overly dramatic, but I do get a stab of pain every step when I try to push my forefoot off the ground. I end up with a sort of clonky walk and it pisses me off. I used to be able to run 20 miles at the drop of a hat and now I am hesitating over each step? Eff this crap... :mutmad:

In nicer news, after a lot of thought, I finally changed my name. I dropped XH's last name and took T-Bone's. So now I am Mrs. Zipper MaidenName T-Bone'sLastName. He was delighted; it obviously means a lot to him, which has set me to musing on the patriarchal name system.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-22 10:01 PM
Congratulations on the name. Ugh on the heel/ankle bone pain.

Names are funny.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Mundane Monday Dailies