Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Saturday dailies
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-07 12:26 PM
The windchill was 4* this morning so I waited for it to “warm up” to go for a run. It’s still in the 20s but at least the wind has died down some. 5.2 miles.
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-04-07 1:24 PM
16.5 miles

116¢ (42 coins)

Inov8 220
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-07 1:51 PM
42 coins? Wow!
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-04-07 2:22 PM
Thanks to The Beard for his suggestion that I check fast food drive through lanes I found 11 at a Taco Bell and 11 at KFC. Taco Bell was far better in that I found 48¢ compared to 11¢ at KFC.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 5:26 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to try the drive through window.  I occasionally run an out and back to a Burger King :mischief:

Twice this week though, I have found a single dime, which I always take to be a sign from my mom :hug:  I know it's silly, but I don't care.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-07 9:39 PM
:cool:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-07 2:12 PM
did you clank by the end? :wtf: how do you carry these?
Parent - By IB Date 2018-04-07 2:21 PM
It was very noisy in the last few miles. I carry a handheld bottle that has a zipper pouch I put them in.
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-04-07 2:53 PM
10.2 miles today

Got a call from AT&T at 8:30 this morning tell me my Internet was finally fixed.  The think the guy on the phone said "It was broke.  I fixed it".  And indeed, the connection is finally fixed.  I'm pretty this guy had previously wired me into the wrong circuit, but whatever the case, all seems to work fine again.

Our "major rain event" went into competition with the sun today - the sun so far has won.  How can weathermen still be so wrong?
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 5:22 PM
Sometimes you reach the point where ya' don't even want to know any more details.  Just make it work!! 

Do you need the rainfall?  I think I would be glad the sun won the "major event," but that's just me :wink:
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-04-08 1:04 PM
We are technically behind on average water fall (rain+snow), but not too bad - at 85% of normal or something close to that.

The rain causes faster runoff from the snowpack than is desired, but hopefully the Sierra runoff (outside of the Tahoe Basin) gets caught in damns.  Lake Tahoe is almost full.  The legal limit of 6229.1 feet and we are currently at 6228.75 feet, so they are dumping water out of the lake about as fast as they can as the lake has to be able to hold the rest of the snow as it melts.  Lake Tahoe has only a single outlet and the water flows over to Nevada,  through Reno, and into Pyramid Lake, which has no outlet.  Why we have California water restrictions here is kind of a mystery, since none of our water flows into California.

Before the past few years, it would be rare for us to get a rain storm - period.  We'd get all of our moisture in the form of snow and not a drop over the Spring/Summer/Fall.  The past few years have changed and we do get a few good thunderstorms in the warmer weather now.

When the ground starts to dry out here, the bark beetles and other such things cause a lot of damage in a hurry - not to mention the threat of fire.  Lots of forest thinning to try and remove the dead beetle killed trees and to try and get stuff off the forest floor.  Much of the Tahoe Basin was cut down during the sliver rush in Nevada, so most of the trees are the same age and same size and are all vying for space for survival.  That means that most are not yet large enough to be able to sustain damage from fire or pests and the thinning is supposed to help play God and determine which trees will be the survivors.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 5:23 PM
April is not the time to be using the word "windchill."  :sad:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-07 9:39 PM
I know. :cry:
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-04-07 5:51 PM
11.3 miles with 8x 2ish minute hills. Cold and windy, which didn't really help matters. Good workout though!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:23 PM
When 20 degrees is warm up, that's sad. :sad:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-04-07 12:37 PM
Oh Beardy, come on, you can do better than that. Ask everyone a question or two, or tell us about your training for the upcoming cheddar cheese toss (but Star Wars and cars are off-limits)

7.8 miles this morning. I’m a bit concerned. Legs still a bit tired from last weekend’s 15-miler and the 20-miler 5 days earlier. I’m hoping I didn’t overtrain. Taper this week will hopefully give everything time to recharge.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-07 12:45 PM
Cheddar cheese toss.......I want to do a cheddar cheese toss!!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-04-07 4:41 PM
Taper madness takes so many forms, but "I've overtrained" is not one I've often seen or encountered.  Usually the anxiety goes the other way. :laugh::hug:  Get lots of rest this week!  Don't let your kids run you ragged!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 5:19 PM
If it's any comfort, I'm wondering the same thing.  Let's just rest and hope :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:23 PM
I hope your taper recharges you.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-07 12:43 PM
Over a 40 degree drop in temps here today and crazy, 20 mph Texas wind for my half marathon. It was 41 at the start and 37 when I finished.....no idea what the wind chill was, but basically it sucked. I wasn't racing, just used it as a training run and expected a 2:05 time. I finished in 2:08 (inclusive of a pit stop), so it went about as expected. When I have to run into wind like that, I always think I need to stop cursing my boxing trainer for making me plank endlessly and do four hundred billion push-ups a week. Nothing minimizes the wind more than strong upper body and core!

