Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Weekend NRR/RR
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-20 11:01 AM
Time for a new post :grin:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-20 11:02 AM
RR
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-20 11:05 AM
17 miles done! Ran to meet a friend for 8 miles then ran home and got Cooper to finish since the ice had melted. 36 degrees and sunny, it is wonderful :cool:

Now to start the dreaded packing for vacation in between running O to 2 dance practices.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-20 1:41 PM
:grin:  Nice!  Where are you going on vacation?  Some beach somewhere?  :cool:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-20 8:55 PM
Yes, beach all inclusive resort :cool:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-22 8:15 AM
those are my favorite. enjoy
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-20 7:45 PM
Nice run!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-20 5:37 PM
Ran 4 miles in the park while it was still 50 and pleasant. Snow forecast for tomorrow, and boy, my joints could feel the drop in barometric pressure this morning!
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-20 7:46 PM
Are you getting a lot of snow?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-21 1:17 PM
It is about 2" right now. The forecast is calling for 4-10" before we are done tomorrow morning, but currently we have the eye of this storm just spinning on top of us, so we're thinking we may get the max amount forecasted. The wind is picking up and we are expecting 20-30 mph winds and gust up to 40 mph, so whiteout/blizzard conditions later today.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-20 9:30 PM
I ran 13.77 this morning.  Fairly decent run as I was exhausted last night and am even more exhausted now.  The first part of the run was pretty good, then I got cod, but ended up kinda hot, so I guess I dressed fairly well. :laugh:  Not a terribly long long run, but I followed it up by working 11-6:30, so I'm beat.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-20 10:44 PM
20 miler done! Slippery in parts because of rain yesterday. But a good run anyway.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-21 4:03 PM
Nice!!
Parent - - By gophergirl [mx] Date 2018-01-21 7:35 PM
Nice!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-21 8:45 PM
Ooh, nice flag! :cool:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-20 11:02 AM
NRR
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-20 1:51 PM
I am trying to bike every other day and see how that goes.  Yesterday, it was 72 and so beautiful and I wanted to take the day off and bike, especially since I worked the previous Saturday.  Everything was taking so long at work, that I kept not getting to leave; we have a release Tuesday.  Finally, I just went and the biking was great!  Just beautiful and so nice to get to bike in shorts in January!  There was some idiot out ice fishing.  :roll:   I averaged 17 mph for 19 miles, then cooled down on the bike path home.  I've hardly done 16 mph average, so this means the indoor trainer has been kicking my butt, but making me stronger.  But something was cramping near my knee, and afterwards I could hardly walk, my knees were so swollen.  :sad:  Today is OK, but I'll stick with alternate days.  It's all getting me down; it's just taking too long.  I don't think I should still have swelling; they had said 6-8 months and it is now almost a year for the one knee.  If I do less, I feel lazy and depressed.  So, I work out to feel like myself.  But then I get depressed if the knees swell.  And I was taking celebrex, and that helped, but 2 days ago I decided to not take it anymore, as I am getting such bad heartburn that it is hard to sleep.  Ugh. 

So, I ended up coming to work, and the network is so slow I can hardly get anything done.  Hard to believe I've been here over 3 hours...but otherwise, I would think about it all weekend and would be extra stressed Monday.  Ugh.  Maybe the network was all excited about the government shutdown and decided to shutdown...
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-20 5:36 PM
I am stoked you were able to get out and bike while it was so nice!! But yeah, boo on the length of recovery...:meh:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-20 7:45 PM
Have you asked the doc or a PT about the swelling? Do you still ice? I had to give up Celebrex too. Maybe you can do something like yoga on the other days? It stinks when your body doesn't want to work the way you want it to work.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-20 8:57 PM
Sounds like a great day, 72 would be amazing!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-01-20 7:42 PM Edited 2018-01-20 7:48 PM
Nothing today. This was a very long week and I had work this morning. Last night I was up from 2-4. I rode on the trainer 4 times this week, so I was ok with missing a workout. Tomorrow I'm going to start back to core work. I thought I broke a rib, but according to X-rays I didn't. It hurt really bad, like the times I had breaks and my robs have had breaks for the last few years. A PT friend said it could be muscle. I don't know. It hurt to touch the area, to breath in and out and move. It is better, but not healed. Maybe ligaments? I wish my doc would just let me get an MRI to see what my ribs look like, as this has been ongoing.of course I rode on the trainer since sitting up is ok. My back also is still wacky, but manageable. It hurts more in the morning, so maybe it's more arthritis than anything else. Weird body. I got a nice compliment from one of my families. My student, who is 18 months saw his eye doctor and his is making such good progress. The doctor asked for my name since the family raved about me. The doc likes to recommend good teachers. Of course the boy is doing great because he is a smarty pants and the family is very involved.:happy: It is nice to have my name out there though.
DH has to get another knee surgery and was also diagnosed with carpal tunnel in both arms. Crazy week.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-20 9:36 PM
I got A to agree to light fixtures.  They're on sale this week. :laugh:  These fixtures.  It required a marathon-length phone call about strokes and service dogs, but we've finally settled on light fixtures that no one loves but everyone thinks are fine.  And honestly?  Most of the time a light fixture is doing its job if you don't notice it.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-22 8:20 AM
OK I'm confused, is the bathroom you're working on at the house you live at or at A's house? I assumed it was your house/parents' house and if A lives an hour away then why does she care about the light fixture. Or will she be moving in in the future?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-20 10:16 PM
I'm having a hard time keeping up with everything.  China sis is coming back to the States and will be here by mid-March and is expected to stay until early 2019.  She will be bringing her husband and three children.  They plan to find a place to rent, but they'll be here, not in China.  This is a big deal for a lot of reasons, but it is also relevant because of the bathroom project I'm working on needs to be completed before they arrive.  Ditto for the other two exterior doors that need to be changed.  And both of those have to get done (along with a hundred other smaller projects) so that a third party can come in and replace the wood floors on the first floor of the house.  This is particularly important because it means putting non-carpet finished floors in bedrooms for A and for the grandkids.  The first floor of the house also contains a library [i.e. thousands of books that will have to be moved] and a grand piano.  I'm fairly certain the literal grand piano is a metaphor for something...

That's more than enough to keep me busy for a couple of months, right?  Except there's A, who lives on her own but needs to be taken to some doctors' appointments and who really doesn't do well if she goes more than a few days without company.  A lives an hour away, but she needs enough support that going to visit takes the entire day.  Mom was doing a lot with A, but Mom had a minor stroke a couple of weeks ago.  She seems to be mostly fine from a basic, physical standpoint, but she's really tired, reading has been wearisome, and she hasn't been driving.  She hasn't been up to cleaning and has done very little cooking.  She needs help with laundry and she has to feel up to opening the mail.  Dad has been doing what he can, but he also works.  Taking care of A and now Mom would be a full-time job, but I'm doing a shitty job of it because I'm working all day on remodeling projects that need to get done.  So I'm not cooking much (and Mom is on a diet such that take-out isn't an option) and am generally insensitive to her disability (that is hopefully not permanent but is definitely a current reality) because I just can't do all of the things all at once.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-20 11:38 PM
Oh, honey. That's far too much for one person to take on. How can the burden be reduced?
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-21 7:35 PM
That's what I'm trying to figure out...  So far we haven't taken the human cloning thing too seriously. :laugh:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-21 7:10 AM
Can you afford to hire out any of this? Its not perfect but...

1) huge construction done by Mid March? I doubt all of that will happen even if you were Donald Trump the Builder. That is 60 days away. I'd just put my foot down and say "bathroom is getting done my way no more dithering about fixtures and tiles"

2) A lives an hour away and wants company and needs doctor appts. Which one would you feel is BEST suited to your skill set? Hire out the other one. Mom can't do it. A may not like it but it is temporary. There are medical service companies that can take people to doctors who are certified. There are also volunteers who will come visit shut ins.

China sis should be pitching in for the $$ for these services. If she is really truely poor ok but if not and she isn't paying up she should find a place to rent rather than causing this stress to you and your family. You know they rent RV's month to month that people can stay in? Beats not having a working bathroom

If no one can truely afford to pay, then everyone needs to accept imperfection.

