Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thursday Will the cold ever end?
- - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-18 6:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not going to ever stop

let's hear how cold it is in your area!

Share a recipe day!
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-18 6:28 AM
It's so cold that...

feel like 6 right now. it's in the postives so that is my half full for the day! going up to 17

running and a video.

Easy meatless meal;

one can of refried beans.
one cup of rice
one cup of salsa
mix all together in one pot
put on burrito shells and top with whatever you want.
a kid pleaser.
How I make it better. I only use  organic stuff. I add tumeric to the rice (makes it yellow)
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:39 AM
https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/rice-pilaf   Scroll way down on the page to see spice combos for rice.  I use turmeric often.  I like cinnamon and coriander with it.  For Tex Mex dishes I use chili powder, cumin, and onion powder.    The trick is to put the spices in the oil, saute the rice, then add the liquid.  Endless combinations.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-18 11:07 AM
yum I'll be trying that bad boy
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:08 AM
-3 windchill and 10F.  Supposed to reach 30F today.  I'll run later when it gets less cold.

No school again today. Teachers work from home. 

Recipe:
One bowl, one spoon
Pour favorite cereal into the bowl
(Optional):  sliced banana in cereal
Pour milk
Note:  I've heard that some pour milk first then cereal, but I've never tried it that way
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:50 AM
milk first?  NO NO NO.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-18 8:57 AM
Heresy, I know.  However, I have finished the cereal with a significant amount of milk in the bowl and poured a little more cereal into the leftover milk.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-18 9:28 AM
Well yes, that's a given.  Can't waste the milk.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-18 11:08 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I hate cereal
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:43 AM
-1° on my front porch this morning.

I went to the gym and ran 4 on the treadmill. I did 6x440 at a quicker pace, but not that quick. Like 9:30 pace. :roll:  (The rest ones were 10:30.)

Yesterday I wasn't feeling all that great. Everything that is wrong with me seemed to flare up. The ringing in my ears was worse, my neck tingling was more persistent, work was more blah than normal...  Rather than work too hard I updated the software I use to do programming.  A new release came out a month or 2 ago. It took me a few hours to wrestle that into place. More work than should be needed but it has some slick new features. Too bad I am getting so old.  Younger developers are getting some great tools to work with. They just keep getting better. I started out with a basic text editor.

I sent my doctor an email about my ears. I have never done anything about the ringing because I don't usually notice it, and all research I have done says there is no solution, so why bother? But he said he'd refer me to an ENT.  We'll see what happens.

Recipe: Unwrap Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and place in mouth.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:50 AM
love your recipe!

Amy is on her 3rd ear infection in 3 months.  Got a referral to an ENT - 6 weeks out.  Shortage of ENT's in our area.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-18 11:09 AM
My dad has that too. I thought there was something new on the market.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:48 AM
15 above, feels like 9.   Yay, we are in the positives!!!!!  Though I'm still favoring long underwear and a packable puffy jacket for inside wear.

I will run today.  There, I said it, now I have to do it. :grin:  After lunch tho so the roads can thaw/dry a bit.   Today show just said there is snow in all 50 states:shocker!:

Easy steak when it is too cold to grill outside:

Sear a piece of sirloin in a cast iron skillet.  4 minutes each side.
Put it on your cutting board and slice it against the grain about 1/4" thick.
Put the slices in a shallow dish and cover with a sauce made of equal parts Worcestershire, soy, and Dijon mustard.

on hoagies with a slice of white cheese, on top of a salad with sliced tomatoes, or right out of the shallow dish because it never made it over to the table.:wink:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:54 AM
Or on a nice warm tortilla!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-18 9:00 AM
I'm thinking that you could put together your own cookbook.:happy:  Your steak hoagie sounds just right.

How in the world are you all warmer than us this morning??: pbbt:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-18 9:29 AM
Good clean living Mike!:laugh:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-18 7:58 AM
Our propane tank was filled last night!  Yea!

I have an easy tomato soup recipe.  http://www.inspiredtaste.net/27956/easy-tomato-soup-recipe/

YOU WILL NEED

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 large onion, cut into large wedges

1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, we prefer to use whole peeled or crushed

1 1/2 cups water or low-sodium chicken stock

1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add onion wedges, water, can of tomatoes with their juices, and the salt. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally and add additional salt as needed.

Blend the soup — it doesn’t need to be ultra-smooth, some texture is a nice touch. An immersion blender makes quick work of this or use a blender. If you use a regular blender, it is best to blend in batches and not fill the blender as much as you usually would since the soup is so hot. We like to remove the center insert of the lid and cover it with a kitchen towel while blending — this helps some of the steam release and prevents the lid from popping off (which can be a big, hot mess).

Currently the temp is 32 degrees but should go up to 42.  I am hoping the sun comes out for a while.

Yesterday I found out that one of the co-founders of the Peloton bike is the son of one our former neighbors.  Small world.

