Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Finally Friday Dailies
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 9:42 AM
Rise and shine people!!!

I am not running today. It is my rest day.

Also, as a follow up to yesterday's birthday question, do you think your "sign" reflects some of your personality traits?

Me? Why yes. I am a Libra. I am indecisive about even stupid simple things sometimes and seek balance.

Bonus. What winter Olympic sport would you like to try?
Me. Curling. Don't laugh. It looks fun :happy: Like bowling on ice. It use to be on TV in Buffalo when I was growing up. Probably on one of the Canadian channels.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-09 12:22 PM
I will probably skip running today unless (shocked) I decide to do a few miles on the road which I don't see happening. Trails are a mess right now from the snow, ice, heavy rain the other day. A slippery ice crunchy mess. That said I did run about 4.5 miles on the local trail last night. You could actually run on most of the trail, though there were a few skating rink patches that I tiptoed around. I kept it pretty slow and easy though. It was sort of funny, I ran this same route on Wednesday right after the snow turned over to rain and my footprints in the snow/ice were still there, frozen in time. The Lady's too. Also very strange I've been running this same route a lot the past month as it's convenient and typically see just one or two people. Last night, with the most awful trail conditions all year I saw a half dozen or more, including another runner. I did make it to the gym today for the usual routine.

Cancer Traits
Strengths: Tenacious, highly imaginative, loyal, emotional, sympathetic, persuasive
Weaknesses: Moody, pessimistic, suspicious, manipulative, insecure
Cancer likes: Art, home-based hobbies, relaxing near or in water, helping loved ones, a good meal with friends
Cancer dislikes: Strangers, any criticism of Mom, revealing of personal life

A lot of these are me, well except for the art thing. I am not artistically inclined, at least in terms of drawing and painting. I not manipulative either and just mildly insecure (like public speaking). Hate that.

Bonus: Probably the most realistic would be cross country skiing, but I think it would be fun to be a passenger in a bobsled.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 12:26 PM
I remember when I started training for my first 100..It was during the winter and I was just learning the trails where I now often run. It was good there was snow on the ground because then I could see how I was running around in circles :laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-09 12:30 PM
This is a small area, and it's an out/back and then 3 loops of another park to get in about 5 miles. So my footprints were frozen all over the place.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 12:34 PM
XT was here! :happy:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:16 PM
Maybe cabin fever got to all those folks out yesterday since the weather was just going to get worse? 

Seriously, who does like public speaking?  Ugh!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 9:15 PM
I think runners will come out in the worst conditions just to say they did. I once cancelled a group run and had 4 people show up.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:12 PM
Love those rest days !!

I saw a youtube clip where someone had superimposed cats on top of the curling stones, and it was waaaaaay more entertaining!  I believe that if I don't find something interesting, it's because I don't understand it, but even when we were visiting some friends who were Canadian and very into curling, I still didn't get it.  It would probably take actually playing the game to make sense of it.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-02-09 5:39 PM
Still crunchy icy snow along the river at lunchtime, actually still clean and white and with good footing and it's fun hearing the crunch every step. :happy: 5 miles.

I trust that you're enjoying your rest day. :cool: I'm sort of fitting an Aries, at least the strengths of being courageous, determined, confident, enthusiastic, optimistic, honest and passionate. The weaknesses don't really fit, as anyone who knows me knows that I'm not impatient, moody, short-tempered, impulsive or aggressive. Well, impulsive sometimes maybe. :laugh: But I'm patient and non-aggressive to a fault, to the point of being a total wimp sometimes. :blush:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 9:12 PM
The flaws of self grading. :meh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-02-09 9:27 PM
Yes. :meh::cry:
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) [us] Date 2018-02-09 6:11 PM
7.00 miles
6:42 pace

I wouldn't mind it being above average temps right now. 
No, signs don't reflect anything.
Try? Assuming I wasn't afraid of heights, ski jump. Favorite to watch. Biatholon.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 9:11 PM
Are you running or flying?
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2018-02-09 8:59 PM
10.2 miles

61¢ (20 coins)

mid to upper 60s at 1640

Hoka Odyssey

-  --  -  --  -  --  -  --  -

Not much of a winter sports fan but I think the luge would be cool to try.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 9:11 PM
Like a giant slide?
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2018-02-10 12:00 AM
Absolutely!
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 10:01 AM
Is this the forum version of "what's your sign?" :laugh:

I'm a Scorpio. We are big on eye contact (yes), very intense (yes), vengeful (no but I am very direct so you don't want to mess with me), and passionate (yes). I am a little bit happy go lucky for a Scorpio but I blame the running.:blush:

I don't know if there is anything to this, but I worked for a company that the owner was a Scorpio and about 1/3 of the employees were Scorpios. We filled the break room on our November monthly birthday celebration.

