Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Trail and Ultra Running / New to trail running
- - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-21 11:59 AM
I'm new to running trails, but it looks like everyone here is really serious and ultra long distance. I am 2 years post breast cancer and 6 months out from final surgery and cleared to run and find a normal life again. Before all this craziness I was running half marathons and 10 milers, etc on the road. I was walking the local trails during my recovery because I wasn't allowed to run. I'm to looking to find shoes that would be good for on and off road, as I am transitioning to running trails (I am not the most graceful person) and the trails I run on are baby trails. :laugh: I went to my local running store and he had one pair of trail shoes (cascadia) and no valuable, actually no information at all! Not my favorite store anyway, but it was close.

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-25 12:01 PM
Nobody really around this forum anymore. I am lucky in that our local running store specializes in trail shoes (lots of trails here in my part of PA) and has dozens of different shoes. Cascadias are pretty popular which is likely why your store had that pair in stock. If your trails are not too technical (meaning rooty or rocky) your road shoes may work just fine. If you want shoes that work well on roads and trails that's sort of tricky. You'd want to find a pair that does not have aggressive lugs on the bottom of the shoe. As for a shoe that works for you, maybe check the web site for the brand of shoes you were on the road to see if/what they offer for trail shoes. That's a good place to start. Typically trail shoes main features are durability, traction, drainage, and protection (sole, toe). So those are the things to look for in a trail shoe, but it is dependent on the sort of trails you will running.

BTW, I ran in the Cascadia's for a number of years, and found that to be a pretty good trail shoe.
Up Topic Training / Trail and Ultra Running / New to trail running