Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Wintery Wednesdailies
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 7:43 AM
Started snowing here around 7 a.m. Predictions are for 9 to 11 inches. Classes were cancelled at the University where I work but staff expected to report. Ride in was slow but not bad. Everyone seemed to be doing the smart thing and slowing down. Worried about my neighbor and her son. They are traveling to Erie where he has an interview at a med school. Got a text a short time ago that they are stopped on the highway about 1.5 hours away. Ugg.

Anyway, brought my running stuff, but will likely just head home to shovel out after work.

Let's see, any stories about getting stuck in a storm?
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-02-07 7:47 AM
We have a winter storm warning here too but so far it's just a few flakes. I woke up early and ran 7.4 miles with a friend before work.

Hope your friends are ok and get to Erie safely! A bunch of my friends on a local running team went down to USATF Club XC Nationals a number of years ago and there was a big storm and the interstate got closed down. Their bus was stuck on it for something like 12 hours. Several of them got out and ran up and down the highway to lots of shocked drivers. I think they finally arrived an hour before the race started.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 7:53 AM
Good job!

That's pretty funny about the team :laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 8:41 AM
12 hours stuck on a bus. :cry::cry:

Funny they did a run to stretch the legs. Brilliant!
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:47 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 8:37 AM
Some snow here too, but it's sort of tapered off or is a mix at the moment. I believe it is supposed to change over later today.

Last night was a "run" of 5 miles out on the trails of Coventry Woods. Really slow, barely a trail jog as the trail conditions were a bit sketchy. Sort of an icy crust, not like sheet of glass ice, but kind of like frozen slurpee. Crunchy and thin in some places, thicker and slick in others. Sometimes you could run well and other times not. So I just slogged about, didn't worry about time. Took the trail down the south side of the ridge thinking maybe a little more melting occurred on the sunny side of the hill, but it was just slightly better. Still, sort of fun, and magical in places as there was still quite a bit of foliage crusted in ice, especially near the top of the ridge, and it shone like diamonds in the setting sun.

Today, plan to get out to the local trail for 4-5 miles either at lunch or after work.

Stuck in storm stories.... oh gosh.. not bad.. but a long trip... Worst one is when I lived in Dallas. Wife and I were driving from Dallas to Ohio for Christmas. Left in the afternoon as an ice storm rolled into town. We got stuck in traffic on the way out (I-30) and sat on the highway for hours and hours not moving. Finally beelined it across the median and headed back west on I-30 to spend the night at a hotel in Greenville TX. That is about an hour from Dallas! That was day 1 of drive. Day2, we made it into Arkansas just east of Texarcana. Stopped for lunch, heard ice pelting the diner, thunder, oh it was a mess. It had already been a white knuckle drive, taking us double or triple the normal time. We decided to stay put, got a room before there were none to be found. So now we are 3 hours from Dallas after 2 days of travel. I did not have any beer either and we were in a dry part of Arkansas. Next day, on the road again. It took us 4+ hours to drive 90 miles down the interstate to Little Rock Arkansas. The interstate, was not a road any longer, but a solid sheet of frozen rutted ice. There were cars, trucks, stranded all over the place. In the middle of the road, side of the road, off the road.. It was like an apocolypse drive, seeing very few cars, and the ones you did see were moving very slow. Once we hit Little Rock conditions improved and we made it to north of Nashville TN on day3 before a snow squall hit us and I started to get a feeling of driving standing still while staring at the snow coming at my windshield. Bunked there for the night and finally made it to Ohio on the 4th day. It's normally 1.5 day trip max, 1 day if you push it. Best part of the trip is our new pup, Buster B the Springer Spaniel lifted his leg for the first time to pee. He became all grown up. I also learned on that trip to always pack a few beers in the cooler in case you get stuck in a dry part of the country.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 8:58 AM
Holy crap that's a bad trip :cry::cry::laugh::laugh:

