Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / MonDaily
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-05-14 12:28 PM
Post 'em.

Do you encounter wildlife of any sort when you run your regular routes?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-05-14 1:11 PM
Damp and grey here this weekend but I had a couple of nice runs regardless. Saturday, 7 miles at French Creek on the Six Penny Loop to take in the wild orchids. They were out in force, and ran into a group of folks out doing a count. They said they counted 88 last year and were well on their way to matching or exceeding that number. I had to reroute my planned loop as there was a mountain bike race taking place. I had to run with the bikers for 1/2 mile. LOL, one guy was recovering from a steep uphill and I could have passed him but though it would have been poor form, especially since a downhill was coming up. Good run in mild humid conditions. Yesterday, was 11 miles with the Lady and some Traildawgs down in Fair Hill MD. Actually a 2 state run as we wandered the northern border into PA for a bit. Great day for running in the morning, cool grey and humid, but oddly the park was empty. Mother's Day I guess.

Today, planet of fitness routine at lunch, short run with the Lady on the local trail, and yes another lawn mowing session.

I see the usual forest critters during my runs (squirrel, chipmunk, deer) and sometimes gardner or rat snakes, and very rare occasion a fox. Oh, birds too of course of many varieties but Canadian Geese are the most notable out by the lake. Hear more birds than I see I suppose.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 1:56 PM
Hi XT!

Hope you are doing OK
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 2:04 PM
Nice runs XT!!

Sorry to disappoint you with nothing :mischief: today!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:20 PM
I had the running path all to myself yesterday afternoon too, I assumed because of Mother's Day. It was nice!
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:03 PM
3 miles for me today.

I'm in a fairly urban area now, so I don't see much wildlife, though I did see an otter once in a creek I run over.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-14 6:31 PM
5 miles along the river at lunchtime, cool and cloudy which made for some pretty good running. :happy: I also ran some in Pittsburgh over the weekend but not as much as I wanted because we were there to see a really good friend in the hospital and spend time with his family...I'm kind of hiding this here to not make a big deal but brain cancer and surgery and what's to come is a big deal so I guess that I'm asking for anyone's good thoughts and prayers for Dave and his family if you're inclined. You'd really like him even though he's a lawyer haha...everyone really likes or loves him as I do because of who he is and how he treats others. Thanks. :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-15 7:39 AM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-05-15 8:09 AM
:hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-05-15 8:22 AM
:hug::hug:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-05-14 12:44 PM
45 minutes on the elliptical this morning, will go to boxing class tonight.  As I run on a golf course as well as on bike paths which border wooded areas, depending on the time of year, I will see snakes, armadillos and other small varmints.  All year long, I will occasionally encounter coyotes and bobcats.

As a mother who has always worked outside the home, I have often faced the challenge of how to handle a sick kid.  Over the past 20 years, I have always tried to be respectful other families and at the very least, not sent a kid with a fever to daycare or school. When the boy (who is 18 and graduating HS in three weeks) walked downstairs today, I could tell just by looking at him that he had a fever.  My Mom SuperPower of putting my cheek to his told me his temperature was a bit over 100 and this was confirmed by a thermometer.  As he had the AP Biology Test this morning, for the first ever, I sent a feverish kid to school.:meh:  I gave him some Advil, told him not to breath on anyone and to come home immediately after the test.  I kinda feel guilty.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 1:10 PM
Don't feel too bad. I feel like by this age they don't spread germs as much as when they're little. I hope he feels better! :hug:
Snakes :cry:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-05-14 1:10 PM
sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. i hope he feels better.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-05-14 1:13 PM
Hope he's feeling better soon!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 1:58 PM
I work FT, but working from home has made it that when I have a sick kid I can juggle it. Here is the most amazing thing-N has less than 3 weeks left of Kinder and has yet to miss a day! (Knock on wood). I had perfect attendance from K-6, so she gets that from me--if there is one thing I can pass on to my kid, a strong immune system is it.

Hope Blazerboy feels better.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:22 PM
We saw lots of armadillos on our road trip! They were all dead on  the side of the road though.

Hope blazerboy is feeling better!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-05-14 2:31 PM
Armadillos are funny. The Lady and SirB saw them once on the trails in Oklahoma. I am not sure they knew what to think, though they did give chase.

Sorry about Blazer Boy. Hope he does well on his test regardless.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 1:07 PM
Hi!

cyclebar for me :)

I did run 1.5 miles Saturday as part of an Orange Theory class and my foot feels surprisingly great. I can't walk right yet but that's NOT because of my foot. My quads. :cry:
I am seeing a podiatrist tomorrow.

Not much wildlife. I see the occasional bunny and I've seen foxes. The foxes are cool! :cool:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-05-14 1:11 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-05-14 1:15 PM
Hmmmm..
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:22 PM
Yay for the foot! :grin:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-05-14 2:29 PM
Foxes are a rare treat to see here. They are in our woods but very shy and elusive.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 2:38 PM
We had one run through the front yard the other morning. She was clearly a mother.
It sort of makes me nervous for our chickens but they're in a run and rather big now.
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-05-14 1:09 PM
gorgeous weekend here and super busy.

