Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Welcome Back Wednesday NRR
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-31 10:57 AM
We're back :grin:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-31 11:07 AM
Hi :blush::happy:
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-31 11:51 AM
Hi.  I'm sure I have a ton going on but want to say I'm out of the boot.  So much better and my bed sore on my heel is finally healing.  Stayed the same nastiness with boot on.  Good news is my PT thinks I can run sooner than surgeon thinks.  Not sure who to trust though.  Surgeon said 4 months post op.  PT thinks before my next surgery recheck (at 2.5 months post op).  Surgeon did tell him directly he could be aggressive with my therapy.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-31 5:19 PM
Hooray for being out of the boot!  I vote for waiting until the bed sore on your heel is totally healed before you think about running. : pbbt:
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-31 6:13 PM
That is probably sound advice.  But really, the amount it's healed with the boot off is crazy - I mean pretty sure the boot caused it so it makes sense but glad it looks so much better.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-31 12:05 PM
Yay, we're finally back!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-31 12:06 PM
Like Poltergeist?
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-31 12:20 PM
Back to reality after a great sunny vacation week and I now have an 8 yo! Crazy how the years fly by yet drag at the same time. Started my new job this week, although no real change (accept title and pay) for a couple weeks.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-31 4:32 PM
Next time you go on vacation, please do not take the server with you...:wink:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-31 4:46 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-31 8:01 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-02-01 8:16 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-01-31 12:27 PM
Hurray! :grin: I was beginning to worry we were gone for good...
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-31 2:27 PM
Yay!
the defense is scheduled...and I have a shopping list for bringing girlscout cookies :laugh:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-01-31 4:36 PM
:laugh::cool:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-31 4:45 PM
:cool::cool: I brought breakfast things to mine, and it was much appreciated at 8am... that, and the coffee.  Perhaps more so the coffee... : pbbt:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-31 7:47 PM
We'll have cookies, fruit, sandwiches, coffee, water, and soda. It's mid-morning, ending at lunch & in the lab.  We expect about 30 people :shocker!:, most of them friendly : pbbt:.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-31 6:05 PM
Did you take favorite requests???

Good luck on your defense.  How will you keep yourself busy once you're done?
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-31 7:49 PM
My daughters can tell me what the favorites are, based on their sales statistics. :roll:

Busy?  I have a goal to be bored for two whole weeks after this is done. :laugh: But seriously, March is "Cookie Season" and our troop has at least 7 booths planned for the month, my kids have at least 3 more planned on their own, so yeah, I'll have plenty to do.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-31 8:02 PM
:cool:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-02-01 10:46 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-01-31 2:38 PM
I panicked when the forum was down for so long...I said to DH "where am I going to find the lentil taco recipe??!!!"
I feel like there is so much I reference/search for on the forum. It is archiving my life, I neeeeeeed it!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-31 4:32 PM
I know! It's the best way to find things like "when did we replace the dishwasher, anyway?"
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-31 4:43 PM
Precisely!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-31 5:21 PM
I've made lentil tacos enough times that I don't even need to look at the recipe anymore. :laugh:  Mom is making lentil tacos for dinner tonight.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-02-01 9:35 AM
I feel the same way.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-31 5:49 PM
We were down for what, close to a week?  It has been an interesting week. :roll:  Surgeon sis and her partner came to visit.  They're nice people and I like her partner, but sis hasn't worked since she moved in with her partner and seems to have become accustomed to not really accomplishing much and not really paying attention to anyone other than herself, her partner, and her cat.  Like leaving laundry strewn about, dishes in the sink (or strewn about because why not leave lunch dishes on the table for hours?), and wanting to "help" but then refusing to do things she was specifically asked to help do.  Sorry, but I don't consider a family member coming to stay to be the sort of guest who doesn't cook or clean yet expects to be provided with food. :meh:  She went to brunch and came home at 5pm and oh so helpfully told me that she thought I was working too much and ought to hire out all of the things that need to be done. :roll:  We get along ok most of the time, but this was not one of her better visits.  Mom was also stressed out by having her around because Mom is working on packing up the library and sis wanted to pick paint colors and didn't want to help with the things she could've actually helped to do.