I know exactly the type of trail conditions you described. Sometimes I don't mind those runs and am just glad to get through them without injury. So Buster B must have been before Sir B?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 1:08 PM
Yes, Buster Boy was our first springer spaniel. We also had Betsy Boop and Princess Bonnie, aka Miss B. I sort of regret not being a runner when we had Buster as he would have loved it. He dig go on plenty of walks (trails), could catch a Frisbee thrown 25-50 yards and was a great swimmer. When we lived in TX I remember going out to Lake Lavon in the summer for a swim. They had a pretty big area and you could swim out maybe a 100 yards or more to the buoys. I liked to swim and float and sometimes he would get away from Judi and swim out to save me! :hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 1:16 PM
Oh, that's so sweet :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-07 10:23 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:50 PM
Oh man what a nightmare. Well, except the Buster B part. :hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 3:18 PM
I know. You should have seen my face in southwestern Arkansas when the lady at the convenience store said there was no beer in these here parts. Nightmare. I agree.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 4:29 PM
Stuck in a dry county?:shocker!: Triple A used to make trip maps for members to avoid stuff like that.:laugh:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-07 10:20 AM
My stuck in a storm story: I lived in northern VA but went to college in Ohio, a 10-hour rive on a good day. My junior year at the end of winter break, a snowstorm was on its way, so my roommate and I decided to head back to school a day early to stay ahead of the storm (she lived in NoVA too). But because the storm was coming from the west, we didn't stay ahead of it, we drove directly into it. :roll: We got around Columbus (normally an 8 hour drive but I think we were at about 10 hours at that point), and we were going about 35mph when we passed over an icy overpass, I lost control of my car, and ended up spinning out and coming to rest sideways on the highway. My roommate was in her car behind me, hit the same ice patch, and spun out, coming to rest sideways on the highway as well. 3 cars behind her hit the same ice, and slammed into each other, pushing her car into mine.  :cry: Her car was totaled, mine was driveable (I had to hold the steering wheel at a 90* angle to go straight though), and we ended up having to get a hotel room to stay over in Columbus for the night because the passenger in her car needed to go to the hospital for a separated shoulder and we were just too tired to make the rest of the trip. The next day was clear and wonderful for driving though. :roll:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 10:40 AM
:cry: That's awful!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:16 AM
Those highway pile-ups are my worst nightmare!  Those the ordeal sounds terrible, I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.:hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 1:14 PM
:cry:

That is a scary one.
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:51 PM
Yikes
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 4:26 PM
Yikes! Your story is my biggest fear about driving in storms!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:03 AM
Good luck with the commute home and the cross-training, er, shoveling.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 1:13 PM
Daily Double today.

We had maybe an inch of snow this morning, and when I looked at the radar, looked like heavy rain was coming later in the day so took the Lady up to the local trail and we ran 5.5 miles at lunch. I guess it started raining pretty hard during the run as my shorts were soaked by the time we finished and I had to crank up the wipers on the short drive back. 33 and rain. I guess I was dressed right as I did not feel cold while running. Sloshed around in the fresh snow looking at my foot prints (we do multiple loops here). Saw fresh deer foot prints, and moments later the deer hopped out of the woods and across the road.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 1:18 PM
Must have been nice to get home and get dry :happy:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 2:24 PM
yeah, plus chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese.  :happy:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 3:51 PM
Ohhh.. perfect!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:56 PM
That's the perfect lunch for today's shiit weather!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-02-07 8:07 PM
Government offices were shut down today, but I still went in for the morning. Unfortunately, about the time I left for home the snow turned to icy mix then freezing rain so I wimped.:blush: Although I did have some good xtraining shoveling slush.
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-02-07 10:23 PM
3.7 miles

59¢ (7 coins)