If you try to please all the people all the time you will end up pleasing none of the people ever.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2018-01-21 2:55 PM
This x 100
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-21 3:28 PM
Good ideas.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-21 7:58 PM
I do think that most of the construction can be done by mid-March.  It will take a lot of work and there may be details that are undone, but I think that the major stuff to have floors in and a functional bathroom can get done.  I did order light fixtures today and tile has been picked and I honestly don't care if the walls ever get painted. :laugh:  Paint colors and shower curtains are not something I've even considered.

I'm probably best suited for doing things because I'm lousy company. :blush:  I tend to focus on accomplishing things over spending quality time with people, although what A needs is help doing laundry, preparing meds and bags of supplies, someone to talk to incessantly about things she intends to buy but can't make decisions about (vacuum cleaner, mattress, garden gnome, light fixtures, etc).  I get that her anxiety + medications make decision-making very hard for her, but she drives everyone nuts.  If I ignore her (as I tend to do because I intentionally don't have my phone on me if I'm working) then she ends up sending Mom very long texts or calls her to talk and makes Mom even more exhausted.  Honestly, I'm not sure that A is capable of really understanding how her actions impact other people.  Ideally A would have someone else to talk to that isn't me or Mom, but I don't know how to go about finding her a BFF. :laugh:

China sis is poor and stressed out and most of the reason that she and her family are coming back here is that her and her family's health has been so poor that they need a chance to rest and recover.  The bathroom in question is for A, but she will be out here a lot more if China sis and the nieces are here.  The nieces are 2, 5, and 8 (I think :wtf:), so they're not exactly the ideal people to have around when working with power tools...

I think there will definitely be a level of imperfection that will have to be accepted, but I'm trying to figure out how much I can get done to make the house livable and which projects might have to wait.  Unfortunately most of the projects that will have to wait are the ones I'd most enjoy doing...
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-21 10:42 PM
Does a neighbor of A's have a dog that would like to be company for her? It seems to me that if she had a dog to talk to she might be a bit less anxious, and the dog won't care that she is talking incessantly about inconsequential things.

(Garden gnome?)
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-22 8:29 PM
A may actually be getting a service dog (which has required many long conversations :laugh::roll:) which I think could be really good for her, even if there's an added layer of responsibility there.

Regarding the gnome, my oldest sister just moved and had mentioned she'd like some things for the very small outdoor area of her apartment.  A likes gnomes and decided that surgeon sis and her partner must have the perfect gnome and has spent hours looking at and agonizing over whether a sleeping gnome is preferable to a gnome with a funny hat.  It seems very hard for her to grasp that sis will like the gnome, think it is cute, and will like that is a gift from A.  She will not go searching Amazon/eBay/Etsy to find a gnome she thinks is marginally cuter and wish she had received that one instead.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-01-22 3:14 PM
Is there a reason why A lives an hour away? Knowing that she needs family assistance, is it possible for her to move closer to home so as not to be so disruptive? IS that something that you can float past her (assuming there isn't a reason she has to be an hour away?)?
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-22 8:38 PM
A is still in grad school (albeit at a very slow pace -- I'd guess she's about five years into a two year degree and I'm not sure if she'll ever finish, but she does need the student insurance, but that's another story) so she is living in a free home close to school.  Said home is also in Atlanta, so it's much closer to most of her doctors.  Given that her current living situation is free, she couldn't afford to move to another location that is closer to us but is not actually living with my parents.  When/if she ends up having to move back out here, it will be easier in some ways because she is here, not an hour away, but she will also be far enough away from almost all of her healthcare providers (most of whom, even in a large city, are only available at very specific locations that are nowhere close to here) that she'd end up being more dependent in a lot of ways because she might be able to handle driving to a doctor that is currently 30 minutes away but she'd need someone to drive her if it'd take more than an hour to get to said doctor.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-01-22 4:55 PM
A needs a CLS worker. This is a Medicaid covered service or alternatively, if she has private insurance, should be covered through that as well. PM me for more information or help with access if you want. :hug::hug:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-22 8:42 PM
I would love some info about this.  She is disabled (legally speaking) and has Medicare, but I'm not sure if she is getting any Medicaid.  She also has secondary insurance through a university student policy that I know covers some things really well but has some other weird exclusions.