OK back to running . Thursday was supposed to be an SDO, but a friend called saying she would be in the neighborhood and asked if I wanted to go for a run. I worked through lunch and left at 4:15 so we could run 4 miles together. Glad I did that and today is SDO.:grin:

Skiing?
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 10:07 AM
:laugh: I guess it is!

You bring up and interesting question with your Scorpio cluster. All my siblings are/were Aries and I find there are many Aries in my life? I wonder if others have similar clusters in their lives :shocker!:

SDO buddies :cool:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-09 12:25 PM
Wow, a Scorpio conspiracy!

Well done on the run. Enjoy the SDO.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:17 PM
Nice you got to run with a friend.  That almost doesn't feel like a workout, and now you have today off :cool: Win-Win!!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-09 10:17 AM
For the 2nd time this week I subbed a cycling class for Connie.  This time at 6am...4 people showed up.  It's been an off week for morning classes :wtf: but I had 18 last night :happy:   I swam 1600 meters after class.

I'm pretty sure I have got the loyalty trait of a Cancer.  Not so sure about any of the others :meh:

Oops!   Forgot this part originally.  Bobsled and/or Downhill!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 10:26 AM
I think I am going to make the tuna crock-pot casserole this weekend.

I'm too much of a scaredy cat to do the sports you mention.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-09 12:26 PM
I've seen there are some places you can hitch a ride in a bobsled. I think Lake Placid is one.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 1:02 PM
You never can tell what's going to bring people out.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:20 PM
Weird about the morning classes :wtf:  Did you happen to notice if the pool had the same or fewer swimmers?   That's a very active morning!!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-09 6:11 PM
I'm usually in the pool on Fridays but a couple of hours later than today - 7:15.  It was 5 or 6 (the max @ 2 per lane) during most of my swim but I think that's typical at that time.  Some of the more mature folks were arriving in the aqua class pool as I finished.

My explanation for the week:
Monday = Super Bowl hangover...we are in the Philly area afterall!
Wednesday = conditions were icy
Friday = class has always been light :meh:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-02-09 10:56 AM
Shoveling followed by 3.5 snowy miles with my wife. Really pretty day.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-09 12:27 PM
Oh Mateo!!   :cry:

Nicely done.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 1:02 PM
Sounds cold!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:21 PM
TWC said that the snow was light, so shoveling wasn't as difficult.  I couldn't help but wonder how he came to this assessment.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-09 10:57 AM
I had to look up what a Sagittarius' traits are:  Curious and energetic, one of the biggest travelers among all zodiac signs. Their open mind and philosophical view motivates them to wander around the world in search of the meaning of life. Sagittarius is extrovert, optimistic and enthusiastic, and likes changes.

I am curious, energetic, and an extrovert.............the rest of it does not describe me at all.

This morning I did circuit training and 43 minutes on the elliptical.  I wish I had the time to do another 43 minutes as the episode of Scandal I was watching, has me anxious to watch the next one!

I would like to try XC skiing since it is kinda like running.  I did it once a enjoyed it.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 11:53 AM
What will you watch when Scandal is done?

I like to watch the XC skiing and biathlon during the Olympics.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-09 1:39 PM
I used to watch Blacklist every week on TV, but stopped halfway through last season for some reason.  I suspect I will catch up on that show. I am occasionally watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee which is hosted by Jerry Seinfeld.  The issue with those episodes is they are shorter.  I still have about 30 episodes of Scandal to go, so that is 15 weeks worth......I do two elliptical sessions a week.  By then, perhaps the current season which is on ABC will get loaded and then I have another 25 episodes!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 1:46 PM
:laugh: You've got it all planned out!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-09 12:28 PM
Elliptical binge watching... you could have started a new fad!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:24 PM
I'm a little amazed that show is already in its seventh season!  Was it recommended to you or do you just pick it up?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:34 PM
Blazergirl told me to watch it, but to stop during Season Four as it got stupid.  I have ignored her ever though she is 100% correct!!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 9:07 PM
I am thinking I need to incorporate elliptical as excuse to binge on Netflix while getting stronger.  I'd have to take my iPad to the gym though and knowing me I'd go off and leave it. :cry:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-09 11:08 AM
Good morning!
I'm baking the chocolate cake right now. Wish I could have a bite! Hopefully it turns out. We have no water so I can't clean up the dishes. Oops.