65º & dark at 1920

New Balance 825
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-08 7:15 AM
A quarter, 2 dimes, 2 nickels 2 pennies.:wtf:
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-02-08 9:00 AM
That's only 57¢.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-08 6:10 PM Edited 2018-02-08 6:12 PM
For some reason I had it in my head it was 57. :sad: I'm still certain it said 57 and that's scary.
Parent - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-02-08 3:04 PM
2 quarters, 1 nickel 4 pennies
Parent - - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-02-08 12:40 PM
2.4 easy miles on the treadmill.  I have a sore on my foot and wanted to make sure it wasn't going to get worse.  Its fine so tonight I'll go back outside and do a few more miles.  Weather here is such that I'm not going to describe it to keep some of the rest of you from wanting to hit me with a snowshovel (something I haven't owned in years)

Storm stories.

Freshman year of college (which is the great dakota deep freeze of 83).  I need to get from Washington back home to South Dakota.  I have a classmate from minnesota who wants to save on gas.  I agree w/o asking about the transportation.  Vehicle turns out to be an old telephone van with about a million miles.  Its me, his two year old, him and a female classmate.--Its cold in Tacoma and the temperature drops below zero at the top of snolqualmie pass and never rises and its snowing.  We are driving straight through because everybody is too broke for hotel rooms.  Female classmate pulls out bottle and drinks herself unconscious, van breaks down in montana but we're at a gas station and a fix is effected.  Somewhere in wyoming we are in a blizzard.  driver has now been awake for hours, the only other person over three years old is drunk which means we I'm the releif driver- Its so cold that if the van quits it probably won't start again and the driver is so exhausted he's about to drive us off the now pretty deserted road.  Did I mention that its a three on the tree stick shift and I've never driven a stick shift.  

Fortunately I managed to get it in gear I got in a line of semis so we would might get rescued before we froze to death if I ran off the road or killed the engine and proceeded down the road.  Turned out to be OK because I just drove at about 25 miles an hour without shifting for four hours (on ice through a blizzard but I was used to snow at the time) and didn't stop til we were at a gas station.  I had to peel my fingers off the steering wheel though.  I took a greyhound home at the end of the break

By the way the two year old was great the whole trip.  only problem was it was so cold that the heater couldn't keep up so her dad ended up stuffing her bottles in his shirt so they wouldn't freeze.  And the aftershave in my suitcase (It was probably musk but I was only 19--- don't judge) froze.

Ah the good old days
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-08 1:01 PM
Wow! That sounds truly awful.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-07 8:15 AM
We have rain & ~36 degrees now but it began as freezing rain ~6 this morning.  That likely convinced some of my cycling class folks to bail and I only had 5 show up for 6am class.  Home now but I have to return to the gym before too long as I'm subbing for the 11am class.  It's an "EZ Ride" class and 10 minutes shorter (45 min).  I don't think it draws very many riders on a good weather day so we'll see how much company I have.

Workout = 2 cycling classes + hip & shoulder exercises I did after class this morning.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 8:59 AM
Hmmmm.. wonder if anyone will show?
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:06 AM
How do you shorten the program for the EZ ride?  Do you take out a couple of the higher intensity songs, or drop one from each category: warm-up, high-intensity, cool down, etc? Hope you get a good turnout :wink:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:26 PM
I could do that but I just designed a completely different ride. No high intensity at all.  Where I would usually put in a sprint, I substituted seated accelerations...20-30 seconds at 10 RPMs faster than the easy, steady cadence we had been doing. Mixed in some
hills" at a lower intensity (perceived exertion) than I'd out in my regular classes.  Also had some seated-standing flats...with instructions for them to remain seated and/or sit down at any time.

It was an "EZ Ride" class after all = "appropriate for beginners or more experienced riders wanting a recovery day".  I had 4 riders...3 young women, likely in their early 20s...including the daughter of the woman I was subbing for...and one ol...oops, more mature woman, perhaps close to but not quite my age.  The "kids" did ok but the other woman arrived ~5 minutes late or just about when my warmup song was ending.  I had to get her bike set up right and explain a couple of things while coaching the others into the beginning of the "working" part of class.  While I told her to go at her own pace, she was struggling even with just continuous pedaling while seated & after about 3 songs she declared herself "not a beginner" and left. Not much I could do.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:41 PM
Your late comer :roll: puh-leez
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-07 6:31 PM
I wish she'd come a bit before the start of class.  I could have spent more time explaining modifications she could make so the class would be easier for her.  Even as a beginners class I still had them come up out of the saddle at times but not for too long.  She had a lot of trouble standing and I did tell her she could stay seated.  In such a small group (4), they all sat in the front row but the other 3 were sooo much younger and while not necessarily aerobically fit like the runners on this forum, they had the benefit of youth on their side.  2 of the others arrived almost 10 minutes before class and one of them was doing her 4th class ever.  She needed all 4 height/fore-aft adjustments "fit".  Apparently, for whatever reason, that hadn't been done on her previous rides so she was making them on her own and didn't even know the saddle could be adjusted - forward/backward.  Along with all the crap I lug to class, I have a handful of business cards with the 4 seat & handlebar positions on the back side and wrote in the height & fore/aft settings for her. She was a bit :shocker!:  I would have that but perhaps may be easily impressed  :laugh:
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:53 PM
Okay a Sub-beginner! :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:03 PM
Ummmm :wtf:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:55 PM
Not a beginner.:roll:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-07 6:32 PM
Definitely not a Spingoddess!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-02-08 7:16 AM
That is a terrible time for a class. It must be good for someone, but not sure who.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-02-08 7:24 AM
It's a once a week 11am slot that follows cycling classes that day at 6am and 9:30am.  I don't know our exact demographics but a significant portion of our membership is "mature".  One of my previous bosses told me the stats showed the older % of the demographic doesn't check in to our gym until 10:30am.  I didn't ask the 3 "kids" why they weren't at work...they could work in jobs that aren't M-F/9-5ish.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-07 8:59 AM
Snow here too but it's supposed to get washed away with rain this afternoon.

Took a day off running today since I've run the last 6 days in a row. I'll run Friday instead. Maybe some yoga or strength stuff tonight.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 9:05 AM
Good call on taking a day off from running :happy:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:07 AM
I would say you've earned a day off.  Yoga, strength stuff.....or maybe a nap ?  :wink:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-02-07 9:25 AM
10.25 miles in non-wintery weather.

Forecast was calling for rain all day today so we were going to play it by ear with this morning’s run. Got up and checked the forecast / radar and it looked like we had a decent shot of getting the run in without too much rain so started getting ready. One guy texted to let us know he was bailing and I was worried that the one other guy might bail too, but he said he would be there. It was in the low 50’s so I was fine in a short sleeve but the other guy had a long sleeve shirt over a short sleeved one he was going to wear. We got a few sprinkles about 1.5 miles into the run and I thought “here we go, it’s going to be wet from here on out.” It never rained on us at all after that so I was really surprised that we lucked out.

I was a chaperone for a church youth trip to WV so the kids could go skiiing. We started hitting snow in the mountains of NC and traffic basically was stopped so we ditched out and found a hotel for the night. Things were much better in the morning and we made it to WV and had fun skiing.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 10:40 AM
Yay! Good timing.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:08 AM
Nice you were able to get your run in before the rain :cool:
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:55 PM
Nice pre-rain miles for a Wed.! :cool:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-07 9:50 AM
5 easy miles, will go to boxing class tonight and lift. It was in the 20's this morning, but not too windy, so it wasn't super annoying.

