Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / The Real New Year is Here - Monday 2/5
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-02-05 7:19 AM
Even if I don't care much about the Super Bowl, I have come to consider the day after as the start of the new year.

People who start New Year's (diet) resolutions on January 1st set themselves up for failure. How can you diet through the college bowl games and the NFL playoffs?

But now is the time to get serious about any resolutions should you be of that mind.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-02-05 7:26 AM
I ended up watching most of the game last night. Very good game and even though I didn't care about either team it kept my interest going. After the first half I did some reading and "watched" the second half with the sound turned down a bit and I had enough cushion in the DVR to fast forward through the commercials.

So I guess today I should get back on the wagon if I want to improve my running. I should throw out the leftover chips and pizza. The sweets were finished off last night. I'll hang on to the rest of the beer though. It is an important food group.

I started the day with a simple 3.04 miles. Rain yesterday followed by a 20° temperature drop left many icy spots to navigate at the park.

Time to turn my attention back to work....
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-02-05 7:40 AM
Good morning Dave and thanks for starting us off today.

I watched the game on and off.  My husband watched the whole thing.  Since it was just the two of us, we made a small serving of the Velveeta/Rotel queso dip.  We still have some leftover and will probably eat throughout the week.  We both love that stuff!  Plus I also made a peanut/pretzel/fritos mixture.  I used the spicy fritos and the peanuts were also spicy.  It was tasty and we too have some of that left, but will finish it throughout the week.

After our beautiful day yesterday, today we woke up to a cloudy morning.  Rain is in the forecast and I hope we get some as it is much needed.

Have a good productive Monday all!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-02-05 8:07 AM
FINALLY!!!:grin::cool::cool::grin: Being a lifetime Eagles, this was nerve racking and phun.  Started  the game at a big SB + birthday party.  Came home at half time so I could hear the game.  Over ate at the party of course.   State up real late listening/watching Philly radio TV.  

Will run after coffee kicks in.  A brand new Peruvian coffee and it may be among best ever.  Wawa had free coffee yesterday in PA, NJ, DE.  :cool:

Tom in DE :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:13 AM
Congrats to your Eagles winning the Super Bowl!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:15 AM
I was thinking about you and Geel.  2 of the happiest  Eagle fans.   Also thinking of Dottie and Pam for exactly the opposite reason.   I'm so glad it was an entertaining game.  I hate when I lose interest before halftime.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:13 AM
Can someone please explain to me why rioting was necessary in Philly?  If those people want to burn and destroy things, then let them set their own cars on fire and destroy their own homes.

And what is the big deal about the Jenner girl giving birth?  Surely people don't think she is a role model.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:16 AM
hmmm.....may have to take a look at the news....I didn't know this was going on.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:32 AM
Tom and Geel seem ok but in my opinion Philadelphia has the most unstable fans. I don't know of any other city that has had to have a jail in their stadium to contain the worst of them.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:39 AM
the link does not have a jail. the vet did, but we do not have one now
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:41 AM
Not sure where you saw rioting in Philly:wtf::wtf::wtf:  Some street lights were toppled from guys climbing and an awning collapsed outside a restaurant.  Tens of thousands in the streets to celebrate pretty much orderly.  A gas station was looted, but taht happens even w/o Eagles.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-02-05 10:44 AM
1060 also said there were cars over turned, store front windows broken and graffiti in addition to what you said. Rioting isn't what I heard but there was definitely destruction of property.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-02-05 3:28 PM
I saw that the police tried to coat the street light poles in Crisco to try to deter that behavior.

It is probably undeserved, but the Eagles fans have quite the reputation outside of Philly.  The Flyers fans too.  I've been to hockey games in Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Dallas but I don't think I would ever go to a game in Philly. At least not with my Sabres' jersey on.

I don't know what Buffalo fans would do if they ever won a Super Bowl or Stanley Cup. And unfortunately, I don't think I will ever learn what they would do.

Enjoy the win. I know I would if I was from there.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-02-05 10:43 AM
In my opinion it's because they are morons. The few that behave in this fashion just give all philadelphians and the burbs a bad name. It's pathetic that they both celebrate a win and mourn a loss with the SAME STINKING BEHAVIOR! It's deplorable.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-02-05 11:00 AM
It's like that just about anywhere when a team wins or loses a championship game.  At WVU, people pull their couches on the street and light them on fire after a big game.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-02-05 11:39 AM
:shocker!:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:14 AM
I like your way of thinking.  Happy New Year to you too!

I think last night may have been the first time I ever watched an entire Super Bowl.  It certainly was a different type of game.  Since I don't know all the nuances of football I enjoyed it being a game of offense.  I'm really happy for the Eagles QB; what a story to go from 2nd string to Super Bowl.  I liked the lack of thrown flags and I also don't recall seeing many show-off players.

I saw some of the halftime show - discovered that Justin Timberlake is not too bad.  I'd never seen him before.  And am I the only one that thought the Tide commercials were about a "Tie Dad"?
Seriously, I thought it was about ties for the first 30 seconds or so.

We have a big snow storm bearing down on us.  I put the car in the garage after my Happy Tails gig and don't need to go anywhere until Thursday.  The weatherman would have us believe it will take that long to dig out.....
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:37 AM
I loved the common theme of kindness and acceptance in the commercials
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:44 AM
You would really like this Eagles team.  What an incredible bunch of guys.  Just great roll models.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:24 AM
I didn't watch the game.  Congratulations to the Eagles! 

It was cold at 11 windchill.  I got up at 4:00 and read for about 35 minutes and just didn't feel like running much in cold temps.  I figured I would run shorter than usual.  Once I was moving down the road I felt fine and ended up with my weekday 8 miles.
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:36 AM
I typed up some fun things but my finger hit the wrong key and my lengthy reply to "those people" vanished. It's just as well, it wasn't nice
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-02-05 10:45 AM
Okay.  Type up some nice things.   It was so fuuuuunnnnnnnnn!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-02-05 3:01 PM
I am sorry but I didn't mean to offend anyone when I used the words "those people."  I should have said when fans react that way.  And yes I know that other cities also have fans that react the same way also.  I just don't understand why winning or losing is an excuse to destroy property.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / The Real New Year is Here - Monday 2/5