Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Is it Friday already?
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-18 5:43 AM
Thanks for celebrating Friday Eve yesterday.  Today we get the real deal.

What is going on?

QOTD what year is the oldest race giveaway shirt in you collection?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-18 5:46 AM
I am rearranging my day so that getting a run in does not fall to chance.  Temps in the high 50's and cloudy right now (going to 80) so I'll head out for some miles after I walk the dog.

We recently had a club run and asked everyone to wear their oldest race shirt.  1996 won.  My oldest is 2002; my first 5k.  long sleeved, olive-green, heavy-weight cotton.  I was so proud of that shirt!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-05-18 6:16 AM
Today is class competitions for our school.  At my last school each year the high school students competed in tricycle races, hula hooping, rope jumping, basketball free throw, tug of war.  It was a blast.  I brought the idea to my new school so for the first time our 4-6 grades will compete.  There are four homerooms in each grade level, so each grade will compete against the other homerooms.  It should be a lot of fun.

My oldest shirt goes back to 1983 to a 10K I ran when I was a senior in high school.  I have several race shirts from the 80s. 

5 miles this morning.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-18 7:12 AM
I want to go to your school.    Yesterday I went to the 8th grade talent show - while the results were being tabulated the teachers provided beach balls to the kids on stage to bat back and forth with the audience.  It was so much fun!  At that age, they can't decide whether to be kids or grown ups and I could tell they all just loved acting like little kids for 15 minutes.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-18 7:21 AM
Acting like kids?:wtf:   That's a very grown up thing to do at concerts.   And sadly some graduations.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-18 12:49 PM
Oh you are a youngster!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-18 6:40 AM
8 miles for me this morning.  Humidity was a tough.  I was going to do a run 5/walk 1 method but I was struggling to even do that, so I switched to a heart rate run.  Tried to keep the average down in the mid-130s which I did but it ended up giving me a 12:30 pace for the run.  But I finished while still upright and I am not too tired or sick now. Despite 2 bottles of water and a breakfast of a couple Eggo Buttermilk Waffles with butter and syrup, I was still down 2.5 pounds after the run.   That's not bad I guess but it means I sweated out twice that I think.

I do a closet purge every now and then.  In fact I did one about a week and a half ago.  Small stack to donate and 3 garbage bags full of junk. That is where most my race shirts end up.  I think the oldest one left is the 2002 Las Vegas Marathon. Being my first marathon I haven't been able to toss it yet.  I did toss 1 of my 2 Chicago Marathon shirts (also 2002) in the recent purge.  It took some time to convince myself to toss it. I haven't worn it in years and it doesn't fit good.

My first ever road run after high school in the late 70's was a "Podiatrist 5k" that went right by Niagara Falls. (Some famous "urban planner" got a highway built on the American side of the Falls that let you zip right through town.  Businesses complained for years and they finally shut it down, forcing people to exit the highway and drive through Niagara Falls to get to the other side. The race was along that closed highway.  It was pretty cool.)  I kind of wish I kept that one as a souvenir.

Thinking about that makes me want to take a trip "home".  Visit with my brother and run in the morning around the Falls. Some of the best running you'll ever find.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-18 7:15 AM
I parted with all my race medals and it was tough.  Most were only "participation"  medals but still...  I've got my shirt inventory whittled down to ones from my first 5k, my first 1/2, and my only marathon.  I still have all my race bibs though.  When I die and the kids have to clean out my house they are going to be shaking their heads in disbelief.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-18 7:52 AM Edited 2018-05-18 7:55 AM
I gave most my medals away to a place called "Medals for Mettle".  They put the medals on fancy ribbons and give them to special needs kids.

I still have my 2 marathon medals. (I'll never do another one of those.)  I ran 10 Crim races and for some reason I kept all those (so far).  And I have kept a few of my 20 half marathon medals. Mostly where I have gone somewhere: Green Bay, Deadwood, Charlevoix, Mackinac Island, Buffalo.

(I gave my 2 Tallahassee medals to my 2 granddaughters.)