Do forgive me if I don't get back to you right away.  I have a lot on my plate.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-21 4:03 PM
Damn. That is too much for you to be a caregiver for two different adults in two different houses while also doing full-time remodeling. :sad:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-21 7:58 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-01-22 3:42 AM
Yes, I agree with this. Don't burn out while doing all this, that is not good for anyone. :hug: Outsource what you can.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-01-21 4:03 PM
Tough meeting on Saturday.  We were in there from 9-3 and were treated to a "working lunch."  You know, cram a dry sandwich in your mouth and try to make an astute comment?  Yeah, doesn't work for me.  I got all stressed out, and when I went home I almost snapped at DH for nothing.  Today was better, but I need to prep some courses for the week.  And we repeat the meeting next weekend.

On the plus side, I am teaching interesting stuff this semester and no one has identified themselves as a high-maintenance student yet.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-21 10:43 PM
Meetings on Saturdays? That suckes.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-21 4:16 PM Edited 2018-01-21 4:28 PM
Okay. I have basically gone low- to no-contact with my mom and sisters. I cut most contact with my dad a long time ago, but events of this year, and lots of reading and reflection, have made me realize that my relationship with my immediate family is pretty toxic. Especially with my mom and with Twinzilla. The legacy of addiction, narcissism and codependency is so strong in my family, and it has taken a little while to realize that if there is a "scapegoat" in my family, it is me. And I am sick of it. I refuse the role. And I will not play the game anymore.

This has been causing me some grief, of course, because it means I have basically cast myself off solo, and suddenly I have gone from having way too much family, to none at all that I communicate with.

And this means a more or less complete evolution away from my previous life. Everything I used to know is gone. The person I thought I was has changed. My old life, my family, my profession, my environment, my health, my physical abilities, my friends, my sense of who I am...everything has changed in the last few years. Some days I feel lost. Some days I feel really hopeful. It's all weird.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-21 7:59 PM
That's a lot of change.  Even if it's overall change for the good, it's no wonder that you feel a bit lost at times. :hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-21 10:44 PM
All your sisters? Big Sis included? She seems to be the one you get along best with.

Not everyone gets a chance to reinvent herself in the middle of her life. I think you might like the person you find yourself to be.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-22 11:23 AM Edited 2018-01-22 11:34 AM
Big Sis *is* the most reasonable and the one I get along with best; however, she voted for Trump, and can't figure out why the rest of us have issues with that. She also went straight to victim-blaming me when I brought up how our brother tried to molest me. I should have just fended him off, according to her, because apparently he tried the same shit with her (!!!) and that's how she handled it. When I mentioned that he definitely managed to concuss me not just once, but probably three times between ages 7 and 11, she kind of shrugged it off. He was 3.5 years older than Twinzilla and me, and bigger and a LOT stronger. Big sis was more equal to him physically.

She is NOT willing to back up my story to Mom, Twinzilla or TriSis, either; each of THEM has accused me of just making up stories to smear our dead brother's good name...:roll::mutmad:...but they might re-evaluate that stance if Big Sis corroborated my experiences with her own, which she won't. So Big Sis is not on my happy friends list anymore. :meh::mutmad:

And you are right. I am pretty lucky to have this chance. REALLY happy not to be stuck where I was previously. Being able to step outside the old situation, breathe, and take stock of what needs fixing is a real blessing, even if it is also really difficult at times.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-01-22 2:21 PM
:sad::hug::hug:  It's so hard to leave everything you know, in so many ways.  The physical stuff alone has me feeling lost and like I am not myself; all the rest of it, though!  It will be worth it in the end, when your life is truly your own making.  Hang in there.  I'm not far if you want to hang out.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-21 4:50 PM
Bathroom remodel is basically done. Contractor coming on monday to seal the floor and get paid.  It loos SO much better!!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-21 7:59 PM
I saw your pics.  It looks great!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-21 11:19 PM
Thank you. I'm really pleased with it. After the floors are sealed tomorrow morning it will be fun to USE!!

