Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / House selling? NRR
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-04-08 7:38 AM
Obviously very NRR, don't want to post to FB since it isn't fully public that we are planning to move (waiting to sign contract on new build first). We are getting house ready to sell and debating what needs to be done and what can get done if there is time...

If you are looking to buy a house what is important or makes you more likely to buy? Cosmetic things what helps you want to buy?
-New paint throughout house? (We have some bold colors and realtor wants us to pain all beige)
-New cabinet hardware?
-Depersonalized house?

Anything else that sways you to buy or not buy a house?

Would you be okay buying a house that is a little cheaper knowing the carpet is older? (we were planning to replace soon, it isn't horrible just can tell it has been around many years!).
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-04-08 11:49 AM
Depends on who is buying. Your realtor should be able to assist in what the "target audience" is for your listing & should offer suggestions that are in line with that.

People who expect "move-in-ready" homes want builder-beige walls, nothing at all that is unique or trendy, absolutely nothing that would require removal (boring carpets, 'normal tile,' standard fixtures, traditional hardware). Some people will choose not to offer on a home because a single room required painting. :roll: Case in point - a realtor showing our old home told us that "You really need to do something with the basement decor" It was the playroom, the decor was painted childish with finding nemo. Sure it's only a coat of paint, but they wanted to pick on stuff, so they did.

People who expect "a deal" on a home will often overlook cosmetic problems, though not always.

People who have bought / sold a few homes (or trust the advice of someone who has) generally look for "good bones" in a house - solid construction, quality finishes, and recognize the cosmetic stuff is so easily changed that it's irrelevant to the sale. What is $1000 in paint and cabinet hardware when you are buying a $200,000 home?

Staging in general - remove more than half your "stuff" - clothes in closets, stuff on shelves, books, kitchen stuff. Everyone wants to see some things there, but we all have too much stuff and it looks overwhelming. Remove as many personal items as possible - kids drawings, photographs, etc - they want to imagine their own children's faces on the wall, not yours. Fresh fruit or flowers are great, but only if you change them out regularly - wilted flowers and softening fruit are an eyesore. Check for sufficient lighting. Remove some bedroom furniture (a dresser, for example) to give the appearance of more space.

If you are including appliances, expect them to be opened and inspected.  For god's sake, take the laundry out of the washer & dryer if you are including those :cry:, go through the fridge & make sure it smells fresh inside, run the oven clean cycle. Take out the trash before every showing.

For my own opinion, we bought a house that had a maroon/brick red room, and a blue room (we painted over), the carpets all will need to be ripped out & replaced, even though the previous owner replaced them - he used cheapo big box brand carpet that will wear through quickly. I wish he had not repaired some of the tile or any of the electrical - we had to rip that out & replace because it was done incorrectly.

Big turn-offs: Smells (smoke, perfume, animal, musty) Don't cover them up, clean out the space, bleach it, etc. Critical work on walls/structure, damage to the foundation. Bad drainage or obvious water damage in basement walls - that can get ugly and expensive to fix.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-04-08 12:43 PM
Great input, thanks.
We are replacing a shower that had water damage but otherwise all else would be cosmetic changes. Good point on carpet, we would get the cheapest so maybe best to wait and let the new owners decide.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-04-08 9:34 PM
Agree on the bad drainage. This house's yard had been graded incorrectly and we didn't realize it. We wound up using a pump to get the water down the driveway for years. I have since had the yard regraded, expensively so, to make water run around the side of the house and through the front yard to the driveway and out to the street. Cost the earth (literally) but we are so very glad we did it.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-04-09 7:18 PM
We too had bad draininge and the city put in a new draininge system and grading a few years ago and now no more issues luckily.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-04-08 1:00 PM
Mickey has good advice.  It definitely makes sense to figure out your "target" audience because you're definitely not going to be able to please everyone.  I have never bought or sold a house, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I would say to keep in mind that your overall goal is to make improvements that will net you more money.  Spending $500 on painting to get $5000 more for the house is worthwhile; $500 on painting for $500 increase in purchase price is not worthwhile.  I'm the type of person/potential buyer who would not be at all bothered by paint colors that aren't my taste because that's an easy fix.  Unless I was looking for a fixer-upper [i.e. expecting a deal], I would be looking for a house that looks clean and well-maintained.  Smaller maintenance issues you might not notice on your own house (rotten trim on the exterior of the house, bushes that need to be pruned, mold in the shower, etc) are the kind of thing a prospective buyer might take as a sign that larger maintenance issues might have been ignored as well.  Obviously if there are any big maintenance issues, those should be taken care of as well.

