Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2018-05-10 6:10 AM
Post. Leaves are growing bigger on our trees. :happy:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-05-10 6:14 AM Edited 2018-05-10 6:16 AM
Great news from the doc! :hug::grin::cool: He said in 1 more week the toe will feel a WHOLE LOT better.
He wrapped the toe in a more comfortable wrap. Bandage sticks to itself, not the toe. Much more comfortable! I've also wrapped the 3 middle toes.
Bruised foot will color up soon.
Then I see how the foot will tolerate the running shoe. If it does, at 3 weeks from the break/accident I can try running.
I should put the shoe on in the morning and run because the foot will swell later in the day.
Foot will keep swelling for 3 months and that is going to happen as part of healing process.
Running will NOT be the cause of the swelling so keep running.
These docs help a lot to keep a 75 year old woman running. 
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-05-10 6:32 AM
Yay, that's fantastic news!  I know you'll be happy to be back to running soon. :happy:
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-10 7:59 AM
Sounds like all good news.  How is walking going on the foot?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-05-10 6:06 PM
Walking is getting better on the foot. I was told to walk much slower, heel to forefoot, very evenly, rhythmically. The toes don't have to bend then. I'm also trying very hard not to limp. I don't want to unlearn it later when I run.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-10 10:18 AM
that's great news!! Good for you for being patient and for being a good self-advocate!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-05-10 6:06 PM
Thank you! :hug:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-10 6:38 AM
I eked out a sub-10 run for the first time in a week and a half, but it wasn't thanks to the weather.  It's warm and humid. :meh:  Maybe my new [to me; on clearance at the consignment store] running shorts.  They're purple. :grin:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-05-10 7:32 AM
Excellent work on the run! Yup. Purple shorts would do it. :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-10 8:00 AM
I'm pretty sure it was the weather :laugh:.  Good job on the run.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-10 10:19 AM
ooo new running gear is always awesome. Good job on the speedy run!!
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-10 8:04 AM Edited 2018-05-10 8:09 AM
Ran a little over 3 in under 28 minutes (mileage estimate based on what DH has said certain run distances are here.)  I planned for 30 but didn't really want to add anything.  I will probably post only on days I run.  I hope I can keep the running up as summer is coming.  I will have all 3 kids out of school and DD1 is staying at college to work there.  My DH has a few work trips planned for the summer so the dreadmill will be my only option.  DS1 will have some extended school days (due to disability) so maybe I can push DS2 and have DD2 ride her bike on those days.  Neither boy is a fan of the stroller at this point. 

It was only 74 when I started my run today.  Maybe I'll at least acclimate to warm weather by submitting myself to this crap.  DH is gone this week so there is no way I could get up early and run even if I wanted to do it.  I'm also happy to be at sub 10 minute miles.  Not sure how much faster I'll be able to get with the heat but maybe I can at least get some endurance.  I'm basically told to add 5 minutes to one run each week but step back if I start getting pain in my calf.

ETA: My running question of the day.  What do you wear during super sunny runs? 

I prefer to just wear sunglasses.  I just started wearing a visor again during runs.  I hate how sweaty the visor makes my head and I already have a ton of acne form it (PS I swear my acne is what makes people think I"m younger than I am).  I'm really only wearing it as I feel it somewhat "fools" my body into thinking it's not as bad as it is and really to keep the sun off my face.  In general, I usually wear a face cream that has SPF in it (although I think only 15) but I feel like I need more with the sun feeling like it's 6 inches from me now.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-10 9:17 AM
Juggling kids and running is difficult.  Good luck!

Just sunglasses?  I generally wear a sports bra, shorts, socks, and shoes. : pbbt:  As far as head wear goes, I wear a bandana or Buff.  They absorb some of the sweat, though they do soak through if it's very hot and I'm out for very long.  I have a running hat I wear if it's raining, but I've never worn it for sun.  I run first thing in the morning, though, so I try to avoid as much of the direct sun as possible.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-10 10:48 AM
A running neighbor seriously runs about 20 miles/day (no joke).  She always wears a hat, sunglasses, pants or capris, and a long sleeved shirt to keep the sun off:cry:.  She also is stuck running most days from about 9-1 so in nasty hotness.  I've talked to her a number of times.  She probably thinks I'm too underdressed.  I'm not brave enough to wear only a sports bra but usually a tank and shorts.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-10 12:35 PM
ok, that's crazy and amazing :shocker!:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-05-10 9:26 AM
Great work on the run. Dealing with family, yet still running, gets you extra credit in my book.
With super sunny runs, I try hard to find shade. :laugh:  I prefer my visor for sun or rain.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-10 10:49 AM
Shade is more difficult to find here in the sunshine state : pbbt:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-10 10:17 AM
I hate to wear sunglasses on my run and prefer a visor or a hat : pbbt::laugh: To each their own! I do think that the brim is good for shielding my face from UV. and of course I always wear sunscreen.

nicely done on the 3 miles! Good pace :cool: Good luck with summer running, both the temps and the scheduling. I hear you on trying to fit in runs with kiddos. it's no picnic.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-05-10 5:32 PM
Would one of those light weight tech fabric baseball caps be better than the visor? And washing it every day or so would also help cut back on the acne.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-05-10 6:23 PM
i prefer nothing - but my dermatologist has made it quite clear that i will be running in sunscreen and a baseball cap. : pbbt:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-10 10:15 AM
So. Close. To. Finishing. The. Semester. Limping towards the finish line - tomorrow at noon is my final deadline and then Let The Summer Fun Begin! Worky worked all morning and now I'm heading out for 5 trail miles to clear my head before this afternoon's push. The end is in sight!!
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-05-10 10:49 AM
So you get the entire summer off?  By choice or is that how the program works?  Enjoy the trail miles.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-05-10 12:36 PM
that's how the program works. and by "off" I mean I am studying for my first round of comprehensive exams, in august (3 4-hour exams), and working on my dissertation exams reading list (many many many books) and working on 2 articles I have to submit to journals by the end of the summer. So, you know, nothing really. :laugh:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursday dailies