Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Marathon MONDAILY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 7:15 AM
Happy Patriots Day and good luck to those running the marathon today! Looks like foul weather so share a rainy race story if you are so inclined (sorry, CJ... I know you just had one but hey you did great!).
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 7:18 AM
About 11 miles yesterday for me down at Fair Hill Preserve (MD) with some of the dawgs and the Lady. Nice route, kept in the woods on twisty single track for most of the route to stay out of the wind. 40 with light rain and wind. Saturday was mid 80's. A bit different. Not sure of plans today. Perhaps a short run this evening on the local trail with the Lady, or a day off.

Rainy run.. Probably my first MMT100. Nasty spring drenching t-storms with wind and lightening hit not once but twice, around mile 35, and again around mile 55. Each time I had just left an aid station with a dry shirt. Rain seemed to lessen but continued well into the night. I don't actually remember it stopping but it did. Then it was breezy and chilly to finish. I remember when the violent part of the second storm passed I was climbing this steep trail back up the mountain along a gushing stream and a world of green. The rain was still coming down but it did not matter as the scene was so surreal and calming in a way, and my focus was just to keep on moving.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 8:04 AM
I think my friend Charlie ran it that year and I remember him describing going up a climb with the water bottle in his teeth because he needed both hand to climb :laugh: Like you, I find the nasty weather can bring focus.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 1:23 PM
I bet he was going up Bird Knob. That's the steepest climb, and one where you use your hands often. I was already down from there when the second storm hit. That was the worst of the two that day.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 2:10 PM
Sounds like it!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 9:04 AM
You ran 100 miles in thunderstorms? That's nuts! :shocker!:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 1:21 PM
Not quite. It was hot and humid for the first 40 miles! Actually running in a thunderstorm in thick woods is only scary at first. Typically once the wall cloud passes the wind lessens and the lightning does as well. Then the woods becomes sort of magical. Especially in the spring. A lot of time for weather to change in a 100 mile race.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 10:37 AM
Glad you are running a nice distance again!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 11:50 AM
Good run yesterday!! :grin::grin:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:33 PM
:cool:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-16 5:32 PM
That sounds like a race to remember. Glad you were able to make to the finish. That's an unimaginable accomplishment.
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-04-16 8:02 PM
Easy 6 miles in the rain with two coworkers after watching Boston. What a race!!!!
Parent - - By jwd1113 Date 2018-04-16 8:42 PM
BQ -6:00 

the streak remains alive

:grin:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-17 7:45 AM
:cool: Congrats!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-17 7:51 AM
:happy::cool: awesome!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-17 9:39 AM
nice!!!!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-04-17 9:51 AM
Great job Wally!
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-04-17 11:45 AM
how many is that now?  all in a row?
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-16 7:43 AM
I have run a couple of rainy Half's. I ran Hospital Hill one year when rained from from before the much delayed start to the finish. At least it was a warm rain. I also did it the next year. I don't remember rain in the forecast but I got soaked about 2/3 of the way through.

I ran Rock the Parkway on Saturday  last  week. I was reasonably well trained but I was very tired on race day. I was satisfied with my time which was 1:58 but it was a lot more difficult race than it needed to be.

I also wore shorts and short sleeves with no gloves and about froze my behind off before during and after the race. :roll:

Next time I know I need to back off sooner and rest more the week before and of course bring a spare long sleeve shirt and gloves. I did a short run on Sunday but was so tired and cranky, i almost cried over something stupid. I have weights tonight, but I will take it easy and incorporate more rest into this week.