I can remember several 5 mph drives to/from work when I lived in Detroit, but never being completely stuck for more than an hour or so while they cleaned up an accident.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 10:43 AM
:cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:09 AM
I can deal with a reasonable amount of cold if it's not too windy.
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:55 PM
Keep the 20 degrees in mind when you are running this coming July! :wink:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:53 PM
You should move to Jersey, you can do 5 mph on the Turnpike in good weather!: pbbt:
- - By skigirl Date 2018-02-07 10:49 AM
Morning all.  Yesterday I did a half-hour run on the TM followed by some intensive stretching - I had a deep knot in my right calf that needed some gentle but firm attention.  Pilates for me today. 

I'm tapering down my activity a bit this week as I am signed up for a 31-km xc ski "race" on Saturday.  I put "race" in quotes because for me it will be a chance to go for a long ski in the woods with friendly strangers popping up every few kilometres to offer me hot beverages and snacks - I haven't trained nearly enough this winter to have a race pace for skiing.  But, the conditions should be pretty much perfect and I expect to have a lot of fun. 

It's funny though how no many times you go through taper madness, it always hits.  I'm super-worried right now that tapering down my activity will mean I will LOSE ALL MY FITNESS OMIGOD OMiGOD.  And this morning my right shin muscle twinged a bit and I was immediately in the thought pattern of MY SHIN MUSCLE HURTS MY LEG IS INJURED OMIGOD HOW CAN I SKI 31 KILOMETRES I WON'T MAKE IT OMIGOD OMIGOD.  By Friday I should be a complete nut case.  : pbbt::laugh::blush:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-02-07 10:51 AM
Blah, blah, blah.....hot beverages and snacks.....blah, blah, blah.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:06 AM
:laugh::laugh: Gotta love the taper madness!

a long ski in the woods with friendly strangers popping up every few kilometres to offer me hot beverages and snacks
You make racing sounds really lovely!
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-02-07 11:15 AM
I know!  So much fun!  :grin:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:11 AM
I love your justification for entering the 31K.  I hope it's fun and OMIGOD OMIGOD, I hope you're not injured :cry::laugh::hug:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-02-07 11:17 AM
Nah, by Friday you will have gotten the OMGs out of your system.  Bask in the madness today and tomorrow, but then you get to ski in the woods with magical wood gnomes and pixies appearing with snacks.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 11:21 AM
:laugh::laugh: Sounds like a fun race! Can't wait to hear about it.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 1:00 PM
Taper on!

Signed Xtreme Taper.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:35 PM
Enjoy the “supported long ski in the woods”. It sounds fun!
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:59 PM
Channel one of those speedy Norwegian XC Olympians for your race!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:52 PM
Sounds like you're tapering exactly right.:laugh:
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 10:55 AM
We've got something nasty forecast for this afternoon and evening, but it means the temps plunging into the 50's with rain and north wind.  I know it makes y'all laugh, but it really will be kind of ugly by our standards.  That's OK though because I got my tired ass out there early today and ran my 10 so that I can have my SDO tomorrow :cool:   YAAAAAAY! 

Getting those miles clocked is particularly impressive because DH and I were out late last night at trivia.  For the first time in a couple of months we won :cool::cool: mostly because the team that usually beats us didn't show :roll: but also because one of our teammates kept his own scorecard and challenged the preliminary results which placed us in 2nd.  Win or lose, we've been playing for three years, so the emcee actually did do a recount and corrected the score.  We were chuffed :laugh: 

Aubrey asked how our DIL is doing with her pregnancy.  DS texted us this morning that he'd felt the baby kick for the first time.  He was pretty excited :hug:

Since I lived in Colorado for nearly 35 years, I have plenty of snow storm stories.  Probably the one that worried me the most wasn't the most dangerous, but when I felt the most vulnerable.  DH and I lived in Durango.  My parents lived in Colo Spgs and I would often make the 5 hr drive on the weekends to see them.  DH usually had to work and my dad was terminally ill.  The kids were maybe 5 and 1 and the drive entailed going over both LaVeta Pass and Wolf Creek Pass.  One night, a semi had jack-knifed off a very steep part of the road on Wolf Creek, and only one lane of traffic could go through at a time.   The cab of the truck had been forced up into the air by the trailer, and we had to drive under this elevated wreckage :shocker!:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:08 AM
Nice job getting your miles in! :cool:

That is a scary story! :shocker!:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 11:22 AM
Nice job getting your run in!!