10 mile trail race saturday which went better than expected. I wasn't planning on racing it especially since hip has been a bit touchy about things. I finished the race in 2:10 two years ago and thought i'd be around 2;30 this year. 2;23 and i felt great so i will take it! :grin: then opera saturday evening with mom. it was a long one (aida) and hip was annoyed a bit towards the end so i thought i might need to take day off (bike might annoy hip too) but it felt better than i expected so i went and did 7 on local hilly trails. :happy: then mom's day brunch, a lot of house cleaning and yardwork. I'm pleased to come to work today and rest! :laugh: I had a longer dental appointment though so needed to be into work early and switched rest day to today. I have an appointment about hip on thursday. fingers crossed that this guy can fix it (he has in the past!).

ETA: just usual small critters. quite often i'll see a bald eagle or heron which i always enjoy.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 1:11 PM
Nice job on your race!!

Fingers crossed for your hip appointment. :hug:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-05-14 1:12 PM
my quads are sore too from the long technical downhill section. :grin:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 1:16 PM
:grin: misery loves company
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-05-14 1:15 PM
Great job!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 1:59 PM
I forgot! I see blue herons all the time too.

How are you doing?
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-05-14 9:49 PM
busy managing 3 80+ year old lately. We feel outnumbered! :shocker!:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:23 PM
Hope you get the hip all fixed up! :hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-05-14 2:28 PM
Congrats on the race. Always good to run a better time than expected!

I forgot about herons. I see them often at the lake. I love watching them take off to fly. So prehistoric looking.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-05-14 1:20 PM Edited 2018-05-14 1:27 PM
Dreary here over the weekend. It was pouring Saturday morning, so I decided to putter around and clean the house and do laundry and see if things improved in the afternoon.. It really didn't, so I said eff it.

8 on Sunday morning is the drizzle. My left hamstring is still bugging me.

I am thinking I should sit out the Buffalo marathon memorial day weekend..

oh..critters.. lots of stuff. deer, turkeys racoons, turtles, eagles, owls, herons, ducks etc..
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 2:03 PM
I’m sorry it’s still bugging ya. :hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:24 PM
:sad: on the hamstring, how long has it been bugging you?
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-05-14 6:11 PM
I did a week ago  and strained it there I think tho I didn't feel it during the race. Runs felt okay last week. I could feel it, but it fel like it was slowly improving and loosening up when I ran. Friday I had to mow and right when I started out the effing tire came off the mower. It's a tractor. So in lifting the thing to get the tire back on, I strained it again. I felt it but had no choice because I had to get the tire back on. First mow of the season and I took half a day Friday to do it because it was the only non rain day in the forecast. It will be ok. Just frustrating. And I guess I will save some $$ not running Buffalo. As it is,I am going home (four hours away) this coming weekend for a reunion so I wasn't really looking forward to doing in again the following week.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-15 7:40 AM
:sad:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-05-14 2:27 PM
Shucks on Buffalo, but maybe a good call. Still a few weeks to go, right?
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-14 1:49 PM
I'm back from my road trip! :cry: It was awesome and I am not at all happy to be home. : pbbt:

Rest day today. I ran 5 miles Saturday and 10 miles yesterday. Tapering/reverse tapering? for VCM in 2 weeks. I don't normally run more than 2 marathons per year (last year was the first time I ever did more than 1), but this running them for fun and not for time thing is pretty cool and makes them easier to recover from!

The local wildlife on my runs isn't too wild: bunnies, squirrels, the occasional deer and raccoon. There have been coyotes spotted on the path I run on sometimes but I've never seen one.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 1:59 PM
I loved seeing your pictures. Welcome home
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 2:03 PM
Welcome back! Loved the pics! Looked like an amazing trip! :grin:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-05-14 2:27 PM
Welcome back to reality! No PR attempt at VCM then? It seems like you've been too busy to focus but maybe you enough miles in the bank to give it a go if you get a good day.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:56 PM
I took the week off after Big Sur then logged 25 miles last week, with 10 miles as my long run. Nothing focused at all, so likely not a PR attempt at VCM. But like you said, I will see what the day brings!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:33 PM
It looked like a great trip!
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 1:55 PM
I am going to dip my toes in here and try to get back to posting.

my running has been pretty :meh:for the past year or so, which is fine. I have decided at this point in my life I am just a hobby jogger. That is OK right? Otherwise, things are pretty good with me from a life perspective.

