Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday 4/18
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-18 5:39 AM
RIP Barbara Bush.   I've read she was known as America's Grandmother.

Post one thing that reminds you of your grandmother.

And, of course, talk about your day.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-18 5:44 AM
Oatmeal raisin cookies and the big Tupperware container they were in.   And for some reason that container was always on the ironing board in her sewing room. ????

Awaiting the last snow storm of this season.  We are in the path of heavy snow, sleet, large hail, thunder.  All the ingredients that make Illinois famous.

I'm going to run Misha to the park right now before it hits.  We had a small group run last night.  Kind of disappointing as it was perfect weather; 48, sunny 4mph wind.  Misha and I walked 2 miles of the course and she only stuck her nose in a couple inappropriate places.  Well, she rolled in something dead too but that's beside the point.

Arms, abs, yoga(balance work) today.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-18 6:48 AM
I remember my grandmother who had this big dog who was so lovable but had a busy nose and would poke you with her nose. I loved going for dog walks with grandma.   And I remember getting on the floor and doing exercises with grandma.  Then we would have something good to eat.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-18 6:49 AM
Maybe you will have a snownado.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-18 7:08 AM
Good morning Dawn and Masters.  Not running at dawn since it's too cold and I can wait.  Will go out shortly.  Yesterday was way too full.  I don't need more days like that.  Hopefully I can breathe a little during the run.  I am becoming more aware of vascular dementia caused by reduced blow flow to brain.  Somewhat of a slow motion stroke.  I just hope that some running keeps blood flowing to my brain. 

Grandma...Maternal grandma died early in my life, paternal didn't create many memories but her house along the Potomac did.  It was built in 1852 and was the sight of a civil war encampment and skirmish. A slaves "cottage" smokehouse and springhouse.  Lots of amazing stories.  Plenty of ghost stories.  400 acres of farm.  Alas it got too much to maintain.  She sold it when I was 12.  :cry::cry::cry:

Did you notice that I crashed the IRS computer yesterday?   I sent too much money for them to handle at one time. :cry:

Off to the races...or training for races. 

Tom in DE
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-18 8:38 AM
Do you ever run trails? I was reading how it supposed to increase your oxygen.

That house sounds amazing!!

"I sent too much money for them to handle at one time. :cry:" :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:06 AM
I used to really enjoy trail running but now I must limit myself to well worn smooth trails with no roots or stones.  Not quite the same.  But I agree getting more bang for the mile on trails.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:15 AM
Those are the trails I stick to beginner, easy terrain. When I see roots and rocks I walk. When I was going through chemo I was feeling really good and tried running a rough trail and splat!! So anymore I am super careful. Chemo always made me feel off balance and drunk for days and days. I still have balance issues they say is side effects. Guess that junk stays in your system awhile and creates long lasting side effects. :mutmad::mutmad:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:14 AM
Run dun.  Not what I really hoped for.  It was cold and I'm sorry I didn't have gloves.  But out of the wind it was much more pleasant. I ran in a "new" pair of shoes.  They have been in the box in my closet for 10 years.:shocker!:  I got 2 pairs of trail shoes in 2008 training for JFK.   I only used one and the other pair sat there.  They are really stiff!!!  Although I have been wearing them walking.   Jury is still out if I will continue to run in them.  Maybe I will get some inserts to renew the dead gel cushion.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:26 AM
What a great grandmother memory.  I would love to tour that house on the Potomac.  I really love old houses and the ghosts that go with them.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-18 8:31 AM
Good morning all!

Thanks for the start Dawn.  I have done my workout video, plank and pushups.  Need to start gathering my materials and clothing for the retreat. 

QOTD - baking and the wildflowers of Texas.  I didn't know my maternal grandmother as she died when my Mom was 9 months old.  We grew up with our paternal grandparents.  They were the most loving, comforting individuals. 

Ok -- off I go!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:26 AM
Wildflowers.:hug:
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-18 8:34 AM
Crochet! She would sit and talk and watch tv never looking at her piece ... always crocheting never missed a stitch. That always amazed me. And the last visit at our house. She was sharing some recipes with me, she looks down the hall and closes the door. (ok wassup grandma) she reached in her bag and pulled out a bottle offer roses whiskey (why I remember the brand?) puts her finger to her lips "don't tell your mother." I saw a side of her I never knew. She died 2 weeks after that.

Ok I am officially sick of cold weather!! :cry::cry::cry: I want to wear my shorts and tank tops and sweat and not look at the temperature to see how many layers to put on. I want to see the flowers. I want to not freeze during my entire run!!! Meh. Ran to the cemetery and down a few paths, but I was cold so I headed back home.