As for some of the stuff you asked about, I would tend toward not replacing the carpet, but would steam clean it.  I would definitely declutter and depersonalize, as that can be done for free and you'll be packing up the stuff anyway when you move.  If your house is seriously overcrowded or cramped-feeling, it might be worth renting a storage unit so you can move out some of the furniture and extra stuff that makes the house feel smaller than it is.  If the kitchen looks pretty good overall but has dated hardware, changing cabinet pulls might be easy and fairly inexpensive.  You can look on eBay and probably find a lot of 20 pulls (or whatever you need) fairly inexpensively.  That said, if the kitchen is just overall dated and new pulls won't make much difference, I wouldn't bother.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-04-08 7:37 PM
The kitchen is pretty basic not outdated except the ugly pulls, I did find some on Amazon for a decent price.
We are planning to get a storage unit to store some boxes and furniture as we declutter.
I'm not bothered by paint colors either as a buyer so this one always gets me, paint is easy to change. I think we are compromising and painting some main floor rooms, entry that shows marks and wear but skipping the bedrooms.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2018-04-08 4:40 PM Edited 2018-04-08 4:43 PM
You've already gotten some good advice, but here's my two cents. Above all else, declutter and depersonalize. Buyers want to envision their family and their stuff in the house. Take care of all the little maintenance issues, as buyers will view small issues as indicative of the likelihood of larger issues. Remember the first impression starts at the curb, so pay close attention to the front of the house. Once it gets nice outside make sure you stage he outside as well as the inside.

Literally remove half or more of your stuff as you declutter (including closets and drawers), as it will make your rooms seem larger. If needed, you can rent staging pieces if your own furniture doesn't show rooms in the best light. With regard to paint, I would do it. You want to appeal to the most buyers as possible. People who like bold color are likely to be OK with the idea of painting to their taste, whereas people who like simple and neutral have more problems looking past the color. A freshly painted house also looks cleaner, as even the walls in well-maintained houses tend to have some scuffs or nicks. As for the carpet, it depends. Is your current carpet excessively worn, dated, or does it smell? Is it neutral? The answers to these questions will help guide you in this decision. If you do decide to keep what you have, have it professionally cleaned. Cabinet pulls, again it depends. It is a fairly inexpensive way to update the space if the current hardware is dated. The same goes for light fixtures and plumbing fixtures. Don't do them "just because", but it is a fairly inexpensive way to really add an updated focal point if the space needs one.

I'm curious about your realtor's desire for beige. I thought the current "in" neutral color was grey.

This is probably obvious, but remove evidence of pets during showings - take the dogs, kennels, dishes, etc. with you when buyers are viewing the house. Also be mindful of what you cook while your house is on the market. Bread and chocolate chip cookies are OK, the lingering smell of fish or curries may turn some people off.

The don't know about your side of the cities, but over where I live houses in the entry and mid-level range are selling really fast!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-04-08 7:33 PM
Mother Nature needs to start cooperating so we can work on a few outside things and this would make packing away stuff easier too. I'd love to just pack all winter clothes, gear, etc but we still need it :meh:
She says beige is a blank palette plus our current carpet is a basic beige.
Our neighbor who basically has the same house sold in 2 days so hoping for the same and that putting a little work in that we will get more $ back.
I love the idea of cookies, guess I have an excuse to bake : pbbt:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-09 11:04 AM
We just sold our rental house and the realtor had us repaint the entire house in a pale "grey".  It looked great.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-04-08 6:58 PM
As first time home buyers we wanted everything to be functional, and we would upgrade over time. The house was empty when we toured, and that is my preference, but if you are living there, hard to do.

I'd rather paint my own walls, and liked some of the places with bright colors.  The things that really got me most were the things I couldn't change, like a ceiling too low to stand up on the stairs, or a kitchen too small for a modern fridge (It was in the "mud room" just outside the kitchen). Really wild stencils, or bad wall paper (there was one place with zebra print wall paper in one room and leopard in another) are a turn off, as they would take a long time to change. Around here many houses are getting multiple offers on the first day, often for 100k over ask, so I'm not sure you'd do much here to sell a house. But in your city things may not be the same.

I'd feel bad if someone put in new carpet and I needed to remove it in the first year or two due to different tastes, it would seem wasteful. But I may not be typical with that.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-04-08 7:40 PM
Agree on the things that can't change are bigger points. That is some crazy wallpaper! Our first house had clown wallpaper in one of the rooms! Luckily it was super easy to remove, I think that was the first thing we did!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-04-08 9:32 PM
I haven't bought a house in a long time, however:
Important to us was the price. We figured paint was cheap and we could do that at our leisure. 27 years later all the wallpaper was off the walls. We still have one room that needs the popcorn scraped off the ceiling and the carpet replaced with laminate.

New paint throughout  the house would not have been a big selling point to me, especially if it was boring off white.

New cabinet hardware would not have been a big thing either.

New appliances would have helped, but if we had been moving in with appliances that would not have been a big thing. Are you taking them with you or leaving them for the buyer?

I would have liked a new roof. Our house was 13 years old and had the original roof, which was a horrible fire and termite hazard (cedar shake). Took another 24 years before I could afford to replace it.

Carpeting -- I'd rather have a carpet allowance and pick my own. Or have something other than carpet.

