Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday - 2/7/2018
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-02-07 7:10 AM
One week ago today the forum returned to life after a few days off-line.

MB - How did your husband's eye surgery go. My wife goes in tomorrow for her other (left) eye.

Rob - How is the 100 mile training going?

Happy Eagles Parade Eve to our Philly fans.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-02-07 7:14 AM
It's 33° with a steady rain. You don't need an advanced degree to know it's better to stay indoors, so I went to the gym for an easy 3 on the treadmill.

I'm off a half day tomorrow to take Cindy to her eye surgery but if work goes ok today I will extend that to a full day.  I'll have my new Garmin later today and I think I'll be wanting to take it for a test run.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-02-07 7:26 AM
Hey Dave, you beat me to the daily.  Good luck to Cindy tomorrow.

I hope today is not the Dave, Dawn and Mike show volume 2.   It looks to be a nasty weather day for a lot of you - maybe you are stuck inside and will post and liven this place up.

I wonder how much royalty money Elon Musk is paying to David Bowie's estate....

Today is day 37 of my yoga streak; today's video is almost an hour long.  Much needed as snow removal took almost 2 hours yesterday and needs to be done again today.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-02-07 8:53 AM
I hope today is not the Dave, Dawn and Mike show volume 2.

Hi Dawn.   :grin:  I can play today. :grin:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-02-07 9:55 AM
Good news.:happy:
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-02-07 3:37 PM
Hi Dawn!

An hour of yoga? :cry: I remember that day each week  when I was doing P90X. I allllllways did something else! :laugh: I should try harder to do it, I just can't seem to get there. Perhaps one of these days.... Huge kudos to you! :cool:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-02-07 7:29 AM
Dave, it well. Thanks for asking.  We went to his follow up yesterday and doctor said all looked good.  He has another one next Tuesday and hopes that he will then be given the ok to play golf. 

It is wet and dreary here, but we need rain. So I hope it is something that we can measure.

Enjoy your Wednesday!
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-02-07 3:35 PM
Glad surgery went well! Not playing golf must be killing him. :laugh:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-02-07 9:12 AM
It's 32 now with freezing rain.  Schools are delayed. Don't think I'm running.  Besides, I'm still feeling good from yesterdays run.  Why ruin the feeling.

Eagles Parade:grin::cool::shocker!::mutmad:   I am hoping to join 2 or3 million of my closest friends tomorrow.  Not looking promising.  Thursday is my morning to drive for Clothing Bank.     It beginning is to look almost impossible to get to center city Philly.  Trains require a special pass that was sold out in hours.

Running Story  Tuesday afternoon is Duck In at church.  We set up a table by the sidewalk and give away coffee and Duck Donuts.  Mainly geared to UofD students, but we get an assortment of others.  A runner is on a training run so as he approaches I hold up a donut, like an aid station.  He declines and passes by.  30 yards later he stops turns around and picks up the donut.  "I've got another 5 miles, this will get me through."  This is one my favorite ministries in the church. 

Tom in DE
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-02-07 9:46 AM
That's funny about the runner.

Our church is 5-6 blocks from Marshall University and we've had days where we pass out water and stuff when we know students will be coming by. I wonder if there is any need for something more regular?  Tonight is our monthly meeting where we talk about stuff going on in the community and look for ways to get involved. I may bring up this idea.  Probably would be hard to staff a regular give-away at the church like that though. We're mostly students and young families who are busy most days.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-02-07 10:01 AM
At Amy's college a local church stationed itself along the 'move in day' route.  They handed out icy bottles of water to all us parents stuck in traffic on what is always the hottest day of the year.

They had put info for their different ministries on top of the bottle label.  Really good outreach idea and the water was so appreciated.   Sophomore year though, Amy recognized friends handing out the water.  She hopped out of the car and joined them leaving Lee and I to move all her stuff in by ourselves.:roll:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-02-07 12:53 PM
We've done the  move in water bottle thing for a few years, then bumped it up with a BBQ, but not many parents or students at BBQ.   Just water bottles is better.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-02-07 9:56 AM
I love the running story.  I hope you get to see the parade.
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-02-07 3:34 PM
I hope you get to see the Eagles Parade, though wow, it sounds almost impossible!
I remember when the Portland Trailblazers won the NBA championships, I worked in downtown Portland and we could see some of the parade from our office.
Cool boss told us to get out there and enjoy it! :shocker!: I think I was like 18 or 19 and I've never forgotten that!

Good luck!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-02-07 4:59 PM
Great story!  Donut ministry!
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-02-07 9:41 AM
Water problems at the surgical center so Cindy's eye surgery tomorrow is moved to the 22nd.  Had to shift my vacation request to the 22nd too.  Maybe I'll just take off Friday to play with my new watch and give myself a 3-day weekend.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2018-02-07 12:22 PM
I got a nice run in before the snow started, so nice to run here.  I will have to wait for the next thaw. Monday I ran longer with my ice grippers so I wouldn’t slip and boy, they take all the cushion out of your shoes. Kinda like running in golf shoes. Yesterday I walked for 45 mom around campus between my 2nd and 3rd class. Yesterday was our first suture class. We learned 4 sutures. I finally got the hang of it; having to use my left ( non dominant ) hand so much was tricky but I passed it just fine. This means I can close simple lacerations in clinicals IF this is a regular practice in the office. Eek! Now I can’t wait to do it! :laugh: I bought a suture training kit on Amazon and extra sutures and some fake skin so I can practice. I think I’m also going to practice writing the alphabet with my left hand to improve my dexterity.

:grin:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-02-07 12:49 PM
Can't wait to see your youtube video of you practicing sutures.   I was almost expecting you to say they had somebody get sliced up so you could practice on them.
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-02-07 3:31 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool Dottie! :cool:
Suturing with your left hand deserves a You-Tube video, like Tom said! :laugh:
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-02-07 3:29 PM
Hi everyone,
I can play today too, though it's still too cold to go walking. I tried the other day and it's just beyond my capability to power walk when it is 10 below zero. Call me soft (I am :cry: ) but it's not happening. I am lifting my weights though and considering starting the new Beachbody workout, 80 Day Obsession. Thinking. :wink:

Given I am four hours behind you all, when I finally get on the 'net, you are all at dinner and I've missed the day. Alaska is definitely behind, in more ways that one,
:laugh: I swear we are another country up here. The lower 48 certainly treats us like that, lol.

Currently 14 below, working on a couple of job applications and Squirrel is using this place as a spazz out-race track. : pbbt:

Have a good evening, everyone!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:41 PM
Hey you,   thanks for checking in.  I think Squirrel has found the perfect home.  Good luck with the job aps.   Oh, and the yoga....I made it through 50 minutes.  That last bit tho, whoa.:shocker!:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:43 PM
14 below.   Come on softee!:laugh:  It's no wonder we treat you like another country, we're afraid you all might share it with the rest of us.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-02-07 3:48 PM
Better send her some Wawa coffee to thaw out her bones.:wink:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-02-08 2:51 PM
Wake up BBS!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-02-07 4:57 PM
No school today.  It rained overnight.  There was a little bit of freezing rain.  It doesn't take much to close schools here.  It was a non-teaching instruction day so we don't have to make it up.  I got to work from home.

I got out at 2:00 this afternoon for my run.  I ran 5 miles.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday - 2/7/2018