Have a fun day masters!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:03 AM
I hear you on sick and tired.   It looks like it should be so nice, but that blasted wind is cold.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:17 AM
The wind is killer! It was 40 something but real feel was 34 :shocker!: : pbbt:: pbbt:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:30 AM
My FB "on this day" showed me a post 5k picture.  Shorts, short sleeves, sunglasses.  Oh my goodness.   Today I have on my warmest running tights with a baggier pair of 'looses' over them.  A long sleeve shirt and a polar fleece over that.  And I am in the house.:mutmad::mutmad:   Summer is going to end up only being 2 weeks long at this rate.

Do you crochet?  I love to but I don't like the look of afghans and such all over my house.  I think the last thing I made was a baby blanket when I was a brand new mom.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-18 12:35 PM
Oh yes FB has done that to me too... I just went outside and it feels nicer out. Guess I should have waited. :shocker!:

I use to crochet. I haven't crocheted anything years. I don't have the patience for an afghan though. Never have. That's all my grandmother did. I have a couple she made that she handed down to my sister, when she died I inherited them. Not crazy about the colors :blush: I like crochet with thread. I think I've made one afghan. One year I made ornaments for the tree. I have a few doilies, but not the frilly kind very basic no fanfare ones.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:22 AM Edited 2018-04-18 9:28 AM
I'm working on 2 stressful software installs today (and then another one tonight.) Got to remember to breathe. All I can think about is quitting.

I did a short run this morning. 2.55 miles.  37° but no snow.

Then it was off to the office. First came the slow 8 miles of construction, and then came the I-64 parking lot. I checked my phone and it said there was a multi-car accident 4-5 miles ahead. I was near an exit so I took it, turned around, and came home to work. I don't know why I bother making the trip. It is a frustrating drive, most people I work with are working from home or in other cities, it's always too warm, too noisy, and too many drop-by interruptions.  Not to mention going out for lunch and eating crap food.

Last night was interesting. Special condo association meeting to address the roofs that are wearing out faster than expected. 30 years roofs are failing after 15-18 years. There are 19 buildings with 4 condos each and then the clubhouse. The cost to fix them all is $433,000.  (And that will go up as material and labor costs rise. We need to hope for fewer hurricanes these next couple years as they tend to raise material costs.)  We ended up agreeing on a $50 a month assessment added to the dues over 42 months. Some of use would have liked to take care of things sooner but we have a lot of elderly people on fixed incomes and they wouldn't/couldn't go higher. 

Sitting in a room with 50+ old folks is a trip. I'd like to make fun of them, but I will be one of them sooner rather than later, so I better zip it.  A roofing guy was there explaining everything and it's like people weren't listening because they would ask questions that were just answered.  Multiple people repeating each other. Maybe they can't hear what is said? Beats me. I was sitting there thinking how I could blow the whole room full away in a 5k. :roll: :laugh:

Roofing guy said the shingles were (originally) fine, but the condos were not built with the proper roof venting. This causes the roofs to get hot and the granules to fall off too fast, exposing the asphalt shingles. When he does the new roofs he will redo the venting.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:27 AM Edited 2018-04-18 9:30 AM
As to the question. My mother was the 9th of 10 kids so her parents were very old by the time I was very old. I have memories of listening to the Buffalo Bills games on the radio with my maternal grandfather when we would visit him on Sundays, but I don't know if those memories are real or not.

My father's parents were a bit strange. They watched bowling and Lawrance Welk on TV.  And my grandmother would call my dad in the middle of the night saying that my grandfather was trying to kill her and he would have to drive over there.  When we cleaned out their house, the basement was filled with old newspapers and liquor bottles.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:36 AM
Wow, you have an entertaining family!!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-18 12:38 PM
My parents watch bowling and Lawrence Welk too.

When we cleaned out their house, the basement was filled with old newspapers and liquor bottles. this just made me laugh out loud!!! Poor grandma!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-18 9:35 AM
The thing that gets me about roofing is that you don't really know that they put on what you ordered.  I mean, who has ever gone up on their roof and inspected the work?  The roofing job prior to last summer's was a doozy.  We purchased 20 yr shingles that were at the upper end of the average price point.  When we had it re done last year the current roofer told us there were 4 or 5 different brands of shingles up there.  Different warranties, different manufacturers.  And all were in the 10 yr lifetime category.  :mutmad::mutmad:

This time I inspected every single bundle before it was loaded on the roof and I took pictures of all of it.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-18 10:27 AM
We are going through a similar thing in our association.   30 year roof is gone in 20.  Builder is long gone.  And don't even get started about the streets.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-04-18 11:01 AM
A dozen area schools dismissing early due to our April blizzard.:shocker!::cry:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-04-18 11:05 AM
:shocker!::shocker!::sad:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-04-18 12:39 PM
What?!? Really? :shocker!::shocker!: You keep that there!! Don't be sending that muck here!!! I heard rain for tomorrow...I hope it isn't snow :cry::cry::cry:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-04-18 1:13 PM
Next week.  A dozen area schools closed early due to April heatwave.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday 4/18