Oh, and I think A is now scheduled for another surgery in about three weeks.  It should be a fairly minor surgery for anyone who isn't her, but there are a lot of extenuating factors that mean she'll probably be in the hospital for a few days and will have a more involved follow-up surgery about six weeks later.  A is stressed because she doesn't want to have surgery but feels like it's her only option, and Mom is still not driving and is overall fairly tired so it's hard to say how much she will be able to do in a few weeks.

But hey, the bathroom is making progress.  Plumbing and HVAC has been moved.  Electrical is being moved right now and sheetrock is supposed to go in on Friday.  Then I just have to do all of the things (tile + a lot of carpentry projects) to make it back into a functional bathroom.  Unfortunately I've had to accept that a lot of the carpentry projects I will actually enjoy will likely have to wait because things like tile have to be done before the plumbing can be finished and that's the most important part of the bathroom.

I am going to see my most favorite live band on Friday and Tuesday.  They haven't been on tour in a little while so I'm super stoked about that, even though the the Friday show is about three hours away so it will be a very late night.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-31 6:12 PM
So does surgeon sis not do those chores for partner if not workibng?  Or was this supposed to be a "vacation" and therefore she doesn't need to do it? 

Hope that you at least enjoy the concerts.  Does your favorite band begin with an M and two words or a V?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-31 6:22 PM
I guess she considers this to be a vacation. :roll:  Overall she seemed annoyed that she decided to come visit and everyone else wasn't able to immediately drop what they were doing to sleep in, hang out at coffee shops, and just hang out without having to worry about pesky things like working or fixing supper. :roll:

Favorite band is Machine Head. :hug:
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-31 6:24 PM
Hope A does well with surgery.  She needs a break (and you could also benefit from such a break as well).
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-31 6:23 PM
:cry: You have so much going on. Your doc sis is selfish and inconsiderate. I hope A's health improves. Hooray for the concerts coming up!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-01 1:35 PM
Surgeon sis sounds like she needs a swift kick. Or a 2x4 upside the head. Doesn't work, doesn't do housework, doesn't do what she's asked to do, and then is annoyed because not everyone is happy to see her?

Sorry A is having another surgery. That's a lot.

Yay for progress in the bathroom! Yes, plumbing is rather important. And have fun at the concerts!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-02-01 5:56 PM
These are largely my sentiments as well.... so I'll just second them!
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-31 6:30 PM
I missed everyone! Even though I don't always post, I always read posts. Tomorrow DH is getting knee surgery for a miniscus tear. It's his third, second for the left knee. Then he needs carpal tunnel surgery in both arms.:cry: Not a good time for us financially, but I keep getting more work. I have been biking mostly but want to try running this weekend or Friday. I have aches still, but I'd like to get back to running.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-31 8:14 PM
Good luck to your DH.  Hope he has a quick recovery.  Can/will they do both carpal tunnels at the same time?
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-02-01 9:35 AM
They don't do them at the same time.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-31 8:27 PM
Hope all goes well with DH surgery
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-31 8:41 PM
I hope things so smoothly with DH's surgery.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-01 1:35 PM
Glad you are getting more work. Sorry for DH's surgeries -- work related I hope?
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-02-01 2:00 PM
What happened to the marathons board? Anyone know where they went? (just being nosy...)
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-01 5:44 PM
Dailies? I think they are all on L&O now. It was suggested that dailies be combined into one big daily thread. I think Beginners opted to stay mostly separate, Women's did also, but Marathons moved their dailies to L&O. Some of us double post on Women's and L&O.
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-02-02 12:35 PM
Ah, right...I remember that. I used to participate mostly on Marathons before moving here to Womens, and it was pretty busy back in the day.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-02-01 5:35 PM
The bathroom is ready for sheetrock!  (Which is good because the sheetrocker is supposed to be here tomorrow morning.)  There's still a lot left to do, but we're making visible progress.  The bathroom has been torn out and re-framed.  The plumbing, electrical, and HVAC have been moved.  Once the sheetrock goes in, it will be at least theoretically ready for paint, but the next big thing to do is to set the shower base and get everything ready for tile.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-02-01 5:55 PM
:hug: I'm so glad for you. The plumbing/electric/HVAC is scary, glad that's out of the way and worked out.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-02-01 6:18 PM
you're making a lot of progress!
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-02-01 7:23 PM
:grin::cool:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-31 4:41 PM
Rant ahead.

