Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / March On Weekend RR/NRR
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-24 9:57 PM
Last full weekend of March...no foolin'.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-24 10:02 PM
Haven't been here due to work craziness. I just finished the notes and quiz for the penultimate chapter of the class I'm teaching for the first time this semester. Fascinating topic, risk financing.

RR: 3 miles with friend this morning, then 3 miles solo this afternoon. I definitely run better in the mornning.

NRR: Work. Class assignments. Grading quizzes. This (semester) too shall pass.

And I got an email from Verizon advising we are down to 25% of our data. Forwarded it to my offspring who are driving to DD's new city. Got back a text saying "we can't help it, we have to keep the GPS on!" Oh, children. There is this wonderful device called a "map". Pick it up at any AAA office. Or at a gas station. You don't need to have Google or Waze on all the time when you are driving TWELVE HUNDRED MILES. Chances are that if you are headed to a city the size of Portland (where they stayed last night) the highway signs will point you in the right direction and tell you how far you have left to go.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-03-25 6:30 AM
There are many benefits to map reading. A GPS sent cars down the same RR track on two consecutive nights here last year. No injuries to people but the second night the car was "trained". People stop using their brains and can get killed.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-03-25 9:35 AM
I've been told that GPS doesn't use much data.  Are they doing things like streaming music while they drive?  I like to keep Google Maps running a lot of times if I'm driving, even if I don't need directions per se, because it shows traffic.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2018-03-25 10:24 AM
This.  I have mine on a lot for traffic and because I don't know the areas I'm driving well enough to take spontaneous detours when traffic is a problem. I've never had an issue with data consumption
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-25 5:47 PM
Probably this is closer to the truth than "we need the GPS while driving". Busted, kids.
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-03-25 10:36 AM
Google Maps allows you to download a map (you can even download over wifi) and then turn off data during the drive (or just set Google Maps to wifi only) so you use $0.00 worth of data during the trip.  GPS tracks where you are on the map, directions all work.  The only thing you miss is the live traffic updates.

It's under the menu - Offline maps.

Especially helpful for saving money when driving around a foreign country where data rates are ginormous.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-03-26 7:03 PM
Thanks for the tip
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-03-25 11:36 AM
Good grief.  You plan ahead, google, print and go!  Only need the GPS if something goes very wrong.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-25 5:48 PM
This -- print step by step directions for when getting close to their destination. Until then, the only thing you might need is a map, which Triple A will thoughtfully provide for free if you go into their office, show the card (for which I pay) and ask.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-03-26 9:15 AM
Ugh.  I am not sure GPS uses minutes, however.  We use  My Data Manager app to keep track of minutes. If everyone on the plan uses it, you set the cap and when it expires and also can set text alerts when someone goes over their daily limit, things like that.  It does a way better job of showing which app is hogging all the data if you are the data hog.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-03-26 11:18 AM
:wtf: I think your offspring are doing other data-heavy things - streaming music, youtube, passenger surfing the internet

My phone (and every phone I'm aware of) uses data for data & GPS for navigation - not data for navigation.  Updates for traffic/gas stations/nearby food/etc can be accessed when the need arises.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-26 5:33 PM
I think so also. DS in particular is a lover of YouTube and funny pictures.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-03-25 9:30 AM
I didn't march yesterday because I had a funeral to attend.

I ran a wet, cold 15.6 miles this morning.  The forecast was 48*F and a 40-50% chance of rain.  It ended up being 42*F, windy, and very wet.  I was slightly underdressed, but it wasn't too awful.  The worst part about getting really cold is the process of warming back up.  Still, I'll take cold and raining over hot and humid any day.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-03-25 3:00 PM
I have tips on warming up if you need them
.. a bath is faster than a shower.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-03-25 4:24 PM
I can warm up, but I have Raynaud's so my hands get painfully cold very easily (I was wearing ski gloves today so my hands stayed dry but still got really cold) and those first couple of minutes in the shower just hurt as my hands thaw out.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-03-26 11:20 AM
:cry::cry:
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-03-26 1:46 PM
:shocker!:

I just found out that my 9yo daughter has Raynaud's.  She now has gloves in every bag and a long sleeved shirt for every thing just in case. She had it so bad two weeks ago she couldn't pick up her soccer bag after practice. It was only 45 degrees. She could barely move her hands and her arms hurt upto her shoulders. It was so horrible watching her get so upset about why her arms and hands weren't working right and not being able to help her. Even after a hot bath her hands were still cold to the touch.
Parent - - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-03-27 5:28 AM
Raynaud's must be awful. I have the opposite, my hands get very hot when I move and I have to take any gloves off, even in freezing temperatures. Very strange and people think I'm crazy.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-03-27 6:44 AM
Ah, so you are one of the people who I wonder how they can be out with bare hands when wearing a coat. :laugh:  When I'm running, I may well be shirtless but wearing gloves!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-03-27 6:47 AM
Try having your issue AND Reynauds. That is NOT fun. I usually need to take my gloves off within a mile or 10 minutes of running. But due to the Reynaud's I can't leave them off so I am constantly putting on and taking off.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-03-27 6:57 AM
I was just thinking this when I read her post. I feel like I have a combo - my hands get really hot pretty quickly but then get really cold and numb and I've had the painful shower thing many times.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-03-27 2:36 PM
I also have the added fun of just not liking the way my hands feel with gloves on. As in it's a really weird sensation to me. I am so weird.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-03-27 7:30 PM
I don’t mind how it feels normally but when my hands start to sweat in gloves it would be a weird tingly feeling
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-03-28 6:22 AM
That's exactly what it feels like. I haven't associated it with my hands starting to sweat but maybe that's what it is.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-03-29 5:54 AM
if I wear gloves on a normal day (like to work, shopping, whatever), I don't have the tingly feeling and it doesn't bother me. But if I were running then within about 10 min of the run I'd have to take my gloves off bc they would already be sweating and the tingly feeling would drive me crazy. Sometimes I'd then tuck my hands into the end of my sleeves if I could.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-03-30 6:52 AM
Ok, that's the difference, even if I'm just walking a leisurely pace (dog walking) I have to remove the gloves after about 5 minutes.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-03-29 6:34 AM
I don't think I've ever had my hands sweat until I'm to the point of having sweat dripping off the rest of my body.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-03-29 6:45 AM
I'm the opposite. I can be freezing and shivering all through the rest of my body, and my hands are dripping. Or my hands are icy cold and the rest of me is normal. Hands seem to be on an independent sensor...
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-03-30 3:30 PM
I'm the same way, but I solve that by carrying extra gloves.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-03-27 10:10 AM
Yep :cry: I almost feel like after the run is worse than during the run.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-03-27 10:11 AM
There is something called "after drop" that we get as swimmers, that I would assume others do when cold in sport.  Your body is moving and circulating blood and keeping you warm, then after, you stop moving and the cold is felt.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-03-29 7:07 AM
Yes! The cold is especially awful when it hits after a warm run.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-25 5:49 PM
That run doesn't sound bad, but the warming up sounds dreadful. Glad you got your escape run in.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-03-25 2:59 PM
Sat water was 46 air was 44. 25 min. Sunday 2 hour synchro work out. We are working on a routine, which is fun!  Now shopping for Passover.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-03-25 4:24 PM
Brr!!!  Glad you're having fun with synchro!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-25 5:49 PM
I do not know how you get in that water. Brrr.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-03-25 6:54 PM
you are seriously bad-ass with those water temps.  I have a hissy if it's below 75.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-03-26 11:21 AM
:cool:  When I lived in Phoenix, no one got in the water unless it was over 100 degrees outside!
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-03-26 12:25 PM
warmer water does make it easier to get in, and get out!!!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-26 5:34 PM
And at that point the water isn't much colder than the air...
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-03-25 5:04 PM
8.2 miles!! :cool: Longest in... wow, awhile. Felt good! Took me awhile to get out there (didn't start until 5 pm... ugh...), but it's done! Next week I try for 9 and then the following week is my "big race" (ha), the 15k.

Didn't march either, because of logistics. But it looked like a great day. So proud of our youth :hug:

and 5 miles yesterday. 25 miles this week! 1st tri exhaustion may be starting to lift... fingers crossed...
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-25 5:51 PM
Nice run! I didn't march either, previous engagement, and rather glad I didn't because the group from church said that the 10 AM start turned into a noon start because of all the speechifying going on. And then they marched about .8 miles. (It's on one of my regular routes so I know the mileage fairly well.) The voices of the crowd were probably drowned out by all the rumbling tummies wanting lunch.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-03-29 8:30 AM
Thanks to all who gave advice on ADHD last week, we are 1 week into medications and seeing some good improvements :happy:

In other news having a debate about whether to add to our current house v move. Making all the pros and cons and waiting on estimates for addition that we are guessing could be a lot. We never planned to stay in our current house forever but now we like the neighborhood and people so it makes it tough to move. DH is finally seeing the things we are missing in our house and agrees we need to look into options.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-03-29 12:25 PM
Location is one of the most difficult features of a house to change, so it definitely seems worthwhile to look into making your current house work for you (and also look at other homes available in the area).  Good luck!
Up Topic Communities / Women / March On Weekend RR/NRR