Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / National Honesty Day, 30 Apr 2018
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 6:00 AM
Today is National Honesty Day. 

According to Wikipedia "Honesty Day is celebrated on April 30 in the United States to encourage honesty and straightforward communication in politics, relationships, consumer relations and historical education.It was invented by M. Hirsh Goldberg, who chose the last day of April for two reasons. First, since the first day of that month, which is April Fools' Day, celebrates falsehoods. Second, it is the anniversary of the First inauguration of George Washington on April 30, 1789."

Have you told any lies lately?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-04-30 6:29 AM
Sounds like an interesting day but I don't think it will catch on as much as April Fools Day.

QotD: I don't recall.

Ran 4.12 this morning and added some hills. 3 times up a gravel hill that isn't too bad, then I threw in one really steep grassy hill.  I'm going to try a couple places at the park and figure out what I want to do.

I decided it was time to quit plodding along in every workout, doing just enough to get by. I'd like to get my 5k time down to a sub 8:00 per mile pace so that means I need a little more intensity now and then. This shouldn't be that hard of a goal. I'll do some hills and/or intervals once or twice a week to start getting my legs used to moving quicker.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-04-30 7:06 AM
I forgot to say that it was 33° this morning.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-30 8:06 AM
Ran 4.12 this morning and added some hills  Do they have hills in WV???:laugh:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 3:12 PM
Wait are you telling me that Dave may have not told the whole truth today? : pbbt:: pbbt::roll:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-04-30 12:17 PM
I hate hills! Good for you for setting a new goal for yourself!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 3:13 PM
I know you will get your 5k time -- you are always a committed individual.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-30 8:29 AM
Honestly, it was a short run.  Lynda has a toothache and was awaiting a call back from dentist, so I shortened it.  It sorta felt like that's all that was in the tank.  Still dealing with wind chill though it should warm up later today.  It will be near 90 later this week.   Call back...Dentist can do 8:15 tomorrow. 

Our Friday date night in Philly was so good.  I think we both needed that.  Philly Pops Rocks.  A full 65 piece orchestra and an amazing 150 voice choir back up in one of the best concert halls in America.   They opened with Rocky theme which is HUGE in Philly.  Bohemian Rhapsody, Satisfaction, Hey Jude, an incredible rendition of Stairway to Heaven, We Will Rock You and a whole lot more.  They had a most entertaining lead singer.  It was just about perfect.

Had Lime Cilantro gelato in Philly.  It was most interesting combo. 

Honesty Day....Delaware Income Tax is due today.  Filed last night.  Thought surely I'd owe.   Small refund.   I think I was honest.:wtf:

Tom in DE
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 3:15 PM
I hope Lynda is felling better.   I hate toothaches; had so many when I was young.

Your night in Philly sounds very entertaining and fun!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-04-30 9:08 AM
Not sure if Rob will check in but I thought I'd pass on that he kicked serious arse at the C&O 100 this weekend. He and his friend came in 17&18th and were under 24 hours. In pics after the race he looked fresh as a daisy and not at all like he'd just run 100 miles through the night.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-30 10:13 AM
Thanks Jen,  that's awesome news.   No wonder he hasn't posted.  All his time is training.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-30 10:15 AM
:cool::cool:

Thanks Jen!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 3:15 PM
Hi Jen!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-30 10:58 AM
QotD - probably more than I realize.:roll::laugh:

I had the kitty room today at Happy Tails.  16 newborns and 3 mama's.  PSA-Please Spay and Neuter your pets.

something wonky going on behind my right knee.  Pain even when I walk.  Probably too much gardening.  I will probably need to skip the time trial tomorrow.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-04-30 1:59 PM
Hope your knee pain is gone very soon. I twisted my ankle into a weird position yesterday when I was walking Stella around the yard and I was limping last night. Thankfully, my ankle was much better today and only bothers me when I turn it a certain way. I think I would have REALLY had a meltdown today if I wasn't able to get out for my walk!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 3:16 PM
Oh no, I hope the knee starts feeling better.  It could be due to the gardening.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 11:00 AM
I told a lie the other day.  One of my pew friends gave me a CD to listen to and on Friday he asked if I had listened to it.  I lied and said yes.  I just couldn't bear to till him that I hadn't.  And he was ready to give me another gift!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-30 1:04 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 3:16 PM
His niece is Holly Tucker and she was on the voice back in 2013, I think.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-04-30 12:06 PM
Good afternoon! So, about that QOTD-I almost posted here this morning that I had lied to a friend earlier when I said I was fine when asked how I am doing. I now realize that it wasn't a lie-I AM FINE.......

