Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Well wishing Wednesday (Dailies)
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-17 7:11 AM
Let's hope for the best.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-17 7:12 AM
I did manage to make it to the TM right before dinner. I was going to do it over lunch, but a nap won out. I was having trouble staying awake at work so I laid down for about 45 minutes (I'm a remote worker) and then got up had a quick lunch and some coffee.  I saved the run for after work and it was much easier than it would have been if I'd tried to tough it out. 3.5 done.

Today I am planning to go to a group run tonight since it is supposed to get up above 20 degrees.:grin:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-17 8:15 AM
Great job on the workouts. You really needed the nap. It was good that you listened to your body. :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-17 10:31 AM
2 in the afternoon is my " down" time.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-17 11:25 AM
Good for you for the planning. Sometimes the nap is more needed.

Hope the group run works out!
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-18 6:13 AM
sometimes you need sleep more than a run
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-17 8:17 AM
QOTD: Stair work here. I have a routine that I follow in the building: I walk fast in the hall for 180 some steps, then go right up a flight of stairs: repeat the walk and climb until I get to the top of the building. Then I repeat the entire sequence from the basement. It’s harder (and really different) than running my Evil Hill (and not so much fun). Does this workout sound reasonable to you? I did it with one repeat yesterday, then ran 10 minutes. Next time I will run before the stairs.
Today I may go to the gym with DC. Or the TM downstairs.
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-17 11:24 AM
Sounds like a good way to mix climbing and speedwalking. So you go up one flight, traverse the length of the hallway, go up the next flight, down that hallway, repeat?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-17 11:57 AM
Yes. We have really long hallways so it works very well. I can also do the whole stairwell at one time, but I like to do the fast walk in between. My hip flexors feel it today. :laugh:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-17 11:55 AM
How do you feel after you get done? Is it challenging physically and do feel it in your muscles? If so, it's worth doing.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-17 12:01 PM
I hadn't done it in a long time. My legs really felt the effort when I did a short run on the TM afterward. I used to do the whole thing 3X and I want to work back up to that. The hip flexors had to raise the legs higher vertically than on the Evil Hill, I think. It's a great indoor run without leaving home in bad weather.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-17 4:08 PM
Sometimes the muscle memory needs a little refresher before it can pick up where it left off.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-18 6:13 AM
I do stairs a lot and i really feel it in my calves if the stairs are short or my hip flexors if the stairs are further apart. If i do them once a week it goes away after about 3 or 4 times but I have to do them at least once a week. I feel like they are great for cardio/strength all at once and the only hill work  I"m getting around here.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-01-17 10:39 AM
Did a great yoga class last night and swam this morning.  The remodel in the bathroom  has shifted my routine so it is hard to fit in workouts.

Pool was a bit of a cluster **** this morning. At one point there were 9 people in the pool and no one was really swimming or aqua jogging with any sort of order.  I saw one guy basically swim over another swimmer, then he shifted to my lane (which I was sharing with 2 aqua joggers who I see every day and are happy to share) and tried to swim around us.  He, wrongly, assumed he would be faster than me, so I almost swam over him.  Luckily, he shifted to the other half of the lane.  I think I need to talk to gym management about putting up signs for order in the pool.  Or just wait a month when all the resolutioners leave.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-17 11:24 AM
9 people in a 3 lane pool? That's a lot. Especially when some twerp thinks he must be faster than the woman swimming because, you know, he's a man and therefore faster. (If he's using his penis as an extra means of propulsion and achieving faster speeds as a result then that's remarkable, but I don't think that's the case for most swimmers.)