Why is resting so difficult sometimes? I should know these things. :cry:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 8:09 AM
:laugh::hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 9:06 AM
Nice job on your half! :grin: Crying over stupid things definitely sounds like you need some rest. :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 10:39 AM
If my hands are cold, life is awful for me, so I feel your pain.  Sorry it was not a great experience.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 11:50 AM
Good job on your half!! :cool:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 1:17 PM
Congrats on the race... you did well if you were feeling off. Take some extra recovery this week.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:32 PM
Pretty crappy weather for Rock the Parkway. Just like every other local race this spring. :roll:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 7:58 AM
RTB 2004 was a doozy. We ran that in the remnants of Hurricane Ivan. :cry: I did the Devilman sprint triathlon 2 years ago in cold rain too. That was miserable. My feet and hands were frozen on the swim, and I hyperventilated for the entire swim since my body was so shocked from the cold. My feet and hands continued to freeze on the bike, and in T2 I could barely get my running shoes tied because my fingers were frozen. A nice woman who had already finished gave me some encouragement, asking if my feet were frozen and telling me they would thaw out on the run. I was so cold and out of it I couldn't even speak, but that encouragement kept me going. That woman was right, my feet thawed out 3 miles into the 4 mile run. I was never so happy to finish a race! DH told me that the woman who had parked next to us when we first got to the race never got out of her car and ended up leaving before the race even started, so I felt kinda hardcore for finishing that race on that day.

No run today, there is a monsoon outside that hasn't let up since it started at like 3am. :shocker!: After work DH and I are going to the city for a concert so no workout then either. We are seeing Ryan Bingham, he is a country-folk artist that DH and I have seen many times, and we played one of his songs for our wedding song. :hug: Hopefully the rain will let up by then!

I have locked myself in a huddle room at work, streaming Boston while I try to get some work done.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 8:14 AM
Oh wow! That sounds really tough!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 10:40 AM
I can't stream at work, but I am able to track people.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 11:28 AM
Have fun at the concert!! :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:42 PM
A cold swim would be the worst!

I hope ypu get nice weather for your concert.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 1:16 PM
I did the stream thing today too.... very exciting finishes!

I remember all the hurricane posts from RTB that year.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:30 PM
Being able to stream Boston is another advantage of working from home. :grin:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 8:02 AM
Ran 6 yesterday..maybe 5 or 6 after work today. Legs are feeling pretty good and I think some good sleeps are helping recovery.

Today's weather at Boston reminds me of a couple of years ago when I ran it. Similar conditions. Cold rain and running into a headwind. I remember feeling very glad my hotel was close to the finish and I could just walk there and hop in a warm shower!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-16 9:03 AM
A well earned warm shower if there ever was one!:hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 9:07 AM
Sounds like you are recovering well! :grin:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 10:41 AM
Glad you are recovering well!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 11:09 AM
:grin: Glad your legs are feeling good!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 2:11 PM
Since it's still pouring, I am going to amend my workout to going home and curling up with a book and kitties.
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-04-16 5:39 PM
I think you have done enough running in the rain this month. :happy:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-17 6:14 AM
All I kept thinking about watching Boston was that Umstead weather was almost exactly like that and even included a little snow :laugh:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-04-17 2:15 PM
:laugh:  Asked my husband's PT if he had watched the Boston Marathon. He replied that he had not as he had no desire to watch people become hypothermic. Then I told him about Umstead...:laugh:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:28 PM
Nothing better than a hot shower after a cold race. :happy:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-04-16 9:08 AM
10.5 Miles this morning

I wanted to get the run in so I could settle in at my desk and watch the marathon coverage. One of the guys who trains with us is running so we were comparing our weather conditions to what he had to run in today. It was cool and windy, but at least we didn't have any rain. It roared through our area last night and it appears that a tornado touched down nearby. :shocker!:

My first 50K was run on trails during a tropical storm. The rain was coming down very hard the first loop but got lighter throughout the day. At least that race was in June so it was a warm rain and actually helped keep it from getting too hot. I've had cold rain at the Ocean Drive and Illinois marathons and that is not fun.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 9:31 AM
I can't imagine cold rain at Ocean Drive with that brutal wind :cry:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-04-16 9:50 AM
We were fairly lucky that it didn't start raining until about mile 16.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 10:42 AM
I did just a 10 mile trail run in the rain once and that was about 9.5 miles too much for me!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 11:08 AM
Great run!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:27 PM
Yes Eric got the spectator of the year award at Ocean Drive, for going out in that mess. :laugh: Actually he looked comfortable in that rain suit and hat. :laugh:
- - By skigirl Date 2018-04-16 9:17 AM
My first and to date only marathon was the Snowdonia Marathon in Wales.  The weather was so cold and rainy that they pulled some of the slowest runners off the course (not me, though) and also pulled volunteers, which meant the aid stations were closed.  Which meant that my strategy of getting water at the aid stations went by the wayside because I would arrive at a spot where the station should have been, hoping for water, and find nothing.  At one point, despite being pelted with rain, I was so thirsty that I picked up a water bottle off the ground that someone else had abandoned and poured the remaining water from it into my mouth.  :cry:  At mile 23 or so, the route turns off a paved road onto a trail leading up a hill, with absolutely no shelter.  I was soaked from head to toe and the wind hit me full force.  I was so cold and miserable - my right hip seized up and I couldn't run any more so I started to walk.  People I had passed earlier now started to pass me, disappearing into the fog ahead.  :cry:  When I finished the race my lips were blue and they rushed me off into a nice warm building to warm up.  Someone came up to me and said, "Well done!  You weren't just running a race, you were fighting Nature!", which made me laugh.  :laugh:

Eventful weekend here.  We went xc skiing on Saturday, which was great.  But.  We came back to the lodge to find emergency response teams in place.  Long story short: a good friend of ours had had a very severe heart attack while skiing.  By the grace of some divine intervention or very good luck, he collapsed close to people who knew what to do - one person started CPR and the other person skied to the lodge to get the AED.  He was still unconscious when he was taken to hospital.  DH and I took supper over to the family Saturday and Sunday evenings and I'm coordinating a roster of meal prep volunteers for the next couple of weeks and probably longer - this family is well-known and well-loved in our ski community and everybody wants to help.  It will be several days before they know what the long-term prognosis is - whether there was heart or brain damage.  :sad:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 9:25 AM
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry! :cry: So glad he was around people that knew what to do and I hope there's not long-term damage. :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 9:32 AM
Oh my gosh! So sorry to hear about your friend, but so glad he was around people who knew what to do. I hope there's no long-term damage. :hug:

Your marathon experience sounds miserable. I can't believe they pulled aid station volunteers, that is so unsafe for runners! You are amazing for finishing in those conditions! :happy:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 9:40 AM
Oh no. Glad there were knowledgeable people near to help :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 10:43 AM
I everything works out for your friend.:hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:05 PM
oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Best wishes to the family and I hope for the best possible outcome. :hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-16 1:00 PM
i cannot believe they didn't pull all runners if they closed the aid stations. :wtf: (I would love to do a race in wales! i've done one in lakes district years ago. it poured! :laugh:)

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 1:14 PM
Yowza... tough race. Hopefully they gave you a pint or some irish whiskey too. :happy:

So sorry about your friend. I hope there is some good news.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:25 PM
:sad:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 9:30 AM Edited 2018-04-16 9:49 AM
Happy Monday! Good luck to all the Boston marathoners!! I have it on TV. :hug:

cyclebar for me -- I'm still tired from the weekend. We stained and put our arbor back up. I painted 39 boards (all 4 sides) so I was on my feet all damn day. OUCH.

GO DES GO!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 10:14 AM
So strong!!!
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 10:21 AM
That finish rocked!!!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 10:27 AM
Sure did!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 10:44 AM
If we took our arbor, down it would never get back up.  Heck, my Christmas junk is still in the garage as no one will put it in the attic!
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 10:46 AM
Girl, we took it down to put in the pool...  I thought we were paying someone to paint it and put it back up. NOPE. :cry::laugh:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 10:56 AM
A pool is a great reason to take down and put up!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 11:07 AM
especially here in TX, right? :grin:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 11:08 AM
Sounds like a busy weekend! I am sore from doing yardwork on Saturday. :roll:

I streamed the race at work, what a great race by Des!!! :grin::grin::grin:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 11:28 AM
Yeah, it must've been. I can't believe she said she thought early on, it wasn't going to be her day. Sheesh!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:04 PM
that sounds like a lot of work :cry: Enjoy your mimosa! :wink:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-16 12:59 PM
standing is the worst! we went to the march for scientist here saturday and wanted to hear the speakers. 2 hours of standing and everything was complaining.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-16 5:26 PM
Nice to see her win after all these years.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 10:54 AM
It is taper week for me, so I am doing whatever I want! On Saturday, I did a 2.4 mile, 17 obstacle, trail, river, and lake "Gladiator Dash" with blazergirl. She made me do a Spartan Race with her last year and has told me she will ask me to do a race like this every year until she kills me.:laugh:  Sunday, I ran 11 miles which include five tempo miles in 25 mph wind.  For some reason, all our tempo miles were INTO the wind.:roll:  This morning, I ran 4 miles and will go to boxing class tonight. 

The worst of my rainy races was the Farm-to-Farm 50K in Freeport, Maine.  Hurricane Matthew hit the coast (which was 1/2 mile from the start) a few hours before race time.  Of course all the locals were saying they "needed the rain". :roll:  It poured BUCKETS, was 50 degrees and super windy the entire race.  Luckily only 6-7 miles was on trail, so that was a positive? Considering it totally sucked, I ran 6:05 which was an 80-ish minute PR so I guess that was worth the massive amount of chafing I suffered that day.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 11:08 AM
The race looked fun! Loved all the mud! :grin:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 11:10 AM
:shocker!: on your race experience! Did you ever do a wardrobe change? Like dry shoes and socks?

Your pics from this weekend looked fun!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 11:40 AM
No, in that rainy race I never changed as it would not have done any good.....all the dry clothes would have been soaked in a matter of minutes.  It was a double loop, so everyone at the aid station (which was under a pavilion) was "treated" to a VERY PUBLIC re-applying of Body Glide to all sorts of private places.:laugh:  Sadly, the Bodyglide wasn't much help.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:01 PM
:shocker!::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:03 PM
omg! That sounds like an insane race! Both the one this weekend, and the 50K in ME!

so we all want to know... did you kick Blazergirl's butt? :evil:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:26 PM
Blazergirl and I finished together. :hug: She was much better at the obstacles and could have pulled away from me at those points in the race, but I can run faster.  (She approached the obstacles in the fearless way a 20 yo can while I was a baby about them.) Even if we didn't end up staying and supporting each other when the other was not as strong, we MAY have been about the same time.  Or, she may have kicked it up at the end to whoop me!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 2:09 PM
That's so cool.:happy:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-17 6:13 AM
that sounds awesome. :hug: I hope my daughter will want to hang with me like Blazergirl does with you when she is older!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 1:13 PM
When the word hurricane is mentioned on race day that is never a good thing. When are you going to drag Blazergirl into a marathon?!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 3:28 PM
I THINK I may be able to con her into training for a marathon when I do my 50th state.  Since that is probably 4ish years from now, she will be out of college, a couple of years into her career and she might be itching for a new challenge.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-17 6:13 AM
that would be so cool!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-17 7:43 AM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:24 PM
Woo-hoo, an extra long race in the hurricane. :roll:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-16 5:27 PM Edited 2018-04-16 5:29 PM
Tempo miles into the win are extra intense. Kind of training "bonus".
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-04-16 11:28 AM
I taught 6am cycling class this morning with the Boston Marathon theme.  Had a good turnout! One other Boston veteran (who is also a 50 stater) in the class.  Did hip & shoulder stuff afterwards.

About the time I put Boston on TV this morning it began to clear up here.  A while yet before that will happen in Boston but apparently the U.S. women are awesome "mudders" or rain runners!  Yea Des!  ...and 17 of the top 20!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 11:40 AM Edited 2018-04-16 11:42 AM
Yay Desi!!!

