Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Fat Tuesday Dailies
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 6:25 AM
Anyone partake in the festivities?
Do you give up anything for Lent?
What was your workout?
:mischief::cool:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-02-13 4:59 PM
Damn I'm almost shamed into posting today since you and everyone else did. :cry: But I'll reply to both your posts here if that's ok. :wink: Lent is supposed to be sort of negative i.e. sacrifice and cleansing but those actually are positive things. Nonetheless, I'm impressed with your mutual sacrifices. Mrs. flamus (she's Orthodox) gives up both chocolate and chips which is a big sacrifice for her. I (heathen Protestant) rarely give up anything except during the last week when I rush to absolution: blush: Although I also usually fast Fridays throughout Lent and the last Saturday in deference to mrs. flamus. We're not going crazy today and will sit at home watching Olympics, although we did get pazhki today, yum. :evil:

Great run for you today! :grin: As for mine, it was still cold before the coming thaw, but a very refreshing 5 miles along the river at lunchtime with some pickups thrown in. :happy:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-13 6:40 PM
This here is the penthouse of the dailies!

Good work on the surge before the thaw today. :cool:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-14 7:31 AM
Yep, chocolate and chips is a big deal!

I had to google pazhki... is that a donut? :shocker!::hug:
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2018-02-13 6:09 PM
4.0 miles

12¢ (3 coins)

63º & sunny at 1450

New Balance 890 Blue #1
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-13 6:40 PM
1 dime and 2 pennies!  :genius: :roll:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-13 6:37 PM
No beads or boobs here today.  :sad:

No longer a practicing Catholic so will just stick with my saintly ways for the season. :evil:

Run today was another 5 or so with thy the Lady out on the trails of whispering pines. Still very humid but not as warm today. Rain at the folks house but not at the trail 5 miles away. The rain would have felt heavenly. Sigh.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 6:43 PM

> No beads or boobs here today.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-14 7:29 AM
:cry: no beads or boobs :laugh:
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-13 7:10 AM
I am not a Fat Tuesday person as I know from experience that Ash Wednesday is coming and it just makes it that much harder. : pbbt: We really don't have anything in the midwest although I know some places like New Orleans go crazy. I have some co-workers down south that are taking today off for Maridi Gras.

I am Catholic and I normally have some moral/spiritual self improvement projects going on during Lent. I don't normally tell people about them since it has more meaning if I don't.  I will admit to an attempt to pick one day per week to refrain from eating between meals and limit what I eat to 2 small meal/snacks and one normal meal-much like on Ash Wednesday or Good Friday. 

Another day of no running but I am feeling better today and fingers crossed that this cold will bypass me. :grin:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 8:45 AM
Hope you continue to feel better! :hug:

That sounds like a good plan! :grin:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-13 8:52 AM
I feel like a wimp not running, but I always seem to feel fine while I'm running and bad afterwards so it's easier to just take a couple days off.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 8:53 AM
I totally get it.
I still have so much congestion. I haven't felt bad since last week but man this congestion is the pits.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:10 AM
Feel better! :hug:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 10:48 AM
Hope you feel better soon.  :hug:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 8:57 AM
I don't partake but I probably will indulge in something sweet. We're Catholic and for as long as we've been together we give up the same two things (sweets for me and fried foods for him) and out of respect we give up what the other gives up. This means no chips and salsa for me. :cry:

I just mentioned what we give up. I also try to add something positive but I haven't figured that out yet.

6.2 miles. Great run where everything just felt perfect! Love those days! :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:11 AM
No chips and salsa???? :shocker!::cry::cry: I am not sure I could do that! : pbbt:

Great run :cool::cool:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 10:46 AM
Your post has me craving chips now, for some bizarre reason.  Must be the thought of not being able to have them. :cry::laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:51 AM
That's togetherness.:hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-13 11:34 AM
aw, that's nice that you two do that. Very supportive.

So glad you had a great run! Love those days too.
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 9:10 AM
Anyone partake in the festivities?
Do you give up anything for Lent?
What was your workout?