That must have been so scary!:cry:
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 2:00 PM
Hell Wolf Creek pass is a pain on dry roads. :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:51 PM
Good run planning!

The baby.:hug:
Parent - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-02-08 12:42 PM
My family (before my time) has roots in LaVeta.  I've driven those two passes.
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-07 11:25 AM
We’re supposed to get 2-4” here - not too bad.

Stuck in a storm story...years ago my late wife, who was my girlfriend at the time, left with her 3 apartment-mates for a weekend ski trip to a place about 200 miles away. They left on a Friday evening in the middle of a blizzard, and it took them 3 hours to get 30 miles away. Then she decided it wasn’t safe to keep going (they were in a VW Golf). But her friends wanted to keep going. So she called me to ask if I could come pick her up. Umm....no. I loved that woman, but I was not going to drive for hours through a snowstorm to bail her out from a bad decision. Eventually she talked her roommates into coming back home.

5.2 miles this morning.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 12:31 PM
Nice!

And good call on not venturing out in that!!
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 2:01 PM
Tough love. :laugh:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:48 PM
And she married you anyway?!:shocker!:: pbbt:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-02-07 9:36 PM
I would run through a brick wall to protect someone I love. But I would not drive 60 miles through a blizzard to bail them out of a boneheaded decision.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-07 12:28 PM
Raining big time so I'm in slurpee heaven.  Decided to fire up (plug in) the treadmill and just ran fast for 30 minutes....4 miles on the nose...so not really fast but enough to feel mint.
Molly gets so disappointed to see me in running gear and then pulling out the treadmill.  :hug:  Listened to the Top 25 songs random on my ipod so the music was amazing.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 12:40 PM
Nice job!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-07 12:51 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 12:52 PM Edited 2018-02-07 12:58 PM
Poor Molly! :cry:

Signed: Lady B
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-07 1:03 PM
:grin:

Signed: Dog M
Parent - - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 2:02 PM
Yeah I follow my usual pre-run stretch and my dog is all excited. Then I go to the TM and he's :sad:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-07 5:01 PM
I get the :roll: look from her
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:49 PM
Nice!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-02-07 5:01 PM
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-02-07 12:58 PM Edited 2018-02-07 1:03 PM
An early 3  mile walk, followed by shoveling and snow blowing .
My favorite storm story . Almost exactly 2 years ago, I had to go to NY for a procedure. My appt was on Monday morning, so we had planned to drive down Sunday. However the weather guys in NY predicted a major storm beginning Sunday.To beat the storm, we opted to drive down Saturday  ,and as predicted the Northeaster started on Sunday morning. By noon time Sunday , the mayor shut down the city
and NYC turned into a small village. No traffic, snowball fights in Times Square , folks xskiing in the streets and the few people venturing out were very friendly.

We tried  to buy show tickets, but all the theaters closed down at 2  PM , so we walked over to the MOMA which was still open (YEAH ) . With no crowds, DW and I started on the top floor and slowly walked down , spending the whole afternoon at the museum. We  ate lunch in the museum cafe with some of the staff joining us. One staff member actually showed DW some tricks with her new iPhone.:grin:
That evening, we walked a few blocks to one of the few open Italian  restaurants for a great dinner. Since only a few patrons were there, the walt staff went from table to table and chatted with the customers over shared wine. :cool:

The next day at the hospital, the nurse giving me the infusion asked where from, what we did in the storm, etc. So I mentioned trying to get tickets for Hamilton but no dice. She responded that she saw the show twice. :cry:

Truly a memorable experience; one of the many reasons why I:hug:NY
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 1:16 PM
That sounds like a great time in the city. It's fun being in cool places without the crowds. :happy:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 1:21 PM
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-07 1:54 PM
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 2:04 PM
Wow you made the best out of that situation.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:46 PM
Great story! It's funny how NYC peeps are usually seen as asshats (and there are usually good reasons for that:laugh:), but during a potential crisis like a blizzard you see a really great side of people. I lived there during the '96 blizzard and noticed how friendly everyone who was outside (not that many) was.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2018-02-07 7:00 PM
I've been  down in NY for 26 marathons and later 15 years of visits to Sloan -Kettering  Never had an bad time .i love NY-it's actually a bunch of neighborhoods adjacent to each other.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 1:29 PM Edited 2018-02-07 1:32 PM
As mentioned, I will likely go home and shovel as my workout today. My neighbors made it to Erie safely. The snow turned to sleet and rain for now. So not as much accumulation as predicted I think. Could be more up on the hill where I live. Usually is.

Storm story. I think last year of HS me and my best friend, after a night out in the bars :roll:, decided to go to Niagara Falls. It was snowing heavily. Poor visibility and we got lost. The gas tank was on empty too. I remember we stopped at a hotel but there was no one around. We were in a place called Welland Canada. Did not even have money for gas if we ran out. In the midst of this the Doors song Riders on the Storm came on the radio. I don't know how, but we made it back to Buffalo. Whenever I hear that song now I think of that night.
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 2:05 PM
It's funny how sometimes you can tie a certain song to a certain event (and remember it).
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 2:23 PM
Oh, your own personal "the gods must be crazy moment". They always play music on the radio to mess with me.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:42 PM
Kids.:roll::laugh:

I'm glad to hear your neighbor made it!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 3:55 PM
Soooo stupid. I wonder how we got through customs/Peace  Bridge. I can't remember.

I made it home. Slow going. Coming down pretty good again. Got my deck and walkway shoveled and the path to the bird feeder. Then my neighbor showed up and plowed the drive :hug:
- - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 2:26 PM
Ran 3 miles with Bogey in balmy 12* weather. My hammy had a knot the whole time so I just shut it down after 3 miles.  Then I realized I had run 6 days in a row, which is stupid.  After foam rolling it felt okay and I'm sure I didn't hurt it again. A planned day off tomorrow anyway.

I leave for the Dominican Republic tomorrow! :cool: 4 or 5 days of beach running! The low temps there have been 72* so that will be 60* warmer than my run this morning. :grin:

Storm Story: In college, 7 of us went on a ski trip from Emporia, KS to Copper Mtn. Colorado. We took my pickup truck; 2 wheel drive with a camper shell on the back. So we had 3 guys in the cab and 4 in the back buried under sleeping bags and blankets. :laugh: The drive is about 9 hours one-way. No problem on the drive out. On the return we left at 6:30 am or so on Sunday. Smooth sailing for the first 30 minutes but when we emerged on the east side of the Eisenhower Tunnel there was a full-on blizzard. I drove several hours before letting a friend take over. I still couldn't sleep because every time the truck did a little shimmy or slide I would bolt upright thinking we were going into the ditch. I never slept. We rolled into our fraternity parking lot at 7:10 am on Monday morning and I went straight to my room, got my books and walked to my 7:30 class. :laugh: That was a 24+ hour nightmare.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:05 PM
Enjoy your trip! :cool:

Scary story :shocker!:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 3:15 PM
I am always disappointed in beach running, well except for the fact that you are on the beach. :laugh:

Florida for me very soon! But no beach running. Just soft trails in forests of pine and live oak. :cool:

Yes, the truck trip sounds stressful. Was the radio playing any strange tunes.. Rocky Mountain way perhaps?  : pbbt:
Parent - - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:22 PM
Ridin' The Storm Out :cool:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 4:05 PM

Tape or radio? It does make a difference in my "gods must be crazy" statistics.
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 5:23 PM
I think by that time I had upgraded from 8-track to cassette. #olderthanf**k
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:40 PM
Holy crap, that blizzard story sounds brutal!:laugh:

The DR! Have fun, that sounds divine!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 3:56 PM
Holy crap! 

