Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / MonDaily
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-09 10:22 AM
Post 'em.  Are your taxes done?
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-04-09 12:24 PM
easy 6.6 miles plus some core and pull-ups.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-09 1:06 PM
Did you do 6 pull ups?
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-04-09 2:31 PM
I did not. I was an overachiever and did 8!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-09 2:40 PM
Replying with my non-workout and no my taxes are not done yet but they are in review, ready to submit stage.

Down with the crud for most of this weekend, in fact so awful I did not run yesterday nor even have a single beer. More of the same today but body is finally feeling better. Not hacking or sneezing or feeling like my head is full of cotton. The plan is to get back to the trails tomorrow.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 5:55 AM
I hope your body feels better soon. I find rest is the only thing that works on these ailments.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-04-09 4:22 PM
YES! :cool: At least my personal taxes. I still have to do taxes for a trust as the trustee, but they aren't quite as bad and I'll find the time sometime this week.

Tight day in my disaster of a schedule but I did get out for 4.5 miles in still-wintry conditions along the river. :happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 5:56 AM
Nice job fitting that run in.
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-04-09 6:14 PM
My taxes are done.

AM - Walked 1.4 miles to the gym (26¢ - 2 coins) where I used various core, arm & hip machines.

PM - I will be running home from work tonight & will report back on that later.
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-04-09 9:37 PM
10.4 miles

66¢ (9 coins)

low 70s & humid at 1825

New Balance 890v5 Green #1
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 5:59 AM
I'm guessing on the .66 but 2 quarters 1 dime and 6 pennies? That's not the only possibility.:wtf:
- - By skigirl Date 2018-04-09 10:44 AM
Rest day today for me.  (I love rest days!).

Yesterday - an hour of xc skiing at our local Nordic centre, about an hour's drive east of the city.  The unusual winter-like weather we're experiencing has most people around here in a state of homicidal rage, but the xc skiers are sure happy - I saw lots of big smiles yesterday: the ski conditions are perfect.  Given the forecast for the upcoming week, we may even be able to squeeze in another day of skiing next weekend.  :happy:

Then, because I was feeling antsy about how under-exercised I have been in the last month, due to work travel, family stuff, etc., I went to the gym in the evening and did a strength training/cardio intervals workout.  I was very glad to get that in - I felt great afterwards and it's nice to be back to strength training.

My daughter has two big exams this week: today she's writing the DELF, which is a 2.5 hour exam administered by the Ministry of Education in France to test French-Language proficiency, and on Thursday, she has an exam in piano administered by the Royal Conservatory of Music.  She's pretty stressed about both. 

I was thinking of telling her she needed to clean up her room this weekend (it was a complete disaster in there), but then decided not to - she had so much studying to do, I figured it wasn't fair to pile anything else on her.  Then on Sunday morning I heard the sound of bustling coming from her room, followed by the sound of vacuuming.  :shocker!:  Looked in - her room was spotless.  Shortly afterwards she came out - she had found $300 in her room while cleaning up, and insisted she had to go to the bank Right Now to deposit it.  I looked at her a bit quizzically, and she sheepishly grinned and admitted she was procrastinating.  :laugh::laugh::laugh:  She did eventually get back to studying.  :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-09 10:56 AM
Blazergirl is a disgusting pig when it comes to her room. When she was in high school, the only time she would clean it (without me SCREAMING at her), was when she wanted to put off studying.  Sounds like our girls are two-peas-in-a-pod!:laugh:  Best of luck to her this week!!:hug:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-09 11:21 AM
Is she a high school student?   That is awesome about the French and piano.  My son is taking AP French at his school this year.  He really loves it.  Neither of my kids is musical which is a crying shame, in my opinion.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-04-09 11:46 AM
Yup, she's in Grade 11.  She was in French immersion from kindergarten through to Grade 9 so her French is pretty good - then she switched schools and there's no longer a French immersion program available, so she's been doing AP French to keep herself sharp.  :happy:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-09 2:24 PM
that's wonderful.  You can't beat that sort of fluency from a young age.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-09 11:23 AM
I still use cleaning as a procrastination tool. Good luck to skigirl's girl this week!
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-09 12:51 PM
Good luck to her on both her exams!

if only i could find $300 when i go through the pockets of my running shorts before doing laundry
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-09 1:06 PM
Enjoy your rest day and best wishes to your daughter and her exams! :hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-09 2:42 PM
I saw footage yesterday on the television that they still had skiing open in the Poconos. That's really late for PA... and yes, most of us are going crazy.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 6:01 AM
Cleaning always looks appealing when something else is hanging over your head.:laugh:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-09 10:53 AM
5 miles this morning.  I have run every day since Wednesday and should have done the elliptical this morning, but it was a lovely 46* with no wind, so I took advantage of the weather.  I will go to boxing class tonight.

