Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Marathon MONTHLY for FEB 2018
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-03-01 9:41 AM
Hey all you lurkers.... come out of the closet and give us an update. Promise the folks in L&O don't bite if you want to dip in the dailies. But we could do this for now. I miss hearing from some of you.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-03-01 9:49 AM
Hey all. I am just limping around here, trying to figure out what's up with my aging decrepit left leg. Thinks have been better with the left knee these past 2 months since I had the Synvisc injection but I feel far from my old self and still have creakiness in the joint. I think I may visit a PT that I saw many years ago that was very knowledgeable to see what else is going on in there.

In any case, I ran an ultra in February. It was pretty dumb as I only had 3 or 4 runs over 10 miles in the past 7 months. Longest run was 12 actually, in January some time. It was one of those timed races though so I jogged 2 or 3 laps and then jogged/hiked a few more to get a total of 6 loops (about 30 miles), then took a break, drove to my parents house and picked up the Lady and did one more lap. The race down in Florida, Whispering Pines 12 hour. I guess I was on the trail for about 8.5 hours, covered 33.6 miles. Pretty slow stuff but there was a lot of walking. I met the infamous LDR from L&O who is a legendary multi-day runner so I even had an FE. :cool:

Other than that just a bunch of plodding miles with the Lady. I logged 140 miles in February, which is not very much for me, but I guess 150 is my new norm. Better than zero I suppose. :happy:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-01 5:23 PM
:shocker!::shocker!:

I cannot you believe you ran  for 8.5 hours. You've got some good endurance and unbelievable mental will.:cool::cool: (I would benefit from a fraction of your drive.):cool:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-03-02 2:46 PM
I definitely have "mental" something.  :laugh:

Really the last few laps (ok, maybe the last 5 of 7) I pretended to be running but it was barely a jog and often I would just crap out and walk. So a lot of walking.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2018-03-04 11:56 AM
You ran as many plodding miles as Eric and I combined, so there is that. :laugh: 

I think I saw a pic of you and LDR on FB. Good to see you. We still miss you at RtB, you need to join us one of these years. We are all decrepit and slow now anyway. :p
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-01 5:21 PM
Hi Dave!

I have been running very little. I'm almost embarrassed to report it. I logged 75 miles for the month of February. The good news is that it is almost 9x as much as I did in January!:laugh::blush: Same old mechanical issues and at about 5 miles, I just can't slog anymore, so my long run has been 5 miles. I purposely didn't set any goals for the year. I had a 1200mi goal for the last 3 y which I finally did last year. I told myself I'd prioritize strength and flexibility this year. I'm failing petty badly. I need to make time to see PT but I just can't seem to make it more of a priority for now. Work is busy. Princeton Medicine merged with the Penn Medicine, so we'll be changing EMR systems again at the end of the year.:cry: The thought of that makes me ill. I have to get in gear and do PT before the summer since I still plan to do RTB. I haven't even been to rogereland in months because the though of having to run a hill makes me hurt even before I start.:laugh:

I also gave up drinking for Lent this year. Yes...I am a bundle of joy!:meh::laugh::laugh: I don't notice much during the week since I usually only have a glass (or two: pbbt:) of wine. I sleep a lot better though.:wink:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-03-01 8:52 PM
Blazerman gave up drinking for Lent, so I have gave up drinking mostly. It is a good way to lose a few pounds!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-03-02 2:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your continued struggles with running. I hope you can find some time for yourself to see the PT, and work on strength. It sounds crazy though at your office with the merger and now a new EMR system. So many of my client hospitals are going through mergers and the new owner's first order of business seems to be to push through a new EHR. Even for sites that have just recently converted in the past 1-5 years. Crazy. That's so many unproductive hours for the care givers.

That's a bold thing to give up for Lent. The real deal so to speak. Are you saying you sleep better with or without the wine?
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-03 8:13 AM
Better without the wine.:shocker!:

We have already been through two transitions, so I am not looking forward to it. :meh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2018-03-04 11:53 AM
Well I ran 71, so you did better than me. But I am pleased as heck about it, 71 is more than well who the heck knows what I ran in the months before. Didn't have a watch for several months so I didn't have to look at the pitiful totals. :blush::laugh:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-03-13 9:22 AM
Hey Eric!!

Find some time to go and get on PT. I could hardly run at the beginning of last year and just a few weeks of PT had me back out there and running decently. It’s worth doing.

Also - we are looking at doing a brunch FE in Philly on 4/21 when a number of us are heading to Delaware for the marathon on 4/22. If that fit  SI to your schedule I will let you know the details.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-16 2:37 PM
I finally bit the bullet and I am scheduled for an eval next week. I'm trying a new PT person. We'll see how it goes. :fingerscrossed: I haven't completely ruled out running the 9K race in DE just because I have been jonesing for an FE.:happy:
Parent - - By godogo [us] Date 2018-03-19 2:10 PM
Do it! :grin:
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-20 5:01 PM
My PT appt for tomorrow was cancelled because of our Spring storm expecting a foot of snow. 1 more week until I feel like I am addressing things, but I could probably still run 5.5 miles...(I hope).
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-03-19 7:14 PM
Do it!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-03-14 7:36 AM
Please go to PT! You have to go to RTB! :hug: At the very least to see me run leg 1! :shocker!:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-14 9:50 AM
You're running leg 1 this year?:shocker!: I find it hard to believe you could have done something to piss Victor off that badly!:laugh::laugh::hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-03-16 9:05 AM
: pbbt:
I was informed a month ago. Something about me being the only one training and being healthy enough for leg 1? And also probably the only one in van 1 that hasn't done it yet :roll:
Parent - - By godogo [us] Date 2018-03-19 2:23 PM
:shortstraw:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-20 4:58 PM
We'll just refer to her as Vanone John this year.:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-03-21 10:48 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2018-03-21 9:52 PM
Leg one? :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2018-03-04 11:49 AM
Hey Dave! I am digging myself out of my non-running hole. 71 miles for Feb, which I know is pitiful but is better than the 10-36 miles/month that was happening before then.

