Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / March Movie Thread
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-03-09 4:09 PM
Let's talk about movies watched in March here* :grin:

_____
* And not elsewhere :sad:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-03-09 4:10 PM
I saw Annihilation.  It is a strange movie, loosely based on a strange book (though taking major departures from it), and I think many would get hung up on its less coherent aspects, but I enjoyed it and there are some great visuals.  Will give it 6.5/10.  I think it is coming up on Netflix fairly soon, so sci-fi enthusiasts should check it out then if not in the theaters.
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2018-03-10 7:49 AM
That sounds interesting. :grin::blush:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-03-09 4:53 PM
while not a movie in the traditional sense, I would like to recommend a fantastic series on Netflix which I watched in March (and therefore feel it may be appropriate to include it here :shocker!:).  It is Babylon Berlin, a crime thriller set in Germany in the time between the world wars.  It really captures the time in a very cool and campy way with a very interesting historically based plot.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-03-09 4:56 PM
Between the world wars as in bawdy Weimar Berlin or depressing rise-of-hitler 30s?
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-03-09 5:38 PM
very bawdy Weimar Berlin :shocker!::cool:  Did I mention awesome music and incredible period costumes?  The first episode is a bit slow so watch at least two to see if you like it. 

This is much better than that idiotic HQ I recommended, in fact please accept this recommendation as compensation for that.  :cool:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-03-10 12:23 PM
I just watched Manhattan.
Great movie! I liked it a bit better than Annie Hall (which I also really liked), if just for the mere fact that the Diane Keaton character is a bit less ditzy without compromising on wit.
Also amazing that Mariel Hemingway had such a scattered career after this. You would expect her to blow up after such an iconic movie (a bit like Scarlett Johanssen did after "lost in translation") at age 16-17.

One thing that's very present though with Woody Allen, which I also noticed with Jerry Seinfeld as I'm currently binging on "Comedians in cars getting coffee" on netflix is the cheer amount of Jewish self-deprecation. One particular stereotype that comes forward is that apparently Jews complain a lot. Woody had some similar jokes in the movie (can't recall them specifically), but Jerry was just talking about Jewish jokes with some other comedian. The other dude's joke was "what's the difference between a Jew and a canoe? Jews don't tip". Jerry said, that wasn't a good one, too obvious, he preferred one like "4 Jews are sitting at a table in a diner, the waiter comes up to the table and asks: how are you doing?".

So, what other Woody Allen movies are worth it? Both featuring him or not?
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-03-10 2:34 PM
I thought Love and Death was very funny when I saw it, and Hannah and Her Sisters is probably the other one in most folks' overall top 3 along with Annie Hall and Manhattan (some might put Crimes and Misdemeanors in there too, but that one didn't do anything for me).
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-03-14 12:51 PM
re Jews complain a lot -- I think it comes from a philosophical place in Judaism in which a lot of emphasis is placed on questioning everything and looking for answers.   You can see this over and over in the Old Testament in which many biblical heroes question God. Questioning everything naturally leads to complaining -- which seems to be the entire premise of the Seinfeld show.

As for other Woody Allen recommendations, i have always liked Sleeper.
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-03-14 4:55 PM
I drive by the sleeper house maybe twice a month.  It's had problems in the past (previous owners almost went bankrupt).  New owners are restoring it now.
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-03-15 10:32 AM
wow, that's cool.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-03-16 1:09 PM
Yes, its in the town of Genesee, just west of Denver.  Cool little town.  I always have to look over and get a view of the house whenever I drive up to the ski areas.  Kind of my OCD thing.  There are a few other futuristic homes (kind of bubble/mushroom shaped) homes in Boulder, too.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-03-16 11:49 AM
re Jews complain a lot -- I think it comes from a philosophical place in Judaism in which a lot of emphasis is placed on questioning everything and looking for answers.   You can see this over and over in the Old Testament in which many biblical heroes question God. Questioning everything naturally leads to complaining -- which seems to be the entire premise of the Seinfeld show.

