Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Dairy State? And milk questions
- - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-08 4:43 PM
IB questioning whether WI is "The Dairy State" got me thinking. What state (or country) should be considered the dairy epicenter of the world? WI, PA, NJ, CA, France, Belgium or some other?

1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee?
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk?
3. Any other animals besides cows?
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)?
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk?
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic)
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-08 6:29 PM
It is a Frenchman (Pasteur) who made it possible to hold milk longer. but looking at the wiki the US is in front for cow milk.
Buffalo milk seems very popular too in India and Pakistan.

1. only drink milk with cereals. Don't eat cereals often.
2. 2%
3. nope
4. nope
5. yes, Soya milk mostly.
6. nope
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-08 6:49 PM
No doubt the US as a country is #1 in cows both for quantity of milk and meat. That's why I phrased the question as US states vs. other countries. Belgium has a pretty good dairy industry, no? Interesting about Buffalo milk in India and Pakistan and maybe other countries.

Thanks for mentioning soy milk which I neglected to mention along with the nut milks. That's really big in the US, and probably a huge reason the dairy industry here is in decline.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-05-08 6:34 PM
Wisconsin has more dairy cows than PA.  Click

1. Chocolate milk
2. Whatever DH buys, plus buttermilk for pancakes.
3. No.
4. No.
5. No.
6. No.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-08 6:53 PM
Thanks for the cool data link. :cool:

Yay buttermilk! I use it for pancakes too, plus drink an average of a quart a week. Almost makes up for not drinking other milk like we all should. :blush:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-08 9:33 PM
p.s. I notice that CA has more dairy cows than either WI or PA...probably why IB questioned me calling WI the dairy state.
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-05-08 11:10 PM
There is that.  :wink:  But honestly I liked the idea of PA as more of a dairy state than WI, though I didn't think there was a case for it.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 7:31 PM
:wink: Honestly, there are a lot of dairy states and countries.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-08 8:34 PM
I don’t use cow milk for anything.

I use coconut/cashew/almond/soy milk in smoothies.

I drink my coffee black.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-08 8:55 PM
:shocker!: Traitor to your state!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-09 7:19 AM
I also hardly eat cheese and when I do it is usually goat cheese.:shocker!:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 7:32 PM
:shocker!: Why do you hate cows? :cry:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-05-14 10:25 AM
a) They don’t have beards
b) They won’t sleep with him
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2018-05-09 4:49 AM

>I drink my coffee black.

Like your men? #Airplane!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-09 7:18 AM
My grandpa always made that joke when someone asked if he wanted coffee.:laugh:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2018-05-09 7:25 AM
I always make that joke when someone asks me how i want it.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-05-09 9:13 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-05-14 10:19 AM
The Beard = Hipster wannabe
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-05-08 11:09 PM
I was making a joke.  : pbbt:

1. You can make a case if you wish, but I feel that is a poor question. On the rare occasion that I drink coffee, I do not add any milk. I do sometimes, drink animal milk on its own.
2. Whole dammit!
3. I have had goat milk in my life but it isn't something that happens currently.
4. When I was living on the farm I drank raw milk.
5. I have had it from time to time but I'm not a big fan.
6. When will this other topic be discussed?
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 7:40 PM
I knew you were joking but you still got me thinking. :wink: And it's a good topical topic with milk-drinking on the wane.

Never knew that you lived on a farm. :shocker!: I suppose fresh raw milk is much safer than stuff which is a couple days or more old. It's available in PA mostly from Amish sources exempted from regulations.

:laugh: The other topic certainly has been discussed on runango and back on RWOL, but surprisingly not on L&O.
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-05-09 8:34 PM
I was either 11 or 13 when dad bought 10 acres. Once we got all set up he made a point of stating that the animals weren't pets. 'This one's name is pork chop, that one is t-bone, etc.' I lived there until just after I turned 18. I was a member of the FFA. I even traded half a side of beef I had raised for my first car.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 8:47 PM
That's very cool. My dad and uncles were raised on a farm and I grew up mostly in the country but we never had animals except for pets and a couple laying chickens. I love how you were in FFA. And how you traded a half side for your first car. :laugh::cool:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-05-09 10:23 PM
We had chickens as well, and one of my specialties at FFA competitions was egg grading.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-09 2:37 AM
1.  Milk in the coffee, and very rarely plain with a chocolate chip cookie.