I went to cycle class this a.m. My resistance was WAY off so after about 15 min I decided I was cheating myself so I caused a disruption and switched bikes : pbbt: They gave me a free ride so that's good!

Gemini personality - They are sociable, communicative and ready for fun, with a tendency to suddenly get serious, thoughtful and restless - I guess that's a pretty decent descriptor. I'm not often serious and can get into a funk and not want to be sociable. Maybe that's my twin. :laugh:

For the winter olympics, I'd like to do be brave enough to try snowboarding. :grin:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 11:54 AM
Hmmmmm...cake!!

What's up with the water?
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-09 12:05 PM
They're doing some sort of utility work on the street. :wtf:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 2:26 PM
Good luck with your cake. Hope it's low mess!
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-09 3:35 PM
Well, we got water back so I did the mountain of dishes and all good now. It's not pretty but it's done. :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 9:05 PM
That describes cooking to a "T".
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:27 PM
Come on and take a free ride :cool::cool:  Hey, we could write a song!  :genius: 

Baking, and especially cleaning up afterward, is a genuine act of love :hug:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-02-09 11:43 AM
4.5 trail miles.

Met a buddy at the trails this morning for a nice 4.5 mile loop. He hates the cold so I couldn't figure out why he wanted to run this morning when it was 34 degrees rather than wait until lunch time when it was 54. The trails were a little sloppy from the rain we got on Tuesday but not too bad.

I'm a Capricorn and the traits are:

Practical and prudent
Ambitious and disciplined
Patient and careful
Humorous and reserved

The one line that caught my attention and I think will resonate with those who have come to know me was:

>They can be surprisingly and suddenly witty and subtle for the quiet, reserved individuals they seem to be.

I'd love to be good enough to do downhill skiing.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 11:56 AM
:happy:

The skiing is fun to watch.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 12:42 PM
The description does, indeed, sound accurate :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-09 1:40 PM
Yep....that about sums you up!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 2:27 PM
He probably wanted your witty company.:grin:
- - By george [us] Date 2018-02-09 12:17 PM
I was supposed to do 200s and 400s today, but it's cold, windy, and snow, so I decided to be safe and translate my workout to the treadmill. Did 9 miles with 4 miles of 1 minute hard/2 minutes easy. What fun.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 12:19 PM
Wow! Great workout :cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:28 PM
That's a good way to make TM time go faster!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 8:13 PM
Treadmills can be ok for speedwork. At least you didn't bag the workout.
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-09 1:21 PM
5.5 miles this morning

Leo:
Warm - yes
Action-oriented - yes
Driven by the desire to be loved and admired - nah, I don’t give a rat’s ass what people think of me, except for people who know me well.
Air of royalty about them - nah, I’d rather be running through mud, digging ditches, and raising hell at the bar. Royal life sounds boring.
Love to be in the limelight - nah, people can fuck off.

Bonus: There are a lot I’d like to try. Skeleton racing looks insane! Those people basically turn themselves into human cannonballs. Life and bobsled look really fun too. Curling looks fun, but I’d be more inclined to have a few beers with friends while hurling stones down the ice - and not treat it like a competitive sport. Speed skating looks like it would be a good crossover sport for a runner, although short-track looks dangerous and unpredictable (train really hard, execute your race plan and you’re in first coming around the final turn, then 2nd place wipes out and takes you out and you end up with a DNF, no medal, and a gash in your leg that requires stitches). XC skiing would be another good crossover sport for a runner. I really like Winter outdoor activities! Downhill skiing, freestyle skiing, half-pipe, ski jumping - those sports would likely land me dead or in a wheelchair.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 2:00 PM
:grin:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:32 PM
What you say about speed skating is what I find tough about ice skating -- all that work, all that preparation, and one slip :cry:  then the commentators "that was a disastrous performance.   Probably the worst I've ever seen from this skater."  I suppose it's true, but gee, do you have to be so brutal?
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-10 1:55 PM
I echo these sentiments exactly! Poor Nathan Chen on Thursday :sad: I don't know how the parents of these kids handle watching them compete. I'd be a total wreck.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 8:16 PM
I'm getting curious about skeleton racing from your description.:wtf:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-09 3:06 PM
I'm a Pisces: empathetic, reflexive, creative, blah blah blah. And bad with money. OTOH, my brother is also a Pisces, and he is the exact opposite of me in every way possible, so...

