Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Any advice on front of ankle twinge?
- - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-18 9:30 AM
Any thoughts on twinges in the front of the ankle area? Bottom of the shin, where the foot meets the leg, worse when flex foot or walk for a while. No problem with regular movement about the house, do feel it on a longer TM walk. Goes away if resting, not constant. Doesn't get triggered by walking up/down stairs. Noticed it the past couple of days. Have shoes with less than 100 miles on them, so don't think it is that.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-18 9:42 AM
No advice, but a comment that I have had a similar twinge in the past. Seems to be mostly from pressure on the forefoot. Simple first-line "have you checked to see if the computer is plugged in?" type of question is "have you tried loosening your shoe laces?" Having a shoe that is too tight across the forefoot can cause some twinges.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-18 9:48 AM
Thanking - will try the looser laces. These are different shoes than what I've been wearing the past few months (rotating), so that might well be it.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-18 9:48 AM
Agree with Zipper, how tight are laces? I had an issues when my laces pushed. Also look at anterior tibial tendon, could be this get irritated.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-18 10:12 AM
A good thought, it does seem to be the right place. I do sometimes hear the 'slap' sound with my footstrike on that side, esp. when it is twinging more. I'll try heel walks and toe raises (which can't hurt in any event...) Anything you can think of to do for it in case it is anterior tibial tendon? Do you know if resting matters?
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-18 10:42 AM
So it seems worse when I rise on my toes or point my foot....
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-18 3:33 PM
It is often aggravated by a tight calf, stretch calf and rest if it hurts during activities.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-18 11:03 AM
I sometimes get that when running, particularly in hilly areas. I have found that one thing that helps for me is to stretch the foot in a pointed position -- put weight on one leg, extend the other straight leg slightly behind you, place tops of toes on floor so your foot looks as if you were on pointe (little to no weight on it though) and push down gently so you are stretching the part where the top of foot meets the bottom front shin. Does that make sense?
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-18 11:27 AM
Yes, makes sense, I'll try it. It definitely pulls there when I just tried it now but not in a bad way, more like a 'this hurts a bit but in a good sense'... did you feel that?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-18 1:23 PM
Yes. Usually that happens during races or long runs and I've found a minute or two of stretching can go a long way towards alleviating discomfort to make me able to go a long way!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-18 4:54 PM
Is it possibly related to shoes you're wearing when you aren't working out?  I've had that trouble from time to time due to work boots.  Is it possible you're wearing winter boots that bother your ankles?  [That may not be it, but just throwing it out as a possibility.]
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-19 11:52 AM
Hummm.... I've been homebound and don't wear shoes at all, just socks... I think whatever it is comes from the running shoes, since I've rotated into this pair things are twinging all over. (After loosening the laces and stretching it out yesterday, today's TM walk was pain free in the ankle-ish area but painful on the inner arch area. Sigh)  I'm going to try another one in the rotation tomorrow and see what happens.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-01-19 11:55 AM
Update: I stretched the ankle as Tessa suggested yesterday and loosened the laces as as Zipper and gophergirl suggested this morning.... no front-of-ankle pain on today's TM walk. Cautiously optimistic, although with the disaster that is so often my world today's walk had a painful/sore inner arch, right where the inside of the shoe arch starts to move to the upper. I think the shoe might be pushing there oddly? I'm going to try an entirely different pair of shoes tomorrow (with the continued looser laces!) and see what that does. Nothing was there until I rotated in this pair of shoes, so it seems plausible that the problem is in the shoes rather than my body falling apart all of a sudden...
Up Topic Communities / Women / Any advice on front of ankle twinge?