Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday, 16 Nov 2018
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 7:20 AM
Brrr...it's cold out there!  25 degrees and with the wind chill it feels like 18.  Schools and colleges are out today. And some businesses are also closed.

So what are your favorite things to do when stuck inside?
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-16 7:35 AM
We were supposed to get a little more snow last night.  I woke up this morning to a winter wonderland.  Louisville reports an additional 6 inches.  I'm about 35 miles south of the city and it appears to be that much snow in my yard. 

Today is a work from home day although schools are closed.  Teachers have to grade papers, write lesson plans, view professional videos or read professional articles, and monitor emails in case students need help with their homework packets.  I don't think any kid will contact me about PE. 

It's at single digit temperature this morning.  I'll get a run in later. 

Favorite thing to do when stuck inside is read.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 7:47 AM
I like to watch the "Today" show and all we have on the NBC channel is the local newscast.  I looked outside and it doesn't look as bad as it was predicted.  Maybe I'll venture for a walk later today.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 9:55 AM
I think its great that your district does a work from home day.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-16 8:28 AM Edited 2018-01-16 8:32 AM
Is stuff closed just because it is cold or is there a chance for some snow or freezing rain?

We are supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow and of course everything is closed here. My friends back in Buffalo must get areal kick seeing people rush the stores and lock themselves in the house over an inch of snow. If they closed schools up where I grew up every time it snowed an inch I would have been off for months.

But it was fun. First measurable snow since a late snow in early Spring 2016. Probably only an inch on the ground so far. I went over to the park and ran 4 miles. I got to lay down fresh tracks just about anywhere I went. It is still snowing. It is beautiful when you're running with the wind, but when you are against the wind all the snowflakes take direct aim at your eyes and you can't look around.

I parked and started off at the back of the park. When I got to the "lake" at the front of the park there was one guy there fishing. He said, "It looks like we're the only 2 people crazy enough to be out."

QotD: Drink beer and read.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 8:45 AM
Closed because of ice, sleet, freezing rain or snow.  We just aren't prepared for that type of weather.  Even our garbage pickup is canceled for today.

I thought about going out later, but I don't know.  It is cold and windy. 

Your run does sound interesting.  I bet it was neat to see your footprints be the first ones in the snow!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 9:55 AM
Fresh tracks.  Ahh....
Parent - By DottieO Date 2018-01-16 5:12 PM
Last winter we had a lot of snow in Jan and Feb but the temps weren’t awful. This year the temps are brutal and we’ve had 3 feet of snow so far.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-01-16 9:27 AM
I had to wait until after 10AM to post.  Eagles playoff tickets went on sale.  I wasn't lucky enough to score.  But then "cheap seats" are $220 each.  Of course I could buy them for $350 apiece on NFL exchange.  Maybe some will fall out the sky in my backyard.

On my run yesterday late afternoon, my feet and ankles were bothering me, so I ran to the park...oh my.  I didn't think, the ground is frozen and lots of lumps and bumps.  It was interesting.    I found an empty amazon box with an address from several blocks away.  I'm thinking it was stolen.  I stopped at the house on the way back, but no answer.   I will put a note on it and drop it today. 

Monthly army- retirees lunch today. 

QOTD--I spend way too much time on the internet.  I also spend lots of time watching birds and animals in the back yard.  

Lots of code purple coordination this winter.  Snow and 26* tonight.  But no code purple.  I sure don't want to have to live out there.

Tom in DE
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 9:56 AM
I watch birds too Tom.  Yesterday there were a couple dozen crows in the back yard.  Thought I was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-01-16 11:51 AM
We watch birds too. We've been seeing quite a few we don't usually. In fact just last week a bald eagle flew about 20 ft over our heads when we were walking the dogs. Amanda and I were all :shocker!::shocker!::shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 12:44 PM
Jen, good to see you!
Parent - By DottieO Date 2018-01-16 5:09 PM
We also watch birds. We have a few feeders and get quite an assortment some days.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 9:54 AM
That is cold for you guys.  Stay safe and warm.

Amy ordered a computer and it didn't turn on when it arrived.  I shipped it back for her today - $52!:shocker!:  Ouch.  Seems a high price to pay for bad merchandise.

This morning was predicted to be -22* windchill.  We lucked out; it's only zero.  I took Misha for a short walk but I owe her the full tour of the park later.  Need to yoga later and afterward I'm going to cook up something called Yogi Tea.  I'm going to be so centered, harmonious, zen you guys won't be able to stand me.:laugh:  I also feel I may never run again.  This winter sure is starting out brutal.