2. Whole - otherwise it's like putting cold water in your coffee.

3. Not mik, but definitely cheeses of all sorts. had yak cheese pizza in Nepal which was interesting.
4. Nope.
5. Rarely, almond or soy.
6. Someone was recently extolling the virtues of unhomogenized. :wtf:
Flavored milk for coffee is a sin.
NZ is pretty high up there in the dairy cow world.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 7:41 PM
Yak cheese pizza! :shocker!::cool:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-21 6:32 PM
I have to revise part of my answer: I like spicy food and when I get spiced out, the only thing that helps is a big glass of milk. So not just in coffee or with cookies!
Parent - - By mutiger [us] Date 2018-05-23 11:19 PM
try buttermilk next time, after spicy food.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-24 3:31 PM
Buttermilk is outstanding for both the tongue and tummy after spicy stuff.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-24 10:05 PM
I had no idea of the virtues of buttermilk. It always just seemed like milk that's gone off..
Parent - - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-05-09 6:39 AM
1 - coffee, and oreo dipping.
2 - 2%
3 - NO WAY
4 - HELL NO
5 - Sometimes
6 - Drinking less and less of it the older I get.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 7:44 PM
Oh yes on oreo dipping! That also applies to graham crackers and Girl Scout Thin Mints, gulping the milk in between. :grin: I'll occasionally go on jags of up to 3 glasses of milk with those things in one sitting. :blush:
Parent - - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-05-10 6:25 AM
Yeah, you have to finish off the cup. Best milk ever!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-14 7:31 PM
Absolutely! :grin:
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-05-10 10:26 PM
On the wrong side of the cup / bar debate & the thin mints point of view.  :cry:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-14 7:31 PM
um that would be the right side on both things. : pbbt:
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-05-15 12:26 PM
I think I still like you but you're seriously delusional.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-15 5:53 PM
I still like you despite you being seriously delusional.
Parent - By IB Date 2018-05-15 6:38 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-05-09 7:08 AM Edited 2018-05-09 7:12 AM
1, yes but not that often. In coffee I actually use fat free half and half.
2. 1% because skim is gross but anything higher makes me feel queasy.
3. no
4. no
5. no, I can't. I used to use almond milk in smoothies but allergist said I can't anymore. Which is weird because I can eat almonds with no issues.
6. no
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 7:50 PM
How can half and half be fat free?! :wtf: I didn't mention light cream, heavy cream or half and half, but those things might be more popular than milk in coffee.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-05-10 3:34 PM
Yes indeedy it can be. Land o lakes is the brand I use and it's good.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-10 5:40 PM
hmmm I'll have to look for that
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-05-14 7:54 AM
don't do that.
drink the fully leaded stuff : pbbt:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-14 7:34 PM
:laugh: I suppose that when going for the gusto it defeats the purpose to get pseudo gusto. :wtf:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2018-05-09 7:47 AM
1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee? - Yes
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk? - whole
3. Any other animals besides cows? - goat quite often, camel a few times. Sheep's milk cheese
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? - yes, when available
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk? - have done but I wouldn't by choice
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic) - not sure this helps with your demographic study but all except the camel milk was standard when I grew up in the UK
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 7:53 PM
Cool about other animal products. :cool:

I'm with you about drinking whole when I drink milk other than buttermilk. Mrs. flamus consistently gets skim or fake milk which I can tolerate but not enjoy like whole milk.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-05-09 7:48 AM
This smacks of a Cambridge Analytica Poll, but I will take the risk since I trust the original poster.

