Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / It's Saturday! 4/21
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-04-21 5:04 AM
Oh happy day.

What's up?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-04-21 5:09 AM
I leave for my 5k in about an hour, and then I'll wait around another hour for the race.  But at least I will have a good parking space. :roll:

I had to work last weekend so it feels like forever since I had a day off. I do have to do one quick thing for work this morning but I'll be done in 10 minutes.

My thermometer says 36° so unless it warms up by 9:00, this race will be colder than the Winter Series I ran in.

12/17/2017 - 44°
1/21/2018 - 59°
2/18/2018 - 48°

4/21/2018 - ??

But no matter what the temperature is outside, I am wearing shorts this morning.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-04-21 7:47 AM
Sun came up and so did the temperature. 45° I stripped off one of my two outer layers and by the first mile I was wishing I wore a short sleeve shirt.

Finished in 25:55. Felt mostly good but near the end I was in the usual 5k pain. But that's why I like this distance.

Small race. Not sure of my place. Saw a few old guys in front of me. Which ticks me off. :roll:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-21 12:05 PM
:laugh::laugh:I guess I should have read all the posts before I posted!!

Congrats!!! Great time!!

I always wear a short sleeve under everything else, just in case. I would love to run that pace again!!  Saw a few old guys in front of me. Which ticks me off. :roll: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Way to go Dave!!!!
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-21 1:48 PM
That's still a great pace.  Nice going.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-21 6:12 AM
HI Dave, Have a GREAT run!!   41 degrees is the cut off for shorts; be prepared for blue-tinged legs.

I plan to run the Naff5k today; my own route up the bikepath beginning at my front door.  It is a pretty significant uphill route.

I'm embarking upon a new kidney-friendly diet.  90 oz of fluid per day :shocker!: is recommended.  And these are some of my favorites on the do not eat list: chocolate, nuts, berries, beets, sweet potatoes, and spinach.  No tea(black or green) or cola.  But I am encouraged to drink unlimited amounts of Crystal Light. :wtf:  It contains some chemical that inhibits stone formation.  I guess that outweighs the artificial sweeteners.  Oh, and a limit of 4oz of protein per day.    This is going to be interesting....
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-21 12:11 PM
Or red tinged legs!! When I was watching the Boston marathon some of the runners legs were beet red!! I usually won't wear shorts if it's blow 45° I am a wuss!!!

I read the Naff5k and thought a race was named after you. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That diet sounds a lot like how I eat, except the Crystal Light. I don't eat anything with chemicals anymore. I do drink green tea like it's going out of existence and eat berries and sweet potatoes and spinach (mostly kale)! I start my day drinking 40 oz of water and usually end up around 70-90 ounces. When I get close to 90 I'm up a lot at night. :roll: Good luck!!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-21 1:12 PM
I'm swapping kale for my spinach.  I eat spinach nearly every day.  Or, I used to I guess.

I also drink a lot of yogi tea - black tea steeped with ginger, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and peppercorns.  I'm going to miss that.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-21 1:14 PM
Have you tried the herbal yogi teas? Can you have herbal tea? There is one I love called calm. I love kale and chard.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-21 1:53 PM
90oz = 11 cups of coffee, 8 beers  or a 6 pack and 2 cups of coffee.:wtf::wtf::shocker!::laugh:   I recall bacon was on the ok to eat list: pbbt:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-21 12:02 PM
Hi Dave!! Good luck today!!!

No running today. My hip is screaming at me so I decided to rest and ice. I did work in the garden a bit. It feels nice out (of course)!!

Not much else going on.

Have a great Saturday masters!!!
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-21 2:02 PM
Ran short but did it as fast as I could.  Huff and puffed a good bit.  O2 for my brain. 

Funeral for the mom of a good friend.  It was good.  Funeral lunch then headed over to the hospital.  They moved Shirley from intermediate ICU to critical care.  She looks much better today and was sitting up in a chair.  I was blown away by her appearance after 2 units of blood.  So much better.  Thank you blood donors.  I wish I could still do that.

Warming up a tad.  But i need a nap.

Tom in DE
Up Topic Communities / Masters / It's Saturday! 4/21