I gave up religion for Lent years ago. But I did go to New Orleans for a long weekend during Mardi Gras once, in 1994. I went with a friend, we had such a blast. We researched what to do beforehand and made reservations at some amazing restaurants, we did everything you could do in the French Quarter plus took a steamboat tour on the river, met some amazing people, including a group of older couples who had been meeting to ride a float together every year for 40 years. We had so much fun in three days, it felt like we had been there for 2 weeks when we left.:laugh:  I remember being so proud of myself for getting up early one morning there, in spite of a raging hangover, and going to workout on the hotel gym's rower. Ah, youth.:roll: But we never did flash our boobs.

10 miles this morning with 8 @ MP. The back of my right knee felt tight and sore (popliteal tendon?), I suspect it's from tight shoes.:wtf:

Ok running peeps, I'm going to toss this out here: I'm thinking of registering for the C&O Canal 100 again. It's at the end of April. No time goals.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 10:44 AM
That trip sounds like so much fun!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:54 AM
I hate crowds. I wish they had on off-season Marci Gras.: pbbt:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 10:59 AM
Wow, fun trip!! :)

Re: what you're thinking about!! That's a big deal!!!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-13 11:33 AM
"I gave up religion for Lent" :laugh::laugh: same same!

that trip sounds so fun.  Ah youth indeed.

NICE WORKOUT this morning! and very exciting about the race signup.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-02-13 12:45 PM
So you are ditching us in Delaware so you can run 100 miles instead. : pbbt:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 7:32 PM
:laugh: Delaware is the week before, and that will be the first weekend our house has an open house. With all our dogs and birds, I can't get away then.:sad: And then there's the lure of the food at the C&O aid stations...: pbbt:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-13 2:32 PM
tight shoes? how so? :wtf:

hahaha, i too gave up religion for lent years ago. and will have to use that line!  :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 5:33 PM
Tight across the widest part of the foot, causing neuroma-like pain that sets off some kind of nerve that goes all the way up the back of my leg to behind my knee.:sad: I've noticed that when my shoes are tight across the ball of my foot, my calves get really tight and crampy.
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-13 9:58 AM
Not really religious, but every day is Fat Tuesday for me :laugh: #sugarfiend  Ran 5 miles on the trail this morning - beautiful crisp sunny winter morning. Finished in 45 and change - aka blazing fast for me these days!

I'm giving up alcohol for Lent :wink:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:17 AM
Nice run! :cool:

I'm giving up alcohol for Lent :wink:
:shocker!: :hug::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:58 AM
:hug::hug: fingers crossed!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 10:44 AM
Sounds like a beautiful run! 

:hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 11:00 AM
I had one year that I easily gave up alcohol! ;) We also gave up alcohol during Lent before we got married. That was TOUGH.

Very nice run! :grin:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-02-13 3:25 PM
I had to give up alcohol in Dec on Drs orders because apparently I have reflux and it was messing with my voice. The reflux can be exacerbated by alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods. I already avoid caffeine but I'd started having a nightcap every night due to sleep anxiety so that had to go. Fortunately I discovered the sleep anxiety finally left (it only took over 2 yrs, thanks youngest kid!). However I do miss the nightcap. I could probably have one now and again though because my voice is back to normal and I never did have any other symptoms of the reflux. Weird.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-13 6:43 PM
I am giving up Lent for alcohol. : pbbt:

Good luck to you.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-13 8:07 PM
Hahah :laugh:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:09 AM
My company is having a Mardi Gras luncheon that I will stop by for. I never say no to free food! I am also going to a happy hour tonight for a coworker who is leaving the company.

I usually give something up for Lent, or add something positive instead. I haven't decided yet what I am going to do for this year. :wtf:

Today's workout was 6x400 targeting 1:55. Actual splits were 1:56, 1:51, 1:51, 1:53, 1:52, 1:53. :cool: 1 mi w/u and 1+ mi c/d for a total of 4.58mi on the day. The repeats felt really good and I got to see some of the sunrise which made me happy! :grin:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 10:41 AM
Nice workout!  I agree - never say no to free food.  :wink:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 11:01 AM
FREE FOOD! :grin:

Nice workout!! :cool:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-13 11:32 AM
nicely done on the early morning speedwork! that's no joke!