For the first time in 7-8 years, we did not file an extension.....they were done and paid last week!  Since we didn't owe too much, I figured paying a couple of weeks early wasn't going to move the needle on interest income.:roll:  And for the first time in 18 years, I actually did our taxes myself!  When we sold our first house, and had some other quirky things going on, we outsourced to a woman CPA I knew from church.  For years, she and I were in charge of desserts at the Lenten Fish Fry together....my mother always said to hire people who went to your church (plumbers, electricians, etc.) because if they knew they would see you every week, they would give you the best service!  My CPA recently retired and instead of finding a new person, I just did the taxes myself. As we had a lot of expenses related to our deadbeat tenant in our rental house, the time I would pay a new CPA to get up to speed would not be worth it.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-04-09 11:47 AM
I thought you did boxing on Tuesdays and Thursdays - do I have you mixed up with someone else?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-09 12:46 PM
I usually go to boxing class Monday-Thursday evenings.  My only kid still living at home is barely around, so I have nothing better to do!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-09 1:05 PM
It was a beautiful morning! :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 6:02 AM
I think 2 showered is more daunting than 2 workouts.:laugh:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-04-09 11:33 AM
My taxes were completed a month ago yesterday and both refunds are in the bank!  I've always self-prepared my taxes...with some help from Mr. TurboTax :wink:  

My workout was 6am cycling class and hip/shoulder exercises afterwards. 

A guy who lives in the Philly 'burbs in PA that I know from doing a USATF Grand Prix of races for many years just turned 70 last week and ran the Rotterdam Marathon yesterday with the objective of breaking age records.  The American Best for 70-74 was 3:00:58 and that stood since 1996.  He ran 2:57:43!  :shocker!:
Canadian Ed Whitlock is credited with the World Best for 70-74, 2:54:48, run as a 73 year old.  USATF for U.S. records and WMA for world records only display records in 5 year age groups.  There's been social media discussion that Gene's 2:57:43 is the best ever run as a 70 year old.  They cite Ed Whitlock's 3:00:23 as a 70 year old as the previous single age record but it's more typical for masters records to be expressed in 5 year age-group increments.  Still an incredible performance!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-04-09 11:48 AM
Wow, good for him!  :shocker!:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-04-09 11:53 AM
OMG!!!! That is incredible!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-09 11:56 AM
Whoa! That’s fantastic!!!!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-09 12:47 PM
WOW!  What a race!!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-09 2:45 PM
Hey, I met Gene at a few trail races. Raced part of the last loop with him at Coventry Woods ultra a few years ago. We chatted for a bit, then he dropped me in the last 1/2 mile!!  :laugh::cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-04-09 5:37 PM
Yeah, we both ran (I ran, he runs) for clubs in the local USATF Association's Grand Prix every year so we were often in the same races.  He was ALWAYS ahead of me.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 6:04 AM
Who knows what this guy will be capable of by the time he reachers 73! All of that is impressive.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-04-09 11:56 AM
Yes! Taxes done! We haven’t received our refund yet tho.

Cyclebar then a quick change and an hour of yoga :hug:
Foot still hurts so trying not to run until Thursday. We will see.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-09 12:48 PM
Hope the foot feels better soon!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-09 2:46 PM
Are there adult beverages available at the cycle bar?

Oh, sorry about the foot. Hope it feels better. :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 6:05 AM
Hope your foot heals. Be careful. One run is not worth another lay off.:sad:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-04-09 12:39 PM
5 miles at noon.

We were supposed to run this morning but weather forecast had it raining and cold right when we would have been running (and they were right). My running partner was also driving back from a weekend camping trip so I knew he wouldn’t made the extra sleep so we postponed the longer run until tomorrow AM.

