Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Weekend RR/NRR
- - By swandive Date 2018-02-10 10:34 AM
Sorry I haven't been around much lately.  Post!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-02-10 10:39 AM
I ran 16.3 this morning, my longest run since before Christmas.  Admittedly the past couple of months have been a bit hectic with no signs that it will get any better.  Anyway, felt awful last night but had a pretty good run this morning.  It's about 50*F with low-lying clouds and a lot of mist, but not really raining.  I stop every hour or so on long runs and the second time I stopped I was sitting on a guardrail and a guy driving by (I'd guess he was in his 60s) stopped to tell me I was awesome. :laugh:  He lives not terribly far from me so I guess he's seen me out running many times. :laugh:  I'm not sure that continually putting one foot in front of another is all that impressive... : pbbt:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-02-10 11:29 AM
Nice run! Hope things get a little less hectic for you.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-02-10 9:13 PM
You are awesome!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:26 AM
It is to some people. How many people start something and give it up after a few times?  You have been at this a while.   I have a weakness for anytime anyone especially a non-runner wants to talk about or compliment my running.  Some people hate that, but it's better than someone starting a conversation about something you have no interest in.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-11 9:11 AM
you are most definitely awesome, because of your dedication to running, along with many other things! Take the compliment - you deserve it!
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-02-10 11:29 AM
-10 windchill so 18 mile TM run 9 at sub 8 pace. Now to finish getting ready for O's bday party and 12 8 yo girls :shocker!: what was I thinking? Every year I assume a few won't make it but nope they all can! Good thing I made her cut the list in half. Off to go pick up a cake...
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-02-10 9:07 PM
Ugh on the nasty weather.  That's a long (but fast!) treadmill run.

That's a lot of children. :shocker!:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-02-10 9:13 PM
That's a long time on the mill!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:28 AM
You just killed my, "I can only do a few miles on the treadmill"  excuse. That is dedication!:cool:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-02-10 9:12 PM
Water was 47, air was 40. Great swim, lots of chop.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-02-11 2:31 AM
Sounds chilly, good for you!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:28 AM
BRRRR
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-02-11 2:08 PM
Brrr, that's cold!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-02-11 6:56 PM
Nice weather for running, but sounds chilly for swimming! :laugh:
Parent - - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-02-11 2:41 AM
No running to report as usual, but plenty of cross-country skiing, probably around 100 km in all! :grin: Just got back from a x-country skiing trip to Austria with a group of 30 Icelanders. We stayed in a small town called Seefeld where everything is about skiiing, they are going to host the world championships in Nordic skiing next year.

It was a wonderful trip in every way, plenty of snow, mostly great weather and fantastic company. But the best thing of all: my body which has given me a lot of grief lately was totally fine with all this exercise, woohoo! :grin: We realized soon that our old skis were not working as well as they should so we got advice on new skis to buy and goodness, what a difference! Fischer Nordic Touring Orbiter Crown for those who are interested. And we made a lot of progress this week and hope to continue i.e. if the weather calms down over here, we've had storm after storm and were lucky to get home yesterday. I just love this sport, it exercises the whole body and being out in the mountain air is wonderful for body and soul.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:29 AM
It's great you have found a sport you are excited about.  :grin:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-02-13 12:42 PM
Actually, I re-discovered it. Also, having better skis makes it a lot more fun. But yes, finding the right sport makes all the difference!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-02-11 6:56 PM
Wow, sounds like a great trip! :cool:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-02-13 12:43 PM
It really was. Can't imagine a better one.:cool:
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:16 AM
That sounds like a lovely trip!
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-02-13 12:43 PM
:cool::grin:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:22 AM
For today's delightful weather in the midwest we have 15 degrees (aka really cold), light snow showers with a glaze of icy rain underneath. Give your treadmill a hug because you will be spending lots of time together.  : pbbt:

I woke up, dressed up and went outside to test the street.  The verdict was slick.  So todays group run was cancelled. :sad: We originally had tickets to an out of town hockey game but they moved the game up to 11 am (it's a TV thing apparently).  My back up person for the run was in Cozumel (lucky) so we had to sell the tickets.  In other words, I was really committed to doing the run and I loathed to cancel it but what are you going to do?