My sister attempted her second marathon today.....just five weeks after her first. She dropped at the half and learned the most important lesson of marathoning........Respect The Distance.  She barely trained over the past month. That coupled with crappy conditions made her decision to "settle" for a half, the best choice today.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-07 2:19 PM
nice job getting it done!

i love it when a new runner then starts saying "just" a half. :happy::cool:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-04-07 4:39 PM
Wow, that is crazy weather!  Being pretty much at your goal time, in that kind of wind, is a strong result. 

I think every runner has to go through the lesson of learning to respect the distance - I sure did, with some of my early races.  :cry:  But completing a half is still an accomplishment.  :happy:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 4:49 PM
I was gonna say.....I tried your sister's strategy once and uh, passed out in church the next day :shocker!:  A bunch of people thought it was some spiritual thing :roll:  Definitely wasn't

I'm glad she showed good sense and will now be able to enjoy her time with you
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-04-07 6:17 PM
The marathon can be very humbling.   Nice job in the wind !   I would rather run hills than run in the wind.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:22 PM
I think a lot of people think they can finesse things. A marathon is not one of those things.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:40 PM
Crazy weather!:meh: It's good temps if there's no wind, but with that bone-chilling wind I never feel warmed up.
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-07 2:17 PM
8.4 miles. supposed to be 20. :meh:

it was pouring and windy and i was going so slowly (ahem walking) that i got really cold. legs still pretty dead from tempo run thursday evidently. :roll: i bailed at 8 and plan on a long run tomorrow when it's supposed to be ...wait for it... pouring and rainy. :mutmad:

we are having dinner at Dh's parents house with our neighbors. :laugh: we really love our neighbors. :hug: and the inlaws too of course. : pbbt: of course we are cooking most of the food, dh went down there yesterday and did a lot of cleaning because dh's parents really can't handle that sort of thing.  I"m also making a quinoa tabuleh salad as a supplemental dish that i said i just wanted to "test" because you just never know what kind of main dish his mom will make. :shocker!: there will be wine! :grin:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-07 4:20 PM
Does his mom make weird? Awful? Unhealthy? Stuff?
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-07 4:25 PM
super bland and always overcooked. sometimes things are spiced but with sugar as near as i can tell because they tend to taste sweet. :wtf: i will eat some to be polite of course. she steams giant entire trees of broccoli and eats a lot of salads.

now the amusing thing is that dh's dad was on the blood thinner that meant he had to be careful with greens. he took that to mean he should never eat a veggie ever. Now that he's on a different blood thinner, the diet restrictions are not there. now he just doesn't eat any veggies because evidently he hates them all. :roll::laugh: and that's probably because he won't cook and she doesn't seem to know how to cook veggies.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-04-07 4:37 PM
Hope your quinoa salad turns out, at least!  My MIL seems to be losing her sense of taste lately - there have been some weird flavours in the meals I've had there in the last little while.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-07 4:40 PM
it seems very tasty so far!

hmm. i hadn't thought of that. my mom has said that her tastes have changed a bit too. sadly, mother in law has always cooked like this though. when we'd visit them when they lived in NM, i eventually got to the point that we only dined out. :blush: we used the excuse that we really could only get New mexican food there so it didn't seem like we were avoiding her cooking...
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-04-07 6:12 PM
:laugh::hug:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-04-07 6:27 PM
My MIL cooked the bejeebers out of canned vegetables.  DH has been surprised to discover that some veggies taste good!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 5:17 PM
Good luck with that 20 miler and the dinner, too.  My mom was a wonderful person and loved to have people over for dinner but she really wasn't a very good cook  Good side dishes and good wine are the key to a successful evening  !!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:21 PM
I always kept a back up meal ready at home when I went to some of my in laws for dinners. I am not a picky eater, but some of their flavor combinations are not my thing.
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-04-07 3:43 PM
Happy Saturday,

3 miles easy.   Snowed last night here but the sun came out and it warmed up pretty nicely for the afternoon.   Still a cold wind though - can't seem to get a run in without that lately.

8 hours driving tomorrow back and forth to Halifax so probably no running but may do some stretching/body weight workout workout in the evening.   Hoping for a long run Monday.

Have a good weekend everyone !
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-07 4:20 PM
Drive safely!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-04-07 4:36 PM
Hope you can get in a workout tomorrow.  That is a lot of driving for one day.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 4:52 PM
Hope the miles go quickly!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:19 PM
That wind makes everything harder.  I hope you get to run on Monday.
- - By skigirl Date 2018-04-07 4:32 PM Edited 2018-04-07 4:35 PM
Still the middle of winter here, apparently.  : pbbt:  An hour of xc skiing this afternoon. Still well below freezing and there was a nasty wind.  Was aiming to get in a walk after supper but DH just informed me that we are watching the Blue Jays game tonight so my plan may be foiled.  : pbbt: 