And Enid.  Everyone hates that weather but she FREEZES.  She is plugging away!  I bet she does well in her AG.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-16 11:48 AM
Enid is so impressive!! :cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:16 PM Edited 2018-04-16 12:46 PM
Enid is close to the 40K mark and appears to be running pretty consistent splits!

ETA....and has now finished!  Warm up Enid!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:01 PM
yeah Desi! Training in MI, this is probably nothing to her!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:02 PM
On the live stream they mentioned how Des ran the NYC half marathon a few weeks ago in this same exact crappy weather, and Des ran it slow (for her) and she said she just wanted to get used to running long on tired legs. I guess the weather helped her out more than she knew too! :cool:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 1:11 PM
Geez, the rest of the women's field melted.
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:23 PM
Kind of an easy theme choice for today. :laugh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-04-16 5:07 PM
Since I've had the Monday 6am slot all 6 years I've been teaching, I've done it on the 3rd Monday morning in April for all of them!
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-04-17 9:38 AM
I'm cool with marathons and cold weather.
I can't stand heat and I find myself at a disadvantage at spring or fall where suddenly on race day it turns out to be 65F when I'm best at around 50-55F.

So go mudders :cool::cool::cool:
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:00 PM
I remember 2 years ago so well - running Boston with little P growing in my belly. I was 22 wks pregnant. Had an amazing day, loved every second, and even finished in under 4 hours! (3:55:24) My PW marathon time, but I was as thrilled with it as I was with my BQ!

Today, a little different! I had an enjoyable, if slow (of course) 5 miles on trails. Pregnant again, but far from marathon shape! :laugh: oh well, it was a very nice run, and I'm happy to be out there at all.

Hmmm, a rainy race story. I was registered for the Broad Street Run a few years ago (huge 10 miler in Philly) and race day dawned cold and very rainy and windy. I said F it and went back to bed :laugh: So, a rainy non-race story! :weatherwimp: I ran a marathon in 28 degrees, wind, and light snow, but 45 degrees and rain? No thanks!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:07 PM
a rainy non-race story!
:laugh::laugh:

Love your Boston story. :hug::hug:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:12 PM
I'm so glad I went ahead and ran Boston. It may never happen again, and the memories are priceless! My mom tells anyone who will listen about her daughter who ran Boston at 5 months preggo :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:18 PM
:laugh::laugh: That is such a mom thing to do. :hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-16 12:55 PM
:laugh::cool::hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 2:52 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:03 PM
:cool:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:21 PM
Your BSR story!  That was the first year (after I stopped running it) that I declined to assist the elite coordinator at the finish line (months before the weather forecast)...WHEW!  I went to the gym that morning & ran into a "regular" from my cycling class who was supposed to be running Broad Street.  I asked why she was in the gym running on a treadmill & her reply was "THIS is MY Broad Street Run, no F'ing way I was running in this weather!"  :laugh:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-16 12:23 PM
:laugh::laugh: It was AWFUL that morning. Ugh!!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 1:10 PM
The worst part about racing in 45 degrees and rain is waiting to start the race. That's a cool Boston story... and the sleep in one too. :laugh:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-16 12:43 PM
i remembered to record the marathon and i am really looking forward to watching it when i get home this evening! Very exciting! and yay Enid!  Dang. how does she do that?! :cool:

probably most memorable cold rain run was seattle half in probably 2006. mid-30s and sleeting at times. Around mile 11, the course runs alongside the freeway. The freeway is elevated above the road at that point and it had been raining hard enough so there was standing water on the road way. Cars driving on the freeway above were sending sheets of cold water down onto the street where runners crossed under. Miserable! I remember consciously speeding up around mile 7 because i was so cold that i needed to be done sooner. Back then i could actually speed up and that race is close to my PR. i don't think i 've run that race since. :laugh:

been an off week for me. i'm tapering but had some hip/back thing flare up last week. So i've been running 3 - 6 miles each day but that's about it.  This morning was 4 in very pleasant conditions. Yesterday was 3.5 on local trails. :hug: I see my chiro tomorrow and i hope she can sort it out. I'm annoyed by it. :meh::mutmad:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-16 1:09 PM
Cars splashing water on you is definitely adding insult to injury.  :cry:

Hope you get some relief on the hip/back thing.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-16 2:06 PM
What a miserable race! :cry: No wonder you never went back! :laugh:

Hope you get the hip/back thing sorted out! :hug:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:21 PM
I thought it rains at every race in Seattle. :wtf:  : pbbt:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-17 6:14 AM
that race sounds absolutely miserable!!
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 3:20 PM
Well my last two marathons had start temps of 16 and 18. :roll: Ran a marathon in NJ (with Nooner) that had rain for the 2nd half with temps in the 50s. At the Maine Marathon it was in the upper 40s and it started sprinkling during the National Anthem and about 1/2 mile into the race the skies opened up.  It rained hard the entire race.  I Ran with Tim almost the whole way and Eric was also running but we weren't sure where he was.  It was pouring at the finish and all 3 of us finished within 2 minutes of each other! We ran to the car to warm up. When we got back to the hotel, I grabbed free coffee in the lobby and I was shaking so bad, I couldn't drink it. :laugh: I was holding it with 2 hands to try to keep from spilling it. Back in the hotel room I had about 1/2 a cup left. :laugh:

Great performances today at Boston; it was good to see the U.S. runners do so well.  But, I love the Japanese dude! Hell he has run as many marathons as me and won his 4th race of the year. :cool: :cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-16 3:30 PM
The thing I remember about those Maine race reports was that Tim took a shower before running, even though he knew it would rain.  I forgot to tease him about that habit this morning!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-16 3:55 PM
:laugh: the coffee!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-16 4:35 PM
At least my hands got warm. :laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-16 5:37 PM
That's a pretty good cold wet rainy race story.  I hate not being able to get warm, but I've never spilled my coffee.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-17 7:45 AM
Oh that Maine race sounds miserable! :cry:

That Japanese guy is a machine!
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-16 5:44 PM
Shoveled (F*CK) this morning and ran 3.6 miles with my son before dinner.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-17 7:46 AM
:cry::cry::hug:
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-04-16 6:56 PM
Happy Monday,

5 miles on the trails in cold, windy conditions but atleast no rain.

Enjoyed the marathon today and neat to see some surprises in the results.  What’s up with the mask Rupp wears ?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-17 7:47 AM
It looked like Rupp was dressed to rob a bank in the middle of the race :wtf::laugh:
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-04-17 8:43 AM
Yeah that was really strange.   I guess he dropped out.
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-04-16 8:55 PM
My day was just a 3 miler in rain/sleet and wind.
I guess my worst marathon weather story was 1995 in NY. It was so cold with high winds that the race officials would not allow the wheel chair folks to cross the Verranazio Bridge for fear of being blown over. So they bused those folks to the Brooklyn side to start --and they were pissed. The rest of started on Staten Island as usual , wearing extra layers . Once crossing the bridge the winds were  blocked by the tall buildings  for most of the course. So we proceed to the finish in Central Park where the organizers arranged to hand out hot chocolate to all finishers :hug:

But this is incredible--in NY it is customary to wear  old duds to the start and then discard excess clothing, which is then collected by volunteers and  donated  . That year, the officials realized how cold the finishers would be, so they brought the clothes to the finish line and handed out to the runners. Believe me ,at that point we did not care about the origin of the used clothes..:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-17 7:47 AM
That's cool about NYCM! Did they not have enough space blankets to go around, or was it just THAT cold?
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2018-04-17 9:43 AM
They had plenty of space blankets, but realized that would not be enough. At the finish, it was very cold and windy and also crowded. So folks were really jammed up , walking slow maybe a half mile to get out of the park . Those free sweats were a blessing .
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Marathon MONDAILY