Have a great trip :happy::happy::happy:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-02-07 5:54 PM
I spent a week in DR a couple of years ago.  Enjoy your time thawing out.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 6:50 PM
oh yikes.  We lived in Garden City, KS for 5 years and Goodland KS for 3, so I know all too well the, uh, suspense of driving I-70 with blowing snow :shocker!:  That is an amazing adventure.  If you had tried a stunt like that at any other time in your life......well, face it, you wouldn't have tried a stunt like that at any other time in your life :roll:
- - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-02-07 3:16 PM
It's *not* snowy here - it's 60 degrees - and I live at a ski resort :cry:

10k today
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 3:19 PM
Oh man... sucks for the skiing and the draught returning to CA.
Parent - - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 5:25 PM
WTF?
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-02-08 12:46 AM
On the plus side - the boss has noticed I've been uncharacteristically productive this winter
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:33 PM
3.8 miles. Crappy footing again.
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:38 PM
Stories about getting stuck in a storm?! I was born and raised in Buffalo, lived there until the mid-90's.:laugh: But my favorite story is still the Blizzard of '77, I was 11 and thought the whole thing was so exciting. My dad's secretary was out that day, and I had the day off from school, so i went downtown with him to answer the phones at his office. The blizzard started in the early afternoon, temperature dropped rapidly, heavy snow, but the winds were the wildest! 60, 70 mph and more. grown men were blown across the street. We were stuck overnight at Dad's office, I got to go to the lobby and buy Hostess Apple Pies for dinner from Old John, who ran the concession stand. The next day, we made it halfway home, to my dad's partner's house and stayed there. We finally got home the next day. A 25, 30 minute car trip took 2 days! The Army Corps of Engineers had to come with the biggest snow plows I've ever seen, to dig the city out. Only plow had a huge drill attachment on the front. People were skiing out their second floor windows. And we missed about two weeks of school. :grin: I have a scrapbook of newspaper headlines from that blizzard lying around somewhere, I should dig it out.

A 60 minute endurance spin class followed by a 45 minute interval spin class. Then out into the crappiest weather so far this year, slushy wet rain on top of the morning's snow.:meh:The only good part was that changing into my flannel robe when I got home felt soooo good!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-02-07 3:59 PM
I remember the Army Corps trucks.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-02-07 4:04 PM
'77 was a crazy winter. I lived in NE Ohio then, not even in the snowbelt and it was one blizzard after another. A week straight of no school, snow sometimes was more than waist deep in our street. Nuts.
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-02-07 5:24 PM
Awesome story.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-02-07 8:13 PM
As an 11-year-old, I'll bet that was just awesome!  All those details :hug:
- By N70SAK Date 2018-02-07 4:30 PM
what winter?:mutmad:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-02-07 5:48 PM Edited 2018-02-07 5:52 PM
6.2 gallo-miles this afternoon.  Big storm expected tomorrow night, Friday morning.  Could affect my travel as I head south for a series of races.

Winter snow/storm memory:  I was in college, but home for some reason.  Our upstairs bedroom window looked out over Main St and another main thoroughfare in our small town.  The roads had almost no traffic, but at this particular moment, a whole series of military vehicles from the nearby National Guard came down the side street and turned onto Main.  It reminded me of pictures of Hungary when the communist gov't moved in to put down a revolt in the 1950's
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-02-07 6:35 PM
It did look like Hungary, I have similar memories of all the military vehicles in long lines driving through Buffalo, with no other traffic on the road. Surreal!
- By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-02-08 7:56 AM
10.20 miles
6:29 pace

Pushed it hard around the lake. Paths are a little slick with some snow and ice, but not horrible. 9 degrees....yay
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Wintery Wednesdailies