CLEAN. That was a big thing. We turned down one house because every wall had crayon scribblings on it, another because the sellers had been very heavy smokers. When you think at first that there's an ombre paint effect on the walls, brown at the top fading to very light tan at the bottom, and then you realize that that's not paint, that's smoke residue, and you catch a whiff of the drywall and the carpet, thanks, not interested. A third was a real mess and that was a turnoff, then the inspection reported that their bad housekeeping went along with neglect of more fundamental aspects of home maintenance. But we were already not thrilled. If they can't even be bothered to pick up the dirty underwear off the floor when they know a place is being shown, they probably can't be bothered to fix a dripping tap or replace a broken window either.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-04-09 8:30 AM
Smoke is incredibly difficult to remove from drywall. We simply walked out of a few showings because of that. I wish it was on the listing, so we wouldn't even bother wasting everyone's time.

Is there any "non disaster" way to remove popcorn?  I'm annoyed we didn't do that before moving anything into the new home, but I don't want to do it now, either.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-04-09 10:10 PM
If the room isn't carpeted, popcorn isn't difficult. Spread tarp or paper or plastic. Take squirt bottle and scraper. Fill squirt bottle with water. Saturate popcorn and scrape. Once it's all down, pick up the floor covering and throw away, put down new covering, paint. If the room is carpeted you have to take more care not to cover the carpet with popcorn scrapings.

Our house looks so much roomier and tidier since we took down the popcorn. Horrid stuff.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-04-11 8:38 AM
You give me hope!

It's not carpeted, except an open stairway to the basement (easily sealed off if necessary).  it's also really "open" a giant entryway/livingroom/diningroom/public space/wetbar/weirdness open concept room.  With high ceilings

I'm thinking I may be able to do this in sections - also, someone showed me a shop vac wide nozzle that they taped a scraper onto, creating a collection system that reduced what falls to the floor.  Probably need to create some sort of scaffold, because i'm not about to work on a 12 foot ladder, climb up, scrape, move a few feet over, lather, rinse, repeat. My only dread is that this will take days of effort, and it all has to be done together.  Perhaps next winter's project.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-04-11 10:08 PM
It took us a couple of hours to do each area -- we did it one room at a time. Living room is about 12 x 20, kitchen the same. And it's a vaulted ceiling so we did have to use ladders.

You can rent scaffolding.

Painting it took longer than scraping it off. With generous applications of water it comes off fast.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-04-12 12:18 PM
your popcorn must have been different than mine.  Ours was stucco or concrete or something and it was a MASSIVE job to remove it.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-04-12 9:00 PM
Ours was Styrofoam bits mixed with drywall mud. Easy to remove. Fortunately not with glitter mixed in like some of the houses from the late 1960s -- that was considered the height of sophistication, especially when paired with gold speckled mirror wall tiles.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-04-13 8:41 AM
:shocker!: Glitter!!  :cry:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-04-14 9:13 PM
I kid you not. Styrofoam bits mixed with iridescent plastic glitter pieces, all mixed with drywall mud, or the styro/mud mixture sprayed onto ceilings and then glitter bits puffed on like sprinkles on a cupcake.

In 7th grade I had a friend whose house had that type of popcorn and I thought it was sooooo sophisticated. Couldn't understand why my parents hadn't opted for the same treatment.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-04-09 7:23 PM
Crayon on walls :shocker!: the smoke smell would bother me!
I agree with you on the paint, we are giving in to some paint for rooms on main floor

We are leaving appliances which are about 2 years old.
Our roof is getting done, finally, after storm damage last summer.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-04-11 10:09 PM
2 year old appliances would be a plus in my book. How old is the heating/cooling system?
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-04-12 6:35 AM
Can't remember exact dates on those but replaced sometime since O was born, guessing within 5 years. So another plus. If this weather continues how it currently is with snowstorms we may not even need A/C again! :cry:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-04-12 9:00 PM
I tend to use the forum to find out when we did something, because I usually share or vent!
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-04-13 7:43 AM
newer appliances, HVAC, and a new roof would be good selling points
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-04-13 9:53 AM
Yes, or on the other hand, a credit for those things (so decrease to the purchase price after inspection etc.) so that the new owners can choose to their preferences. I did that with my current home as many things were just at that replacement point and rather than have the sellers make the fixes/purchases, I negotiated credits and after getting possession just had it done myself. That way I could be more assured that the work was done the way I wanted, not just thrown off on the way out of the house in order to get it to sell.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-04-13 6:07 PM
Is be ok with that with paint or flooring. But stuff like a roof or HVAC I’m happy to have already done and just a few years old myself
- - By Annie Date 2018-04-13 10:07 AM
When we were looking at houses our biggest criteria was that the house was sound with no big issues such as roof leaks or water getting into the basement. We weren't overly concerned with cosmetic things because we planned to decorate and upgrade overtime. We preferred that cosmetic things weren't done because we wouldn't want to rip out or redo something that was just done but not to our tastes. It would be wasteful to rip out new carpet to install hardwood.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-04-13 10:32 AM
Yes to making sure that the basics of the house are sound, and doing the other stuff once installed in the home. I did that with much of the house I'm currently in.
Up Topic Communities / Women / House selling? NRR