Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / New Week, New NRR
- - By swandive Date 2018-01-22 4:00 PM
22 January until someone posts a new one.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-22 4:06 PM
In today's episode of adventures I didn't want to have, I was planning to replace the back door today before the rain moved in.  Except when I started tearing into it it quickly became obvious that it's not just the sill of the old door that is rotten.  The subfloor is also completely rotted through and you can see from outside the house into the basement.  I do not want this kind of daylight basement. :meh:  It's not the end of the world -- the band and floor joists look to be solid and the subfloor can be replaced -- but it's more to do and will require more time with the door out of the hole.  So I quit on that project for today because I didn't want to tear into it any more and risk not having the door in by the time it started raining.  So now I have an extra fun project to look forward to tomorrow. :meh:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-22 4:27 PM
:sad: of course that would happen. You sound very overworked and under appreciated.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-22 4:36 PM
Some randoms:

There is a dead blackbird on our front lawn. Don't know if it's the pooper but for the record, I have an alibi - we were away camping.

Do you consider penis to be a toilet/dirty word?:wtf: ministicky was told that at preschool. Not sure if by a teacher or a buddy.

where Mini and I run there is quite regularly a runner who talks to himself pretty loudly while he runs. Not sure if it's Tourette syndrome or something else, but last time Mini asked me why the guy does that and I wasn't sure how to approach it for his age. Thoughts on a good answer?
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-01-22 4:39 PM
I don't consider the proper words for body parts to be dirty words.

I'd tell him that different folks amuse themselves differently when they run. Some talk to their kiddos, some listen to music, some talk loudly.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-01-23 5:09 AM
I agree with the body part thing, why would the proper name for a body part be dirty? Aren't we past that nowadays?
Parent - - By gophergirl [mx] Date 2018-01-22 5:21 PM
Nope, do not consider a body part a dirty word. I wonder if it is similar to O's school where they can't say bathroom/restroom since it isn't appropriate :meh:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-01-23 2:01 PM
What the heck are they supposed to say?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-23 3:58 PM
:blush: If my kids' school had that rule, I might be prompted to send them with some suggestions
Parent - By gophergirl [mx] Date 2018-01-23 4:31 PM
Believe me, I've been tempted! :evil:
Parent - - By gophergirl [mx] Date 2018-01-23 4:30 PM
That was my question too :roll: I guess the have to sign it since it's not a "good word" :wtf:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-23 6:10 PM
So you use ASL for "bad" words.  That's even worse. :mutmad:
Parent - - By gophergirl [mx] Date 2018-01-24 8:53 AM
Even worse they taught the sign wrong :mutmad:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-01-24 10:25 AM
Seriously? :mutmad:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-23 8:14 PM
:mischief::mischief:
Soooo.... it's okay to "swear" in another language in her school?  Would you like some new vocabulary?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-25 10:28 AM
I'm afraid to ask what they do use. The British words "W.C." (for water closet) or lavatory might be a solution. Anything to avoid "Teacher, I need to go take a dump."

And I'm reminded of the school where one child was chided for using "baby words" such as pee-pee for that particular function. Later that day, it was time for oral book reports. The kid went up and delivered a report on the book she'd read:
"Winnie the Shit."
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-01-22 5:32 PM
More likely to have come from a buddy than a teacher, I would think (or at least I hope!). 

I think spccr6's advice is good - just taking notice of the fact that people do things differently, and that's fine.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-22 6:03 PM
I hope you got rid of the blackbird evidence....: pbbt:

No, I don't consider "penis" to be a dirty word; it's the correct word for the body part, and should be okay, IMO.

Re: the Tourette's guy, it's never too early to start instilling shame and stranger fear into kids by hissing at them to shut up and telling them you'll explain later...then never do. It's worked for generations, so it must be right?  (Oh, okay, you're no fun: at Mini's age, you can just tell him the man can't help talking out loud; some people just can't turn their voices off like the rest of us do; it's like they have a broken switch.)
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-22 6:48 PM Edited 2018-01-22 6:51 PM
I was a bit disappointed about the penis comment - hoping it was a buddy and not a teacher. Though some things do get lost in translation by the time they get home - they were told it's not polite to talk when you have food in your mouth, so now when we ask him a question at dinner, rather than answering, he opens his mouth wide to show us that there's food in there and that's why he's not answering.:laugh: Thanks, buddy.

