Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / May the "4th" be with you, 2018
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-04 5:36 AM
Good morning!

How many Star Wars fans do we have on board?  Have you watched all of the movies?

Post away!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-05-04 6:59 AM
Melissa wore a Star Wars scarf today to school.  I didn't even know it was a Star Wars type of day until she told me.  I am not a crazy Star Wars fan.  I have seen the original movies and a couple of the others, but have not seen the last 3 movies.  I like the movies, but I Star Trek is more to my liking.  I have seen all the Star Trek movies, original series and most of the TV spin-offs.

Today is Kentucky Derby weekend around here.  Teachers dressed up in their Derby hats and dresses.  I'm in my normal attire. 

5 miles this morning.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-04 7:25 AM
5:wtf::wtf::wtf:  Are you racing in the Derby tomorrow?
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-04 8:08 AM
I've never seen a moose in the Derby : pbbt:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-04 8:23 AM
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-04 9:24 AM
But can a horse run 8 miles?
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-05-04 9:45 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-05-04 9:45 AM
Well, looks like a moose cannot outrun a cow, monkey, ape or elephant among others.  Mooses are slow.  Mooses hates the Kentucky Derby.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-04 10:29 AM
A moose once bit my sister...
No realli!
She was Karving her initials on the moose with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush given her by Svenge—her brother-in-law— an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian movies:
"The Hot Hands of an Oslo Dentist",
"Fillings of Passion",
"The Huge Molars of Horst Nordfink"
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-04 11:53 AM
Good to have you back.  We miss those.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-04 12:11 PM
Can't take credit - that is from the movie credits for Monty Python's The Holy Grail.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-04 3:07 PM
You can take credit for posting great lines.   Haven't had those for a long time,
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-04 11:51 AM
I have not seen one Star Wars movie and really don't follow the series.  And you can add Star Trek, Rambo, Lord of the Rings to that also.

The Kentucky Derby dress up sounds fun!

Normal attire?  Running gear? : pbbt:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-04 7:34 AM
I enjoyed the Star Wars movies but I can't keep track of what is going on in the larger story. I went to Wikipedia once to try and sort it out but I've forgotten what I'd learned.

I took the day off work. I went out and ran 10.25 in 1:58. Longest run since the half marathon last November. I made my goal to get to 10 miles in less than a 12:00 pace but as I was driving home from the park I was sort of depressed that my goals are so low and I have to work so hard to make them. On the other hand, I did run 10 miles and not everyone tries to do that. (I sure couldn't imagine going on for 90 more miles!)

70° and a bit humid this morning. First taste of summer running. Nice breeze and heavy clouds kept me from getting too hot.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-04 7:54 AM
Dave, I am impressed with that run.  It's not that few people run 10 miles, few people will run for 2 hours.  I personally think that as we age we should focus more on the time run, and not the distance. I'm going for a 2 hour run, not I'm going for a 10 mile run.  Although there is something to be said for speed work at any age.   This is free advice from Tom, master of the 13 min mile.:grin:
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-05-04 8:00 AM
My plan today was to try and run for 2 hours with the hopes of getting to 10 miles in the process. But time was the main focus. Even if I had to switch to all walking I was going to stay out there for 2 hours.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-04 8:22 AM
Good for you.  Winter long runs for me are at 13 minute miles.  By summer I like to go 'fast' at 12 minute ones.  :laugh:  Something to be said for low expectations.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-04 11:51 AM
10.25 miles!  That is awesome!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-04 7:44 AM
Happy Cinco de Mayo Eve Marilyn.   My run was really lame.  The night was pretty lame sleeping.  But I did score a few pairs of shorts on the run to take to the Clothing Bank. I stopped to briefly chat w/ a neighbor.  He has gone from a 42 waist to a 36 since last summer.  Eliminated sugar when diagnosed w/ diabetes.  One of the few guys who really took his docs advice seriously.

Perhaps you saw the FB post of us w Action News.  The real story was Lynda had the root canal yesterday and dentist said eat only soft food.  So I took her out for dinner for ice cream.  Action News weather man was there.  Got to chat w him later and he is a really nice guy. 

Huge to do list today.  Grass cutting is next.

Star Wars?   Not so much.  I have seen some movies and enjoy it, but I really don't get into it.

Saturday I will drive around yard sales after they close and pick up clothes for the Clothing Bank.

Tom in DE
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-04 11:53 AM
Thanks Tom!  It will be a day of celebration (again) in San Antonio.  Not that San Antonians need an excuse to party.  Fiesta just ended and the 300 tricentennial celebration started on 01 May.  So the partying continues.

Hope Lynda is feeling better after her root canal.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-04 3:08 PM
She needs more ice cream. :laugh:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-04 8:31 AM
I saw the Star Wars that came out in 1977 or 78?  I was a freshman at college.  Couldn't get into it.   Lisa, as an elementary schooler, was in love with JarJar Binks though.  She had a Halloween costume and wore it most days in 4th or 5th grade.:roll:

I had a day long pity party yesterday over the kidney stone diet.  I was to the point where I thought I'd slit my wrists if I saw another bowl of white rice or stalk of broccoli.  I even yelled at and smacked the dog a couple times so you know I was over the edge.  I ended up pulling myself together in the evening and did all kinds of research and have hooked up with an online dietician that specializes in the stuff.  I am optimistic today.

This afternoon I take Amy to the Amtrak station to hop on the California Zephyr.  I am jealous of her adventure.  She doesn't have a lot of vacation time yet so she is taking today and Monday and making a long weekend of it.  She will hop off in Nebraska to attend a girlfriend's college graduation  (I think it is where Rob's Josh and Katie live) and spend the weekend.  She is loaded up with snacks, an adult coloring book, markers, and 2 hours worth of new songs on her Ipod. :happy:  7 hours on the train; I hope she can get to the observation car.

It appears my bakers cyst burst while doing yoga so I will try out my knee on a run tomorrow.:happy::happy:
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-04 9:18 AM
Glad you got it back together. Don't take the phrase  "Dawn is breaking" too literally.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-04 10:07 AM
:laugh:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-04 9:21 AM
I'm Jealous of Amy's train ride.  But I want to ride CZ over the Rockies.  Still should be nice.

I think you are smart looking at other diets.  Are KS a regular thing or more or less one time events?

Did the cyst burst all over the yoga mat?
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-04 10:11 AM
In my case kidney stones were formed by an out of whack parathyroid gland.  I had the parathyroid removed and I shouldn't form any new stones.   I had the largest stone removed but there are 3 that remain.    They are small enough to pass without discomfort.  The diet is so that I can keep them small.

my yoga mat is nice and clean thank you.:grin:
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-04 10:32 AM
"They are small enough to pass without discomfort."

I'm always suspicious when a doctor tells me things like that.

My immediate response is "Sure, it won't hurt YOU a bit, but what about me?"

Mark.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-04 11:55 AM
Oh Amy's adventure sounds like fun!  You are lucky to have railroad transportation in that area.

The kidney stone diet is new to me.  I hope it works.

Be careful with your knee tomorrow.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-04 8:54 AM
I stretched out yesterday's planned 1.7 to 2.2. It felt good. But my hip is not happy today :)

Rest day today. Though, I will get out for a walk this evening and try to get in my usual lunch walk at work.

I've seen all the Star Wars movies. But I find May the Fourth to be bit too cute.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-05-04 9:23 AM
Good news on the extra mileage.  You will be up there in no time.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-04 10:33 AM
"Up there" might mean traction :) I'm hobbling today like an old man.

Oh, wait ...

Mark.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-04 11:56 AM
Hope the hip is feeling better today.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2018-05-04 8:44 PM
Huge SW fan here. But tonight I got to pin Molly at her nursing school ceremony. She’s officially graduated and takes her certification exam in a few weeks. She’ll be a third generation nurse. :hug:

I’m fitting in some last minute assignments in between visiting my daughters and grands. Tomorrow is Maci’s 3rd birthday. I have no idea how she is 3 already :cry:

:grin:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-05-05 5:19 AM
Congratulations to Molly!  Happy Birthday to Maci!

Lots of celebrating Dottie - Enjoy!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-05-05 5:54 AM
Aww....celebrations and time with your girls.  Enjoy!!
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-05-05 8:10 AM
Happy everything :)
Up Topic Communities / Masters / May the "4th" be with you, 2018