So hopefully 4 plus miles on the treadmill today.  Yesterday turned into an indoor run (6 miles) too, but at least I ws able to fit some weights in and make it worthwhile.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-02-11 8:26 AM
Sounds like we had your roads yesterday, though your temps are way colder! Do I remember correctly that you're in MO?:wtf:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:33 AM
I am and we have had a pretty steady winter here.  A few nice days, but then right back to BRRRR.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-02-11 8:40 AM
Mini and Mr. Sticky are in mo visiting the in laws. Didn't realize it was that much colder there. I got to skip that part of the trip this year. Though I will miss the BBQ...
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-12 3:07 PM
They barbecue in this weather?!
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-02-12 7:43 PM
:wtf: Of course you barbecue in snow - how else would you prepare bratwurst for football games.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-02-12 9:08 PM
Yes! We are planning BBQ when it hits 30s this week!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-02-11 6:57 PM
15* and snow sounds nice, if not for the ice!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 7:44 PM
I'd have done it if not for the ice.  It's like any sport where you get psyched up and the game gets cancelled. It's a let down.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-11 9:12 AM
putting it out there so it will happen - I shall run 7 miles outside in the rain.  It is not cold - 50 degrees - and not windy. Just very wet.  I can do it! I shall report back upon completion!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 11:04 AM
See. You at the finish!
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:01 PM
Done! I got soaked. It poured the whole time :laugh: good thing I have 2 pairs of shoes!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 1:25 PM
I've done some rainy runs just to say I'm not a wimp. It can get pretty cold when you are wet.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-02-11 6:59 PM
Well done!  Even if it's not miserably cold, the worst part for me is actually deciding to step out there and get soaking wet.  I do better if it's only kinda wet when I start then it gets wetter once I'm already out there. :blush:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-02-11 5:29 PM
Synchro this morning. Followed by 2 hours of gardening.  Tonight is my mom's birthday party so I just put the finishing touches on her cake. I think I used too much ganache.  Oh well. :laugh:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-02-11 6:59 PM
Hopefully your mom is one of those people who thinks that "too much ganache" isn't a thing. :laugh:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-02-11 10:09 PM
Yes, there's no such thing as too much ganache! :grin:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-12 7:13 AM
Who would not like that?:laugh:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-02-11 9:02 PM
Had 3 days of biking in a row...not sure when that last happened!  Although yesterday was only 25 minutes, I was watching speed skating, the women's 500...so I went very hard during the races. :laugh:  Today I wanted to do my favorite indoor route, Tuscaloosa, which is hilly and 25 miles and I always want to catch the people in the video. : pbbt:  So it's become my workout where I really push the pace the whole time.   I got in the zone 4 bpm below LT and was surprised that the watts were so good.  :cool:  I ended up averaging 11 watts greater than 2 weeks ago, so that makes me very happy!  I've been just inching the watts up, killing myself and getting the same watts or maybe 1 more... So it's great to have a sudden gain!  :grin:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-12 7:14 AM
Do you just have a standard trainer and some videos you use or one of those ones (like a Peloton)  with a built in video screen?
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-02-12 10:13 AM
It's a computrainer, and we have a few race day videos that are filmed during a race.  The trainer is calibrated to match the grade of the course you are riding, if you choose to ride a course.  This one is the National Championships Triathlon at Tuscaloosa.  A person rides a motorcycle and films the race while it is taking place.  The GPS is used to get the exact grade of the entire course.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-12 11:03 AM
:shocker!:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-02-11 9:24 PM
Oh FFS, the peanut gallery that decided on an accent tile for the bathroom six weeks ago has now decided that they don't actually like that tile (which we've had for weeks and everyone has seen, but apparently no one actually looked at until today), so we should just start over. :mutmad:  I am not responsible if the project is not completed in a timely manner. :meh:  I do not care what tile is used.  It is not my bathroom.  But I am not responsible if they now choose a tile that costs 3x as much and will take weeks to get.  I'm not using the shower so it's not my fvcking problem if it never gets done. :grin::meh:  I think I'm putting down the floor tile tomorrow before anyone has a chance to change their mind. :meh:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-02-11 10:10 PM
:shocker!::mutmad::cry:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-12 7:09 AM
Omg... :cry::cry::cry:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-12 3:09 PM
Put it down anyway. It was chosen, it was ordered, it was bought, it's going in. Deal with it, princess.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-02-12 8:45 PM
The people who don't like it are the ones paying for it. :meh:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-10 2:39 PM
4.5 cold cloudy miles this morning -- I'm in Texas. Heading home this afternoon. 5.25 yesterday before a packed day of meetings.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-02-10 9:07 PM
Safe travels!
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-02-11 2:31 AM
Have a good trip back!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:22 AM
Texas is looking really good right now, but I understand it's been cold in the northern part this year.
- - By stickywicket Date 2018-02-11 8:23 AM
Help me get dressed!
Going out for my first outdoor run since getting over here. Keep in mind I'm acclimated to 80 degrees or so at the moment.