1. Rarely. I do make tomato soup with milk instead of water and cream of wheat as well.
2. 1%
3. No
4. No
5. Fake milk tastes like awful water. I tried almond milk once. Blech.
6. We call black and white dairy cows Buster Cows as they are spotted like our first springer spaniel
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 7:56 PM
:laugh: I swear this is NOT from Russian sources! Thanks for your answers. In addition to tomato soup and cream of wheat, oatmeal of course is much better with at least a mix of water and milk.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-05-09 8:45 AM
1. yes, and I don't drink coffee
2. If I'm going to drink white milk (with oreos or warm chocolate chip cookies, etc) I choose 1%. the boys have 2% for the drinking and cereal and I will drink the hell out of some chocolate milk anytime, anyplace.
also, buttermilk for pancakes, and I love topping cereal w/ half & half
3. nope
4. oh no
5. I use Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk for my cereal. I think Silk brand tastes awful
6. my mom grew up eating and still likes a glass of popcorn w/ milk, which I think is odd, but I will sometimes have a bowl of saltine crackers w/ milk and sugar (learned that from her too) and it's delicious.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 8:04 PM
2% is quite ok by me, but anything less including the fake ones are just tolerable at best. :meh:

You mentioning choco milk reminds me of how jenn7 used that as a recovery drink and I've heard of other peeps doing that as well. Choco milk is a guilty pleasure for me and I don't drink it that offen but you go! :grin:

Popcorn and milk?! :shocker!: but now I need to try it. :laugh: My grandpa and to a lesser extent used to make milktoast, heating milk, butter and salt in a saucepan and adding chunks of toasted buttered bread. It was wonderful but i haven't had it in a couple decades. Maybe it's time.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-05-10 9:00 AM
chocolate milk is the best for recovery - especially after long bike rides. we have some every day after we're finished on RAGBRAI and it's tastes so amazing :cool:
I get it when we have breakfast out too - not a big fan of OJ, and I don't drink coffee, so it's a great option :grin:

I've heard of milktoast but never tried it - sounds like something I would try at least once
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-14 7:38 PM
Ah yes another choco milk recovery devotee. We might have had this conversation at TA, but I always used the choco flavors of muscle milk (tm) complete with non-natural chemicals.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-15 8:44 AM
Third chocolate milk for recovery! It's the best!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-05-09 9:22 AM
1. I drink at least 2 glasses of milk a day.
2. Skim, when both kids are home, we drink about three gallons a week.
3. Nope
4. I tried it once on a field trip to a dairy farm.
5. I also drink vanilla soy milk. I used to buy almond milk, but realized there was barely an protein in it, so it seemed to be a waste of my milk money.  I have tasted Ripple, which is made from peas. It was decent, but nothing I would buy at any frequency.
6. I LOVE milk!! During my first ultra, which was on a loop course, I had a half gallon of milk in my cooler so I could drink it when I passed by. If I swing by my house on a long run, I will often take a swig of it. The boy is the same way.....we both find cold milk super refeshing.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 8:06 PM
You drink a LOT of milk! That's a good thing. :cool: We all should follow your example...not only would we be healthier but so would be the honorable dairy industry.
Parent - By IB Date 2018-05-10 10:29 PM

>  During my first ultra, which was on a loop course, I had a half gallon of milk in my cooler so I could drink it when I passed by. If I swing by my house on a long run, I will often take a swig of it.

:shocker!::shocker!::shocker!:

I couldn't possibly imagine drinking milk during a run.
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-05-09 10:06 AM
1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee? It rare that I just have a glass of milk these days, although I use it in other things - like making ice cream and cereal.
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk?  We have 2% milk in the fridge  and heavy cream for ice cream.  Sometimes I "mistake" one for the other when making coffee
3. Any other animals besides cows?  No - but I do like goat milk and sheep milk and buffalo milk cheeses
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? No
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk?  Hell no
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic)  Think whatever you want about the state of dairy in your area - California continues to have the happiest cows.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 8:18 PM
Haha yes you "mistake" heavy cream for the 2%. :wink: While I almost always drink my coffee black, when I do whiten, its with the highest fat content available. Mrs. flamus whitens with skim through whole milk, and always asks for milk instead of cream when given a choice.

Other animal cheeses are a nice change of pace and especially suited to some recipes. Goat cheese in salads with fruit like cranberries is amazing. There is no such thing as a bad cheese since every single one is incredible (my dietary weakness).