And Tourette's guy - I tried a version of your answer last time we encountered the guy(benefit, or not, of speaking a different language, I can, or have to, actually answer his questions on the spot). His next question was, "why?"
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-22 6:55 PM Edited 2018-01-22 6:58 PM
"Well, son, because his deoxyribonucleic acid, which encodes the way all the proteins in our body are put together, has a tiny piece that is just a little different from most people's, and it makes him talk when he shouldn't."
"Why?"
"BECAUSE."

You might also consider telling him that the guy is talking to the ghosts all around us. It could be a great conversation starter! :grin:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-01-22 7:28 PM
Usually when I get a to why question that really there's no way for me to know, I turn it around and talk about how people are just different, like "you prefer <insert food your kid likes that a friend doesn't> and <friend> doesn't.  People do and like different things and we don't always know why"
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-23 8:49 PM
Yup, this is what we do.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-22 6:39 PM
bird-- just because you were away camping doesn't mean you didn't hire a hit.  Or, perhaps, the lack of adequate bathroom facilities is what killed him.

Penis is a correct word.  Nothing that is anatomically correct is "dirty".  Don't get me started on the difference between vagina and labia!

Are you sure he isn't on some sort of Bluetooth device?
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-01-22 6:50 PM
You will get no information out of the cat. He speaks to no one.

It's not bluetooth, there is definitely something else going on.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-23 11:39 AM
The cat will never talk.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-01-22 8:33 PM
Definitely not a dirty word, but also not something we discuss in polite company.

Like its great that he has one" but we dont go showing it to others.

Very hard to explain to kids.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-23 12:01 PM
T-bone is a wizard. Just gonna say it. He makes armor, and is really good at it. And he is making me a new set of leg armor that will be more protective, and also act as a knee brace for lateral motion. It has been the coolest thing ever to watch the entire process from start to almost finish. Geeky coolness!

On a cat-related note, I am waiting to talk with the vet about Dali's condition, and brushing up on what I know about feline chronic kidney failure. If I remember the numbers she cited last week correctly, Dali is in the final stage of renal failure, and normal life expectancy for cats at this point is an average of 39 days from diagnosis. :meh::sad: However, Rocker very kindly contacted me and shared her experiences with Momo, and reminded me not to pay attention to the numbers, but to how the kitty is doing. So...I am looking into giving her subcutaneous fluids and other measures to see if it helps. She is perkier in some ways since getting fluid last week, but she appears to be losing weight continuously, no matter what we feed her.

But she is being lovey and responsive when we pick her up and love on her still, and still looks interested in the world, so she is hanging in for now. We will see how things go day by day.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-23 4:08 PM
:hug::hug: Day by day makes sense. Sending you hugs Zip. Never easy to know that there will be challenges ahead, but glad that Dali is still loving and responsive. You are taking care of her, and I imagine that registers in an instinctual way.

:cool: on T-bone's kit-making skill! And very clever to think of combining it with the knee brace - I'd imagine that wearing a separate brace would throw off the fit?
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-23 6:26 PM
There would be too much bulk under the knee if I tried to wear a true orthotic brace with a hinge. So he is making it to accommodate a knee wrap (which will provide a little support) and then the armor itself will provide lateral stability. I.e., if I take a hit or get knocked sideways, the armor will hold my knee and keep it from bending the wrong way. It is very clever.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-24 10:25 AM
:hug::cool:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-23 7:00 PM
We have Gasparilla here where the Pirates invade Tampa (mainly an excuse for people to get very drunk and catch beads...but I digress)
Part of the story is the Pirates (local men in a social club mostly lawyers and old money dudes) show up at city hall a few days before the parade and demand the key from the Mayor. The Mayor refuses and the Pirates - infuriated - promise to return in full force.

So the story is that today was the day the Pirates come to city hall (I work downtown) and there is lots of cannon fire and whatall for about 10 minutes.