Current temps outside -1 Celsius, I guess about 30 Fahrenheit. I had to pull out all sorts of clothes I haven't worn in 7 years. :shocker!: On top I have a long base layer, another long sleeved shirt, and another thicker long sleeve shirt. Do I need a jacket on top of that? Or am I going to melt?
Bottom - all I have at the moment is one pair of long tights. They're not super thick. Should I put something else on? All I'd have is a pair of short tights to put under them.
I have gloves - not thick. And a hat.

Roads were crazy icy yesterday, but hoping today is a bit better. At least before precipitation starts again.

Should I go out? Should I just skulk back to a treadmill? 7 years people! It's been 7 years!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:31 AM
Here you go:

https://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

I use this all the time.  I sometimes go more layers when it gets down to 0 F than they suggest and handwarmers in mittens are a life saver below 30 degrees. Always a hat btw.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-02-11 8:38 AM
Ok...sounds like I may have too many layers on top. I don't have mittens or hand warmers but could layer my regular wooly gloves over the running gloves.
Ok. Deep breath and out the door. Hopefully I won't be back for about 45 min.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:49 AM
I go heavier on top. My legs are moving so they don't get as cold.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-02-11 9:40 AM
Woo! I'm back. Was on the verge of warm. Probably could have taken off one of the top layers but I prefer to be warm than cold. : pbbt: route mostly ok. Sidewalks were not cleared and road shoulders were non existent, but most of the ice from yesterday was gone. And being outdoors definitely felt better than the mill. Slightly shorter than I intended. I'll have to find a loop to add somewhere next time.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-11 11:05 AM
I don't mind being a little  warm, but I HATE being too cold.:cry:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-02-11 6:52 PM
What is wrong with you people?  A bit cold is ok, but I hate being warm.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-11 6:40 PM
If you are in the state I suspect you are in, they don't put shoulders on most of the roads. Glad you enjoyed the run!
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-02-11 11:40 PM
If I'm thinking of the state you're thinking I'm in, that's not the one. I'm not with the ILs. And also, I had a 7hr layover in LA on the way in! I was going to try to get in touch but the forum was down. :cry:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-12 3:10 PM
Glad you are not being forced to visit the ILs.

The weekend the forum was down was not a good time for doing anything that had not been scheduled in advance. Not that I wouldn't love to see you, but every minute of that weekend was busy. Run with someone, tangerine pick, church, lemon pick, dinner with family.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-02-12 8:15 PM
Nope. But one of the ILs will be making their way up here...ministicky is going to stay with me while DH goes back to NZ. I'll have one more week of work to do. So MIL is coming up to watch him when I work. Yeah. It's going to be fine, right?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-15 11:39 AM
I would think so. Sounds like she is more tolerant than FIL, and she is likely happy to see mini -- and to be away from her DH for a while!

I'm more worried about Mr. Sticky getting back to NZ. He may find that bird on the front porch, doing the potty dance, squawking about "where have you BEEN? Open up, I gotta poo!"
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-02-15 2:36 PM
:laugh:

Ok, I'm posting this because this will likely be buried over here but - when I flew in on my 15 hr flight, I scrolled through many movies and settled on a documentary about abortions in MO. It was pretty interesting, following the stories of a few women and the repercussions of the 72hr waiting period on lower income and single moms, as well as a few of the doctors and protesters. I got off the plane and told DH he should watch it when he flies. So he did. And then he texted me after he landed that if if you look carefully at the small group of protesters outside the planned parenthood clinic, you can see MIL standing there with a sign. :laugh::cry: he wasn't sure whether to mention her 15 min of fame to her or not. I'll have to watch it again on my way back.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-02-15 2:46 PM
"fame" is right!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-02-15 5:34 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::cry::laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-15 5:36 PM
Hoo boy. I would NOT mention it and hope Mr. Sticky doesn't either.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-11 6:41 PM
6.5 miles this morning in very, very windy weather. 47 degrees and gusts probably 40 mph. I came back a lot faster than I went out!
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-02-11 10:11 PM
Oh, ugh!  I hate the wind.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Weekend RR/NRR