Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / To Tuesday and Beyond NRR
- - By kelly_v Date 2018-03-20 11:45 AM
Ok ok, I'll bite and start the NRR
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-20 12:43 PM
Slightly annoyed with someone unknown.

Every week, I drive by a Little Free Library on my way to church. I usually glance at it to see how it's doing. Last Sunday morning, I looked over and it looked a bit...pale...inside.

On the way back, I looked again. Looked completely empty. Sure enough, someone had helped themselves to all the books. There was a yard sale a block away but the only books they had were hardcover Tony Hillermans and I can't see a LFL having only those.

So...we have plenty of books that have been donated, far more than I can fit into my LFL. And more arrive not infrequently. I have several totes of books in the garage waiting their turn to go in. Went home, picked out an assortment including fiction, nonfiction, kids' books, and a couple of young adult books which are usually in the shortest supply. Took a Sharpie, wrote "Little Free Library" on the endpapers of most of the books and on the fronts of the kids' books which don't have enough pages to make writing on the endpapers to be worthwhile. (At some point I'll invest in a stamp.)

Then I drove back to the LFL and restocked it.

Cleaning out a LFL does seem to be awfully petty. Fortunately we have enough to share.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2018-03-20 1:33 PM
maybe the owner cleaned it out the books weren't being borrowed or something
eh if someone cleaned it out then hopefully those books are being read by someone, right?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-21 10:29 PM
Usually when a LFL is cleaned out it's because someone thinks s/he can sell the books for even a tiny amount of money.

I hope someone is reading them. The alternative is that someone needed something to burn to stay warm.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-03-22 6:44 AM
When things are stolen (like donated books to the shelf by the laundry room or even the contents of a dryer) it is by someone who steals and sells them at a giant flea market. No, they don't need the money, they like to steal. :mutmad:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-22 11:09 AM
Some people do need the money, but I can't imagine secondhand books would bring much. You can fill a bag at the library for $5. There's an ongoing sale of donated books.

You may be right, the swap meet is Sunday mornings and that's when the books disappeared.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-03-20 7:27 PM
That does seem strange but I hope your restocking jump starts it again
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-22 6:52 AM
I will check it tonight on my way to choir rehearsal. There's a bag of books in the trunk now as well!
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-03-21 7:50 AM
We got about 3" of snow overnight - how come it always seems to fall around rush hour? it has been warm enough that a lot melted off of the roads but some areas still had issues. i opted to work from home because i hate messing with driving in snow even if it isn't bad.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-21 10:28 PM
Same reason our rain always seems to come around afternoon commute time.

WFH is a great option.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-03-22 10:05 AM
Right! Our snow always starts during rush hour :meh:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-03-22 9:57 AM
Anyone with a kid with ADHD I'd love input, advice. This year we have seen O's school performance drop, having more issues with work and anything that takes focus and thought in school and even in outside activities. We have suspected possible ADHD for a few years but have had good teachers that have been working with her and it wasn't progressing as an issue until this year (doesn't help that her teacher is horrible at communicating with me so I do not really know what is going on until conferences). Anyways anything that she can just do she does great at but tasks that take focus like the harder math work, filling in details of reading, timed tests, etc she is not doing well despite behavioral intervention. We met with her pediatrician today who agrees and we are starting medication. I am fine with medication but honestly have no idea what to expect. We talked with O about letting us know how she feels, I talked with her teacher and asked for better communication and will follow up with ped in 1 month to reassess. Debating if next step is IEP at school? Anyone have good resources to help her and us? Hw did you decide to continue or stop meds over the summer?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-03-22 11:20 AM
Both my kids struggled with it, DS far more than DD. Still does but he stopped taking meds a few years ago. She hasn't taken any for many years.

We continued over the summers rather than stop and start again.

It did help them a lot, though it's not a miracle worker. School knew about it and we had an IEP for a while.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-03-22 11:25 AM
Does O have the ability to chart or track her focus and how she feels?  If she had a watch beep (or vibrate) every 20 min, could she put a smile, meh, or frown on a chart? Helping her become self reflective as well as getting data on how she's doing, might help you make decisions.

If your school doesn't feel like an IEP is called for, ask for a 504 plan. It is similar to an IEP but the kid does not need to hit the same threshold of how "disabled" they are to get one.

Is she easily distracted by things going on around her?  Would moving her seat within the classroom change her level of focus.  When she does homework at home, what is the environment like? If she moved environments, would that help? Would she do better with other learning modalities-- audio books, thinking aloud, drawing answers before writing them, etc?

Have you observed in her class?  What do you see in her behavior (yes, it will change by your being in the room, but it sill would be some data).

Kids her age are not my specialty, but I'm happy to help you think things through.

This website might be helpful: http://www.ldonline.org/
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-03-22 11:39 AM
I like the idea of charting, we have tried for other things but she frequently loses track of it.

I'll look into 504. We previously had IEP for speech only but she "graduated" last year from this.

She is very distracted by things around her. She has moved her sit, is allowed to stand if needed, etc but her school is open so no real walls. Not the best setting for a distracted kid. At home we have tried multiple settings, she likes to talk through her work. But will start one move to the next, go back and just write answers without thinking through or doing the steps. When she tries homework in her room she is so distracted it doesn't get done at all!

I've only been in her class on special days so can't really comment. I have observed at dance and gymnastics and she is fidgeting, distracted by other things, missing instructions, etc. I've asked her and she really wants to be in these classes but says she gets her mind stuck on what's next or fixing somethings and can't move until that's done. Watching her in other settings she can't sit still, doesn't remembered what was just asked or explained to her, finishes things partially because she forgets next steps, etc.

I'll check out that site
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-03-22 12:10 PM
I'm not qualified to diagnose, but she does have classic ADD symptoms.

She's old enough (third grade, right?) to start self monitoring, with support from the adults in her life. Perhaps noise canceling headphones would help her with work, or even ones that are hooked to a blue tooth mic for her teacher, so she hears the teacher's voice and not other noises in the room.  However, that doesn't get rid of visual distraction or racing thoughts. The mind getting stuck does make me wonder if she's got some anxiety or other thought processes that are making her less functional than she'd like to be. A counselor would be able to help her talk through those issues and how to handle them.  In general, someone specialized in behavioral self monitoring techniques would help her a lot-- her school counselor or GP would have appropriate referrals (not sure what you've done with this before).

As for the medication-- do proceed with your eyes open. Some can increase suicidal thoughts in young people, and you want to be careful about how they effect her growing body (this is entirely outside of my body of knowledge). Medication can be very useful.  I take Ritalin myself and LOVE how much more productive I am when on it. Untreated ADD can lead to other types of self medication, as stimulants often help those with ADD. Not an issue at her age, but something to think about for her as she ages.

You are a good parent for being on this!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-03-22 12:19 PM
Thanks.

She is 2nd grade. She frequently does her work or reads while listening to music she finds calming with her headphones. (I like her can only really work with some background white noise type stuff). We have wondered if some anxiety as well, which is often seen in kids with ADD/ADHD. A few years ago she saw a child psychologist to work on her worry and sleep, we went through phases where she wouldn't sleep because some worry would get in her head. She is better with her emotions and worry but still there to some extent. Meds can cause weight loss, growth delay in her age so we will monitor closely with her pediatrician. We have talked to O to let us know if she feels anything different or not normal so we can monitor med effects.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-03-22 1:26 PM
Yes, check out 504.  Most schools will do one without a fight.  With IEP it needs to have proven educational diagnosis and schools won't necessarily accept a medical diagnosis.  Some 504 accommodations could be front of class, time and half for exams, reduced homework assignments, extra time for homework, using stress ball, standing, physical movement breaks, etc.  I had a student who did so much better testing alone. He'd come in during lunch, before school, or after school.  Some kids do ok going to resource room for a test or taking with class but finishing during lunch, etc. See kids do better using a stress ball to squeeze, silly putty or pipe cleaners. One did better doodling.  As a teacher, I was open to whatever works for the individual student.  I'd also request teacher next year most open to physical movements and breaks. 

Another suggestion is I've seen a lot of ADHD students who do better with visual supports during instruction and all directions given verbally and visually.  It's really just goid teaching but not all teachers do it.  I'd ask O if that happens at school. 

Other non school suggestions are occupational therapy.  Individual and group OT if possible.  They can work to help figure out what would work for her in class.  Another big suggestion is to try swimming.  It has multiple benefits.  A child with ADHD can use such an individual sport to push as hard as physically necessary to meet needs (and possibly anxiety since common with ADHD kids).  It also meets a lot of sensory needs.  Running is good for the individual needs meeting but swimming really adds the sensory element.  I've seen huge improvements in Dad's behavior when she swims daily. 

I think it's great you are really working on it now.  Middle school is often when you see really large impacts in educational settings with ADHD so hopefully you will have the time for supports in place before then. 

Sent a PM as well. I have
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-03-22 3:08 PM
I have one kid diagnosed with ADHD, and one that is borderline.  DS1 is 13 and in 7th grade.  He was diagnosed at 9 and in 3rd grade, and we started Vyvanse at 11 in 5th grade, after attempting counseling and B-12 supplements.  The B-12 helped for a long time; it's a natural stimulant that our pediatrician was ok with us trying since it couldn't hurt. 

Vyvanse is short-term acting so can be stopped/started with no ill effects.  Some of the other meds require a build up in the system to be effective and shouldn't be stopped/started.  We do have him not take it on the weekends if we don't have a lot going on.  Same with the summer -  he takes it when he's at sleep away camp when he's out of his routine but the rest of the summer just depends on what we're doing.  We're also helping him learn how to self-manage when he's not medicated.

The meds affect kids differently.  DS1 had no issues with Vyvanse; it was the first and only med we've tried.  I know another kid who tried it and it make him a zombie.  That kiddo has tried 4 or 5 different meds until they found one that a) worked, and b) had minimal/acceptable side affects. Finding a med that works it typically a process.  We started with Vyvanse because it's one that either works and you know it, or it doesn't.  Others require a build up to the right dosage, and that takes time.

We tried mood charting with DS1 but he couldn't keep up with the sheets and when the teacher kept them, he felt like she was "grading" his behavior.  It was completely counter-productive for him so we stopped.

The counselor has been immensely helpful for DS1 as it's a safe space for him to talk about how he's feeling, how being different is hard, how he doesn't want to take the meds, etc..  She's great at hearing him and helping him come up with things to try/say/do. 

DS1 had an IEP until this year, but his IEP focused on his processing disorders that affected his learning.  He's graduated from the IEP, and now has a 504 to give us the avenue for accommodations should he need them.  For us, it was important to continue with a plan of some sort since they're re-evaled every 3 years;  he'll be due for re-eval at the end of his freshman year of high school. I really really really wanted something to fall back on in case the transition doesn't go well (his ADHD makes transitions difficult).
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-03-22 7:05 PM
Vyvanse is what we started on, day one seemed good.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-03-22 3:49 PM Edited 2018-03-22 3:51 PM
Does she have a formal diagnosis of ADHD? Sensory processing disorder is similar. Visuals might be good for her. A checklist when she has multiple steps to perform, highlighting answers in text, checking off what she has done already, etc. I have seen some students with bands on the legs of the chair, which they can fidget with when restless. There are many students who have visual perceptual deficits and some of their issues seem like that cannot focus and get easily distracted. Students with visual perceptual deficits can have 20/20 vision.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-03-22 7:06 PM
Yes formal diagnosis today.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-03-22 11:44 AM
Back from vacation in San Diego/Carlsbad.

Highlights: Spending time with my aunt, uncle and cousins. Including taking my aunt to the beach (they have a cool wheelchair that can go on the sand), watching movies with my Uncle (he watches two a day, its a huge hobby of his), going for a hike with my cousin, helping my cousin's daughter negotiate with a job offer for better salary (she's 23!). Going to the beach every day. Swimming in the ocean that is 10* warmer than Puget Sound. Seeing seals, sea lions, pelican and cormorants with their young (seeing a seal nurse is SO cool!). Flying with really no anxiety. Eating lots of good vegan food and lots of ice cream. Teaching my cousin's kid to make candied ginger. Getting a tiny bit of sunburn on my neck.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-03-22 11:46 AM
Sounds like a great vacation. Yay for no anxiety while flying.:grin:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-03-22 12:17 PM
sounds like a great trip!

Was this one you were going to take your niece on or am I confusing it?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-03-22 4:16 PM
No niece on this one. Just MCF and I. :hug:
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-03-22 1:27 PM
Glad you had such a nice trip.  Did YCF go too?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-03-22 4:16 PM
Yes, he went. It is good for us to get out of the operational day to day stuff and into the fun stuff together!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-03-22 3:49 PM
:happy:
Up Topic Communities / Women / To Tuesday and Beyond NRR