:laugh: Yes those cows are happy!
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-05-14 8:24 AM
1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee?  Yes: especially chocolate milk; and milk on my cereal, oatmeal, etc
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk?  whole, half 'n half, and whipping cream - in my coffee, on my cereal or oatmeal, etc
3. Any other animals besides cows? I like goat cheese; we just bought some last night at Costco
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? I would if I could find it from someone I trusted around here.
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk?  Not on purpose
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic)  :laugh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-14 7:44 PM
You are a dairy animal! :cool: And that's a good thing. It's sad how the population generally is forgetting about dairy when it's so good for our health and our children's.
Parent - - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-05-14 10:29 AM
1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee?- Not in coffee, on cereal
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk? 2% and less because of the sugar
3. Any other animals besides cows? Are Almonds animals??  Goat if its been made into cheese
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? Nope
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk? My GF uses these so yes.  They aren't mile but are an acceptable cereal lubricant.
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic) Cheese, yougurt, ice cream sure.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-14 7:48 PM
Are Almonds animals?? :laugh:

I didn't know that lower fat milks also were lower in sugar...interesting.

Cheese, yogurt, ice cream for me too, although yogurt only occasionally compared to the other two things constantly. :wink:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2018-05-15 7:00 PM Edited 2018-05-15 7:07 PM
1. nope
2. none for me but I keep 2%  for my skinny teenaged boys...the 2 oldest adult kids (??) are as averse to full on milk/dairy as I am
3. nope
4. nope
5. yes almond but not often
6. milk hates me in all forms and I love all forms of milk so....its an evil relationship
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-15 7:17 PM
:cry: I didn't know that you had issues with milk...yes, that's an evil relationship. :meh:

But hi noel! :shocker!::grin::hug: It's good to see you here other than on the weeklies. :happy: Especially at this particular time of year, I really miss seeing you and others when we all should be in Georgia ya know.
Parent - - By h3ather (Nice Tips) [us] Date 2018-05-17 8:28 AM
I'm pretty sure CA has more dairy cows than those other states.  When I lived there I was bombarded with ads about how happy cows make happy milk (CA=sunny nice weather and WI=cold crap weather).

Wisconsin does still produce more cheese though.

1. usually, no. i also don't put it in coffee
2. whole or 2% fat isn't the enemy. sugar is (and they add sugar when they remove fat to make stuff taste better)
3. i eat goat cheese...
4. nope
5. nope
6. i eat lots of milk products and cook with it.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-21 6:01 PM
Yes, CA does have more dairy cows than any other state (and maybe country) and it's been mentioned in this thread. I suspect that it's not known for dairy because it's so big and has so much else. :wtf:

Goat cheese is really good because it is so creamy with a unique flavor. I love it in salads with cranberries or oranges, and I'm not a fruity salad kind of guy.
Parent - - By h3ather (Nice Tips) [us] Date 2018-05-22 9:10 AM
i make this couscous salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and goat cheese. it's really good :happy:

if you ever do the drive up the 5 from Los Angeles to San Francisco, it's all cows and not much else.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-22 6:31 PM
Ooooh, that does sound really good! :grin:

I've done that drive, but don't remember cows at all. :wtf: No doubt they were there but I just don't remember them, probably because I was noticing stuff different than PA.
Parent - By IB Date 2018-05-24 10:22 PM
You name it, we have got it!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-18 10:35 PM
1) Only in recipes. I can't remember the last time I sat down with a glass of milk.
2) Skim for me. DSBF drinks 2% so that is what tends to get tossed into the cart in Costco.
3) Are almonds animals?
4) Hell NO.
5) Yep. Almond or soy.
6) I like milk on cereal...
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-21 6:04 PM
I have milk on cereal way more often than I drink it, except for buttermilk. I don't much like nut or soy milk on cereal, though. Or drinking it, for that matter. :laugh: It will do in a pinch, though. :wink:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-20 5:45 PM
1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee? No, especially not in coffee.
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk? no
3. Any other animals besides cows? no
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? no
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk? I drink some unflavored, unsweetened almond milk and use it in cooking/baking.
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic) I consume some dairy-containing products, but mostly prefer not to.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-21 6:08 PM
Are you vegan, allergic or just don't like dairy? Just curious. :happy:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-05-21 8:58 PM
Vegetarian, don't particularly like dairy, and have one sibling who is lactose-intolerant and another who is vegan, so making a practice of avoiding dairy isn't all that difficult for me.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-22 6:35 PM
Got it. :happy: Personally, I really *need* dairy, particularly buttermilk, sour cream and cheese. The sour cream is from my half-polish ancestry and has been a staple in my life since childhood.
Parent - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-05-28 9:29 AM
:hug:
Parent - - By tasmulder [us] Date 2018-05-22 6:57 PM
nope
nope
nope
nope
almond
chocolate almond milk :meh:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-22 7:52 PM
Long time no talk to and it's good to see you, tas! :shocker!::hug:

Interesting inscrutable answers. If I might, why do you avoid dairy and if it's because you're vegan, how do you get your protein and calcium? (That's not a snarky question but rather because I want to learn more.)
Parent - - By tasmulder [us] Date 2018-05-27 10:26 AM
Left 2% milk behind 2 years ago because more gas and upset stomach issues. Almond milk(Silk) has been much better on my digestive system. Never been a vegan. I get protein from chicken, fish, beef, yogurt and Gatorade whey protein bars. Working in more veggies to up my intake in same.
Have only lurked a few times a month for the last six. More of my online time is for fantasy baseball and Draftkings.
Still no return to running but I'm feeling good. I just get a pretty good daily workout working at a Amazon Fulfillment Center. :cool:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-28 7:14 PM
Thanks for the answers. :happy: We all should be as conscious of our diet at you are.

Keep up with the fantasy baseball etc. but don't forget about us here. : pbbt:
Parent - - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-05-28 9:37 AM
Jasz, you have a nephew and niece who are super-strict vegans. They'll be happy to tell you how they get their protein, calcium, iron, vitamins D and B12, and omega-3. :wink:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-28 7:20 PM
Hey I know bro, and I definitely will be talking to M&E about that. I'm a slow learner but as you know am committed to learning about alternative things and adopt many of them. Thanks. :hug:
Parent - - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-05-28 5:35 PM
Wisconsin is definitely the dairy state. Even though we have a lot of dairy in PA, we are not the home of cheeseheads.

1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee?
    --not even in coffee
    --no, although I would never turn down buttermilk with a pinch of salt if it is offered to me
    --not since my wife and her friend got food poisoning from goat's cheese
    --not yet, but I know a farm that sells raw milk and I plan to. I have a basketball friend who went on a raw milk diet: nothing but raw milk for four weeks
    --I do occasionally but have little reason to since I rarely have cereal. Nut milks have almost zero protein, so when I make pancakes I use a pea/soy milk jacked with protein
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic)
    --Why would I have milk with a meal as long as I have beer in the fridge? I just don't drink milk or fake milk although I use the latter in recipes. On the other hand, I love dairy-based milk products like sour cream, yogurt and cheese. I use the fake versions sometimes, but they just aren't as tasty
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-28 7:38 PM
Next time you're at out house, you will have buttermilk with a pinch as I do every week.:happy: Of course, you know where that comes from. :hug:

You're pretty much given up milk like me. Despite the massive amounts if milk we we drank in our childhood. That's probably not a good thing. And not a good thing for our kids and grandchildren and next generations. Not to mention dairy farmers. :meh:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-29 2:12 AM
I always thought that milk wasn't quite as good for us a they make it out to be, not necessarily the best way to get calcium, full of hormones and who knows what else these days, and part of the reason it gets pushed is because of the dairy industry lobby.:wtf:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-30 6:21 PM
That's the cynical view. : pbbt: Most think it natural, full of nutrients and peeps drink it because it tastes good and we've been drinking it since birth. :wink:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-31 3:15 AM
:laugh: sorry. Ministicky drinks a lot of milk so that's one of the things we buy organic.
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-05-08 6:55 PM
1.  Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee?
No
No
No
No
Almond,Coconut
Milk has a lot of sugars added and synthetic vitamins.  I do use cream with no sugar added.  I think all in all cows milk isn’t a bad choice though especially for growing children.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-08 7:22 PM
goJim, I've got to challenge you about sugars being added to milk although I acknowledge that vitamins notably D are added in the US. Milk naturally has lactose but I've never heard of other sugars being added except in non-dairy milks. :wtf:

I agree that cow milk is a good choice even though you don't drink it and I drink little of it, especially for growing kids without intolerance/allergies. We do need the calcium, especially kids and women, if we don't get enough from other sources.
Parent - - By JimGo1 Date 2018-05-09 4:36 AM
Yes you’re right it’s a naturally produced sugar.   Similarly fruit has a natural sugar.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 8:22 PM
Yep. There's been increased awareness about added sugars especially HFCS, but folks aren't as aware about naturally occurring sugars. They aren't necessarily a bad thing, but peeps should be aware when considering their total diet.
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-05-09 6:33 AM
1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee? I drink vanilla creamer in my coffee, not milk. My boys and I go through about 3 gallons of milk per week, we drink a lot of it
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk? 2%
3. Any other animals besides cows? No
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? No, gross
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk? No, gross
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. I like to dip my double stuf Oreos in milk
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-09 1:50 PM
Double stuff oreos don't exist in NZ.:sad:
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-05-09 1:59 PM
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-09 11:22 PM
Tempting...though I'm not sure I could justify the shipping costs to NZ.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-05-09 2:14 PM
Back when I made my daughter's lunch for school, I would put four Oreos in her lunch.  After several months, I asked her what kind of cookies she liked besides Oreos and she told me, "Double Stuff Oreos".:roll::laugh:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-05-15 8:27 AM
I prefer the thin ones with the least amount of filling as possible. I'm all about that tasty cookie
Parent - - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-05-10 6:27 AM
Have you tried moving where they do exist?:shocker!::shocker!::shocker!::cry::cry::cry:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-15 1:02 PM
Yes. It came down to having double stuffs or having health insurance...: pbbt:
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-05-17 7:27 AM
That is easy. DoubleStuf!:laugh:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-05-09 3:43 PM
vanilla creamer?  Please turn in your man card to the front desk. thanks.
Parent - By IB Date 2018-05-09 6:01 PM
Thank you, someone had to say it.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-05-09 6:11 PM
:laugh: poor, gg, you assume I ever had a man card to turn in :laugh:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-05-09 7:35 PM
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 8:25 PM
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-05-10 12:15 PM
:laugh::cry::laugh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 8:23 PM
- - By gadget girl Date 2018-05-09 3:42 PM
1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee? yes, milk and buttermilk but never with meals.  For some reason drinking any milk with meals sickens me.   
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk?  2% and buttermilk.
3. Any other animals besides cows? lizards
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? no, but it's a big fad here.
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk? no
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic) We were at a dinner party once at a friend's house who had young kids.  He asked if I wanted a cappuccino after dinner and I said yes.  I didn't see the drink being made, but my husband later told me with glee that this "friend" took a half drunk bottle of milk that his kid hadn't finished from the fridge, dumped it into the machine to froth and then served me my kid spit/old milk/cappuccino drink with a smile.  Of course, my husband watched me drink the whole thing before telling me. He is a monster. 
Parent - By IB Date 2018-05-09 5:59 PM

>He is a monster.

:shocker!: :laugh:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-09 8:36 PM
Yay buttermilk...that's awesome! :cool:

I'll have to try lizard milk, maybe raw fresh from the tap. :laugh:

You bring up an interesting point about drinking milk with meals. Of course, as an additive to cereal etc. it's necessary but I get how it sickens you as a drink with meals. It's too um gunky or something. :wtf: I drink ice water (or beer or wine) with meals almost exclusively...even sugared sodas don't cleanse the palate between bites although I'll occasionally have a soda or sweetened iced tea with a meal. But milk is too heavy and gunky for me alongside any meal...is that what you're talking about?
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-05-10 1:19 PM
yes, for sure. 

Water and wine are the only suitable beverages with dinner.  :cool:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-10 5:29 PM
:cool: and beer
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-09 11:24 PM
:shocker!: you're still friends with this person? And still married??: pbbt:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-05-10 12:19 PM
:laugh::laugh::hug:

I just attended the Bnot Mitzvah ceremony for the daughters of these people this past weekend!  (these girls were still breastfeeding at age 5, which was when the sippy cup cappuccino incident took place :shocker!:

My husband and I will also be celebrating 20 years of marriage in June.
Luckily for everybody, I don't hold a grudge.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-10 12:45 PM
Are you sure you didn't have breast milk foam?
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-05-10 1:18 PM
I'm pretty sure it was cow milk, I can't imagine she was pumping for 5 year olds  :cry::cry:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-05-10 10:32 PM
:laugh: although it was California...  :cry:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-05-10 3:36 PM
My Mom used to drink buttermilk. I hate the taste BUT I use it in a lot of stuff so I ALWAYS have some on hand.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-10 5:38 PM
It's great for pancakes, biscuits, pizza dough, homemade ranch salad dressing, cucumber soup, batter or breading for fish/chicken, and other things I'm forgetting or haven't tried.

I do enjoy drinking it straight, which I got from my grandpa. Like him, I sprinkle a pinch of salt (he always used salt cellars) on the top before that first beautiful swig.
- - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-05-11 6:44 AM
Growing up, I always felt that PA was the dairy epicenter of the US because just about every farm in the area where I lived was a dairy farm.  Later, a few of them converted over to pig farming and now all in that area are pretty much Amish farms.  A lot of the old school farmers hate the Amish as each farm or Amish home is considered a church (since they take turns holding Sunday service in different homes) and all the money they make goes back into the “church”, which is tax exempt.  So how can a conventional farmer compete with that?  Along with that, since they don’t pay taxes, nothing goes back for road maintenance (their horses tear up the roads) and schools.  OK, rant over.

1.   I use animal milk on my cereal and coffee.  Sometimes soy milk if we are out of cow’s milk
2.  Skim
3.  Not really
4.  We used to drive to our neighbor’s farm and buy raw milk.  It was self serve.  Just dip your glass jug into the milk tank and leave a dollar for a half gallon (or two for a gallon).  That was in the early 70s and didn’t last long
5.  Only Soy on occasion.  Maybe we (I mean our family) should switch to soy milk to help out the soy growers (although we’d be helping Monsanto, too) since China may be buying less soy from us in the future.
6.  Kind of gross story about a friend (he was a bit weird).  He ran cross country in HS and he also went to a local college where I went (he only went there for 2 years).  He lived on a dairy farm with his parents.  One summer day while in college, he went out running and came back and filled an empty milk tank (these are maybe 50 or even 100 gallon?) with cold water and took got in the tank to cool off.  I told him he probably should never admit to that as farms get inspected fairy regularly and they could lose their certification on something like that.  A better story is that these tanks tend to be used in breweries as fermentation tanks.  They don’t look that great, but they are a much cheaper alternative for breweries looking to get to the next level (volume wise)
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-14 7:54 PM
Whoa nice rant about dairy, Amish, pigs and taxes! :shocker!::laugh::wink: And nice answers including the interesting story about the milk tank. Growing up and beyond, my parents got a stainless steel milk tank to hold water from our well since the flow was so low, but we never took a dip in our water supply.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-05-14 9:05 AM
1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee? NO
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk? N/A
3. Any other animals besides cows? NO
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? NO
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk?  YES

I don't drink cow milk for ethical reasons.  I don't believe impregnating cows for "our" convenience is humane, not to mention the calves being taken away from the mothers shortly after birth.
A dairy cow having 4 calves in 4 years will likely have two males .....turned into food.....and two females....one will be food and the other raised to do the same thing as mom.  It seems very cruel
to supply us with something we don't need.  We are the only species that drink the milk of another animal.
Having said all of that....I ate/drank milk products for most of my life.  Only recently it was like a switch turned on and I became aware of the shit we do to these lovely creatures.  :hug:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-14 8:11 PM
:hug: I totally get that. I'm an omnivore who ignores the torture and cruelty that goes with eating meats including veal as well as the lesser? cruelty of dairy and that's my choice. But I've got a vegan niece and SIL and former colleague and totally understand and respect their choices. :cool:

That's the first I've heard about humans being the only species that drinks the milk of another animal. Not surprising since we are the lords and masters of the universe. :wink: Seriously, I think there are anecdotal stories about orphaned animal babies sucking on the teats of adopting moms of other species. Not the norm and definitely not on the scale of humans, but not surprising that it happens.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-05-15 10:03 AM
:hug:
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-05-15 5:09 PM
Your position is a fine one. I have not been able to make the leap to vegan because of my cheese hold out. (I could give up milk & eggs but have not yet.) Perhaps some day....
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-05-16 10:37 AM
Can't give up cheese, either.  Can't do that awful fake cheese.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-05-16 11:06 AM
Nutritional yeast works for pasta and shit like that but if you're into fine tasty cheeses I get the difficulty in giving them up. :hug:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-15 8:55 AM
Having just driven the entire country (except for the 33 states we didn't hit including WI), I can say that CA had the most cows of any state, except for maybe Texas, but the Texas cows were food cows, not dairy cows. That said, I saw more dairy farms in upstate NY than anywhere else. :wtf:

1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee? I drink milk straight, on cereal, and in my smoothies and recipes.
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk? Usually 1% but if I'm at work I'll snag the half and half for my cereal. I rarely drink coffee anymore, but when I do, I go full cream. (that's what she said)
3. Any other animals besides cows? nope
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? nope, but I would try it
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk? never. I once compared fake mile to cow milk since I thought it had more protein and less sugar, but I found cow mile to be the better choice for me.
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic) I used to drink milk with every meal when I was a kid. My bother still does. I drink milk as a snack/dessert sometimes, and as someone else mentioned chocolate milk is the best recovery drink after a long run!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-15 6:06 PM
except for the 33 states we didn't hit including WI :laugh: But yeah rural NY definitely is known for dairy.

Love your answers. :cool: We always drank milk at every meal as kids also. That's what you had for school lunches even if you packed. Kids really do need lots of milk, or suitable vegan substitutes, and I'm not sure that they're getting it nowadays. :wtf:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-05-18 10:38 PM
Good for you for driving the country! There is so much of this big beautiful country that Americans should see.
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-05-15 12:59 PM
1. Do you drink animal milk other than in coffee? Yes, in cereal, with Oreos while dunking :grin:, and sometimes choc milk when I'm losing weight
2. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole, buttermilk? 2% usually but sometimes  whole when I've been extra special god
3. Any other animals besides cows? Only if they moo.
4. Ever play russian roulette with raw milk (if available around you)? No
5. Do you drink "fake" milk like almond or cashew milk? Fake milk is like fake news--to be avoided if at all possible
6. Anything else about milk you'd like to add. (breast milk is reserved for another topic)Also good when made into cheese.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-15 5:57 PM
Yes for cheese and you're not the first to mention it! I'll start a cheese topic at some point if someone else doesn't...cheese is my kryptonite.
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-05-15 4:09 PM
Bonus question:   Are you familiar with the folklore on how to predict the weather by observing cows?  :wtf:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-15 5:55 PM
Of course. Lying down means rain is coming. Or at least that's the lore mrs. flamus and I know.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-16 8:15 AM
If they are wet it's raining? :wtf:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-05-16 9:27 AM
If the sun is shining off the cow
you can go outside now
If the cow's hide is soggy
Stay inside and feed the moggy
  :cool:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-16 4:45 PM
You made that up!:laugh:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-05-16 5:25 PM
Another bit of cow/weather folklore -- stay inside if you see the cows do this  :happy:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-05-16 7:59 PM
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-05-24 8:00 AM
Parent - By IB Date 2018-05-24 10:26 PM
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-05-16 7:30 PM
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Dairy State? And milk questions