Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / February Movie Thread
- By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-07 12:55 PM
Last night, I watched A Few Good Men on AMC with blazerboy. (My love for movies is the only reason I am not horribly disappointed the kid wants to study film in college instead of something real where he will make money.:laugh::meh::roll:)  I am a HUGE Aaron Sorkin fan who wrote this first as a very successful play and then, the screenplay.  The boy is sick of hearing of my Sorkin Fandom, but knew the movie was a "classic" (it is 25 years old) so he wanted to watch with me. 

One can tell it was written as a play, but that results is very smart dialogue. Overall, it stands up well. It was fun to see so many actors, even in small roles, be 25 years younger.  That said, the 90's musical scoring was sappy, overdone and annoying.  Since we watched it on AMC, some of the dialogue had been dubbed "for offensive language" and you could tell the dubbing was performed in the 90's and that annoyed blazerboy to no end.  He had a hard time understanding that editing "software" in the 90's probably wasn't even SOFTWARE!
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-02-07 2:04 PM
DW and I went to see Post . Mixed feelings on my part. Tom and Meryl were great of course , but I think that the story is old and was done before. Sure, it is apropos of Trump's reign, but how many folks under 40 years know the history of  that era ?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-07 2:56 PM
I saw The Post with my 20 year old.  Yes, she did not know the history of the era beyond what she learned in US History in HS, but that made her enjoy the movie even more.  Learning stuff while being entertained is the best kind of learning!
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:13 AM
I felt the same way about Braveheart :shocker!::laugh::sad:
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2018-02-13 1:01 PM
:roll:: pbbt::wink:
- By gadget girl Date 2018-02-12 4:48 PM
I saw The Women's Balcony last night.  It was a special screening but I understand the movie is available on Netflix.  It is an Israeli comedy about a small sub-group among the many different types of Orthodox Jewish communities living in Jerusalem.  It is a lovely and well made film with an uplifting message, and even though it is about a very specific problem faced by a tiny group of people, I think it has a powerful message about religious tolerance, morality and just life itself.  I highly recommend it.  If you watch it, I am interested to know how well it translates outside the Jewish community.
- - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-12 5:58 PM
I just watched Annie Hall. In the beginning I thought it was badly acted, but after a while it grows on you though.
I think it's pretty obvious where they got the Phoebe character from in Friends.
Also funny the small parts of some famous actors like Jeff Goldblum and Christopher Walken.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-12 6:34 PM
Funny thing...I was waiting for the end where he runs back to her building to declare his love. Turns out that's the ending of Manhattan :laugh:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-02-12 7:43 PM
Your reaction seems lukewarm.  I think Annie Hall was one of the best movies ever made.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-13 6:22 AM
No I liked it. I like the way it portrays New York, I like the surreal elements, the "conversational acting".
But at first I found the whole quirkiness a bit overacted and the timing of the dialogues in that matter sometimes a bit off.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-13 8:39 AM
I agree I love this movie
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:11 AM
I enjoyed Annie Hall when I first saw it many years ago, but caught some of it on cable recently and felt like it has not aged well.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-02-13 11:57 AM
interesting.  I'll have to watch it again.  I wonder if Woody Allen's later body of work where he repeats some of his schtick but less memorably mars this movie?  Or perhaps the world has changed so maybe some of the angst seems dated?
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-13 12:18 PM
I can't disagree it does have some The Graduate-type issues. Sexist, overused scenes that have been parodied over and over again.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-02-13 1:19 PM
There are many quotes in there that probably have been used in many other settings afterwards.
I enjoyed them though, since it made me jump up like 'oh this is where that quote/joke is from'.
Also when he said "who's catcher in the rye is this?" I was thinking "it's mine!" :laugh:

What I enjoy in these older movies is that they still adhere to the 1 hr 30 format.
He does use a lot of slapstick humor as well (I never knew him as a comedian, as I know he was a successful stand-up before his movie-making career) and that hasn't aged well.
I find the acting there also lacking. For example the lobster scene.

