Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Olympic Saterday daylies
- - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 9:36 AM
6.56 miles

I haven't watched any of the Olympics yet, let's check it out :cool:

Why did they kick Trump and Kim Jong Un out from the Olympic opening ceremony, they were there to wish peace to the world :sad:
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-02-10 11:32 AM
8.6 miles

10¢ (1 coin)

51º & sunny at 0650

Inov8 220
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-10 1:02 PM
I miss 8 mile runs and the sun.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 4:59 PM
Seems like people are picking up their change more, or someone is running your routes snagging your loot :shocker!:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:03 PM
Nice addition to your retirement account :wink: 
Nice weather, too!!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-02-10 6:44 PM
ONE DIME!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-10 7:01 PM
Showoff.:roll:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-02-11 11:19 PM
Every once in a while he gets on a pretty good hot streak.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-10 12:39 PM
Wish peace on the world.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 5:01 PM
well isn't it censorship? Aren't you allowed to come dressed up :wtf:
It'd not like they were dressed like Hitler wearing swastikas (although the North Korean regime may have some serious blood on their hands).
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-10 1:01 PM
Glad you got the run in!
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 5:02 PM
yes, I need to get back in a rhythm. Today was fine.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-02-10 3:57 PM
6.3 rainy miles for me today
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-02-10 5:32 PM
:laugh: They were great imposters and might have been able to make peace if given a chance.

I've watched the opening ceremonies which I thought were awesome and watched a lot of events today. But I did take a break to run with the hound in the cold rain this afternoon. Only 2.5 miles which was more than enough for both of us cold drowned rats.
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) [ca] Date 2018-02-11 1:14 PM
Day late.
13.15 miles
6:41 pace

2 degrees. Paths are still a little slick in spots. Early run.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-10 12:11 PM
My workout will be leading a fun spin class late this afternoon for a bunch of folks from my running club. 

Dinner with them afterwards at a local chain's brewery/restaurant will also be fun.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-10 1:00 PM
That does sound like a fun day!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:05 PM
Hope your running club puts in a good showing :cool:  Sounds like a fun time!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-10 7:24 PM
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-10 7:51 PM
Nice photo!
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-10 12:47 PM
20 miles in Saddle River Park this morning. I almost bagged going out because of forecasts that called for rain in the morning, and I'm so glad I didn't! No rain, mostly ice-free paths, two friends met me at mile 9 and ran the rest with me, and it turned into an awesome run! I felt great (thanks Tailwind!), and it was more than 15 minutes faster than my last 20 mile run, in spite of a 90 minute tough spin class yesterday.:grin: I'm feeling optimistic!

I watched a lot of the opening ceremonies last night. Does Kim Jong Un's sister look like a Bond villain or what?:laugh: And what's with Pence up and disappearing right before the North and South Korean athletes marched out together?:roll: What a bunch of weenies.:meh::roll:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-02-10 12:51 PM
Great job! Are you doing the full or half in Delaware?
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 11:54 AM
It looks like our house is on the market that weekend, Delaware is now unlikely.:sad: Some friends are trying to talk me into doing the 100 in MD 2 weeks later, and so far I'm resisting, but if I can't run Delaware, maybe I can do the 100. Really good food at that one, but the company won't be as good!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-10 12:57 PM
Glad you were able to have a successful 20 miler going into your race.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 11:54 AM
Thanks.:grin:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-10 2:53 PM
Pence :meh::meh::meh::meh: :barf:

NICE JOB on the 20! very impressive. Glad the weather was ok - and wtg on the 15 min improvement over last week. Excellent!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 11:56 AM
Thanks!
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 4:19 PM
great run!

You could just say "what's up with Pence?". That dude is such a phoney.
Obama would have jumped right into the middle of that North Korean delegation and say "wassup Dudes :cool:", Pence was just looking smug not making eye contact during the ceremony, ridiculous.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:00 PM
Obama would have acted like a professional, not like junior high kids.:roll: Don't get me wrong, Kim Jong Il is a psycho monster, but first, that's when diplomacy is most needed, and second, the night was about the athletes! Pence was a douche.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:08 PM
Nice you had company for the second half of the run!  Congrats on getting out and trying in spite of the forecast.  Ya' never know....

Does Kim Jong Un's sister look like a Bond villain or what?  :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:01 PM
Yeah, I need to actually go outside more often.:roll: Usually I look at the detailed forecast the night before and decide then. That method fails more than it succeeds.:meh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:13 PM
Same thing happens to us here all the time.  :mutmad:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-10 6:27 PM
:cool::hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:02 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-10 7:15 PM
Nice run! :cool: What time were you in the park? I got a late start due to street hockey playoffs for stepkid #1 this morning. I headed out from my house around 11 so I probably hit the Saddle River part of the park around 11:30. The rain started around 1, I got stuck in it! : pbbt:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:04 PM
I started my run at 7:30am, met up with Jackie and her friend Ben at 9, finished at about 11:10 ish. So we just missed you! Next time I'll let you know and if you want you can join us. It looks like Ben will be a regular from now on, he set a nice long run pace.
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-10 12:56 PM
Our Saturday run was cancelled due to slick streets. I drove to the gym and ran 6 miles indoors. It wasn't bad. While I was out and about, I knocked out some other things that needed to be done. I also took the opportunity to do that missing weight training session I skipped yesterday when I took my SDO. 

I am back at home wondering about tomorrow's weather and not planning to go anywhere for awhile.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 5:06 PM
I like planning not to do anything :laugh:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:10 PM
Another storm :shocker!::sad:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-10 7:04 PM
It was more re-freezing than an actual storm.  We have 40% chance of snow tonight, but I cancelled the Sunday run 3 weeks ago and hoping I won't have to this time. A little snow is ok as long as I can get out.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:05 PM
Icy streets are the worst! I like my treadmill, I work harder on it than I do outdoors.
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-02-10 12:57 PM
20 miles.

I hadn’t gone above 17 miles yet this year, but our local marathon is in 3 weeks so I *had* to get 20 in today. Forecast was calling for rain but we ended up with fog and mid-50 degree temps. Not a huge fan of 100% humidity but we were glad not to have any rain. There were 3 5K’s within a few miles of each other so we ran a part of the middle one that started at 9 AM. They had beer at the finish but the one buddy I saw there wouldn’t share any so I am now questioning our friendship :laugh: I had a lovely nap when I got home and am moving on to my honey-do items.

I only saw a portion of the opening ceremony last night because I had 2 soccer games and got home after 9 and needed to eat and get to sleep to be ready for this morning.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-10 1:00 PM
I'm glad you were able to run 20 and participate in the local 5K if not the finishing festivities.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 5:07 PM
I wish I was back to those volumes, although I always felt training for a marathon like a drag.
But I sure enjoyed being in shape running 20k-25k casually feeling like it took no effort.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:12 PM
Always good to knock out 20!! :cool:

I agree though, what kind of buddy doesn't share beer? :meh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:06 PM
Nice 20!
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-10 1:12 PM
Roads were shite so it was 6 miles on the treadmill.  Molly has quickly learned to hate this option......anyway we just got back from fun times in and around the river with Molly & Friends
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-10 2:54 PM
is Molly a canine or human companion?

sounds like the tm was the right call
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-10 6:30 PM
Molly is one of my 3 canines....and at this point the only one who can run (and needs to run)

I put the ipod on shuffle and the first 4 songs were great and then I hit a real slow spot but at least I could see my reflection in a window and tried to look like Hasselhoff on the beach
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-10 7:16 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-10 9:57 PM
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 5:09 PM
dogs want to go outside. Do you have to lock the dog out of the room while you're running :wtf:
I'm guessing they'd want to play and jump on you.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-10 6:32 PM
No the dogs are all okay with the treadmill.  Molly actually usually settles on the couch with her legs on the armrest and watches me.  (Our routine even if she runs outside is a walk to the river after with more dogs so she knows she's getting something after......it just pays off to run her too as she is high energy) :hug:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:13 PM
In addition to not getting to run outside, I imagine the noise of a TM would not be something Molly would enjoy
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-10 6:33 PM
She's quite laid back about the noise.  Her whole existence is based on going for adventures so this kind of sucks for her.:hug:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-10 1:28 PM
18 miles.