I'm out walking on the River Front over lunch and there were a couple tourists who looked TERRIFIED. I saw people ducking for cover. I first joked to a few "no worries its only Pirates" but then I felt bad with all the shootings and stuff you can't even have fun anymore without really scaring some folks. :sad:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-23 8:42 PM
:sad: I wish I had a source easy to find, but IIRC, the number of shootings (homicides) across the country is at a low. I fear that the incidents that do occur are being talked about and recycled so many times on social media and 24-hour news that it just "feels" more dangerous because we hear about it more.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-24 11:04 AM
that does sound fun but yea sad that it is tough to even get to have fun without scaring people
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-23 8:40 PM
three chapters done. I need to finish chapter #4 tomorrow (minus some illustrations that will take longer to create), and #5 by this weekend. Just in case you think I'm insane, both are written, but need the polishing step & all those little transition sentences done. Yet to be written - Conclusions chapter (only 8-10 pages, max) & the introductory paragraph that I'm using for the abstract instead.

Hoping my experiments continue to run successfully, I need 10 successful trials & have 6 so far. If all goes well, I'll be drawing the last of the figures in a week.

And I need new pants, so I have something to wear for my defense that looks sharp. :mutmad::meh: I'm afraid to exchange these because I'm just spitballing the size now, but the pants are nice & I like the fabric a lot. Perhaps I can pry myself away & go to a store this weekend.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-23 8:50 PM
Good luck with the writing and the experiments!  And shopping for pants.  :meh:  Which of the three will be the most difficult?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-23 9:32 PM
Do you even need to ask that question? :cry:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-01-24 10:24 AM
:laugh::laugh::cry:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-24 10:26 AM
:cry: Perhaps you should look for a skirt? Often easier to fit....
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-24 12:45 PM
You don't know me very well, do you?  : pbbt:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-24 2:24 PM
:laugh:
I suppose so.
Maybe weighing the agony of shopping against what you see as the misery of wearing a skirt?

Nobutreally, I hope you find trousers that fit.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-24 2:53 PM
I don't think skirts are misery, just prefer not to wear 'dress skirts'.   I have a few long skirts that would work, but aren't "suit" quality.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-24 6:31 PM
crapity crap crap - the store no longer has any smaller sizes of these pants :meh: anywhere :meh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-24 10:30 AM
When is your defense?? You've gone through this program FAST!!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-24 12:46 PM
not scheduled yet, but Murphy's Law states it will be the last week of February or first week of March, because I have 500-billion other things those two weeks (legit - 27 specific meetings or appointments in 2 weeks!  :laugh::cry:)

Yeah, it's pretty fast, even though I'm truly 8 months delayed due to work overruling sometimes & pulling me off of research entirely for weeks, or months, on end. I was officially accepted to the PhD program in January 2015.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-24 2:27 PM
wow. that's soon.  break a leg!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-24 3:05 PM
It helped a lot to have planned the research for ~2 years prior to starting - I had done all the legal legwork for collecting data, IP agreements, terms of service, etc., through my employer. You might go back even further by 3 or 4 years because I helped design the transmitters that collect the data : pbbt:. Even meeting with my now adviser for 18 months before ever registering for a class, planning out what the scope of the research would be "on the side" as it were. Even better, my employer has discussed a whole slew of G's and O's for this year that are all related to my research & transitioning across my current role into a new role related to my degree. Of course, I'm terrified that the new role will be awful, or my new colleagues will see that I'm a total newB, but fear is healthy.

Every so often, people leave our company claiming "no room for growth." I have to bite my tongue - there is room for growth, but you have to create the room yourself - advocate for the project, draft proposals, pound the cubicle world to gain support around the departments. There is no "defined pathway to growth." It's by no means easy, and I am fully aware that not everyone has my level of drive? dedication? stubbornness?
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-24 3:32 PM
Wow. I finished in 4 years, post masters. And that was considered FAST for my department. I also knew what I wanted to do for my research. Of course, qualitative research takes a while.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-24 6:10 PM
This was all work we were doing anyway, and when I was discussing it with my (now retired) manager, words to the effect of: "With all this data being measured, if we had a database collecting it, we could do some really neat things with machine learning". Not too long after, we bought a company that had a system where they already used a form of that database, so I brought it up again & started brainstorming real applications. My research that will be published is not directly commercially viable (too computationally intensive at the moment), but there are a bunch of easier projects that I've shelved because they don't count for novelty in academia.

The company collects the data to aid our customers to do their business (yes, generic for a reason). The data mining I'm doing will pave the way for that to be more useful, giving us a better product to sell.
Up Topic Communities / Women / New Week, New NRR