Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Wednesday Daily
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 1:14 PM
Post them already

Or reply them if that's your thing
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-04-11 1:29 PM
11.3 miles with 2x 3 miles at half marathon pace with a friend/teammate/coworker; we averaged 5:56 and I felt very relaxed and comfortable, so that's encouraging! Then I came back and did some squats and lunges. I predict I won't be able to use stairs tomorrow.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 2:01 PM
Nice!! :cool:

Good luck with stairs tomorrow!
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-04-11 2:49 PM
That's outstanding!   The only way I could do that workout would be in my car.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 2:51 PM
Wowzers! Good work!
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-04-11 2:26 PM
Yes I'll reply, thank you. :happy:

In Pittsburgh today for hearings, my hearings got done early enough for my favorite urban run on a cool beautiful day here...9.5 miles including over all three rivers and up and along Mt. Washington overlooking the best skyline in America. :grin:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 2:51 PM
:grin::grin: Nice run!!!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 3:04 PM
Nice run and nice view! :cool:
Parent - By Industrial Bell [us] Date 2018-04-11 10:14 PM
10.1 miles - Ran home from work.

42¢ (14 coins)

cold, raining & windy at 1830

Hoka Odyssey
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 1:19 PM
I have no workout to report. I'm just procrastinating writing a presentation for work. : pbbt:

Last night I walked the dog but I never got around to doing yoga. Tonight will likely be similar.

My knee feels 97% back to normal today. :cool: Might try some easy spinning tomorrow AM.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 1:59 PM
I used to be so dedicated to my yoga dvds, then I just lost it... I've tried several times to get back into it, and just feel :meh: about it. I could really use:meh:the yoga for abs workout though.  Have you ever tried the Rodney Yee dvds?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 2:01 PM
Yes! I have Rodney Yee's yoga for athletes, which is what I usually use. Lately though I have just been finding quick yoga workouts on YouTube. I also have the P90X yoga DVD but I've never gotten all the way through it since it's 90 min long.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 2:03 PM
I love Rodney, I have the athletes dvd, the yoga for abs dvd, and one or two others. Of course, they're all packed away in a box now!:cry:
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-04-11 3:27 PM
I decided to take a look at Rodney Yee and followed a few links and ended up here.  Cobbler's pose - seriously?  His knees are touching the floor.  I try to do that my knees barely get lower than mid-chest.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 2:34 PM
yoga :hug:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 1:25 PM
I went to yoga and walked Olive. :hug: Yoga was tough for the 3rd day in a row.

Anyway, foot still on fire. Made an appointment. I'm frustrated. Anytime my mileage goes over 22 mpw, shit happens. First it was the hamstring thing, now it's PF in my right foot. It's not like I just went crazy increasing mileage, I've been running fairly consistently (more than other things) for about a year now.

Sigh.

Happy Wednesday :hug:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 1:56 PM
Do you have orthotics? What running shoes do you wear? If this happens consistently once you increase mileage, it might be the type of shoes you wear, or even the non-running shoes you wear.

Olive.:hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 2:31 PM
No, I don't have orthotics. I wear Nike stability shoes.

For non running, I'm very aware and wear birkenstocks or Olukai for walking around the house.
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-04-11 3:02 PM
I think that neutral shoes plus running orthotics do a much better job than stability shoes because they somewhat change the shape of your foot so that it better supports you rather then just trying to prevent a roll by putting stiff material in the sole.  I started with Superfeet green which let me get past 300-400 miles without getting hurt and eventually got custom running orthotics as the yearly mileage ramped up. Previous to using the Superfeet, I'd start running (and I'd be using stability shoes) and build up and when I'd get to a few hundred total miles, I'd have a injury that would put me out of commission for months.  That process repeated multiple times.   I've also tried hard (although I don't know that I'm succeeding) at the standard things like shortening stride, increasing cadence, and trying to move towards a forefoot landing - all things which I think have help minimize PF issues. 