Thank you for that insight.  I'll watch Seinfeld reruns from a whole different vantage point now!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-03-14 12:56 PM
I don’t get the “4 Jews at a table” joke.
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-03-14 3:21 PM
either do I :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-03-14 4:21 PM Edited 2018-03-14 4:24 PM
This was the joke from Woody Allen (before someone accuses me of anti-Semitism :happy:):

Two Jewish women are having brunch when one says to the other, "this food is awful!" to which her friend replies, "I know, and the portions are so small!" :laugh:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-03-15 10:25 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-03-16 11:49 AM
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-03-14 3:56 PM
It may be "Jewish Women" though :wink:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-03-15 7:29 AM
I still don't get it.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-03-15 7:48 AM
Nor do I.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-03-16 11:45 AM
I had such a crush on Diane Keaton, and Mariel Hemingway. :hug::hug:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-03-16 5:13 PM
It's funny how Woody Allen casted Diane Keaton for so many movies in the beginning of his movie career.
It's a bit like Louis De funes (French comic Actor), who always had Claude Gensac as his wife in movies.
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-03-16 1:41 PM
Isn't t he joke "4 Jews are sitting at a table in a diner, the waiter comes up to the table and asks: Is anything ok?".
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-03-16 5:02 PM
that's the joke
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-03-17 4:33 AM
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-03-17 8:49 AM
Thanks for saving the day, mkh.

Parent - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-03-12 9:59 AM
I saw A Wrinkle in Time.  I liked it but then I liked the book.  Its gotten mixed reviews.  Nat had not read the book and didn't feel like the characters developed well.  I agree as far as Charles Wallace goes especially.   I think they did a great job with Meg, and the Mrs.
Parent - By turkeyfoot Date 2018-03-13 10:04 PM
The wife and I have recently gotten into Poldark. Now we're going to have to pay for season 3 and 4.
Parent - - By cutter [us] Date 2018-03-19 12:04 PM
Watched I, Tonya on Friday night. It was good.
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-03-19 12:22 PM
I WATCHED I, TONYA on FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!

It was good.
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-03-10 7:07 PM
I was at The Ohio Tavern with some friends tonight. Naked Lunch was on the tv.
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-03-11 5:24 PM
Saw the oscar-winning Shape of Water.  It was good as adult fairy tales go, though it didn't strike me as the best movie of the year.  6.5/10, reflecting a 1-point deduction for one scene that I did NOT like.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-03-11 7:17 PM
65% is an F.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-03-12 8:54 AM
It's a D :wtf:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-03-12 9:55 AM
I don’t mess around.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-03-12 10:07 AM Edited 2018-03-12 10:10 AM
Grade Inflation is REAL :mutmad:

I think they even account for that in engineering departments when making the "dean's list" (that stuff doesn't exist in Belgium).
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-03-12 8:14 AM
Three Billboards... I thought this was a great movie. Very dark and disturbing and very well acted. Really enjoyed it, 4/5
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-03-12 11:35 AM
I liked it too and I thought Sam Rockwell did an awesome job. :cool:
- - By callie [ca] Date 2018-03-13 10:04 AM
We watched Mute on Netflix on the weekend. Paul Rudd is awesome as always, and it’s a fairly dark, odd movie but interesting as well. 7/10, bonus points just for Paul Rudd’s stache.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-03-13 10:07 AM
Hmm.  I do like that Paul Rudd and his wacky antics.  May need to check it out.  :happy:
Parent - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-03-13 10:33 AM
Hmm. How many Paul Rudd wacky sex scene antics are there?  May need to check it out.  :happy:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2018-03-13 10:58 AM
Hmm. I liked Moon and I like Paul Rudd so maybe I should give it a shot. :happy:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-03-13 12:33 PM
Hmm. Paul Rudd is likeable but I haven't enjoyed his work since lately. May need to give this one a pass. :happy:
Parent - - By callie [ca] Date 2018-03-13 3:25 PM
:laugh: I love you guys
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-03-13 3:31 PM
My feelings are more mixed :mutmad:: pbbt:
- - By gadget girl Date 2018-03-14 4:03 PM
I saw Call Me By Your Name last night with my husband.  I really liked it and he hated it. 

It was a beautiful story of lust and love set in Northern Italy.
Armie Hammer and Timothee Chalamet are HOT and the sex scenes are :evil::evil::evil:  (if you like that sort of thing, which of course, I do). 
The movie is a wonderful reminder of how great life used to be without smart phones.
The pacing is a bit slow and the film techniques are a bit heavy handed (it is not nearly as exquisite and subtle as Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain, which I think was a masterpiece).

nevertheless, it is a beautiful film about love and has a wonderful story about family interactions which is unique.

go see it, unless you are like my husband, because then you will hate it.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-03-14 5:05 PM
My daughter LOVED that movie, but I can tell she has a crush on Timothy Chalamet. :mischief:  She didn't think I'd like it quite as much, though it may have been Chris's sensibilities she was trying to spare. :laugh:  I had a little girl crush on Sally Hawkins after Shape of Water and so watched her recently in the BBC production of Fingersmith (which was a really awesome adaptation of the Sarah Waters book, btw).  The lesbian sex in that was hawt! :evil: I had no problem with that, so I don't know how I gave my daughter the impression I was so closed-minded. :roll:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-03-15 10:30 AM
It's interesting that your daughter loved it,  I thought it would be more appealing to an older crowd looking back wistfully on the thought of first love.  