And we have to pick a shower curtian, etc, to go with the room. The towels we have been using we love, and they are BRIGHT orange.  Won't match the lavender walls at all!
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-22 10:46 AM
Oh, new towels!  I got bamboo towels from cariloha and I love them.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-22 2:05 PM
what do you love about bamboo towels? I never thought much about what towels are made of. Only where they are made.  And even the "american classic" line at Macy's is made in Packistan!!

BB&B has some made in the US, we may go that way.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-22 2:23 PM
They are so, so soft!!  I have a Tshirt from there and I love it, so I got sheets and they are the softest sheets I've ever owned.  So then I got the towels and they are so soft, that at first I was thinking I wasn't getting as abrasive of a towel off! :laugh:  I wouldn't have thought that that would be true.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-22 2:39 PM
I like soft. I should check them out. Thanks for the recommendation.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-01-22 3:03 PM
Another pro-bamboo thing is that bamboo is sometimes (but not necessarily) more ecologically friendly, in terms of its production, than cotton is.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-01-22 3:47 AM
I looks so much better, love it! We've been working on our kitchen for most of the weekend. Still not able to cook though. :cry: But it will be so much better when it's done, new cooking appliances and all. Bought a new fridge too. :cool: The plastic pieces in the older one are falling apart from old age, so I guess it's time.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-01-22 8:23 AM
yeah!
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-21 7:14 AM
I ran 5 yesterday the walked the parade up throwing beads for 4 miles and back home 4 miles. Technically I did a full half marathon. Tessa do you think I'm trained up now for March 4? : pbbt:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-25 10:33 AM
Yes!

Will you be throwing beads then too, or will you be throwing old LPs like Frisbees?
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-21 4:51 PM
Synchro this morning. We've gone to 2 hour practices (from 90 min) as we ramp up for competition season!!  I'm learning new moves and it is fun. Spent some time working on vertical body position (that's upside down). It can be really hard to know where you are in space when upside down and floating.

This also was my first synchro workout in about a month, so it was hard and good to get back into it.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-21 5:06 PM
Synchronized swimming sounds super challenging, actually. Like ballet. You put in tons of work to make it LOOK easy.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-21 11:13 PM
basically ducks. Stable above and paddling like hell down below!!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-21 6:56 PM
:mutmad: womens clothing sizes :mutmad:

Seriously, I read your size chart, I measured my waist & hips, and ordered the pants you suggest.  They are at LEAST two sizes too big - the waist has to be 4" bigger than it's supposed to be. Pants sitting at my "natural waist" according to the description are sitting halfway down my rear.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-21 8:01 PM
:mutmad::mutmad:

I don't understand why we can't have waist and inseam measurements like men have.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-22 11:36 AM
T-bone tells me there are some weirdnesses with men's sizes, too, though. Like, men's waist sizes are actually a few inches bigger than the size listed. So, like a men's 28" waist is actually more like 32" circumference. But AT LEAST THAT IS MORE PREDICTABLE THAN WOMEN'S SIZING.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-21 8:47 PM
Agree. :meh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-21 10:48 PM
How annoying! Especially since you measured and followed directions.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-22 10:50 AM
:mutmad::mutmad:  And then people will review that they are true to size as it is the size they usually order from that company.  True to size should mean true to the size on the size chart!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-22 2:14 PM
:laugh::mutmad:
I was on the Chicos website...https://www.chicos.com/web_assets/sizechart/size_chart.html 

>> Our unique sizing chart runs from 000-4. Because size is just a number--the simpler, the better (and the more consistent, so you always know your size at Chico's). From conventional sizes 0 to 20, you'll easily find your size on the chart below.

Really? Inventing a new, completely non-standard sizing scheme is SIMPLER and BETTER? :cry:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-01-22 3:20 PM
OMG, that is beyond asinine.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-01-22 3:40 PM
:mutmad:  And the size I used to be (I'm not even going to measure now), doesn't even make the chart!  But if I go in and try on 000s, they won't fit.  What the hell is 000?!  And as a person who has hips and bust the same measurements, I fail to see how off the sizes can be.  3 sizes larger for tops?!!  :mutmad:   Because I can feel more Barbie-doll shaped?
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-23 7:42 AM
way back in my 20's, I first encountered a size 0 in a store, and was floored - that's not a measurement.

