Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / The third Thursday (Dailies)
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-18 6:58 AM
It really is.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:13 AM
I went to group run last night. There is still so much snow cover, cold and slick spots that we only ran 2 miles. I felt restless after the run but enjoyed the socializing afterward. I frequently get something small to go and add my own healthy sides when I get home.  I love the socializing aspect but for me, eating and drinking a lot on a week night seems like an easy way to gain weight. Most of the people encouraging me to eat, run a lot more miles that I do so I try to keep that in mind. I don't count macros, eat clean or restrict myself in any other way, but try to practice self control when it comes to eating too many calories. Saturdays are another story.  :wink:  Very old school, but I've managed to keep the weight off for my most of my adult life.

Today is normally my SDO, but I might just run on the TM if the opportunity presents itself.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:39 AM
The social side of running is great but I agree eating and drinking a lot on weeknights can be bad news. I got into that habit for awhile and am now working to not drink on weeknights and eat healthy.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-18 8:14 AM
Great work on the 2 miler. When there is still some snow/ice, it can throw us off balance. We end up being more at risk for injury when the legs/feet are trying to compensate.
Because we gain weight even with exercise in the upper years, I started eating a very low fat diet and measuring my portions. I still eat some ice cream or cake, but measure carefully and add some hot tea to help me feel full quicker.
Good for you for keeping the weight off! :happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-18 10:59 AM
Avoiding drinking on weeknights is a good strategy. It's so easy to fall into the habit of having a glass or two of wine or a couple of beers and those are a lot of cumulative calories.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:23 AM
After months (okay probably a year plus) of lacking in morning workouts and hitting snooze too many times I am starting at this again. My goal is 3 times a week morning runs/workouts and so far I've been lucky to get in 1. I start a new work schedule after vacation and morning workouts will be my only option some days.
5 mile run yesterday morning and 6 mile run this morning. :happy: Best part finally warm enough to get outside to run today, 24 degrees! First above 0 morning in a week. 40 degree high tomorrow, shorts weather.:cool: Also got in P90X arms yesterday.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:43 AM
Morning weekdays are hard during the winter. I try for 1-2 early mornings during the week as well as Saturday and Sunday. Still it feels good to have it out of the way. Good luck on changing your habits.:cool:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-18 8:16 AM
Great work on the 5 and 6 milers! It's so darned hard to get out of bed when it's cold and dark. Good job on the arms and starting the plan! :happy:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-18 7:51 AM
I ran 5.4 this morning.  It's still somewhat snowy here.  The roads are mostly clear, but there are lots of spots, especially on shaded side roads, that are snowy and/or icy.  School is out again today, so not nearly so many people on the road as normal.  It was cool, but not bad weather for running.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-18 8:00 AM
Glad you were still able to run.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-18 8:07 AM
Great work on the 5.4 miler! The little icy spots can be dangerous. Glad there was not usual traffic. :happy:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-18 8:25 AM
Glad you were able to run. It is so interesting to see how different areas respond to the snow/cold. -30 wind chill last week and everything on as normal here.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-01-18 3:24 PM
Granted, when the windchill is -30 you probably don't have much melting and refreezing. :laugh:  We tend to have trouble with ice because the ground was warm and this system started as rain then some of it melted yesterday and refroze overnight.  Most roads aren't treated or plowed, so the county doesn't have a safe way to get kids to school.  Besides, as spccer6 has pointed out, there are kids here who would be standing out waiting for the bus who can't afford winter coats.  It's also easier to be overly cautious when you are unlikely to lose more than a day or two per year to snow.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-19 1:26 PM
Also people who live in areas where the windchill is -30 know how to drive in those conditions, people who only see that kind of day 1-2x a year aren't likely to be as skilled.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-19 2:19 PM
So true! Although plenty on Minnesotans who seem to forget how to drive every winter.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2018-01-19 3:56 PM
To be fair, though, *nobody* can drive on ice. We don't tend to get a lot of ice on the roads in MN (although it does occasionally happen) because the roads are pre-treated before precipitation and salted & sanded after, and it's just plain cold enough that our winter precipitation is typically in the form of snow, not freezing rain/ice.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-19 4:40 PM
True also -- Minnesota has the equipment to treat the roads proactively and respond quickly, whereas Atlanta doesn't have that capacity.

And Los Angeles drivers can't even drive when it rains. I shudder to think what would happen if the city ever had a freak ice storm. Fortunately since we are on the Pacific coast it is unlikely ever to happen.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-18 11:00 AM
Nice to have reasonable weather and not many people on the road!
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-18 8:18 AM
Wednesday was a good 45 minutes running on the gym track. It was a better time of day since the old men were sparse. There were 4 of us running and all of us were doing longer runs. It's so nice being on the track with experienced runners.
Today DC and I are going to the gym.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-18 8:26 AM
Nice job on the run. Have a good workout today
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-18 8:41 AM
Our track gets pretty full this time of year. Glad everyone stayed in their places.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-18 10:45 AM
USDO- I slept through two alarms.  Oh well, I guess I needed the rest.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-18 1:24 PM
Your body is telling you to rest up. Go for it!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-18 4:35 PM
Yep. You needed the sleep...
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-01-18 8:47 PM
Your body was telling you to sleep
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-19 4:49 AM
I've done that before. it always means I'm totally exhausted whether I admit it or not.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-01-18 12:16 PM
First time I've skipped a workout for non-physical reasons.  The roads in my neighborhood are still pretty icy.  And I hate winter and wasn't up for dealing with the cold and ice.  So I slept in.  After this meeting, I plan to do some planks, some crunches, and some other things to at least get moving.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-18 1:23 PM
I think safety is an important consideration!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-01-18 3:19 PM
The gym was probably closed anyway. :wink:  But seriously, no reason to risk going out in the ice.  We don't get enough winter for you to use that as an excuse for skipping workouts very often. : pbbt:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-18 3:36 PM
It's a good idea not to take risks on ice/cold. The older we get, the more likely for a broken bone to happen.
Good for you on the planks. It's neat to be able to "plug in" these separate exercises whenever we get the time.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-01-18 3:44 PM
I did 4 sets of 30 second planks with 20 second rest in between, and then 4 sets of 25 crunches with 30 second rest in between.  Will do a super small walking/stair circuit in my house in a few minutes to get the blood flowing.  I refuse to go outside.  I don't know how y'all northerners handle this all winter.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-19 4:50 AM
The weather has made workouts challenging this year.  I'm sure you will get back to it.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-18 2:00 PM
Did a 3.25 mile run yesterday in the park with Niall, and a short HIIT workout. Felt sore in a lot of places today, but yoga class was great and worked out the achy parts.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-18 3:37 PM
Great workout on the 3.25 miler. Isn't it great how yoga stretches can help the sore spots and give other benefits as well.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-01-18 4:40 PM
Thanks! And yes, I am finding the yoga class does good things for the slightly crunchy spots in my spine, too. My energy has definitely improved.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-19 4:50 AM
Good variety.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-18 10:58 AM
2.2 miles this morning, up a little later than usual but at least I did get out there. Probably won't get a run in tomorrow morning since I am taking Sis to the airport and we have to leave at 4:15. Run was uneventful. Not many cars out, saw one other runner and she was huffing up a hill in a residential neighborhood with her music playing -- no headphones. I'm guessing some of the people whose houses she passed weren't all that thrilled.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-18 3:34 PM
Great work on the 2.2 miles! You can't run tomorrow morning, since you would have to get up to go run even before you went to bed. :laugh: :wink:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-19 4:52 AM
Who doesn't want music at 4:15?
Up Topic Communities / Women / The third Thursday (Dailies)