Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sunday - May 6
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-06 6:05 AM
Did everyone survive Cinco de Mayo?

What's up for today?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-06 6:19 AM
Cindy and I went to a Mexican restaurant yesterday: Gringos and Botanas.  It changed ownership months ago but they they moved slowly to update the menu and put their mark on it. Cindy had been there recently and loved it so she wanted me to go. Since I am a fussy eater who prefers americanized Mexican food I wasn't as impressed by it as she was. I admit it was totally my fault for not liking it as much as her.  They were staffed to the max so the service was unbelievable good.  We went at 5:00 and got seated fast, but it was filling up by the time we left.

I decided to give this old man's body a rest today. It was a good week of workouts. Once on the hills, 2 gym workouts, and a long run. Couldn't ask for a better week, especially since I am not shooting for any specific goal race. I'm not signed up for anything at the moment.

Marshall University had finals last week and their school year is over. So that means church is back to one service (instead of two) and it doesn't start until 10:00. Personally I would prefer a 7:00 AM service but I would be the only one there so I adjust my life to the group.  It's just that I am up and ready to go and then I have to wait 3 hours.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-06 9:58 AM
I did not have any Mexican food yesterday.  Instead we celebrated National BBQ month by having BBQ for dinner.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-06 3:36 PM
When I think of my favorite foods-Mexican comes to mind first, followed by BBQ pork. Or is BBQ #1?? I can never decide!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-06 9:57 AM
Good morning Dave and others to follow!

Thanks for starting us out.  Well this weekend we are having First Holy Communion at our parish.  Oh, it was so nice to see the boys and girls dressed up.

We are going out with another couple for an early Mother's Day Lunch.

Hoping to get a workout later today and mow the lawn. 

Have a blessed day!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-06 11:12 AM
I am making a new dish called Taco Spaghetti tonight.  Still hanging on to Cinco de Mayo.:wink:  Interesting though that the recipe comes from a Cajun website.   We had salmon for supper last night but I did have a margarita along side.

I have just finished filling 5 pots of plants.  I drug around 80 pounds of topsoil which was a struggle but it is done.:happy:  And I spent the national debt at the grocery store so I am done for the day.  A book on the patio, maybe an ice coffee, maybe some lemonade. 

I also plan to pedal my bike around the neighborhood sightseeing and I'll get some yoga in before bedtime.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-06 2:01 PM
I hear you about the cost of groceries.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-06 3:38 PM
Taco Spaghetti sounds interesting. Let us know how you like it! Even the IDEA of going grocery shopping stresses me out these days:sad:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-06 7:44 PM
http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2018/03/cheesy-one-pot-taco-spaghetti.html

It was kind of bland actually.  Though it might be one of those things that is better the 2nd day.   I used chopped fresh tomatoes and made my own taco seasoning but otherwise followed the recipe.  I did like that you just throw the uncooked spaghetti in the pan.  Makes it really easy.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-06 1:52 PM
Really nice church service this morning, then left over C-d-M burrito for lunch, then a nap, then a 2.28 miles run.

Now I'm urging Katy on to get her research paper done.

Smoky Paprika Tilapia and wild rice for dinner tonight.

Week in review.

MO: 1.7 miles
TU: 1.7 miles
WE: rest
TH: 2.2 miles
FR: rest
SA: 2.51 miles
SU: 2.28 miles
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-06 2:24 PM
Katy is too young for research papers!

my oldest and I five years ago had the conversation if research papers would still exist in the future.  We were speculating that internet searches made them so easy they would not be required any longer.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-06 5:21 PM
At least in my mind, research papers are more about presenting ideas and facts in a clear manner than actually finding the data. There is also a need to teach how to evaluate a source for reliability, bias, etc.

Katy's paper is on the Flint MI water problems. One trouble she ran into was that there were different "state of emergency" declarations at different times. So disambiguating a reference to a particular "state of emergency" and drawing up a coherent timeline was not a trivial exercise.

Okay, end of soap box.

Mark.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-06 7:40 PM
It's a great soap box.  I agree with your points.:happy:
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-06 3:34 PM
I just barely survived yesterday! Unfortunately, it was not due to excessive partying! We finally got Alex home from the hospital around 11:00 am and immediately headed to her apartment to pack up her stuff and move her back to our house. We finally got home around 9:30 PM and were so exhausted we could hardly move. Thinking about the whole process today makes me laugh a bit. If only it had been on video! We had basically 3 cripples and one old man doing the work!!:laugh: Conor with the broken patella and still in a leg brace, me with a stiff left knee (arthritis), a sore right knee (from sort of underestimationg how high the truck was that I was riding in and falling out of the darn thing) and a swollen right arm (lymphedema) which I'm not supposed to do any heavy lifting with, Alex who still isn't supposed to lift really heavy items--and then there was Ray!! Poor Ray did so much heavy lifting by himself. Oh, and did I mention that Alex's bedroom was on the second floor and there were more stairs than I have ever seen in an apartment before-straight up! Conor and I both had to hold onto the railing to maneuver the darn things, so we were only able to use one hand which limited what we could carry! Again, poor Ray!

The great news is that Alex is doing really well. She was upset that we had to find a place for her kitty because I am very allergic, but my good friend Lyniece came to the rescue and is fostering Nebula until.....well, as long as is needed! Yeah, I was also coughing and wheezing the entire day while packing up. Sorry again-no video!!

No real exercise today for me today. Hoping to get back into the swing of things with my running/walking tomorrow.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-06 4:39 PM
Oh Pam, I am glad you survived.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-06 4:49 PM
Thank you! Apparently-I am a survivor!!:happy:
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-06 5:24 PM
I'm exhausted and sore just reading that.

I'm glad things went "well".
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-07 6:26 AM
Thanks, Mark!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-06 7:38 PM
And the "mom of the year" award goes to.......Pam!!!!
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-07 6:42 AM
:grin::grin:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-06 4:41 PM
Oh Mother Nature, please cooperate with us.  Let it rain on Wednesday or Friday, but please not on Thursday.  Please, pretty please.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sunday - May 6