As most of you know, DSBF has been driving my van for some time. He can't afford to buy a car and he needs to get to/from work. DS is driving Sis's old car.

We don't have enough room to park four cars in the garage, and all of us have cars. Up until last week DSBF was parking the van on the street, DD and DS had their cars on the driveway, and my car parks in the garage.

Some arsehole drove down our street last Wednesday night firing a BB gun at car windows. I believe the final count that night was 8 vehicles. The van was one of them. Drivers side sliding door window was shattered.

DSBF was also shattered. He just got his W-2 and was looking forward to getting a tax refund. Now the van needs a new window.

I think my mum and I will split the cost of that window as a birthday present for DSBF, whose birthday is at the end of February, but dammit, I do hate vandalism. So petty and senseless. Nobody except the repair shops benefit in the slightest from having car windows shot out. Do they just like seeing the windows break?

And 9 more vehicles got shot at last night.

DS and DD are now parking on what used to be our lawn (it's dead) and DSBF is parking near the house rather than on the street, which puts the van out of range of a lot of pellet guns. But not all our neighbors have the ability to park far off the street.
:mutmad:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-31 4:45 PM
I am also fuming at the dolts who did that. Damage to bystander cars (is that a term?), not to mention the harm potential to people.... so sorry Tessa. Very good idea on the bday present of the window for DSBF, but grrrrrr.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-01-31 5:07 PM
Little fuckers. Sorry. In Michigan we have a comprehensive add-on to our car insurance which is separate from collision; this covers things like broken windows. I'm betting that if you have it maybe the deductible is still higher than the cost of the window? Ugh.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-01 1:38 PM
The only car of ours that has any comprehensive/collision is DD's which is new enough to justify the premium.

The van is a 2000 Honda Odyssey. The annual physical damage premium plus the deductible is more than the value of the vehicle. Likewise my 2001 Mazda Protégé and DS's 2007 Ford Fusion.

We pay off vehicles as quickly as possible and then drive them until the wheels fall off.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-02-01 5:59 PM
We do the same with vehicles, quick payoff and drive til no longer safe/viable or they cost too much in maintenance to make it worthwhile. Newest is my mum's this year, before which hers was nearly 20 years old. I know people in MyCity who purposely keep old beat-up vehicles because driving here can be so dangerous and car parks such a nightmare... older cars are less likely to get attacked, or if they get a slight dent or two it is not the end of the world.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-02-01 6:20 PM
Same here. I drive a ~15 year old vehicle & won't consider replacing it until after I graduate & no longer have to park in student :roll: lots.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-31 5:15 PM

That sucks on all levels.  You're kind enough to give DSBF a vehicle to use and it doesn't sound like he is negligent in any way, but now the van needs repairs because some punks get their jollies by damaging vehicles. :meh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-31 5:16 PM
Yes.:meh:
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-01-31 5:57 PM
Sometimes people do suck.  THey probably enjoy knocking over mailboxes too.  At an old neighborhood of mine someone was driving past homes and trying to throw things through the home windows.  One of DD1's friend's house got a broken window that way.  Nice of you to give it as a present to him.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-31 6:21 PM
I hope they catch whoever is shooting the windows out. I would be ticked.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-31 8:04 PM
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-02-01 8:49 AM
I hate pointless vandalism. :mutmad:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-02-01 6:20 PM
:meh:
- - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-02-01 6:22 PM
I'm proud to announce that I am still a graduate student, despite roasting one of my committee members today at a seminar. :laugh: I had some help, though. An undergrad played & sang the song, I just modified the lyrics. : pbbt: So very glad that I have a committee with a collective sense of humor.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-02-02 10:29 AM
Ooh. Sounds like fun!
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-02-02 11:46 AM
it was magnificent. I'll PM you the link to the video. :grin:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Welcome Back Wednesday NRR