I ran the Trinity Levee 20k yesterday. They changed the route to make it 4 loops of 5K each. Crowded. Saw one woman go down when a kid darted in front of her. I really think parents who have their younger children running alone should explain to them that unlike track blocking people, and being all elbows and feet is not a thing for road races especially at the back of the pack. It's not the first time I've seen kids do this, they will not let you pass and it's just unsafe all around. I also ended up getting screamed at when a faster runner was trying to go left off me in a narrow section and I had just moved over to pass some walkers.

Then at one point while I was running downhill the idiot in front of me drops his gel, stops and bends immediately to reach for it, luckily I was running slow or that would have been not very good for me. That fool, then took off and I see him five minutes later clutching his hammy. Umm yeah, you don't come to a dead halt from a downhill run and then bend down ya dummy. :roll: Anyway, I am slower than molasses but I finished and did not walk other than at aid stations or to ask about a port-o-potty, which there were none. :roll: 

All that said, it was great to be out at a race. I felt just a wee bit like a runner again.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-16 2:32 PM
Running 20 K is pretty awesome! That's a more than a light jog.:cool: Are you going to target a marathon or a tri this year?
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2018-03-17 6:53 AM
My stupid self signed up for Chicago because it was cheap though work and we have until June to sign up. :roll:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-03-06 10:06 AM
202.2 miles in February....all very slow. I have been working on strengthening my left glute which seemed to have been one of the factors which led to my tibia stress reaction last fall. I think I'm back to "normal" and will attempt to add some faster runs in March.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-16 2:33 PM
I hate glute exercises although I am convinced that would be an area to work on. I am surprised you have any weaknesses with the boxing you do. Your training always seems the most well-rounded to me.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-03-19 5:50 AM
For a couple of years, skipped boxing class on the day of the week in which we focused on leg stuff.....squats, lunges, and other like stuff. I figured I didn't need it. Then, stress fracture because of weak glute and hip. When I slowly went back to boxing and actually went to a leg day, all the ancillary exercise my trainer had us do, was mostly the stuff I was doing in PT. if I had only gone to Leg Day all along, I may have not gotten hurt!
Parent - - By godogo [us] Date 2018-03-19 2:19 PM
Just seeing this....

February mileage was 109.  I've been trying to hit at least 100 every month.  I make it most of the time.  My pace has slowed significantly, but I manage to plod along.  I really struggle on hills so I'm glad Delaware is pretty flat.

March has been a good month so far.  I ran my first 20 of the cycle yesterday.  It wasn't completely awful.  I ran 15 a few weeks ago that felt worse.  18 last week felt great and now 20 is done.  I hope to get one more in before Delaware to make sure it isn't a painfest.

New job is going great and it allows me a bit more time to get runs in.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-03-20 2:24 PM
Sounds like you are getting stronger.  Good job!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-03-21 10:49 AM
:happy:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2018-03-21 9:47 PM
A not awful 20 miler sounds promising. :laugh:
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-03-16 6:25 AM
I just noticed this so I am late to the party.  :cricketschirping:

121 miles in Feb. :sad: Up from 90 in Jan. :meh:

My pulled hamstring was finally fixed around Feb. 22nd.  My initial injury was Jan 13.  It was a series of it feeling okay; try to run and manage from .5 to 2 miles before it tightened up again and I would hobble home.  Then 4 to 7 days later it would feel great and the same thing would happen again.  I was able to use an ellipitcal with no issues at all so I bought a pass to the Rec center and went there a lot to ellipitcalize and swim. It kept me sane but that was about it.

Went to the Dominican Republic from Feb 8 to 12 but couldn't run on the beach. :sad: But, I made up for it by drinking! Also, the staff would bring me awesome coffee on the beach so every day was COFFEE DAY!!!
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2018-03-16 2:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the hammie but good to hear that you have got it to behave.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2018-03-21 9:46 PM
Coffee on the beach definitely sounds awesome. Hope the hammie is better soon.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-03-22 5:55 AM
Hammy good! Now I just need mileage so I can shed blubber. :meh:
- - By Stace76 [us] Date 2018-03-20 6:23 PM
I was finally feeling like half the runner I used to be :happy: until I started thinking about races and reemerged here....so now I'm injured and have run 5 miles in the last 2 weeks. :meh:  Seems to be peroneal tendonitis, but with my history of calcaneal (heel) stress fractures, I'm not sure.  My current podiatrist is definitely not awesome, so I may or may not get an MRI in a few weeks.  At least it doesn't hurt to walk anymore. :roll:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-03-21 10:50 AM
:sad: in the injury.

But good to see you! :hug:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2018-03-21 9:44 PM
Sorry about the injury. Hope you can find a better podiatrist. :meh:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-03-22 5:54 AM
:sad:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Marathon MONTHLY for FEB 2018