Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / April Book Club
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-02 7:16 AM
I'm about 270 pages into the sixth Dark Tower book, Song of Susannah. I still find the whole Susannah/Odetta/Mia portions to be annoying but I forgot how good the rest is. I'm enjoying the portions with Roland, Eddy and John Cullum quite a bit.
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-04-02 8:28 AM
Finishing Pre: The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend. It's a quick read and really just gives quick recaps of most of his races.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-04-03 3:51 PM
I also found lots to like in that book upon returning to it. :happy:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-05 2:02 PM
I finished it last night. I liked it overall this time but I think that a lot of that had to do with how much I remember disliking it in the past. The whole "chap" story line is weak. Really weak.

I'm taking a little bit of a break but will be back for the final book soon.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-09 1:15 PM
So much for taking a break. I'm about 100 pages into The Dark Tower.

The Mordred nonsense lies ahead but at least the Mia/Susannah/chap story line is out of the way.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-17 2:12 PM
Roland, Susannah and Oy have just met Joe Collins on Odd Lane. Only about 200 pages left.
Parent - - By oitsubob [us] Date 2018-04-05 11:15 AM
Just finished reading "Dresden: Tuesday, February 13, 1945" by Frederick Taylor. He goes through the attack on Dresden during World War II and debunks many of the myths associated with the bombing that came out in the aftermath and through the 1980s. Quite enlightening.
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-05 11:42 AM
I just visited Dresden last summer.  It is such an extraordinarily beautiful city now.  Perhaps I should read the book.
Parent - By oitsubob [us] Date 2018-04-05 11:51 AM
It is interesting. Another one that is really good and goes into detail as to what historic architecture, artwork etc. was lost in Germany as a result of bombing during WW2 is "The Fire" by Jorg Friedrich.
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-04-10 11:45 AM
Pure Land about a murder in the grand canyon in the 2000s. So far it's interesting.
- - By h3ather (Nice Tips) Date 2018-04-02 10:23 PM
Finished I'll be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara.  It was really good, albeit unsatisfying because the killer has still not been found (which is not a spoiler).

About 1/5ish of the way through The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O by Neal Stephenson, Nicole Galland, which is completely different, but I'm really liking it.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-04-03 3:53 PM
I've got that Golden State Killer book in my list.  Looking forward to it.

If you like the true crime genre, there's this podcast called Criminology you might enjoy.  Season 1 is all about the Zodiac Killer.  Season 2 is the East Bay Area Rapist.  I haven't listened yet but have been meaning to.
Parent - By h3ather (Nice Tips) Date 2018-04-05 10:00 AM
we were in orlando last year and heading to visit a friend who lived about an hour away and found a radio station that was playing true crime episodes of various murders. one was about a woman who had killed several husbands with rat poisoning (very Flowers in the Attic) and another about a son who killed his whole family, but made it look like they were robbed.  we were riveted. we didn't want to get out of the car when we arrived. :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-05 11:57 AM
I just added that podcast to my queue.....thanks!!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-05 2:54 PM
Added Criminology to my podcast rotation! Already 3 episodes into season 1. Thanks!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-10 10:47 AM
I listened to first episode of Season One of Criminology and love it!  They are VERY good podcasters......able to give a ton of detail and information in a manner which does not lose the listener.  My husband and I have a long road trip this weekend, so I told him to listen to the first episode before we leave.  That way, we have something to keep us entertained while driving and we don't have to talk to each other!:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-04-10 11:15 AM
I'm on episode 5 or 6 now, it's really easy to listen to!
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-04-10 11:20 AM
I'm glad you like it!  I started listening too and am enjoying it.  Have you seen the David Fincher film Zodiak?  It's a terrific movie.  I keep thinking of it, since that's the case they are following in the first season of the podcast.
- By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-03 6:32 AM
Still reading A Personal History by Kathrine Graham. Up to where Johnson is president, maybe 3/4 of the way through. She's kind of coming into her own now running the Post and Newsweek and some broadcast stations. Some really interesting stories about Johnson and the Kennedy assassination.

I picked up Ann Patchett's The Magicians Assistant for the plane. Didn't want to drag a big book with me.
- - By jennyO Date 2018-04-03 3:50 PM
Finished David Mitchell's Ghostwritten, which was very well done.  Hard to believe it was his first novel! 

Quick read of Alex Marston's The Wicked Girls, which I picked up half-price at an airport bookstore on our way to visit SNF's mom.  Turned out to be a great read!  Nice modern-day English mystery, a bit more literary than you typically find in the genre.  I'm now listening to her The Killer Next Door, which is also quite good so far.  I'm psyched to have found a new fun/easy author.  Bonus: she actually responded to a Facebook comment I left on one of her posts, and she liked a tweet of mine that mentioned her! :shocker!::grin:

Also finished listening to The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine.  It was good fun although I think I've now hit my quota of stories about the rich and beautiful couple have a terrible dark secret, which is that he's controlling and abusive, and really you should be happy with your boring paycheck-to-paycheck life because things could be a lot worse, even if you lived in a Park Avenue penthouse. :blush:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-05 11:40 AM
re the Last Mrs. Parrish :laugh::laugh::laugh: 

can you really be too thin or read too many books about abusive and controlling rich husbands? : pbbt:
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-04-05 12:25 PM
:laugh::laugh:  I blew through several of them in the last month, so maybe not!
- - By jennyO Date 2018-04-09 1:42 PM
Finished Stop Drifting and Start Rowing, a book by the first (only?) woman to row solo across the Pacific Ocean.  It was a little disappointing because she didn't really get into the spiritual/mental side of the adventure.  There wasn't even a whole lot about the logistics.  It's quite an amazing accomplishment, but I still have no idea what the day-to-day of it would have been like.