90 minute endurance spin today, lots more out-of-saddle climbing than I've previously done in long endurance rides. It hurt.:shocker!:

What winter Olympic sport would I like to try? I also want to try curling, but first choice would be that event where you x-country ski and shoot rifles- the duathlon? That always looked so cool to me.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-09 3:10 PM
Biathlon.

Given all the shady things the Russians have done over many decades (doping, bribing and blackmailing figure skating judges, etc), I’m surprised they never had their less good biathlete “accidentally” misfire and take out the skier (from another country) in 1st place so that their athlete could move up a spot.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:35 PM
One site I checked had different characteristics for male and female signs.  Maybe that explains your brother. :roll:

Your biathlon :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-09 6:17 PM
The male pisces must be a total asshat.:roll:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 4:38 PM
I think biathlon is really cool and hard. Your skiing hard and then with your heart pounding, you have to be steady and still to shoot.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 6:47 PM
You're :cry:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-09 6:57 PM
Yeah, I liked target shooting, the one or two times I've done it.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-10 1:53 PM
I love watching biathlon. Seriously awesome athletes.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-09 6:13 PM
That's it, biathlon, thanks. Kind of James Bondish, you know that movie with Roger Moore where the bad guys try to take out Bond? Every time I watched it on tv during the Olympics, I waited for a skier to get hit.:laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 8:17 PM
My brother is a Pieces too. My mother always said Pieces were "charming ". :roll:
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-02-09 3:42 PM
4.5 TM miles, Gilmore Girlin it.

I'm a gemini. I am chatty, gregarious, energetic, extremely intelligent :cool::laugh:  as I looked up gemini traits, I found this "gem" (heh): "To them, sex is a celebration of life, and Gemini loves both sex and life."  um.... okay?

oooh, I would love to try luge or skeleton, even though they both seem so scary.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-02-09 3:44 PM
:laugh::laugh: sex and life!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:36 PM
Woo-hoo......Gilmore Girls!!!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 4:36 PM
You animal!! 

My daughter and I used to watch Gilmore Girls together every Tuesday night :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 8:18 PM
Crazy Geminies.: pbbt:
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 3:46 PM
Scorpios are INTENSE and full of PASSION. ...
Scorpios are clever and can't be fooled so easily. ...
Scorpio is mysterious and secretive in their ways. ...
Scorpio often has trust issues and can be highly suspicious of everything. ...
Scorpio is focused, ambitious and competitive. ...
When a Scorpio loses their temper they can be brutal.
  - uh, yeah.  Most of that is true except if you've ever watched a spy thriller or a murder mystery with me, you know I'm definitely slow when it comes to understanding intrigue.  Ambitious?  Competitive?  Moi? :roll:  Scorpios are not very easy to live with, but we're very interesting people :cool::blush::grin:

I finished my first 20-miler this morning -- yaaaaay!  It's always a relief to get those done.  Effort did not match pace, and that pissed me off some, but considering what my lungs have go through for the past couple of weeks, I suppose it's to be expected.  It was mid-50's for the entire run, and I bravely ran in short sleeves and gloveless thinking at one point or another, I'd start feeling warm.  It never happened. but then, I never got completely cold either (don't laugh :mutmad:) so it's a win.  Now I'm really hungry but nothing sounds very appetizing :wtf:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 4:40 PM
Congrats on the 20 miler!

Sometime noting appeals to me either after along run.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-09 7:01 PM
Nice job on the 20!

It should go up to 40 here tomorrow, a heat wave.:roll: I'm heading to a big park for the 20 tomorrow, I'm hoping all the ice melts by tomorrow.:meh:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 8:20 PM
I wil use that line on my husband, "Scorpios are not easy to live with, but we're very interesting people." That would explain (or justify) a few things.:roll:

Yeah for 20 miles done!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-09 8:25 PM
Good luck with your DH :hug:  It's worth a try :grin:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-02-10 8:05 AM
This listing of the Scorpio traits is probably the one that I most identify with (I am an Oct Scorpio). That said I've been told I am the least like a Scorpio ever. But apparently those people didn't know me at all.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-09 6:24 PM
5.4 miles with Molly and her two buddies and one of my buddies.

Bonus. What winter Olympic sport would you like to try?

Pairs figure skating...I want to wear a short skirt and get twirled around
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-09 6:48 PM
Good miles!

I expect you would look dashing in a tutu.
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-10 9:58 AM
:hug:   I'd wear my hockey skates too just for artistic impression
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-10 11:48 AM
:cool::laugh:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-09 8:21 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-10 9:59 AM
:hug:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-02-10 8:06 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-10 9:59 AM
:hug: