Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / My hometown makes international news
- - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-11 11:14 AM
Our Monks (from Grimbergen) want to brew beer again:

NY Times
UK Times (priest on the left did the communion I went to last week)
The National Post

First, they need to find the recipe again :grin:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-11 12:08 PM
This article reminded me of something that happened in my hometown recently.

Although this was a really crappy end to a really great priest.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article176075481.html
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-11 12:31 PM
Now Poirot has been instructed to stop brewing by the bishop in the Fort Worth Diocese

:roll:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-11 1:06 PM
Yep :roll::roll:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-11 1:14 PM
Don't church picnics serve a ton of beer?

They do in Wisconsin, but they serve beer at everything in Wisconsin.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-11 1:21 PM
And wine!
I think the bishop was jealous?! I don’t know.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-05-11 2:52 PM
We would drink beer at picnics, fund raiser dinners, euchre parties, after parish council meetings and in the kitchen during & after Fish Fries!
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-05-15 11:06 AM
Church Picnic! BEER
Sporting Event! BEER
Elementary School Graduation! BEER
Colonoscopy! BEER
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-05-11 2:48 PM
I am a Catholic who after being VERY active in the Catholic church for 45 years, has attended a Methodist church the past 5 years.  Two years ago, my running buddies, who also go to this same Methodist church, were talking about the silent auction & dinner which was being held at church.  I asked if it was a cash bar or BYOB.  They were horrified I thought there would be alcohol. :shocker!: I explained (a) there was alcohol at EVERY SINGLE activity I ever attended as an adult in the Catholic church and (b) the silent auction would raise at least three times as much money if there was alcohol. 

One of the priests at St. Marys in College Station, came up with his own beer.....the Ale Mary....as a fundraiser.  The New Republic brewery in CS brewed it for him.  I tried it and it was super!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-11 2:54 PM
I love the beer name!! Amazing!
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-16 12:24 PM
I would love the name if it wasn't so blasphemous :mutmad:: pbbt:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-11 1:46 PM
Catholic priests are supposed to live a life of modesty, so I guess this put too much attention on himself as an "individual" as opposed to his calling.
Although he clearly states that his calling is most important.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-05-11 1:55 PM
I’m sure you’re right. He also said he set aside one afternoon!

Thanks for sharing about the monks! :cool:
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2018-05-13 3:51 PM
I just returned from a Danube/ Rhine tour and toured many churches--I would not say they lived a modest life.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-05-11 1:39 PM
Keep your beer monks, I'm all about these French liquor monks:cool:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-11 1:56 PM
Are those herbal elixir spirits popular in the US?
We have a couple here like that. Usually seen as a digestive.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-05-11 2:58 PM
I would not say "popular" exactly, but you do run into them from time to time at places with fancy cocktail programs.  :cool:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-12 11:27 AM
Looks like Brussels made Fox News again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ly-T1BNQbw

:roll:
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2018-05-13 5:27 AM
Eww. I read some of the comments section. :meh:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-13 10:23 AM
Articles like these are like big rocks you can lift up to check out all the cockroaches underneath :wink:
Reality is that the non-European immigration these days is very diverse. It used to be mainly Moroccan/Turkish before the 90s (although biggest immigration numbers are from bordering European countries) but now it's really all over the place. So that's really a good thing. So the whole " Muslims are taking over" is really a fad.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-16 4:22 PM
:laugh: I hope they find the recipe! Sorry I missed this before...that's great stuff and cool about your connection to the town.

My bro (HardwoodRunner) has spent a lot of time in Germany in recent years, including a sabbatical for a year in northern Germany which he carried out a mission to try as many local brews in Germany and Belgium as he could, including many monasteries. He's been sold on Belgian style brews since, although I'm sure he'd say that the Monks do it best. I hope that your Monks carry out their mission. :grin:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-16 4:35 PM
I was at the town carnival last weekend and the priest in the picture was there as well.
One of the tents is the local boy scouts (scouting is mixed here) having a Special beers bar so that's where most adults will hang out (the priest included :wink:).
Turns out they didn't want to make a big fuzz about it, but apparently a neighbour or something informed the press and that's how the story blew up.
Grimbergen is already a very famous beer, but they aren't brewing it themselves so when word got out that they were working on a micro-brew themselves the press jumped on it.

So, a very good friend of mine who know the priest pretty well (he was also an former boy scout) was talking to him and he managed to get into the "taste committee" :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-16 4:43 PM
:laugh: Can your friend get me and/or hardwoodrunner on the taste committee?!! :wink:

Funny how this turned from an internal thing to international. :laugh:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-05-16 11:45 AM
Yes, a little late to the party.  Springsteen put this one out in the 80's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Hometown
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-16 12:27 PM
I heard there's a darkness on the edge of town though :wtf:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-05-16 1:44 PM
it's hard to be a saint in the city:hug:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / My hometown makes international news