I also never say no to free food!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-13 12:05 PM
Nice splits!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-13 2:31 PM
haha, we had about the same workout! and i hit 1:54-1:55 for all 4 splits. good job! :fistbump:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-13 3:05 PM
:cool::cool:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 5:34 PM
Nice workout! Are you doing any mile repeats this session?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-14 9:10 AM
Yep, same as last session, short repeats on Tuesdays then either mile repeats or tempo runs on Thursdays. This week it's tempo.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-13 7:27 PM
Nice intervals!
- - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 10:40 AM
Lovely run this morning!  I was aiming to run for about 40 minutes but wasted too much time getting ready so only managed approx 35 minutes.  It's warmer than it has been in many, many days - just below freezing - and that boosted my mood.  I'm not ready for winter to end yet - I love the snow too much - but it's been very cold for a long time so a warmer day is really nice.  :happy:  Came home in a very good mood.  :happy:
wonderful! those temps must have felt downright balmy.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 11:01 AM
That sounds like a great run! It must be in the water! :grin:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-13 11:57 AM
That sounds wonderful! I hear you on the enjoying the warmer temps but not wanting Winter to end yet. We got rain here over the weekend and now the snow is all gone.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-13 12:06 PM
That sounds lovely! :hug:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-02-13 12:58 PM
Nice!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-13 2:30 PM
it's dipped back down to freezing at night for us and i was very happy about that! all the trees were starting to flower a bit and daffodils are up. it's too early! a good frost will help kill weeds and bugs. I wasn't ready to go work in the yard. :blush:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-13 4:14 PM
I have daylilies poking about 1/4" above ground.  It's toooooooooo soon for that!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-14 5:43 AM
Unseasonably warm days are a nice treat.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-13 12:07 PM
No noticeable change to my food consumption today :meh:

Cookies...no cookies until Easter :cry:

Workout was hip & shoulder exercises then 1600 meters swimming.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-13 2:28 PM

>Cookies...no cookies until Easter :cry:

:shocker!: brutal!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-13 4:14 PM
I just checked the date of Easter.  It will be a cookie-less March!  :cry:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 6:03 PM
Lent ends on April Fools' Day!  Something to look forward to!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-14 5:44 AM
Hopefully no one will trick you an exploding cookie on April 1st! Stay strong!
- - By george [us] Date 2018-02-13 12:31 PM
Easy 7.3 sunny miles with 8 strides in the last few miles.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 4:35 PM
:cool:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 6:02 PM
Good stuff all round!
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-13 12:33 PM
I'm going to shoot for 7 or 8 after work tonight.

Nothing yesterday. A quick trip to home and back to take care of some family stuff so most of the day was spent driving.

Feeling kind of down today. Maybe because I woke up last night and then had trouble falling asleep again.

I've never been a "bucket list" type person but for some reason recently I've been thinking of a couple of bucket list type items..
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-13 2:28 PM
it's always fun to think of bucket list items.  :happy:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 4:35 PM
Those are fun thoughts :hug:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 5:35 PM
You went to Buffalo?
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-13 6:58 PM
yup.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 7:29 PM
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 6:02 PM
Sleepless nights affect my mood a lot - I hope you get a good night's rest tonight.
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-02-13 12:58 PM
10 miles before work.

We had all 3 of the gang this morning. For various reasons we managed to have 2 for most of these AM runs but it had been a while since all 3 of us were together. Temperatures were just under 50 but there was a decent wind that made it feel colder. I was ok without gloves but it was right on the edge when we were running into the wind.