I know that I always seem to have so much negative @rap going on in my life and I wasn't going to mention the latest but changed my mind because I could use some good thoughts and prayers from my running buddies for my sweet Alex. I won't go into all of the details, but after all of the physical issues she's been dealing with over the last many weeks, she is now dealing with some severe anxiety/depression problems. I keep trying to remind her AND myself that money can't buy happiness, but darn it--when your girl stresses herself into the hospital because she doesn't want to stress her parents out over HER financial situation which was brought on by physical issues that were beyond her control.....and you feel so darn helpless......Well, most of you know the pain that comes with watching our kids go through tough situations and not being able to fix things for them. Please just keep her in your prayers.....she is feeling like a failure at 23. Okay, sorry.....just having a tough time with this one.

Anyway, I went for a 1.25-mile walk on this beautiful sunny day and I am in a better place emotionally. I WAS wishing that I had perfected the old "snot rocket" thing while I was out there running and crying.....:roll:

PLEASE don't take this as a "poor me I need sympathy" post.....just a "please keep Alex in your thoughts and prayers" request. I can take anything life throws at ME, but my kids.....that's another story. Sorry again for the rambling post.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-30 12:34 PM
WOW Pam.   Hear you about kids.   I wish I had some great words of wisdom, but all I can do is say that i will carry a prayer in my heart.:hug:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-04-30 12:49 PM
Thanks, Tom:hug:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-30 1:03 PM
Amy and Alex could be twins.  Amy has been over the top with anxiety issues the past several months.  She saw a counselor when she was at college but now that she is out she hasn't found a new one that she clicks with. 

There are a lot of good ideas out there for coping.  Amy has been helped by the prayers of a lot of good people and by setting up a calming routine.  Stuff like scented candles (cinnamon or lavender are good) chamomile tea, yoga, getting outside for a change of scenery, a calming playlist of music, calling friends.   She has a certain order to it and usually she is calmed by the time she gets to the 3rd or 4th suggestion on her list.   Another thing that sometimes works is a real upbeat playlist.  Sometimes anxiety comes from having so much energy.  You just need to sing and dance it off.  That might be good for Alex since she has previously been so active until her health forced her to sit around.

sending you and Alex good wishes and plenty of prayers.:hug:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-04-30 1:56 PM
Thank you for sharing some of Amy's coping strategies. Alex also had a counselor at college but like Amy, she also hasn't found anyone since graduating. I think it has been especially hard for Alex being alone so much since her surgery. She was with us for a few days but went back to her apartment because she needed to get back to work. She didn't get to work much because of the set-back in her healing, so she just ended up sitting around her apartment alone most of the time because her roommate is always at her boyfriend's place. Thank you for the prayers. Praying for Amy also.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 3:17 PM
Oh Pam, I totally empathize with you.  Don't touch my son or husband, or the claws come out.  I will add Alex to my prayer list.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-05-01 5:51 AM
Thank you!:hug:
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-04-30 12:40 PM
I ran 8 miles this morning, no lie.  There was a bright moon.

It was an absolutely beautiful weekend.  I ran 12 trail miles Saturday morning.  Cut the grass after that.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-30 1:04 PM
:happy:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-30 2:08 PM
That was a terrific report until i read cut the grass after that.   Any update on neck bump virus?
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 3:18 PM
Once I see that you have done 8 miles, then I know all is right with the world.

How is Melissa?
Parent - By rungear [us] Date 2018-04-30 4:55 PM
way to go mega runner! :wink:
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-04-30 6:14 PM
1.7 miles this evening. a bit blustery.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-30 6:31 PM
:cool:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-30 7:22 PM
Ok, I have done my workout video, plank and pushups.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / National Honesty Day, 30 Apr 2018