I mostly posted on Marathons, so if I am new to folks here I am happy to answer questions!

run was 6 miles.

wildlife? Yes. Owls, Hawks, coyote, bobcats, fox. Yesterday I saw two drug deals go down and a guy pissing on a tree in the park where I run.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 2:02 PM
Hi!
Are you still in Dallas? I think I remember that right! Been awhile since we were on the preggo forum together! My girl is also finishing kinder. Time really does fly. :sad::hug:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:30 PM
Yes I'm still in Dallas. You're in FW right?
Time does fly, we have had a great experience with kinder-N is in a DISD all girl STEAM academy, it is awesome.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-14 2:38 PM
Oh wow, that sounds great!  :hug:
Yep, Fort Worth. It's already getting steamy.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-05-14 2:25 PM
Hi Donna!!  :waving:

Yes, hobby jogging is fine. I consider myself a hobby trogger now.  (trail jogger)

Ugh on some of your wildlife.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:31 PM
yes, some true wildlife :roll:nobody needs to see that. The drug deals make me sad, I see a few every week. But the dude taking a leak? Come on. There is a restroom less than 1/4 mile away in the park and a 7-11 across the street.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:26 PM
Are you running RTB this year?

Two drug deals? :shocker!:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:32 PM
I see a few drug deals a week.

Yes I am planning to run RTB. My big wild card is my mom, if she wins her primary I may need to re-evaluate. I need to conserve my vacation days to go to NY a few times.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:33 PM
Hey Donna!

That’s some pretty wild life!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 3:31 PM
I live a very exciting life
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-05-14 2:52 PM
Hi Donnasaur! :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 3:31 PM
Hi Rob!!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-05-14 9:47 PM
yeah, there is a lot of wildlife including encampments and other very dodgy behavior. it's the new normal now here. :sad:

i mostly like stalking you to see what books you've really recommended. :grin: i know i missed one which i'm trying to figure out what it was.  sing unburied sing? i've been hearing amazing things about that one.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-15 8:24 AM
I liked Sing Unburied Sing!

The book thing is funny, I started posting the pictures this year just for my own amusement and have been a little bit surprised how many people look at that. What is interesting is the range of people who comment on different types of books. It's been fun, I will probably continue next year.
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:31 PM
5 miles at noon

I knew it was going to be a late night last night so I didn’t want to run this morning so it was a heat acclimation run. About 80 degrees at noon, but the humidity mustn’t have been too high as I had some large dry sections on my shorts. Usually, I will be totally soaked on a day this warm.

Ran a hilly, hot half marathon with my son on Saturday. Since there was no chance of running any decent time in the conditions we had, I ran with him and got him through his first half. He did really well until the last few miles that were in the blazing sun and mostly uphill. Everyone was walking in that section so we really didn’t do too badly overall. We enjoyed the beer festival afterwards even though I had to limit my intake so I could drive the 3 hours home.

He had some interviews locally today so drove down late last night (and the main reason I didn’t want to be gone first thing this morning). One of the interviews is for the new Middle School that feeds the high school where he graduated - the principal is one of his former teachers. :laugh:

If I run from the house I can see cows, horses, chickens and sheep.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 3:32 PM
that is a brutal finish for your son. Congrats to him on finishing
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-05-14 9:43 PM
who picked that course?! :shocker!: good for him (and you) for getting a solid finish in tough conditions.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-05-14 2:47 PM
Taught spin class this morning and did hip & shoulder exercises afterwards.

Laundry  : pbbt:

Pretty tame wildlife on the usual routes when I ran...squirrels, dogs and those pesky geese from the country north of us.  On the bike, my typical routes get into more rural areas and I've encountered deer, 1 snake, some chickens :wtf:  and horses that are separated from me by a fence.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 3:32 PM
Hi Ed!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-05-14 5:00 PM
Yo Donna!
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-05-14 2:59 PM
12 miles this morning and 2 this afternoon. I'm front-loading my week because I am gonna be real busy Wed./Thurs.

I see deer 4 or 5 days a week, beaver almost every day, turkeys 3 or 4 days a week (in the spring), lots of opossum/squirrels/rabbits/hawks/owls/geese/ducks. Occasionally I have seen bobcats, foxes and coyotes. We moved out to the fringe of the suburbs a few years ago and there is a lot of open space, woods and critters.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-05-14 3:33 PM
that is some fun wildlife!
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-05-14 5:40 PM
Would love to see a bobcat - no luck yet.
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-05-14 5:36 PM Edited 2018-05-14 5:39 PM
Happy Monday,

No running today but had a good one yesterday.   I'm going to do some stretching and kettlebell stuff later.   Spent the day getting the trailer ready for camping next weekend which is a lot of work but worth it.   If all goes according to plan, we'll be at fundy national park for a few days of trail running, biking, campfires and family time.   Hopefully the weather is good.  We'll also be taking advantage of fresh seafood - scallops and haddock :-)

On my regular routes just the typical stuff - deer and other forest residents.   On my good routes around fundy park and north -  black bear, moose,  and a possibility of lynx.   I've only seen one bear so far though and a few moose.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-05-14 6:34 PM
You win the wildlife contest! :laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-05-14 9:41 PM
sounds fantastic!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-15 7:41 AM
Lynx! :cool:
- By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-05-15 8:08 AM
ran 2.50 miles with benji

sometimes we see bunnies, but that's about it.

pure cardio insanity dvd before dinner.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / MonDaily