Really good conversation last night with former girlfriend. She seems happy for me that I’m at the beginning stages of a promising new relationship. She’s been dating a bit but hasn’t found anything lasting yet. We talked a lot about our time together and she helped me figure out some things about myself that can help me make myself a better partner in the future; I think i did the same for her. We laughed about a lot of stuff and generally had a good time in our new role as friends. Having lost my previous significant other (my wife) to, well, death...I’m really appreciating that we’re keeping in touch.

3 kiddo games tomorrow futsal + 2 basketball. Dinner out tonight for my son’s 16th b’day.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-10 2:55 PM
:hug: that sounds like a great conversation last night.  Very mature! But really - I'm happy that you can have such a great friendship with your ex.

happy 16th to your son!
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 5:12 PM
I love playing indoor soccer :cool:
Glad your life is moving along and you get plenty of support!

Also great run!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:15 PM
It's very cool that you two can learn from each other and remain supportive friends :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:09 PM
Death sucks.:meh:

Happy birthday to your son! Is 16 driver's permit time?
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-10 2:37 PM
10.1 miles on trails marking a 7 mile course for a group run. Marking with running partner too so chatty run although she's a lot faster than me but tapering for a 100k she'll be doing next week. 2:20 time which is pretty good for marking and on trails. Beautiful out and I really enjoyed myself. :grin: I tried out a new pair of trail running shoes too. hoka challengers. i think these will work. :happy:

watching olympics now! loved watching biathlon and short track speed skating is insane. :shocker!: Will start doing the house project i need to start prepping here in a bit. Ballet (Swan Lake) with mom this evening. :hug:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-10 2:55 PM
sounds like a very fun run!
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 5:15 PM
xc skiing is probably even dirtier than cycling, you just rarely hear about it :laugh:

I enjoy running into the dirt so I actually took a muddy field trail during my run as well. It was a bit more muddy than expected. :grin:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:16 PM
Swan Lake with your mom :hug::hug:   Sounds amazing!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:10 PM
Let me know how you like the Hokas. I haven't found a pair that work for me since the original Bondis came out. I stick with Altras, but the cushioning isn't as good.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-11 6:12 PM
i run in hoka cliftons as my daily trainer. so they work for me and have taken care of the issue i always had with long runs of my feet just feeling pounded. i was having the same trouble with any trail shoe for any longer run (longer as in longer than about 90 minutes) but i'd resisted hokas because i was afraid the higher stack height would be more of a falling hazard. but now i'm used to hokas as a daily shoe and i don't think that'll be an issue. I can't do the altras. i really can't do zero drop shoes even though i do like the way altras fit and feel.
- By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-10 2:55 PM
6 miles today. Haven't turned the TV on yet today but will likely do some olympics viewing this evening.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-10 3:10 PM
20 miles.....first  mile solo and last 3 solo, so those miles sucked, but the remaining 16 miles weren't bad. It was super windy when I started at 7:15 as a front was moving in. During my run, the temp dropped from 45 to 33. :shocker!: I knew that was going to happen, so I dressed for the colder weather and we ran into the wind when it was "warmer".

Blazerman is at golf weekend where the guys he plays with meet up with a bunch of guys from Houston......somewhere between Dallas & Houston.....and they have a Ryder Cup-like tournament. Wherever they are, it is apparently as cold as it is here because he has sent me whining texts about the weather.:roll:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-10 7:20 PM
blazerman :laugh::laugh:
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 4:35 PM Edited 2018-02-10 4:38 PM
3 miles late in the morning.  I mean, after 20 yesterday, I knew it wouldn't be easy to run but :shocker!::cry:  it was so bad it was almost funny.  Usually I set a distance goal and then after the first mile, I start feeling better and renegotiate and extend.  This time, I got about .25 miles into a planned 4 mile run and wondered if I could even make 2  BLEAH!!  I settled on 3 and will not disclose the pace : pbbt:

Last night, we really enjoyed the opening ceremonies on DVR so we didn't have to wait for all the commercials :evil:.  My former boss was dressed in a mariachi suit as he led the Mexican delegation :roll: His FB page has been overloaded :cool: he's so happy.