I grew up Catholic so still maintain the meatless Friday’s for Lent even though I go to a Lutheran Church now. I was in New Orleans 2 weeks ago and caught one of the first Mardi Gras parades which was pretty crazy. A number of events we attended were serving King Cakes which were ok but nothing too exciting.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 4:53 PM
Sounds like a good group and good run!
I bet the parade today is totally crazy!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 6:01 PM
You do ten miles before work on Tuesday and Thursday, right?
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-13 1:46 PM
Never done the whole “party for Mardi Gras” thing. :shrug:  But I will party post-marathon on April 16:cool:

Not planning to give anything up this year...  Since my wife passed away, I’ve drifted into agnostic territory and I have very mixed feelings about organized religion and rules/traditions such as giving something up for Lent. Organized religion was something very important to K - we both grew up Catholic and went to an Episcopal church for most of the last 14 years she was alive. But organized religion also stirred up a lot in her mind and actually contributed to her mental illness issues getting a lot worse and ultimately leading her to take her own life. Thus the very mixed feelings. Some days I just want to go walk through a park and shout skyward “If you exist, WTF? WTF, WTF, WTF?!?!?!” 

I may take on doing 20 push-ups daily, but that would be purely for pagan reasons. Combined with some leg weights and other core stuff, in theory that will enable me to run faster on marathon day.

Last night I felt awful - nasty cold, exhausted. This morning I slept in and it helped a lot. Feeling better. Going to take it easy tonight and planning to run tomorrow.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-13 2:27 PM
hope you are on the downside of the cold.

i have a lot of issues with organized religion too especially when it is not a source of comfort and direction.  :hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 4:54 PM
Where is your marathon?

Glad you're feeling better! :grin:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 5:36 PM
He's running Boston!:cool:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-13 5:45 PM
The course passes within a mile of my house:cool:.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 6:01 PM
:cool::cool:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 6:24 PM
I hope you get rid of that cold!

When my brother died, I realized I was grateful to be an atheist. I knew that if I had been a believer, I would have been so, so angry. I was (still am) angry, but I felt like I had already come to terms with much of the randomness of the universe, and, FWIW, that made it very slightly easier.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-13 8:32 PM
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-13 2:25 PM
nope. i was raised catholic and was done with that at an early age. :grin: I am making some dietary changes right now but it doesn't have to do with lent. it has to do with busy season at work. There is just constant food at work and i'm tired at all the food decisions. So i think i'm going to try vegan eating before 5 pm. it's not that much different than how i normally eat during the day but gives me a better rule in place at work to resist all the crap. and yes, a lot of the food we carry at work would be considered "healthy" but there is just so much of it, it's not possible for it to be healthy. :meh: 

busy yesterday. ran 5 and it was just beautiful with the sliver of a moon over the lake. This morning was track and it was 29 degrees. we are moving a group run to the morning but since this was the first time trying this as a group run, just got one other person to show. it was chilly but no wind at all but i think the cold and dark at 5;30 am maybe was a bit much for a couple other people who bailed.:laugh:  Just 4 x 400 at just a bit under expected 2 mile race pace. I have the next and last 2 mile race saturday. i cut the workout and cool down short because i needed to be into work early because of a dental appointment. I will do some strength stuff this evening.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 4:56 PM
Good workouts!! :cool:

Good plan to avoid some of the food decisions!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 6:00 PM
Nice workouts!  The morning workout sounds so gorgeous - beside the lake with a sliver of moon, wow.  :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 6:19 PM
When I worked in an office, I hated how everyone brought in food (birthday celebrations, leftovers from luncheons, correctly themed holiday candies...:roll: It was nearly impossible to bypass it all, there was just so much. And I was 2 sizes bigger than I am now.:laugh:

29° and 5:30 am don't mix well.:laugh: Kudos for getting it done!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-14 9:11 AM
Nice workout! :cool:
- - By ironjen Date 2018-02-13 3:29 PM
I'm posting because of the lent question. I am heathen so I don't do lent. That said this question came up in one of the FB groups I am in and someone replied that they don't give up anything but take on an obligation. I was all WHYTF would anyone ADD an obligation. When I questioned her she said she means something like doing something for someone else or dropping a card in the mail to someone, stuff like that. I think her definition of obligation is vastly different from mine as I would not qualify what she is doing as an obligation so much just being a good person. So I guess for her being nice is an obligation. Nice huh?
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-13 4:23 PM
:laugh::laugh: that's funny!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-13 5:22 PM
I guess you just got stuck in the word, eh? I too, add an obligation. Your friend and I must have had the same mother!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 6:12 PM
Yes, I think you and Jen's friend are using the word in a slightly different sense than it's commonly used. I looked at some definitions online, and it seems that the origins of the word "obligation" when used in a religious context meant making good on a moral debt to society, like giving charity or performing a charitable act. Giving charity is literally a commandment in the Old Testament. In Europe Kings and Queens would give alms to the poor on the important holidays. Time softened a lot of the Lenten traditions, but people still use "obligation" to refer to giving charity or performing charitable acts, especially around the important holidays like Easter and Christmas, even if it's something they want to do, not something they feel they have to do.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-14 9:48 AM
I interpreted Jen's friend use the same way I used it as that is how I was taught in regards to Lent. That person likely had a similar religious upbringing as me, which is very unlike how you were raised......Jews & Catholics seem to only overlap on intense guilt thing! (Not sure about Jen's upbringing.)
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-02-14 2:26 PM
Methodist here! So yeah, totally not the same. Though I did ask my husband who went to 12 yrs of catholic school and he had no idea what I was talking about :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-02-14 7:25 AM
Oh this person and I aren't friends! But yes I got stuck on the word, and I think it's because I am not catholic so I never learned the word in the way Spin is talking about it.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 5:58 PM
You should post your dailies here - I always find your workouts fascinating!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-02-14 7:23 AM
I stopped posting for a variety of reasons but one if the biggest was trying to DO the workouts as stated when I was dealing with (still am) trying to compensate for being a newly diagnosed full on asthmatic instead of EIA which was never a huge issue for me. The last year and a half was full of physical challenges that were very frustrating.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-13 5:21 PM Edited 2018-02-13 5:24 PM
No festivities other than going to work! I am a Catholic who now attends Methodist church and as with all things, the Methodists don't seem to have all the rules which the Catholics have.....does anyone?:laugh: That said, I follow all the Catholic guidelines for Lent. (I also always carry a rosary, so the Catholic runs deep in me!) I don't give up anything, but rather, challenge myself to a do an extra thing each day which demonstrates kindness and/or tolerance.

10 miles this morning and about to head to boxing class.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 5:56 PM Edited 2018-02-13 6:00 PM
Nice workout as always!  Nice Lenten practice, too - I like the idea of committing to the discipline of adding a practice of kindness or tolerance each day.  Personally I find that more appealing than giving something up, but maybe I'm just not enough of an adult to do without my treats.  :blush:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-13 6:13 PM
That's a nice tradition.:hug:
- - By jennyO Date 2018-02-13 5:52 PM
Maybe instead of giving up something for lent I'll try doing something instead, like posting here in the dailies again.  I'm clawing my way back from the umpteenth injury of my running career (torn tendon in my glute from doing speedwork on a cold morning while OLD), and I'm thinking posting - and reading your posts - may help motivate me.

Morning:  swam 2000 meters.  IM workout, but I made it easier than usual because the pool was closed all last week & I'm a little out of swim shape.

Lunch:  50 minutes elliptical, plus leg weights & core routine.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-02-13 5:58 PM
Injuries, ugh.  I wish you all the luck in staying un-hurt, at leat through Lent!  :wink:

Does "IM" mean Ironman?:wink:
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-02-14 12:38 PM
Ha!  IM = intermediate medley.  It's a standard series of strokes in swimming: butterfly, back, breast, freestyle.

I did train for and complete one Ironman in 2015 when I was injured and crosstraining a ton.  The thought occurred to me to sign up for another one, but the one I did got bought out by the corporate behemoth and is now ridiculously expensive.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-14 9:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your injury! That sounds painful. :cry:
- By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-02-13 6:33 PM Edited 2018-02-13 6:44 PM
I am getting ready for the  burning of the Nubbel now.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Fat Tuesday Dailies