QoTD - I read, I cook, I clean - all with a warm dog beside me.:hug:
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-16 3:49 PM
:hug:
Parent - By DottieO Date 2018-01-16 5:03 PM
The weather is killing my running. :sad:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 11:09 AM
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 11:12 AM
:sad:
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-16 12:50 PM
HI no run. massage. it was okay.

over the weekend Morgan and I volunteered at a local 50k. fun/hard. I was exhausted.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 12:57 PM
We have missed you!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 12:57 PM
and double-tiara'd and blessed by the pope.  A good weekend.
Parent - By DottieO Date 2018-01-16 5:02 PM
Sounds fun!
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 12:59 PM
So I finished my workout video, 50 second plank and 2 pushups. 

The weather person just said it feels like 9 degrees here in my hometown.  We did have snow showers and sleet for about a 3 minutes.

My husband is making a roast and the house smells so good.  I am going to take out my tortilla press and make some homemade corn tortillas.
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-16 3:48 PM
what time should I be there. and can I have the reciepe
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 4:05 PM
The tortillas are very easy especially if you use a tortilla press. 

The recipe is on the back of the Maseca flour bag.  https://www.amazon.com/Maseca-Instant-Yellow-Instantanea-Amarillo/dp/B0000IJYK4  You can also buy it at WalMart.  I cut the recipe in half -- one cup flour and about 6 oz chicken broth and a dash of salt.  After reading several reviews, I decided to use the chicken broth and salt. The first time I made them I followed the recipe exactly (cut in half though.)  Now if you don't have a "comal" to cook your tortillas, you can use a griddle.  I save the leftovers and warm them in a moist paper towel and try to eat them within 3 days.

The roast was cooked in the crock pot -- beef, potatoes, onions, carrots and celery.  My husband did sear the roast first.

If we lived closer, you could have joined us for late lunch/early dinner!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-16 1:32 PM
The custodians at my school measured 8 inches of snow this morning.  I got an email for bus drivers to let our busses run for a little while this morning.  I ran the 2.5 miles to my school, ran the bus, chatted with the custodians, then ran home.  No pavement for running, but no real problem running on the somewhat plowed roads.  -2 windchill, but sunny.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 2:49 PM
:shocker!:  That's a lot of snow!
Parent - By DottieO Date 2018-01-16 5:01 PM
I think my grands are off tomorrow but they have work to do from home so it’s not counted as an absence.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-01-16 2:34 PM
Hi. Been busy...too busy.
Ran 3.67 miles today. Snow tonight.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-16 3:48 PM
no snow. nice run. busy is good
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 4:06 PM
I can imagine with what, 8 kids still at home?  I can't remember the exact number of children you have.  But I do know that 3 are married!
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 4:19 PM
I watched "The Graduate" for the very first time!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 4:22 PM
Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 4:26 PM
:laugh:  and he always called her "Mrs. Robinson" even when they were in bed.  A very different time compared to today's world.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2018-01-16 4:38 PM
Hello from NYC! 18K+ steps so far. Today we went to the theater district,Times Square, Empire State Building then toured the Intrepid and Growler (submarine).  It was fun going into the original Macy’s department store and we snacked at a couple of cool pubs. We leave tomorrow heading into a big snowstorm. :roll:

:grin:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 4:38 PM
You have been a walking machine!
Parent - By DottieO Date 2018-01-16 4:57 PM
And our legs are soooooo sore!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 5:30 PM
Step goddess!  Sounds like you've had a wonderful trip.  I hope the storm leaves you a path home....or at least to your apartment.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-17 7:30 AM
:shocker!: enljoy the city
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 7:23 AM Edited 2018-01-16 7:44 AM
3 years ago today my brother received his liver transplant.  I am so thankful to our God, the donor and to the "best in the west" medical team at UCLA.  My brother is doing well.

I have no plans for today.  I will do my homework, workout video and probably some cleaning.  Maybe I'll do some clothes purging again.

Stay warm!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-01-16 7:39 AM
That is a blessing with your brother!  Glad he is doing well.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 7:45 AM
Thanks Mike.  It is indeed a blessing.   He was on so many prayer lists and this was the 3rd liver that was made available.  The first two just weren't good matches for him.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-01-16 8:31 AM Edited 2018-01-16 8:33 AM
I remember that. Didn't know it was 3 years ago. Great to hear your brother is still doing good.

There is a family at our church that is headed to Cincinnati today with their 6 month old daughter. She needs a bone marrow transplant and they recently found a donor match. First there will be a couple weeks of tests. I sure hope things work out for them.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-01-16 8:48 AM
I hope it works out for your church family!

I am just amazed at how well my brother is doing considering how ill he was.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-01-16 9:56 AM
Glad your brother is doing so well.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2018-01-16 3:48 PM
that is some wonderful news.
Parent - By DottieO Date 2018-01-16 4:58 PM
:hug:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday, 16 Nov 2018