From an EE point of view... 000 should be larger - because standard gauge gets bigger as the number gets smaller, and 0-00-000 become enormous : pbbt:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-01-23 8:25 AM Edited 2018-01-23 8:28 AM
I first encountered a 0 in a coat shortly after I got married; it was the roomiest coat I had tried on, and so I got it.  So when DH and I went dress shopping last month, he said I used to be a 0.  Ah, at that time all my pants were size 5 and I was wearing size 8 shirts.  I didn't consider 0 my size ever.
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-22 3:42 PM
I once went to Lane Bryant because I had a pair of size 16 jeans from there that I loved, I went in to buy another pair, and they'd redone the sizing. Suddenly I was a size 0!! Really, they weren't fooling anyone. :meh:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-23 7:44 AM
How long before vapid women think a size 0 is too large & they need to be 000 to feel good about themselves?
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2018-01-23 8:25 AM Edited 2018-01-23 8:28 AM
They already do :meh:

And not just vapid women. Many women. Take a look inside any ED program. Those women aren't vapid. They are insecure. :cry:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-01-23 8:29 AM
:cry::cry:  Seriously, what size you wear has nothing to do with what size you are!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-23 3:56 PM
:cry:

It's a way to identify the clothing that fits you, not a measure of your worth as a human!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-23 4:03 PM
And often not even a way to identify clothing that fits, as is illustrated by the problems with consistent sizing across brands, inside a single brand, etc. as we've all likely experienced.

Thinking of this, I'm reminded of my mum, who grew up having all clothing made by a tailor (the norm in that time and place). The tailor simply measured the family for clothes, school uniforms, etc. twice a year, the cobbler measured them for shoes, and cut the fabric/shoe material accordingly. There was simply no concept of a clothing size. Given the many proportions of a human being, a 'size' seems to be only an estimate of a few measurements - it seems not uncommon to be a "size X" in the waist area and a "size Y" in the arms and a "size Z" in the hips. One is then forced to find the closest match, and that is often far off. It is far from practical or common now to have the kind of tailoring my mum had, but I think the concept of not being a single 'size' is still valid - people have measurements, and clothes are made to fit them. The human is not made to fit the measurements of the brand's clothes.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2018-01-22 11:25 AM
I hate women's sizing! In tops I can wear anything from an XS to a L, depending on the style and brand. :mutmad: I will say it's a lot harder with women's pants, though. Two women with the same waist and inseam can have drastically different shapes. You'd think adding the hip measurement in would help, but it doesn't seem to. I like the brands that tell you if it's boy cut, curvy cut, etc. Still, even two pairs of pants the same size, style, & brand can fit very differently. :meh:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-01-22 12:12 PM
Still, even two pairs of pants the same size, style, & brand can fit very differently.

This is my favorite part of sizing.  Really, why can't you consistently make the same brand/same style/same size actually be the SAME?
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-01-22 12:31 PM
:mutmad::mutmad:  Exactly!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-22 2:10 PM
The answer to this is the manufacturing process - when fabric is die-cut, they stack many layers of fabric, put the die in place, and add pressure.  The die may be cutting through 1/2" or more of fabric stack, and some of the fabric will have excess material as it 'gives' in the stack, unlike die-cutting layers of rigid materials.

So, if they cheap out & try to cut 15 garments at once, you have 15 layers of fabric, and the give on the top layers is different than that on the bottom.  One would hope the fancier brands don't have this problem, but they do, too.

From a seamstress P.O.V., I know my measurements for garments. Most pattern manufacturers hold true measurements & I know my size.  Some fashion lines are now publishing vanity sizes, but it's not as though someone making her own clothing will care if the envelope reads "4" or "10" because they know what the tape measure said better than anyone else.  I wish I had the time & skills to make my own dress slacks.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-22 8:44 PM
Interesting.  This would definitely explain why Old Navy (at least like 15 years ago -- I haven't been in one of their stores in ages) had such awful quality-control on their sizing.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-01-23 7:43 AM
Old Navy, and other "discount" brands might cut even more fabric at once - and "discount" often means cheaper labor, and fewer quality checks.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Weekend NRR/RR