January is half over and the resolutioners should be dropping off or learning etiquette soon.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-01-17 12:13 PM
Great work on the yoga and swim! Maybe the gym would post some guidelines. That would help the newbie situation because they would have a guide for what to do.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-18 6:53 AM
You really do need to have some type of order so everyone can get their workout done. I would probably ask.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-01-17 10:45 AM
30 awesome minutes of yoga. I’m seriously feeling so good about this yoga challenge. In home, free, relaxing, centering, and increasing my strength and flexibility. Who could ask for more? Just one mile today on the tm - slippery roads and I’m a bit tired from 3 days in a row of 4/5 miles. :out of shape: but getting there!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-17 11:20 AM
Nice on the yoga! And on the 1 mile. Good call to stay off the slippery roads.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-17 12:10 PM
Great work on the running and the yoga. I like yoga at home for the privacy. There is always some guy watching at our gym, even the ones in class sometimes. :mutmad:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-18 6:10 AM
Don't let some asshole keep you from doing a class for pete's sake. You are turning your power over to him. Who cares? Just do what you want. And honestly I may "stare" sometimes at folks in my class....I'm either a) freaking admiring that level of flexibility or b) really trying to do the pose right and looking for clues. Wonder what people think of me?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-18 11:10 AM
When Sis was taking a Zumba class and there were some letches looking in at the class members through the window, the guys in the class all migrated to the back row so the DOM trying to watch the ladies were treated to the sight of the big beefy hairy guy and the skinny old guys Zumba'ing in the back row, shaking some righteous booty. Maybe you could get the guys in your class to do that?
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-19 4:59 AM
DD refused to do Zumba in the big gym (as opposed to classes held in the smaller workout studio) because people could walk by and watch. She didn't want any guys from school making fun of her.  I personally was like "Who cares?", but I do think it's hard to get into a workout when you are self-conscious. I'm sure for out of shape people and those trying something new, it is uncomfortable to have people checking you out when you are trying to do your thing. : pbbt: If people do not have the guts to do the workout whether it's yoga or Zumba, they should be barred from the premises. :mutmad:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-01-19 9:09 AM
I'm with your daughter.  I'm self-conscious, I hate doing group classes - period.

I did a Hip Hop class once at the Y.  It was WAY out of my comfort zone, but I was sweating and having fun.  UNTIL we got to the end and the instructor broke us into two groups and expected us to perform the dance we "learned" in front of the other group.  I'm terrible at dance, I could remember the steps of the last 2 - 8 counts we did but everything else?  Nope.  Never again.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-19 10:05 AM
:shocker!:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-19 1:28 PM
Not cool of the instructor to do that. Unless it was a performance class where you were working towards a presentation. If it is a workout class, time spent watching the other group perform is time that could have been spent working out.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-17 10:00 PM
The ice and snow is taking a toll on my running too. There is something more relaxing about yoga at home.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-18 6:09 AM
Are you using My Yoga Works? I did subscribe when it was dirt cheap, I can't say I love it (actually there are some good free You Tube videos) but it does the job. I really prefer my studio, their is a specific energy about everyone practicing together, can't say what that intangible is, and the value of a GOOD teacher who can adjust you slightly is really key. If you can find a studio and go there every so often (most sell class pass cards) it really helps with the home stuff IMHO
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-01-18 6:07 AM
It was cold enough I needed to wear my tights for my Wednesday night run. I was doing yoga but it is actually easier to just run Wed while Gavin is a choir rather than drop off, drive to studio, be looking at watch the whole time (yoga is supposed to be relaxing right) and drive back.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-18 6:51 AM
We need Express Yoga!:laugh:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-17 11:20 AM
Yes, my students would agree that they're hoping for the best -- they take their accounting final tonight!

4 miles this morning, solo -- RN has a cold. I think it's new moon today, didn't see any sliver when I went out or during the run. Not a bad run except for the end, I really wish I had a key for the HOA bathroom along the route. I don't live anywhere near that subdivision so no chance of getting access.

Planning a lunch run also. I slipped on Dry Veganuary again yesterday though in my defense that was one fraught vestry meeting last night, voting on the church budget for 2018, back on the wagon again.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-01-17 12:07 PM
Great work on the early morning run. Our local park bathrooms are locked up for the winter, but out the county trail one is open year round.
You are absolved for the slip. Was the budget at least settled last night?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-01-17 4:40 PM
Yes, the budget has been voted and approved. Compromise budget, of course, these are Episcopalians (the masters of the middle way). One guy voted to gut the music program and also to reduce our contribution to the diocese, with an impassioned speech about how he thought we need to economize everywhere and try to get people to pledge more. Not sure where he thinks we can cut further, and I'd have more respect for his "people need to pledge more" if I didn't know that he doesn't pledge and puts nothing in the collection plate. He thinks his mom's pledge gets him off the hook. Another person voted for the most costly option, which I would love to be able to support but which is just too much of a gamble financially. Everyone else went for the middle option. Music including bell choirs at least through June and maintain our contribution to the diocese.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-01-17 4:09 PM
I wouldn't last long on Veganuary. I hope you reap results.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Well wishing Wednesday (Dailies)