It's really hard to pull off the "casual conversation" and make it seem really casual and not artificial. That's what I meant with the overacting or bad acting.
And that grows on you once the movie advances (meaning it didn't bother me after awhile). I didn't really buy into the Annie ditzy-ness in the beginning either. It was just too much.
But I like the maturity of the dialogue afterwards.
- - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-13 8:41 AM
I watched Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane over the weekend with DH. Cloverfield was pretty good (nice and short, too:cool:) and 10CL was excellent. John Goodman was awesome and I really enjoyed the ending. 7/10 and 8.5/10 respectively. :happy:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-02-13 10:12 AM
10CL was a fun movie.:grin:  I never saw the first one.  :shocker!:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-13 12:17 PM
The first one is sort of like an urban Blair Witch Project genre-wise. But more action packed and gratifying. I have read some unfavourable reviews about 10CL's ending but I liked it a lot considering I had just watched Cloverfield. THEY ARE RELATED :shocker!:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-02-13 11:59 AM
I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane.  It was delightfully creepy and the ending was unexpectedly awesome.  I haven't seen Cloverfield.  Is that the new film I saw was out?
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-13 12:18 PM
The new one is the third in the loosely related series. Cloverfield is the first one. It's short and fun you should check it out! Very different from 10CL but it makes the end of 10CL make sense. :happy: I think it would be confusing if you hadn't seen the first one.
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-02-13 1:00 PM
That's funny - my kid was telling me they were related and I didn't believe him. :grin: I didn't realize there is a series.  We will have to watch all.  And by "we" I mean, the kids and I (#badmom) : pbbt:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-13 1:03 PM
We made a movie night of C and 10CL and I never stay awake for one whole movie anymore let alone two so take that ringing endorsement for what it's worth. :happy:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-20 10:06 AM
I watched the final (latest?) instalment, the Cloverfield Paradox. It was like a really awesome episode of Star Trek TNG but not the best of the 3 that's for sure. Another awesome ending tho. 6.5/10? Enjoyable but meh by comparison.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-03-09 3:10 PM
I love when they are helping the girl across the roof and she says "what is that?" and the reply is "it's a terrible thing!" :laugh:
- By rob26.2 Date 2018-02-20 10:26 AM
I can't believe I am posting to a movie thread. I almost never go to the theater; usually 1 or 2 times per year. But over the last couple weeks I was on a long flight that had free movies and this past weekend my cable provider (AT&T) had free premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.), so I watched some movies.

Sully: Good movie. Not sure how much of he back story is true but they were able to make it interesting.

The new Wonder Woman movie - Terrible

Deepwater Horizon - Good movie

Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri - Good movie

Independence Day: Resurgence - Bad movie

There ya go; 3 out of 5 ain't bad! :grin:
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-02-20 10:50 AM
Peter Rabbit - None of the rabbits die and there was no crying so not a great movie. My kids liked it a lot though. Also, I drank a Pepsi which kept me from my planned nap during the movie.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-20 4:21 PM
None of the rabbits die
Give us a spoiler alert at least, sheesh! : pbbt:
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-02-20 3:50 PM
I saw Black Panther.  Its popularity and success are well-deserved -- definitely one of the best Marvel movies, maybe the best.  Will be curious to hear reactions from those who don't normally see/like superhero movies.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-20 4:24 PM
I saw it too, and I thought it was great. I like the superhero movies though, and I expected to like it going in. Stepkid #1 (12-year-old boy) liked it too, as did DH.
Parent - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-02-20 6:47 PM
Saw Black Panther and liked it.  The movie was very well done and there was enough substance to make the story interesting.  I also saw it at a fundraiser for social justice organizations in Oakland (where the director is from) and it included a discussion afterwards which made it even better.  But it was very, very good and sort of captured the comic book thing too.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-21 8:02 AM
I haven't seen it but as soon as a good copy is posted online I'm all over it even tho I think the Marvel movies are super lame. Michael B Jordan is mega hawt:evil::grin:
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-02-26 9:04 AM
Now days I get so many free rentals or deals on movies it's way easier to legally rent it or buy it then to pirate it.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-26 9:38 AM
we have an android box with an OnDemand section so I can't imagine a free rental being any more convenient. :wtf:
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-02-26 9:45 AM
Enjoy your guilty conscience : pbbt:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-26 10:03 AM
Don't have one:cool:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-02-26 9:51 AM
I'm not a superhero fan but am curious about the hype. I'll likely see it at some point.

That said, the last hyped up superhero movie that I saw was Wonder Woman. It was okay, I guess. I didn't think that it was anything to get excited about.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-26 10:07 AM
You're a white guy you already have every super hero movie ever sort of about you. I think part of the appeal of WW and BP is that they feature decent super heroes for other people. Not saying WW was that amazing either, but I definitely think Hollywood is getting closer(ish) to getting it right. DC sucks tho, generally speaking.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-02-26 10:26 AM
I judged Wonder Woman solely as a movie.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-26 10:45 AM
Can you really not see why all the hype?
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-02-26 12:21 PM
To be clear, I get and appreciate why Wonder Woman was culturally significant, I just didn't think it was very good as a movie.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-26 12:34 PM
Yeah the movie was so-so but I thought her character was really good.
- By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-02-25 7:58 PM
Just saw Get Out and loved it 9/10 :grin:
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-03-09 2:07 PM
I saw Annihilation.  It is a strange movie, loosely based on a strange book (though taking major departures from it), and I think many would get hung up on its less coherent aspects, but I enjoyed it and there are some great visuals.  Will give it 6.5/10.  I think it is coming up on Netflix fairly soon, so sci-fi enthusiasts should check it out then if not in the theaters.
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2018-03-09 2:51 PM
MARCH! :meh::mutmad:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / February Movie Thread