There was something a bit disturbing about that movie though -- it normalizes and even celebrates what would be considered statutory rape in this country.  It seems hypocritical of Hollywood that while in the forefront of the Metoo movement and protests against Woody Allen and Polanski, etc., that this film just sails by without one negative word about its subject. 

I found it also disturbing that there was a ton of gratuitous smoking and the parents shared cigarettes with their 17 year old kid. 

Again, I let all this go because of the hotness factor.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-03-15 11:05 AM
That's a good point about the hypocrisy of Hollywood.  Yeah, I forgot about that:  Julie said the thing that was troubling was not that it was two boys but that one of them was only 17 while the other was 30(?).  It made me wonder if that's a "thing," because my brother's husband was only 19 when they got together.  (I think my brother was in his late-20s.)  Not under the age of consent, but not much over it.

Sorry, I realized I was just probably stereotyping WILDLY, and I apologize if I offended anyone.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-03-15 11:41 AM
I think it is awesome that Julie noted that as a potential issue.  :cool:

It seems to be a "thing" in many relationships - both gay and straight.  (my husband still calls me his "child bride"  :roll::blush::laugh:)
Parent - By h3ather (Nice Tips) Date 2018-04-02 10:26 PM
I really liked this movie. I agree, it's wistful about first love, though most straight men would be uncomfortable, along with not appreciating the first love story, even if the couple was hetero because men suck :wink:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-03-16 11:39 AM
My wife and I went the theatre and watched "I Can Only Imagine" last night, a film about the life story of the author as it relates to one of the better selling songs of recent history.  Very moving, at times extremely maddening and sad, other times very touching in sort of a love-story way.  Obviously, the author's faith was very much a part of the song's meaning, but the film doesn't dwell on that, so I don't think those of a secular mindset would feel like they were the getting beat over the head with somebody's Bible.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-03-16 11:41 AM
Oh, and there were times when Dennis Quaid, who played the father, would get the look on his face that reminded me so much of another actor, especially near the end of the film.  It took me a while to figure it out, but of all people, it was Jack Nicholson he was bringing to mind. :wtf:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-03-19 12:17 PM
One of the ladies I run with saw this movie and really enjoyed it.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-03-19 4:23 PM
:cool:  I'm thinking I might read the book.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-03-19 12:49 PM Edited 2018-03-19 12:53 PM
Blazerboy and I watched another movie I suggested he should watch as a budding film maker.....Silence of The Lambs.  I loved it when I saw it and since it was one of the few movies which won the Big 5 Oscar categories.....Best Movie, Actor, Actress, Director and Screenplay (Adapted).....as well as for editing and sound, he was on board to watch. 

As with our recent viewing of A Few Good Men, we were both annoyed with the musical scoring.  Movies from the 1990's seem to be overly dramatic with the scoring, the more instruments used the better.  Other than that, it held up fairly well.  The tension in the pivotal scene near the end of the movie was great and really demonstrated Jodie Fosters' acting ability. 

While blazerboy has evolved into a rather lazy teenager and is a bit more lackadaisical than I care for during his last semester in high school, he certainly does his homework before we watch movies together!  Items the boy came in with were the fact that Anthony Hopkins rarely blinks in the movie (the boy said it was only 42 times).  Anthony Hopkins studied Charles Manson and noticed he rarely blinked in interviews, so he used that to increase his creepy factor. It was an excellent tool.  The director shoots a lot of VERY close headshots in pivotal discussions and always has Jodie Foster a tiny bit off center to indicate she isn't 100% confident in what she is doing while Anthony Hopkins is always completely centered.  Anthony Hopkins is only in the movie for 16 minutes, the second least for any actor winning Best Actor.   And while not something which was discovered by research, the boy noted how in certain scenes, the cast was entirely male.  Example:  When a slew of paramedics are in a scene, they are all white & black males.....no females.  I am glad he is in tune to those sort of things.:happy:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-03-19 12:54 PM
That's really cool about watching the movie together and the observations. Something interesting to share. I love behind the scenes stuff. I took a Hitchcock course in college and learned a lot about his style.
- By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-03-19 12:56 PM
I re-watched Waking Ned Devine Saturday night. I try to watch it on or around St. Patrick's day every year. One of my favorites
- By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-03-26 3:30 PM
DH and I watched Wonder with his kids Saturday night (their choice). It was surprisingly good! I thought it would be the typical "different kid gets bullied, different kid changes the other kids's minds, different kid comes out on top" story, and while it was, it was also a lot more than that since it delved into the lives of all of the other associated characters. And even though I am not always a Julia Roberts fan, I liked her in this movie too. The kids really enjoyed the movie too, I hope they took something away from it!
- - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-04-02 4:29 PM
Watched a few movies at the hotel we were staying as we were getting free HBO.

Saw the original Diehard movie.  Later watched Brooklyn 99 and the crew was in LA for some reason and they had to make a detour to the Nakatomi Plaza

Saw the movie The House.  Generally a stupid, but funny movie.  Felt guilty as Steve Mnuchin is listed as a producer.  But since it was a flop anyway, I felt better.

Finally, saw ET for the first time.  Kind of funny watching this movie 35 years later as the special effects have improved exponentially.  Great movie, but I still like Close Encounters better.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-04-03 12:11 PM
I watched The House on an airplane.  It was a good diversion from the turbulence, but i wouldn't have wanted to pay $ for it. :wink:

It was a long flight, so i also had time to watch the new Aliens movie (Covenant).  It was actually pretty good, if predictable.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-04-06 9:44 AM

>but i wouldn't have wanted to pay $ for it.

Exactly.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-02 6:34 PM
I’m posting in APRIL. :shocker!:

We saw the new Jumanji movie. It was surprisingly good.
Parent - - By h3ather (Nice Tips) Date 2018-04-02 10:28 PM
I really liked the new Jumanji movie. It was fun. I've never seen the first one.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-03 7:39 AM
I saw the original one for the first time a month or two ago. I liked it despite some pretty big plot holes.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-04-03 6:58 AM
I liked it too :happy:
Parent - - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-04-10 11:13 AM
I liked it initially. After multiple viewings, thanks to my Dwayne Johnson addicted 9yo daughter, I'm over it. Every time I turn around she is watching it again.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-10 1:56 PM
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-04-11 5:40 AM
Gotta hand it to her, he is hot. I've been a fan since The Rundown:mischief:
- - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-03 11:55 AM
I saw Isle of Dogs this past weekend. 

It was awesome, funny, wacky, truly unique, with a nice message, in short something only Wes Anderson could achieve.  After seeing this, I think his genius is somewhat unappreciated.   

this is a great movie to take kids to see.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-03 1:10 PM
My wife and I are going on Friday. Can't wait.

If anything, I overappreciate Wes Anderson.
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-03 1:13 PM
what about your son?  He will love it to. 

I don't think there is any director out there who is turning out such unique and imaginative stuff.
This one is just as delicious and equally funny and quirky as the Grand Budapest Hotel.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-03 5:54 PM
He’s like it too but between soccer practice and a friend of his being in town for spring break he doesn’t have time to go this week.

We’ll buy it on DVD when it comes out so he’ll see it.

He loves Moonrise Kingdom.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-04-03 1:20 PM
As good as FMF?:grin:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-03 1:46 PM
that was different because he was working from a roald dahl book.  this is his own unique invention.  so just as good, or better.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-04-04 6:36 AM
Excellent good to know :cool:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-07 8:49 AM
We both liked Isle of Dogs a lot. Pretty to look at, interesting characters, great dialogue and a fun story. 10/10
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-09 11:17 AM
you forgot the awesome music too.  Glad you enjoyed!!!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-09 1:14 PM
It's a Wes Anderson film, awesome music is a given.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-09 2:23 PM
trudat
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-04-10 2:12 PM
How do you think younger kids would do with it? I have an aunt that is a big WA fan and she's trying to get me to take my boys. I love his movies too but think they could be pretty dry for an almost 10 year old and almost 7 year old
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-10 3:56 PM
It’s dry. It’s not the typical “Ha ha!” Animated movie.

As far as content, there’s nothing too violent or questionable.
- By Photocat [us] Date 2018-04-11 5:47 AM
A Quiet Place - Loved it:cool:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-11 7:22 AM
My son checked out Daddy's Home (Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg) from the library. It was a steaming pile.:meh:
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-04-11 8:57 AM
What about The Other Guys?  Have you seen that one?
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-11 9:33 AM
I think so, but I don't remember much about it. It's possible that I've only seen the trailer.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-11 9:47 AM
The Other Guys, while not the greatest movie ever, is worth a watch.  I was surprised I enjoyed it.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / March Movie Thread