Stay warm!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-18 9:03 AM
I love tomatoe soup.  I may give this recipe a try.  I've been eating Campbells out of a can since I was 5.  Except for the occasional tomatoe soup at Panera Bread.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-18 9:31 AM
I must confess that I never considered tomato soup that wasn't Campbells.  Then Lisa went off to college and her roommate made it from scratch all the time.  Lisa will always refer to that roommate as her 'trophy wife'.:laugh:  Kind of puts Campbells to shame.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-18 10:16 AM
We always have at least two cans of tomato in the pantry.  It is the easiest soup to make and so delicious.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-18 12:50 PM
this is awesome. tomato soup is strangely expensive.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-18 11:48 AM
I just returned from a sunny 6 mile run.  Roads are improving, but still a lot of ice and snow on certain road areas. 

I got an email for all bus drivers to start the busses today and make sure we can get the bus out of its parking space in case there's school tomorrow.  They must be thinking tomorrow might be a regular school day.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-18 12:50 PM
yeah for sun and school
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-18 12:51 PM
ran 6 miles. they were hard, as was yesterdays run. I'm blaming the massage.

30 mintes p90xpilates. interesting. I haven't done pilates for a long time
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-18 12:59 PM
p90xpilates - sounds like beast mode pilates.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-18 1:16 PM
maybe, it was hard, but I haven't done any in a long time
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-18 2:29 PM
I am not even doing my video today.  Did my 50 second plank and 2 push ups.  I am tired of this cold.  Just makes me lazy.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2018-01-18 5:18 PM
Today was in the 30s with bright sunshine but the other side of the marina where we dock is frozen. The marina has a couple of bubblers that keep the water churning so our side is ice free. We went shopping and picked up our mail and did laundry but I did manage to get out for a run/hike this afternoon.

Recipe: I already baked another Marilyn Rum Cake for dessert tonight. That tomato soup recipe sounds yummy.

When I make potato salad in addition to mayo, salt, pepper I add chopped fresh dill, diced celery, and chopped jalapeño. Danny eats it by the pound :laugh: He’s asked me to make that with pulled pork for SB Sunday.

:happy:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-18 5:27 PM
Welcome Home Dottie and Danny!

I baked the rum cake last night.  It is yummy.  I froze half of it for later.  You will like the tomato soup recipe.  It is perfect for a quick lunch and you can always make a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it.

Your potato salad additions sound good.  I don't make good potato salad; it always comes out like mashed potatoes.

I am a real wimp if you who lives in Maine went out for a run/hike.  The sun did not come out today.  I don't like that at all.
- - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-01-18 7:43 PM Edited 2018-01-18 7:59 PM
Greetings from BEAUTIFUL Fairbanks, Alaska! :hug:
Just to be the only one in this forum who LOVES winter, I shall post my snow pack and delightfully cold temps. :laugh:
Because, I *surely* am not running/exercising at this point in time. : pbbt: Soon though. Maybe. :roll:

We've gotten 10-12 inches of snow over the last two days with some freezing rain in the middle of that snow pack. Today, it snowed all afternoon, it was beautiful for the few hours of daylight we have. :wink:

In a couple of days, we are forecasted to have a week of -25 to -35. I am seriously excited for this and I can.not.wait! I also realize this is the perspective of someone who does not currently run, outside or TM, isn't working, and has no place to be as long as Squirrel has cat food and I have wine. :laugh: Soon however, I will have to get a job, start walk/running and lifting weights. For now? I'm just hibernating and loving every darn second. :blush:

Recipe of the day:

NO BAKE COOKIES
YIELD: about 30 cookies PREP TIME: 10 minutes
INGREDIENTS:
3/4 granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk (almond milk works great)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (I used 1/4c, worked fine)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy) (I used PB2 and it was wonderful!)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups quick cooking oats

DIRECTIONS:
Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, milk, butter and cocoa. Stir until the butter is melted.
Bring the mixture to a full boil and allow it boil for 90 seconds (I highly recommend setting a timer). Immediately remove the pan from heat.
Add in the peanut butter and vanilla and stir until the peanut butter is melted.
Add oats and stir to fully incorporate.
Using a medium cookie scoop (about 1 1/2 tablespoons), drop cookies onto prepared baking sheets. If desired, use a spoon, or the bottom of a glass to slightly flatten and shape into round cookies.

Allow cookies to set before serving.
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2018-01-18 8:55 PM
Well, 25 degrees here in The Villages FL. This morning. Our 8:14 tee time was cancelled due to hard frost. I know, poor me, you folks are freezing your buns off and I'm moaning about tee times. Any who, went to the gym for an hour to trash the muscles ( whats left of them these days ) then to Church for Thursday volunteer work.
Stay warm friends.
Run safe
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-19 7:37 AM
I love no bake cookies!  I would eat them with a fox, I would eat them in a box.  I would eat them in -25 degree windchill. 

Having a warm place with no where you have to be is my idea of enjoying winter.  Glad you're doing well.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thursday Will the cold ever end?