Now into a book called Thru Hiking Will Break Your Heart.  I guess I really wanted to scratch that itch to hear about someone's arduous, all-encompassing adventure (this is about a thru-hike of the Pacific Crest Trail).  This book is giving me those kind of nitty gritty details, although maybe it errs too much in that direction.  It's self-published, and reads pretty much like this girl's daily trail diary.  Still, it's feeding my desire to do a long thru-hike someday.  (Because I have a job and bills and responsibilities, though, it'll have to be the JMT and not the PCT.)

Listening to another Alex Marston book, called The Killer Next Door.  It's good stuff!
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-12 10:01 AM
I never had a desire to thru hike the PCT or AT until reading Wild.  I always thought I'd take up backpacking after running had run its course, but it doesn't appear I'm "there" yet.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-04-12 10:55 AM
I had kind of thought the same, but am starting to think I should go before my body becomes incapable of it.  Hiking through mountains with a 30-pound pack is no joke!
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-12 12:00 PM
True, and the trails are only getting more populated each year, with all the good and bad that brings.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-12 2:21 PM
Blazerboy had to carry a 30 pound pack when did a 12 day, 11 night, 80 mile-ish hiking trek at Philmont....a Boy Scout Ranch in the NM mountains when he was 14 yo.  They picked up additional food and water every three days at an outpost. The boys trained HARD for 18 months.  He left a boy and came home a man.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-04-13 11:10 AM
:hug:
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-04-12 10:56 AM
Taking a break from the Thru-Hiking book to read some literature.  George Saunders's stories in In Persuasion Nation. :cool:
- By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-04-10 6:41 AM
A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town by Barry Siegel

White Bear Lake is a town in Minnesota not far from me. When I originally bought this e-book I thought it was new but it turns out it was published in 1990. In 1988 a mother who gave her son up for adoption in the 1960s looks for him but finds out he died at the age of 3 under suspicious circumstances and no one was ever charged. It was a good book but I was expecting a quick crime read and this thing was a slog at like 600 pages. Went way in depth on other things (the town winning an award and a flood of St. Paul for instance) and the subject matter (beating and killing of a 3 year old) was really hard to read.
- By moonglow9 Date 2018-04-10 3:03 PM
Recently finished:

The Newcomers by Helen Thorpe. Very detailed and interesting to consider, both from a perspective of how to teach students with different language backgrounds and the process of communication.

The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone. Found it interesting, but it seemed to gloss over the details of the code dissection and the work itself and focused more on her interactions with others in that occupation.

One Kiss or Two: The Art and Science of Saying Hello by Andy Scott - interesting to me because I have less than zero social skills or inclinations. The process of greetings and what unspoken/spoken choices convey...

Something Wonderful by Todd Purdum - joint biography of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein, self explanatory standard bio.

The Hemingses of Monticello by Annette Gordon-Reed - 4-5 generations of the Hemings family and the relationships between them. Well researched.

The Mayflower: The Families, the Voyage.... by Rebecca Fraser. A slightly different take, following the settlement and its neighbours over about 70 years.

The Taste of Empire: How Britain's Quest for Food Shaped the Modern World by Lizzie Collingham. Economics, trade, agriculture, climate, and politics from about 1400-1950s told through the vehicle of the food trade. Enjoyed the different approach and had good substance.
- By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-04-13 12:33 PM
I put aside A Personal History and picked up The Majician's Assistant by Ann Patchett for the trip to NC. Very good! I still think Bel Canto is my favorite of hers, but this might be second.
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-04-17 2:18 PM
Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan. A young New York Post reporter suddenly starts having physical and psychological issues out of nowhere. This is her memoir about what happened to her and how it was solved. Would have been better as a long form magazine article or something. 2/5
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-18 3:19 AM Edited 2018-04-18 3:24 AM
I remember hearing a review about this, probably on NPR.  I'm tempted by stuff like this.
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-04-18 1:23 PM
Cat Profiles by Haruki Murakami--must read for all his fans
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-18 1:38 PM
Thank you for sharing this :cool::cool:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-18 3:19 PM
That’s amazing. :laugh:
- By Tommeke Date 2018-04-20 9:40 AM
Hawking: A History Of Time. Really liked the book. The first part (about 100-120 pages) is probably more informative than the second part. Most of the information is really conveyed in the first part, whereas the second part is more like theoretical musing or re-hashing the theories explained the first chapters. Also really enjoyed the small alternative synopsis at the end of the book of the biggest historical physicists ( Newton, Einstein, ... ).

Murakami: Killing Commendatore. Finally managed to finish the second book (it's a two part story), which also was 530 pages, for a grand total of +1000 pages. Murakami kind of re-hashes a lot of concepts he uses in his other novels in this one. I don't mind if he does this for his more romantic (and slightly shorter) novels, but me not being a fan of +1000 pages books, would rather see these stories to be either shorter or at least a bit more original.
Read the Dutch translation, I think the English translation will come out in Sept/Nov 2018 :wtf: And it's not going to be by Rubin.

And now it's back to Vonnegut with Mother Night :cool:
- By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) [us] Date 2018-04-20 3:14 PM
Just finished Pure Land so now starting Marathonby Brian Freeman which is about a bombing of the Duluth Marathon in June and the aftermath. It's in a world where the Boston bombing already happened. It seems to be a fictionalized story of the Boston Marathon Bombing. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / April Book Club