I thought that the rain had ended but it was still misting a little when I went out. I kept telling myself that it was going to be better than running on the treadmill and headed off. The mist was gone by the end of the first mile so it was much better than running on the TM.

I have most of our taxes done but just need to check a few things and then submit. We can’t claim any of he kids as dependants this year so owe some so I wasn’t in any hurry to get them done.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-09 12:50 PM
It was tricky determining whether we could claim blazergirl this year as she made decent money at her internship last year. I guess I should be happy?
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-04-09 1:45 PM
You should have had a tuition credit so you should be happy for that. Next year when you have 2 in college you should be good.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-09 2:07 PM
We have a pre-prepaid tuition plan which we use for tuition and a 529 Plan which is used for other fees and covers part of room and board. Since those grow tax-free, it tricks up the tuition credit.
:grin: Nice run!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-09 2:47 PM
I like running in mist and drizzle. :cool:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-09 12:55 PM
I might run, but I might not.  It's one of those kind of days here.

I'll do taxes this week.  We hired it out last year because DW withdrew some money from a retirement account, and we wanted to make sure we filed correctly.  It also boosted DW's confidence that I've been doing them right all these years when she saw that we didn't get a refund last year either.  :laugh:
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-09 2:49 PM
You are excused for taking a day off. When is your big race?
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-12 10:04 AM
May 3-9, or thereabouts
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 6:07 AM
Day off? Slacker!:laugh:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-12 10:05 AM
Yes...far too often :cry:
- - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-04-09 2:34 PM
10.2 today, again.

heartrate is coming down slightly on the runs, aches and pains are going up.

Taxes are mostly done - have to enter a few more things, make a few adjustments and write a big check.  I ended up paying 3.5 times in taxes what my take home pay was last year.  :cry:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-04-09 2:48 PM
One the one hand, that sound like a shitpot of taxes, but on the other hand it's sounds like a ton of income.
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-04-09 4:39 PM
I was in a position to give up a decent salary in exchange for compensation by stock grant.  When a grant vests, 50% is immediately sold off for taxes - so I see nothing from it.  I could get income from selling off some of what is left, but am risking it by waiting until I retire before selling it.  That way when I do go to sell it, the taxes will be much less then if I sold today. Maybe I'll even move out of California before selling.   Of course if the price of the stock goes down between now and retirement, I will have worked for little compensation.  When I made the arrangements, I didn't fully realize just how large the tax bill was going to be.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 6:09 AM
That sounds awful.:shocker!:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-12 10:05 AM
:shocker!:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-09 4:03 PM
they are done and paid. Dh used taxfreeusa or something like that. said it worked well. it helped that there is no state tax for us.

i do work for an accounting firm (but am not an accountant :grin: ) and last minute tax stuff is pretty silly and that includes the accountants trying to get their stuff done as well. :roll:

i did get in a long run yesterday. it wasn't pretty and not as far as i'd wanted but it's done. when i woke up in the morning it was pouring. i waited until around 11 to go out and managed a mostly dry run so that was something. i went out this am for run and turned around after a quarter mile. i was just too creaky and figured a rest day would be better. I've been going up and down stairs all day long and that feels fine.

the dinner party at my in-laws with our neighbors was nice. everyone had a good time. the dish that MIL made as the main was one she's evidently made since the early 70s. :shocker!: i was glad there were many options because we brought along more sides. :happy::mischief:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 6:10 AM
I hope the next run is better. Good job getting in the long run!
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-04-09 5:35 PM
Happy Monday,

5 miles today on a mix of road and trail.  Taxes aren’t done.  I have to file in Canada and the U.S. yeah for me !

My trail shoes showed up in the mail so that’s some happiness
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 6:10 AM
Good luck with the new shoes.
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-04-09 8:56 PM
Haven't even started my taxes

#cpafail

But yay, a non-Beard dailies!

Run:
4.5 miles this morning. Around the small lake and one loop through the woods. It was great. It gave me some time to think, and to listen to my breathing and my footsteps, and to watch my breath freeze with each exhale. I paused to watch the sunrise over the lake. And I just took in and appreciated how happy I am right now. And that feeling carried with me throughout the day.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-10 6:11 AM
I would consider that run a huge success.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / MonDaily