I have my bibs from the two marathons, but other than that I don't save bibs.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-18 7:27 AM
That is one heck of a run this morning.  Way to stick with it.    That Falls run sounds awesome.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-18 12:50 PM
Dave,
I think you miss Michigan.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-18 7:48 AM
I decided for an evening run last night.  I had low expectations.  Hope Dining Room is a lot of on the feet back and forth time and the legs were dead.  I needed some cardio.  The run was ok but I was not use to the extreme humidity.  It was gross.  Legs are sore this morning. 

Aunt Shirley comes home today and we start a new chapter.  This will be a little challenging.  It will take more time.

Funny about T shirts.  I just bought a bunch of new T shirts the other day.   I have run very few races in the last 5 years so my old race T shirts were looking ragged.  I have often wondered what are the qualifications for race shirt design.  Or most must have been designed by a committee.Some pretty lame stuff.  Hey Dawn, maybe Lisa could be a professional race shirt designer.  I think the oldest shirt I "wear" is a 2004 Caesar Rodney half marathon shirt, long sleeve.  I wear a 2004 Steamtown Marathon shirt (long sleeve) when I have my garden railroad open house.

Day # 8 of rain.   2 more to go.  Flash Flood watch today.   Off to get Aunt Shirley.

Tom in DE
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-18 12:51 PM
You guys have definitely had a lot of rain lately.  Send it down here.

Hope all goes well with Aunt Shirley.  Your wings must be very light.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-05-18 10:53 AM
Hey there all!!

Well I missed Friday Eve. Friday eve's are so crazy for me. Last night I was exhausted!! I did find a frog on the truck, so I took a video of it hopping on my arm and climbing up my finger for my grandson Jack--he loves frogs! Those lil suction cups are so weird feeling.

This morning I drove to the Battle Road to run. I love running there, but driving there is such a pain. I can't figure out why driving there is always such a hassle, but coming home it's a breeze. Weird traffic flow. Anyway 2.4 miles in 30 minutes. I hate posting that. I hang my head. I don't even think you can call that a run..a jog maybe, a slog, a very fast walk... : pbbt:

Stopped at the vet, Kmart, and the bank. Oh and chased the cat around the house with her flea and tick stuff. I open the box and she is *poof! How does she know? That's my day so far.

I started running in the 80's so my oldest race shirt is long gone. I still remember my first race shirt Bay to Breakers was a fish that looked like a shoe. https://goo.gl/images/Lmn3CC
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-18 12:20 PM
great shirt logo!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-18 12:51 PM
Hi Deb!

Any run is good.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-18 12:48 PM
Oh my goodness, another school shooting.   Sad.

I am going to the movies this afternoon and tomorrow will be a busy Saturday.  Breakfast with my siblings, last HOA Board meeting as an officer and then a party afterwards.
I need to get a workout on both days.  Dottie and I are the remaining Step participants on our team.  So we need to encourage each other to post.  Today I thought I had lost my FitBit.

Other than that, nothing much.  I am decluttering again.  I do have most of my old running shirts and after reading the comments, perhaps I need to go through them one more time and get rid of some. Need to do that with the medals also.

I always have so much to say until I get on the computer and then poof it all disappears. 

Enjoy your Friday afternoon!
Parent - - By Ron274 [us] Date 2018-05-18 2:03 PM
I pretty much purged all the race shirts. I do have one left from my last Ultra in 2014. Now my closet is loaded with cycling jerseys and golf hats. :grin:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-18 3:07 PM
Hi Ron...:cool::cool::cool:   Please stick around a while.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-05-18 2:43 PM
Hello All.
Babz graduation this morning from Grad school. Master of Social Work.
29th wedding aniv for Sam and me this Sunday.
Ran 2.16 miles this afternoon. ankle about 90% better.

QOTD-not sure. have some from 2002. But don't think i saved any of the older ones.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-18 3:09 PM
Way to go Babz.   Amazing kids.    Hope you and Sam get to celebrate Sunday.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Is it Friday already?