One cool thing about the music during the ceremonies:  when the Korean athletes entered, I recognized a folk song played last night on electric guitar.  Over 40 years ago, that same tune was the theme for a collection of variations that my band performed at a summer music camp.  Not sure why it's stuck with me all these years:  my first exposure to a pentatonic music?  A catchy melody?  One of my friends was Korean-American and her mom told us what the song meant. In retrospect, I'll bet that was a cool mother/daughter moment :hug:  after all this time, I still recognized the music and I thought it was pretty cool to know the connection.  So, for all you teachers/band directors out there who wonder if your work will ever pay off...there is hope!! :happy:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 5:18 PM
What? your Boss led the Mexican delegation :wtf::shocker!:
Was he wearing the flag :wtf:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:27 PM
I did a post about this a couple of days ago if you want more details.  My former boss is from Mexico, like a huge percentage of the people here.  He and his wife operate a running store here, where I worked for the past three years.  He's always wanted to be in the Olympics, originally as a swimmer but that didn't happen.  Someone in Mexico was trying to get people to try for the xc ski team.  German is a 15+ Ironman finisher, so he had the endurance already.  He just didn't know how to ski, so he started learning last year and made the qualifying points in January of this year.  Really.  In January :shocker!:.  I was as relieved for his wife as I was for him.  He's 43 and now an Olympian and ridiculously happy :grin:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 6:47 PM
Good luck to him!
XC is very competitive in the Nordic and Scandinavian countries.
I've ran a couple of half-marathons there and for them running is just a week to keep fit for the XC season :wink:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:50 AM
Ok, that is such a cool story about your boss!!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:13 PM
Such a great story about your former boss.:cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-11 12:38 PM
I'm happy for him but I'm also really glad I don't work for him anymore :roll::evil:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-02-11 6:07 PM
that's amazing!
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 5:26 PM
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 5:31 PM
Yep!  German (pronounced "Herman") Madrazo.  I thought it was kind of a drag that Couric talked about the obviously non-Latina woman instead of German, but I'm biased.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-10 6:46 PM
There are actually 2 "naturalized" athletes competing in XC skiing for Belgium as well.
I put it in quotes, because these are Germans that probably wouldn't qualify for the German team, so they just took the Belgian nationality as well and can compete for our country.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 7:20 PM
German doesn't have a prayer in competition.  He just wanted to be an Olympian.  But he is absolutely Mexican, from Queretero.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-11 8:51 AM
Couric's commentary in general was uninspired.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-02-11 12:27 PM
Seriously and way to make the Tongan guy into a sex object instead of an athlete. Though I will say if you oil yourself up you kind of open yourself up for that. That said Couric should damn well know better than to do that.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-11 1:22 PM
totally agree!!
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-10 7:12 PM
12 miles today, cutback week in marathon training.

I did 6 last night with the yaktrax as everything was still frozen. No speedwork for me yesterday morning as I woke up at 5am with a raging migraine, so I took meds and went back to bed for 2 hours. More drugs when I got out of bed pretty much managed it for the rest of the day. The post-work run went WAY better than I expected, I took a route where I could have bailed at any point after 3, 4, or 5 miles, but I felt good so I went the full 6 which was the runner-up run since I refuse to do speedwork on the ice.

Yesterday's daily looked fun. I am a Libra and this describes me to a T:
Strengths: Cooperative,diplomatic, gracious, fair-minded, social
Weaknesses: Indecisive, avoids confrontations, will carry a grudge, self-pity (as I age the self-pity thing has gone by the wayside)
Libra likes: Harmony, gentleness, sharing with others, the outdoors
Libra dislikes: Violence, injustice, loudmouths, conformity

I would love to do the ski jump, it looks so fun! :grin: I watched that, luge, and some curling today, right now it's the women's 15k xc skiing event. :cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-11 6:36 AM
running on ice with the remnants of a migraine has to count for some degree of badass-ness in comparison to speedwork

The things a libra dislikes are why we are friends :hug:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Olympic Saterday daylies