It is weird to have January-like weather with such long days - I went out walking the other day and at almost 9:00 pm there was still lingering twilight.  :shocker!:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-04-07 4:41 PM
i was thinking the same thing about how much more light there is all of a sudden! it's unusually to have a wind storm and not have it be dark outside. :wtf:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 4:52 PM
Do the Blue Jays play in an indoor stadium or is it an away game?
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-04-07 4:58 PM
It's an away game (they're in Texas) but either way we'd be watching it on TV - the Blue Jays are "our" team because they're the only Canadian MLB team, but they're in Toronto and we're in Alberta, which is two time zones and a lot of miles away!  :laugh:  DH and DD did go to Toronto in 2014 for a Blue Jay weekend - I had enough points to fly both of them there and we made it DD's birthday present.  They had such a good time.  :cool:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 5:14 PM
Oh fun.  Sadly, I don't think it's much warmer here in Texas this weekend.  That's pretty cool you flew them to a Blue Jays game :cool:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-04-07 6:11 PM
It looks seriously cold in Arlington - the ball players are all bundled up in woolly hats and neck tubes!  :laugh::shocker!:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:32 PM
Of course, Texans are not famous for their resilience to cold.  That's why we live in Texas :wink:
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-04-07 6:14 PM
Nice gift !  Toronto is a great city.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:18 PM
I think the sunlight makes things more tolerable. That said, I am ready for some 60 degree days.
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 5:12 PM
Four funky miles this morning.  It was a little cooler and pleasant, but effort felt kind of forced and frustrating.  Tomorrow will definitely be a day off!!

I had a couple of things I had considered attending today, but decided instead to lay low and rest.  Did some annoying household chores.   Later in the afternoon, I was taking it easy, working a puzzle when I reached up to scratch my head and felt "something."  :shocker!:   The third neighbor I tried to contact was home, and she pulled a dang tick out of my scalp :wtf:  I'm not sure how it got me.  I showered, washed and blow-dried my hair both yesterday and today, so what the hell?  I suppose it hitched a ride from the state park where I ran yesterday -- and have run regularly for the past five years without incident : pbbt:.  My neighbor is a nurse and removed it intact.  It was attached but not engorged.  I now have it crawling around in a ziplock bag.  Euwww.  I took a preventative dose of doxycycline.  Hopefully that will be all I need.  Taper madness indeed.   I worry about bad weather, twisting my ankle, wrenching my back or catching a cold.  I never considered the possibility of a tick bite :mutmad:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-04-07 6:12 PM
:shocker!::shocker!::shocker!:  My goodness.  Thank heavens for a neighbour who knew how to remove it intact!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:17 PM
I lived a few years in SC and ticks were a regular thing. We didn't know about diseases but they really creeped me out-the little blood suckers. :mutmad:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-04-07 6:26 PM
:cry:  I hate ticks.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:44 PM
Ticks.:cry: I'm glad your neighbor got the whole thing off! Pulling just 1/2 off would have really freaked you out!
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:16 PM
It was cold, but I started early and managed 10 with some of my running friends from the Saturday group. It was hilly and some spring construction left the pavement in the park where we run uneven, but I managed a good pace for the whole run. 

I also came back home afterwards and had very good nap.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 6:35 PM
I also came back home afterwards and had a very good and well-earned nap  -- fixed that for ya' :laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-07 8:53 PM
Auto fill is a mixed blessing.
- - By SRoo Date 2018-04-07 6:26 PM
Lifted weights, went to a book signing, walked the dog, wrote an exam.

The dog waited until I was doing TRX side planks before pouncing.  I think that adds a bit of a balance challenge to the exercise.  : pbbt:  We are going to do some jumping exercises tonight, and I will try to up the difficulty level just because she is a pain. :mischief: 

The bike club is riding tomorrow, but I can't get enthused about the weather.  I think they are planning to do a mile for every Fahrenheit degree--I don't think 37 at 37 sounds fun, but then again 60 at 60 would be daunting at this time of the year.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 7:17 PM
Riding a bike in 37 degrees Fahrenheit?   How about a nice run instead?  With the dog perhaps?  :genius:
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-04-07 7:26 PM
Stuff hurts when I run.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-04-07 7:33 PM
:cry:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-08 5:00 AM
Whose crazy idea was this?
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-04-08 9:09 AM
Well, not mine!  I'm not gonna participate.  The length of the ride keeps getting shorter--I think they will only do 31 miles.  :cry:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-08 10:06 AM
:laugh:
- - By old turtle Date 2018-04-08 8:03 AM
13.25 in Umstead Park where I met up with cowboyjunkie for one 12.5  loop of her 100 mile run. The extra .75 was from where I parked to race headquarters. Cowboyjunkie is a trooper. My fingers were numb after one loop in wet cold gloves. I needed help to turn off my head lamp. And yet, cowboyjunkie was going to continue.in a 36 degree drizzle.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-04-08 8:20 AM
Cowboyjunkie rocks! Good of you to support her for a loop.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-04-08 10:32 AM
:shocker!:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-08 12:06 PM
Way to be an athletic supporter!
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2018-04-08 12:24 PM
:cool: I’m sure CBJ enjoyed the company.
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-04-08 12:37 PM
I enjoyed hers. :happy:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Saturday dailies