Hope you get things worked out. :hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 3:05 PM
Thank you for that! I really appreciate it. :grin:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:12 PM
Yes, I find this to be absolutely true. When I wore stability shoes, I had pretty chronic ITBS, off and on knee problems... had two s/f during the time I wore them. The custom orthotics fixed some problems, and changing shoes to 0 drop Altras seems to have fixed the rest.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 6:21 PM
I’m definitely intrigued!!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:27 PM
Chiming in here too. I had the same experience. I kept getting all of the stupid running injuries, even though I was wearing stability shoes since I overpronate like crazy. I finally went to a podiatrist who diagnosed me with a leg length discrepancy (right leg shorter than my left by at least 1/2") and figured out that I overpronate more with my left foot to compensate for that discrepancy. He made me custom orthotics and told me to get neutral shoes (which come in way more fun colors BTW : pbbt:), and my injuries disappeared! It took about 10 years to figure this all out :roll: but what a difference it made in the end when I got the orthotics! Injury-free (after recovering from bunion surgery) for 7 years now! :grin:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-12 5:51 AM
:grin::grin: Y'all have definitely given me lots of things to think about.
I suppose I should visit our running store and talk to them as well :wtf:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 1:59 PM
Sorry to heat about your foot. :sad: I hope the doctor can figure out what's up! :hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 2:32 PM
Thanks! I'm going to go see the chiro and just see what he says... I didn't love my last experience with the podiatrist.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-04-11 3:11 PM
Sorry about the foot. :sad: PF sucks.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-12 5:52 AM
:hug:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 1:53 PM
75 minute spin class today, the hardest class I've taken yet. Holy crap! I was jello at the end.:laugh: I did something stupid yesterday, though, and my hamstring feels strained today.:meh: Yesterday I started to adjust the bike seat on the spin bike , wanted to move it a centimeter or two farther back from the handlebars. It's kind of tough to move, so on my first attempt I somehow moved the bike all the way back, as far as it would go. This has happened before, and usually I can get it adjusted to the setting I want on the second attempt. Well yesterday I was so distracted (or something:wtf:) that instead of making the second adjustment, I just got on the bike with the seat all the way back and started the class. In my mind though, I thought the bike was adjusted.:roll: The whole time, it felt wrong, my legs were reaching so much, but all my metrics were pretty close to what I usually do, so I just thought I had to get used to the different setting.:roll:  Then later last night I felt the hamstring strain.:roll: Maybe a run will cure it.: pbbt:

My house had a deep cleaning today. It smells pretty!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-04-11 1:57 PM
An in-person indoor cycling instructor would have caught your incorrect positioning on the bike and corrected it before you got hurt!  : pbbt:

...maybe  :wink:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 2:01 PM
:laugh:

Maybe is right... I need you to teach closer to Montclair, NJ!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-04-11 5:06 PM
...and the profession does not pay enough to cover the commute!  :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:16 PM
But the joy you would get from benefitting society would more than make up for the renumeration!: pbbt:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 1:59 PM
Yay for a clean house! :grin:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 2:01 PM
It feels so much better!
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 2:33 PM
That sounds like a tough class!!! Nice!

Ohhhh how nice. I love the smell of pine sol after I mop. :blush:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:17 PM
Yes, me too! And all the dog pee stains on the wooden floors are gone. :laugh:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-04-11 2:08 PM
Taught cycling class.  Did hip & shoulder exercises.

Running club meeting tonight so day 1 of 2 nights of pizza & beer for dinner.

Guest speaker at our meeting is going to be a local orthopedic surgeon (specializing in hips & knees) who led a study on joint arthritis among marathoners vs. non-marathoners.  Apparently it was published in Runners World but I can't find that online so there's this.   Interestingly, she's part of the same ortho institute/hospital as my hip surgeon.  I'm not really the exception to the findings of her study since I attribute running with a basketball ACL injury/rupture left knee as the cause of my right hip issues. So, I will not be a heckler tonight :laugh:  ...and since she's about half the age of my surgeon perhaps she'll be around & working if I need a revision in 30 years :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 2:11 PM
:laugh::laugh: Yes, best not to heckle!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-11 2:33 PM
:laugh::laugh: you better be careful! :wink:

oops, read that wrong! You will not heckle. : pbbt:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-04-11 3:10 PM
5 miles at noon.

I thought that the sun was going to be out so it was a little cooler than I expected. We did our route that takes us through campus and we hit the big traffic jam as students were heading out to their next class.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:29 PM
Surprised it's not summer temps by you yet!
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-11 3:37 PM
It was SO PERFECT this morning (52, no wind) and really, I really wanted to run, but had already run 7 days in a row.:meh:  So, I did an hour on the elliptical before work and will go to boxing class tonight. 

In the "timing is everything" category.......this afternoon, blazergirl called me asking if I had a DSW coupon as she was buying snappy shoes for a ceremony she has on Friday.  Not 10 minutes earlier, I had received a $10 coupon in an email from DSW. :grin::happy:  I love saving $10!!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:23 PM
Oooo, I love shoe coupons! You've reminded me that I have a coupon to use on Zappos, I'd better use it soon.:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:28 PM
So did you end up paying for her shoes? :wtf::laugh:

Glad you stuck to the elliptical! :happy:
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-04-11 4:00 PM
Late post.  7 miles; 3 with the dog.  Legs felt pretty good for the 4th day after a marathon. 

Finished spray painting mile marks and turn arrows for the Garmin/Oz 1/2 marathon course.  Some of the marathon uses the same route so tomorrow will have about 17 miles to mark. :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:24 PM
I wish I could do that marathon this year, the medals look amazing!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:29 PM
:cool:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-11 4:40 PM
Maiden voyage in the kayak (or boat for tj). I counted 16 loons. Zero lions. 50 minute paddle on Lake Monona followed by a 3.2 mile run.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:30 PM
No lions :cry:

Sounds like an awesome paddle! :cool:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:28 PM
4.1 miles with 2 friends

Taper is on!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-11 6:30 PM
:cool:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Wednesday Daily